Age difference in relationships

Options

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The rule is "half your age, plus 7", so for example a 14 year old has to date a 14 year old(14/2 equals 7, plus 7), and a 30 year old would date as low as 22(30/2 equals 15 plus 7 equals 22).
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Me 24 and him 36. Age wasn't the issue. There were other things that came up where it wasn't going to work.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and my husband is 52. And I don't take offense to u not wanting to have children with a 40 yo woman. At 40 and now at 43 I wouldn't want to have children with anyone. :). I have 2 kids and love them like crazy. But after taking care of my kids for 19 yrs I'm ready for some "ME" time.

BTW, I love my husband who is 9 yrs older than me. And he's in great shape, and doesn't act his age. ;)
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When once dated a guy that was 13 years older than me. But I tend to go for guys that are about 4-6 years older...my bf now about 5 years older than me
    My dad is 10 years older than my mom.
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    My husband is 14 years older than I am , We have been together 12years

Love to hear this :)
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    8 years between my sons father and i. im 24 he is 32. he'll be 33 in jan our son will be 2 march 4th and ill be 25 march 12th LOL but in instances of maturity, he IS much more mature then what I used to date..which was about 2-4years older then me. Guys in my area are slim pickin if you want someone HALF DECENT....hence the reason I met him in another city 2 hours away lol. i cannot for the life of me see myself dating someone younger then me, the same age as me...possibly maybe, but not younger. I don't do flings and here and there get bys...i do full on meaningful relationships. im not open to giving myself to someone who is just looking for entertainment for the time being!
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    So much variety here it is beautiful :) and I found a lot of people similar .. I am 18 (19 in november) he is 32 (33 next week) and He is Perfect :smile: :heart:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Ladies especially would like your input...

I just turned 35 and am dating a 48-year old woman. It's not really working and I'm really attracted to somebody that is about 26 or 27. Too young?
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My partner is 10 years older than me but looks a lot younger

im 31 hes 41

at these sort of ages i dont think it matters

teenagers with old men is a bit creepy i think, but its their choice
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Biggest age gap for me was 11 years (18 and he was 29), we were together for 2 and a half years and then I realized I wanted to grow up and at his age he wasn't planning to >.>..
    It's different with every couple, I think it depends where both people are 'at' in their points of life. The past couple of guys I've gone on dates with, I find I prefer someone a little bit older, but probably by no more than 5 years.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my last boyfriend he's 8 years older so 31 to my 23
    pretty similar circumstances as for the op ... only not quite... i moved home from uni 3 hours between us, we lasted another year or so but then he was talking about houses and mortgages, like proper grown up stuff, im soo not old enough for that! and im not so sure i want to leave my life here.I like it here! Iv had it in the back of my mind for a while now what if he decides he wants kids i know i dont, I was starting to feel i was holding him back from having a life. So we split up. When i was in the same city it was perfect though...
    x
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    For 3 years, I dated a 41 year old man. I was 28 when we met. He ended up being really emotionally immature. And a hoarder. Ew.

When I was 31, I met my husband. He was 24. It was perfect. He was so responsible and mature. We've been together for almost 5 years and it's awesome. :D
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Biggest age gap with someone I dated was 8 years younger. Biggest age gap from not "dating" is 10 years older. Back before Cougars became all the rage, I was seeing a 36 year old lady when I was 26, and she was smoking hot....and had a smoking hot daughter that was on some beauty pageant circuit.....they looked more like sisters than mom/daughter. Now, I prefer to date women younger than myself because I'd like to have some kiddos at some point.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I always go for older! I can't even tell you the last time with someone my age.. Probably middle school.lol.

Yeah... The oldest and biggest age difference was when i dated a 40 year old..
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My rule has always been that I wouldn't date anyone younger than my oldest kid. I was engaged to a guy who was one month younger than my oldest daughters husband ... that was interesting, lol.
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 16 years apart. (I'm 31) In our case, he already has kids, and I have never wanted to have children of my own, so it is different for us...kids are not a factor.

However, it is really a shame that you would let go of the best relationship you've ever had because you think 40 is too old for someone to have your children. A woman does not stop being of childbearing years when she is over 39. Wouldn't the children be better raised in the home of two people that are deeply in love, compatible and happy together? With over 50 percent of marriages ending in divorce, I'd think the "best relationship of your life" would be main thing to focus on, not her age.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My last boyfriend 8 years older than me. I'm 22 and he's 30
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My partner is 12 years older than I...he is 70, I am 58. But the older you get, the less the difference seems to matter.

This ^ I'm 52, he's 65...love him to death...over 6 years now & going strong....the BEST relationship i've ever had!
  • thedint
    Options
    I'm 28 and my boyfriend is 46 and we have been together over a year. I've had a few previous relationships, one was same age, one was 3-4 years younger, one was about 7 years older. The relationship I am in now is the best relationship I have ever had. My boyfriend treats me the way a woman should be treated and I am grateful to have met him. I wouldn't give him up for anything or anyone. Neither one of us have children so that helps. Every relationship is different. Every person is different. Focus on your own relationship. If I have learned anything, it is that you cannot compare yourself to anyone else and advice from others about your relationship should NOT be taken. It's about you and the other person, no one else. It should be private. Communication!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, but going to be 54 this month. My husband is 36. We met in 2000 when he was 24 and I was 41. We've been together 12 years, married for 10.

We don't have children, if that matters. I didn't come into the relationship with children - I was always waiting for "the right man". I've never been married before.

In every way he is more mature than I am, he is more of the "older grown up" than me.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Personally, I think you should be with this girl OP or go back to her, the one that you obviously love. Children are great but you can always adopt a child or children. It's really difficult to find someone you are really compatible with.