The Gym Etiquette Paradox

Options

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm real fat and I always feel like I'm 'that girl' at the gym, I work out as hard as I can and try and build a sweat up but it feels like I'm nowhere near good enough to be there. Like yesterday I was on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes between jogging and towards the end of the workout I had to slow down and stop to drink some water, I felt so embarrassed! Like I could feel the meatheads looking at me. :(
    I'm obviously aiming to be fitter and be able to manage to run for longer and workout for longer but I feel like if I'm sweating and exhausted, I'm doing it right... right?

:l Should I carry on like this or is there anything else I can do to 'fit in' at the gym?

Don't ever feel like you need to "fit in" at the gym. So you can't jog much longer than 15-20 min, so what? I'll tell you a secret: that's longer than I can run! Don't ever let the way other people look, or the way you think YOU look keep you from trying to be healthier. Do your thing, and don't you dare GAF what others think!
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    At my gym, there are these three pretty little (and skinny!) girls who keep asking me silly questions that could really wait until later. They also tend to watch me and giggle. Then there's this good-looking guy who keeps grabbing my butt and calling me "sexy."

Oh, wait. My gym's at home. Those girls are my kids, and that guy's my hubby! Guess there's not much to do about any of them but love 'em!

PS: No Mabel's here, but there is a fairly elderly kitty who is prone to hairballs...
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'm real fat and I always feel like I'm 'that girl' at the gym, I work out as hard as I can and try and build a sweat up but it feels like I'm nowhere near good enough to be there. Like yesterday I was on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes between jogging and towards the end of the workout I had to slow down and stop to drink some water, I felt so embarrassed! Like I could feel the meatheads looking at me. :(
    I'm obviously aiming to be fitter and be able to manage to run for longer and workout for longer but I feel like if I'm sweating and exhausted, I'm doing it right... right?

:l Should I carry on like this or is there anything else I can do to 'fit in' at the gym?

Don't ever feel like you need to "fit in" at the gym. So you can't jog much longer than 15-20 min, so what? I'll tell you a secret: that's longer than I can run! Don't ever let the way other people look, or the way you think YOU look keep you from trying to be healthier. Do your thing, and don't you dare GAF what others think!

second that rock it no matter what every min on the bike is a min off the couch
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    So, for you.. it's not so much about the size, and more how they use it?

It's always been that way. :)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options

Did I tell you what I'm going to be for Halloween?
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options

Did I tell you what I'm going to be for Halloween?

Yes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB_dHnDsX4ejJ_FbMpzQDK8URRKv0RiZHHqrXtAFcDfNUKFSDF
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out which part is the "paradox"
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Clearly.
    My aberration for like-minded meatheads establishes the paradox.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't like arrogance, from any group. It seems like the groups you identified were separated out based on physical appearance, which doesn't typically set me off. I have strong physical dislike for anyone who acts with arrogance or lack of respect.

Last week, two beautiful young girls were using the mats next to me for ab work while was doing rounds on the heavy bag alternated with core or leg exercises. One gestured to me and said "Show off" to her friend (clearly thinking that my earphones were actually playing music and I wouldn't hear). So uncalled for!

I am least fond of meatheads in the gym. They seem a bit territorial, and I feel "watched" when I venture into the weight room, which is rare. Unfortunately, they can usually see me on the bag, which I use daily, and some have made comments that are overtly sexual and crude. It's just inappropriate.

I agree with you... I don't judge until you give me a reason to.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Clearly.
    My aberration for like-minded meatheads establishes the paradox.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Also, aberration is new to me, and from context I'd assume it meant hostility, animosity, malice, agression, etc. But in order to educate myself I looked it up to be sure, and it is more synonymous with deviation, divergence, abnormality and eccentricity to name a few, so I'm confused even more now. If I'm wrong I'll humbly concede.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Also, aberration is new to me, and from context I'd assume it meant hostility, animosity, malice, agression, etc. But in order to educate myself I looked it up to be sure, and it is more synonymous with deviation, divergence, abnormality and eccentricity to name a few, so I'm confused even more now. If I'm wrong I'll humbly concede.
    You'll just have to take my word on it.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    yeah, but i have to say size + knowledge;) even better
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that your tolerance and patience for others in the gym is directly related to your personal feelings for that particular "type" or "group" of individuals?

Nah, I don't tend to notice 'types'. I find my tolerance for others at the gym is only related to whether or not they are somehow interfering with my workout - for instance, the guys who spend ages just sitting at the machine waiting to do their next set of reps, when they could really get up and let someone else (ie. me!) do their reps in between. Or people that hog the weights area when I want to use it. And people who smell bad.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options

Pfft, from having come down from feeling like I was going to break the equipment, to almost feeling like I "fit in at the gym"... I have way more respect for the overweight girl/guy that's killing it, than the in shape guy that just has to make an appearance. Just keep killing it, you'd be surprised how many people AREN'T judging you in a bad way.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that your tolerance and patience for others in the gym is directly related to your personal feelings for that particular "type" or "group" of individuals?

Nah, I don't tend to notice 'types'. I find my tolerance for others at the gym is only related to whether or not they are somehow interfering with my workout - for instance, the guys who spend ages just sitting at the machine waiting to do their next set of reps, when they could really get up and let someone else (ie. me!) do their reps in between. Or people that hog the weights area when I want to use it. And people who smell bad.
    Ok ok ok. I'll take a bath. Gah.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    In the weight room - there is one particular dude that HOGS the squat rack - while walking back and forth talking to the girls and "coaching" the younger kids on form etc - I seriously want to throat punch him - OH and he doesnt re-rack his weights....

THIS a thousand times over.. Get in, get done, get out... You walked away from the machine? Too f*cking bad, it's mine now, sh*thead... And is it REALLY that hard to re-rack the weights? SERIOUSLY!?

edit: spelling
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of this at my gym. It's small enough that equipment is almost always available. Even when it's busy people seem really polite and I always do my best to return the favor.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    In psychology, we tend to like people who are like us... until it comes to something that we care immensely about and feel slightly competitive about. Having people like us in those fields is the worst possible thing. Think about siblings. You're happy for the sibling who is great at other languages since you have nothing to do with them, but having them score higher than you on a math test, which is "your area", you immediately feel threatened. Same thing goes with the gym with gym-rats.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    In psychology, we tend to like people who are like us... until it comes to something that we care immensely about and feel slightly competitive about. Having people like us in those fields is the worst possible thing. Think about siblings. You're happy for the sibling who is great at other languages since you have nothing to do with them, but having them score higher than you on a math test, which is "your area", you immediately feel threatened. Same thing goes with the gym with gym-rats.
    My sibling only calls me when she's getting sued. Again. And I always save her @ss. Again. I fantasize about learning the "truth" that I was actually adopted.