Age difference in relationships

Options

Replies

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    17 year age gap, with me at 19 and him at 36. ::hides face in shame:: It was stupid and not a very good experience.

I am seeing someone now who is 9 years older than me and it doesn't seem like that much of an age gap for us. He's 34 and I'll be 25 in a few days.

Whatever works. But at this point in my life I generally write off anyone under 27-30. I have a kid and am stable, I have NO interest in partying or living like most single twenty-somethings.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I've never dated anyone younger than myself. My boyfriend is 10 years older than me. We both want the same things in life and we have a great connection with eachother. When we first met, I thought he was 22 or 24 because he looks young. It's the best relationship I've ever been in.

It depends on the individuals involved though, it's not something that everyone can look past or deal with. You really have to take into account where you are in your life, what you want, where they are in their life and what they want.. And if you two have similar enough goals, a connection, dedication, etc.
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have dated men that are 9yrs younger than myself. I have found that men that young have been too young for me due to maturity; which doesn't mean all men 9 years younger are immature. I now am single and am keeping an open mind with age as I feel some men younger can have the maturity and experience I am looking for. As far as a man being older, I think I would put a limit of 3 years older than myself; but who knows? I do want to say that my experience has been that men are usually looking for women that are younger :(
    Just my thoughts.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are 13 years apart. We met when I was 18 and he was 31. We've been together 22 years, married 18. It's never been an issue. Only once did someone seem to notice. He had to go to the ER for a kidney stone. I was signing him in and the nurse said "OK, hunny you can take your dad right over there to room 2. I didn't skip a beat, I said "come on DAD, let's go!" We laughed about it later, when the pain meds kicked in.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm 33 & the oldest bf that I had was 39 (he's now 40) & the youngest was 24 (he's now 28) but between those two, I feel more attached to the younger one.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Oldest guy was 7.5yrs older, youngest was10yrs younger. I tend to get along better with guys a little younger than me.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    This isn't me but my grandpa was 85 when he married a 54 year old. He's now 93, and she's 62. :)
  • LilEmm
    Options
    My husband and I are 16 years apart. (I'm 31) In our case, he already has kids, and I have never wanted to have children of my own, so it is different for us...kids are not a factor.

However, it is really a shame that you would let go of the best relationship you've ever had because you think 40 is too old for someone to have your children. A woman does not stop being of childbearing years when she is over 39. Wouldn't the children be better raised in the home of two people that are deeply in love, compatible and happy together? With over 50 percent of marriages ending in divorce, I'd think the "best relationship of your life" would be main thing to focus on, not her age.

I echo this :) jennifer lopez had her first babies at 41, 42. We're all living a lot longer these days, and many people are fertile well into their 40s. If not, in vitro is pretty common too. Age really is just a state of mind.
  • chemalurgy
    chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My first and last husbands were both about 15 years younger than me.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    it depends on who you are. my mom is about to be 48 or 49 tomorrow. Her husband is 30. I don't agree only based on his maturity level. But i can't change who she loves. I know that. But for me when i was 16 i dated a guy that was 24. I am now engaged to someone who is no joke exactly 6 months younger than me and he is way up in maturity level
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just celebrated our 27th Anniversary on Sept 20.
    When we got married I was 25 and she was 43. That's 18 yrs for the mathematically challenged. :bigsmile:
    Three kids from her first marriage and we now have 8 grandkids.
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had just turned 18 and he was 27. He was going through chemo and taking care of him was far beyond my maturity level.
    Well, not that I wasn't "mature" for my age. I worked full time and was independent from my parents, but being with someone who was going through that, I couldn't do it. I couldn't be strong enough for him. He was nice though and we never fought. I just couldn't do it.
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my current relationship is w/ a guy that's 30 and i'm 18.
    it maybe a severe age difference but i rly do love him and he treats me like a queen. lol
    my relationships before him were w/ guys around 20 and they all sucked.
    i guess only older men have manners these days....
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My first and last husbands were both about 15 years younger than me.

'last husband'....does that mean you're done with husbands? LOL :bigsmile:
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just celebrated our 27th Anniversary on Sept 20.
    When we got married I was 25 and she was 43. That's 18 yrs for the mathematically challenged. :bigsmile:
    Three kids from her first marriage and we now have 8 grandkids.

Also, this made my insides happy.
    Congratulations on the anniversary and all the grandbabies!!!
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    When I was 20 my first serious relationship was with a man that was 34! I thought he was so mature(totally realized he wasnt)..but we ended up breaking up. We were simply at 2 different points in life. He wanted a house and kids and a big house and I wanted to finish school and maybe get a fish..lol!
    I do tend to date guys older than me, not sure why. In fact Ive never dated anyone more than a month younger than me. I feel like im robbing the cradle ha.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 8 years apart (him 43 and me 35...we met when he was 30 and I was 22). It works very well for us. We've never had a problem with it or any of our friends (who are all around his age since we live in his hometown). The only time I can see it becoming possible issue is when it comes to retirement time. When he's 65, I'll still be 57 and will have to be concerned with insurance, etc. My parents are dealing with this right now and they're only 5 years apart.

Edited to add that we have 2 children (ages 6 & 3) and are celebrating our 10 year anniversary tomorrow.
  • LilEmm
    Options
    When I was 20 my first serious relationship was with a man that was 34! I thought he was so mature(totally realized he wasnt)..but we ended up breaking up. We were simply at 2 different points in life. He wanted a house and kids and a big house and I wanted to finish school and maybe get a fish..lol!
    I do tend to date guys older than me, not sure why. In fact Ive never dated anyone more than a month younger than me. I feel like im robbing the cradle ha.

Maybe get a fish, haha
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my husband and i have an 11 year gap. I'm 33 (just turned) and he's 43 (turning 44 next month). And we've been together 10 years this month! So i have no problem with age gaps big or small as long as it works for the people involved :D
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    When I was single I used to say that if he could be my dad then he was too old. My boyfriend is 7 years older than I am. I have a much easier time going older than I do going younger (i'm about to be 25)