Age difference in relationships

Options

Replies

• arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Edited to add that we have 2 children (ages 6 & 3) and are celebrating our 10 year anniversary tomorrow.

@35andrunning - congrats on your 10yr anniversary tomorrow! my husband and I will be celebrating our 10th on Hallowe'en! :)
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I don't believe age itself should matter, it is how you feel and somewhat how other perceive the relationship, I would look completely silly dating an 18 year old, sick perhaps, so I wouldn't, if I'm with a girl that appears to be near my perceived age, then I'd be fine even if it were a 20 year difference, I thought Demi Moore and Ashton looked good together as an example.

Oldest I dated, 36 when I was 22, didn't last long, we mutually agreed to end it on friendly terms, she was on a rebound from being hurt by divorce and I was in her life then as a tutor for her son.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been 30 since April. I'm turning 25 in a few weeks. Not much of a difference. The only other major difference was also about 5 years.

I'm not really comfortable dating anyone much older. I don't want kids until my late 20s, and I also don't want my childrens' father to be too old to be active with them when they're a bit older.
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    9 years difference for me, she was 25 I was 34. But I've never had a problem with a significant age difference either way. It all depends on compatibility, sharing common interests and who you just click with.

And I'm lovin' the amount of cougars on this thread *straightens tie*
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I date within 5 years.

My dad though checks out girls my age. Which is nasty!!
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    When I was 19, I had a huge crush on a guy who was 38! He came into Wendy's a lot,( I worked there at the time). He was my type all around, built like a tank, blue eyes, and the sweetest personality. We talked on the phone for hours. We started to fall for each other. And No he wasn't out to sleep with a younger woman! I was very grown up for my age, all my friends told me that. I wanted to date him, but I didn't know how to explain my new bf age to my parents. So, we just hung out and what not.

Then when I was 23 I fell for a guy who was 19. He grew up in a strict military family. He was was soooo mature for his age as well, Unlike most men around here. We hit off extremely well, like potential marriage after college well. And we were great lovers as well. I could talk about anything with him, and vice versa. Even though he came from a rich and powerful family ( dad is a lawyer, mom is the commissioner for the state) he never acted like a rich kid. He hated rich ppl, and the fact that his life was always under a microscope . And girls who only wanted to get with him for his money . We were great , till his mom took a new job in Nashville TN. Now he is like 4 to 5 hours away. So I blame her for destroying the relationship.

In the end" age is just a number baby " Jacob Black - New Moon. If the relationship is great, then go with it. Life is to short for numbers ( as long as both ppl are of legal age) Enjoy each other!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Within 4 or 5 years either way is fine with me, if you have chemistry age isn't really a big factor.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not going through all the replies, but in case it hasn't been said, the formula for age difference for guys is half your age plus seven. As long as she's legal, of course. Do the math and and you'll see that I'm right.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My ex was 43 (when I was 29) and I am now 33 and am somehow involved with guys far you get than me now. Assuming it is because I am not looking for nothing serious, but I am actually more attracted to older men.

Oh god, am I going to become a cougar?
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've only date one woman who was older then me, by 2 years. She was also the prettiest. However, most of the women I've dated have been a few years younger then me. I've thought of looking for a trophy wife, a young, good looking girl. The problem is not necessarily the age difference but the maturity and intelligence involved. I just don't want to get involved with someone who likes to play games on their iPhone.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, my boyfriend is 31. He has the mentality of about a 14 year old though, and I love that about him. Age is but a number when you love someone :-)
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've gone 10 years ahead of me and 10 years behind me and had a blast on both outings...
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The oldest was 28 when I was 21. Currently I'm with the youngest person that I've ever been with (3 months older than me, to the day)
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are almost 10 years apart ( currently I'm 32, he's 41 ). It's perfect. I dated someone 18 years older than myself when I was 27 ( making him 45 ) and that wasn't the right fit but it likely had more to do with who he was as a person vs his age. I also dated someone who was 5 years younger than me ( again I was 27, he was 22 ) and I didn't like that at all. That was extremely short term.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What do yu ladies think If the partner is at your age or some monthes diferences?
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    when I was 18 I dated a guy who was 37 (19 years difference) and today he is one of my bestest friends (I am now 33)
    hubby is 11 years old than me
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    My husband is 43, and I am 34.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Youngest was 14 and I was 18. He told me he was 16 and I ended up in jail. Long story.

My husband was 21 and I was 31 when we met. He's more mature than me and an awesome father.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and my partner is 32. At this age, the six years don't seem to make much difference.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I date within 5 years.

My dad though checks out girls my age. Which is nasty!!

My ex husband has a kid that is one year older than me.
    And he is nasty.