Age difference in relationships

Options

Replies

• LButterfly201
    Options
    Biggest age gap - 10 years.
    Smallest gap - 2 Years. (4 Years )
    Current - 7 Years.

I'm 20, and could definitely not date a guy my age currently. different stages of life. It is very much dependant on the people involved.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I was 17, he was 24. The age gap wasn't a problem for us, age is just a number.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oldest person's age divided by 2 plus 7 = as young as you can date without it starting to get weird...

though obviously there are exceptions. don't everyone yell at me, this is certified Dan Savage wisdom and therefore pure gold.
  • LollypopGinger
    LollypopGinger Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and my boyfriend, who I have been with for almost 2 years, is 32. The oldest guy I've ever dated was 38, I was 18, and the youngest guy I've ever dated seriously was 21, when I was 17. I've always liked older men. I think it's because I'm very mature for my age.
  • badjohnnyboy
    badjohnnyboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im 48 and my girlfriend is 36, we train together sometimes, we spend as much time together as we can, but i love her and vice versa
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I used to say that if I couldn't have gone to high school with them, they were out of my age range. I currently have a thing for my 25 year old boss. I'm 31. The interest is mutual but I question the longevity if it all and think "what does he want with a 31 year old when he could have a 21 year old?"
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Not a huge gap, but my husband is 6.5 years older than me.
  • Ella_Bee
    Options
    I've always had issues with dating younger guys than myself, let alone guys same age. Since high school I've always hung out with guys at least 4+ yrs older & therefore only ever dated older.

A few years ago I decided to be less focused on the age of guys. Youngest I've dated was 3yrs younger & that was last year, it didn't last as he was like a male version of me, we're still friend though.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I used to say that if I couldn't have gone to high school with them, they were out of my age range. I currently have a thing for my 25 year old boss. I'm 31. The interest is mutual but I question the longevity if it all and think "what does he want with a 31 year old when he could have a 21 year old?"
    Do you want to marry him? or just friend?
    have been married before? or been in a relationship with someone?
    Wish you all the best, I normally see women fall in love with older men.
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Oh the situation is complicated. I've been divorced. I'm not to keen on getting married anytime soon. we haven't done the "do" but we both want to. Like I said, he's my boss and has a great future in store for himself without me. We try to be rational and end it all now before it becomes serious, but we're so drawn to each other that rationality goes wayward.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So if you are not into a marriage, Then enjoy your life. You know life is short.
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My partner is 12 years younger than me - although to be honest I never met a man who aged past about 3 :laugh:
  • mcguvs
    mcguvs Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was married for 19 years to a woman 9 years younger than me. I liked it. I am currently dating a woman 5 years younger. Its perfect. I no way act or feel like I'm 57
  • lavacake3x
    lavacake3x Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My partner is 12 years younger than me, we have been together for 13 years :flowerforyou: . In my past relationship b4 this my partner was 9 years older than me, we had 3 beautiful girls, and a happy life till he passed away. I believe age does not matter, love matters :heart:
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    my boyfriends 2.5 years older, i'm 23 and he's 26 but were both at the same point in our relationship so him being closer to 30 means nothing. This is my first proper relationship but he's changed my mind on older guys, but i'm soooo not ready for marriage and babies yet even if it has been 3.5 years together now. Theres nothing wrong with dating much older if you have a connection it's just about being in the same place in the relationship !
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You are not an idiot at all. When I was 24 I was involved with someone in her early 30's and it was great. But it ran its course for the same reason. And it is not fair to either of you if you don't want kids or marriage right now, and she does.

I think it's harder when the woman is older if she wants kids because it takes men generally more time to get to that point where they can see having kids. It can work but I think it's not most men who are in that place at 24, at least in American culture.

In the end it comes down to where each of you are at - there are women who never want kids and men who want them early...

I think as a general principle it's nice to be able to go through the same things together and if there's too big a gap it's less likely you will have that in common with someone.
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Its such a shame they u two r not together anymore. Looked like it you were and maybe still is in love. For me personally age gap doesn't bother me. :smile:
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    In life its hard to find someone you feel so strongly about and love so much... age comes into it for all the wrong reasons.. and your concerns about a 40 year old woman giving birth to your children???? Thats pretty much the norm these days... I know friends who have given birth well into their 40s...

what is more important is the way you feel about this woman... and how she feels about you... everything else will fall into place once you both talk about what your future together really means to each other !!!
  • lucyster92
    lucyster92 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i've always dated 3 years older but i wouldn't say no to an older man but i don't think it could ever go younger just because i'm only 20 and boys younger than me or even the same age are just so childish.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The youngest was one year younger than me.

The oldest was 15.5 years older than me, and I've been happily married to him for 18 years now! When we met, I was 19 and he was 35. Everyone of my friends thought I was nuts, but the heart falls for who it wants and doesn't care about age. We are soulmates!