Hurtful Names!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• kuzurichan
    Options
    By the way, it's funny this thread is in "Motivation and support", haha. It's doing just the opposite. :P
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I remember just before my husband and I married over 21 years ago I was working in a bar/restaurant when one of the women turned to another right in front of me and said God Julie is overweight isint she? I was mortified funny thing is I was size 12 I think thats US 14 I wasnt that big but I felt extremely selfconsious!
  • little_silver_bell
    Options
    Tubby and heffa cow
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    The sad thing it was five girls who said it everyday and it killed my self esteem.

That's horrible. :( I hope you've realized that it's not true by now, but I just wanna give the kid you a big, big hug.
    I think it's wrong that schools punish the person who gets bullied if they fight back. I protested by doing it anyway, then threaten to sue, but that's another topic altogether. Some unsolicited advice: learn to fight back.

No *kitten*. Back then, the teachers said they were unable to do anything because it happened outside the school premises. All they did about the things that actually happened ON school ground, was setting up a meeting with me, my parents, the principal, the parents of the bullies and the bullies themselves. The parents of the bullies never showed up, and the bullies just responded with "whatever", and it ended up just making it all worse, which only resulted in a two week suspension of said bullies. Of course, everything started all over again when they came back. Ah, the efficiency of the Danish school system back then.

In hindsight, I wish I had taken up self defense classes, but instead, I just stayed away from school. Regarding the thing I said about being called stupid, btw; I aced the exams, even though I had been absent at least half of the time, haha. :)
    And then the 'intervention' just gives them even more incentive to keep bullying. I had some success dealing with bullies my way, even though my way is the socially unacceptable way and I'll probably take a lot of heat for recommending it. Bullies only respond to naked aggression and ruthlessness.
  • StrongM0mma
    Options
    I've been called whale, fatty, etc. by classmates back in school.

My mom called me fat, fat&lazy, big girl, etc. keeping in mind I'm 5'8" and was 145 at the time. My friends were all size 0 so that combined with my mom's hurtful remarks, I spent my whole youth thinking I was huge! One baby later and I'm at 176 and my mom still makes comments about my weight. (She's skinny from unhealthy eating habits and insists I adopt her dietary habits).

It's crazy!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My grandmother-in-law said to me at our after-wedding brunch, "It's no wonder you have such a hard time with your weight, the way your family feeds you." Welcome to the family!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my aunt would call me a big ox and make fun of me every time I ate. Then I found out later she had psych issues and a history of anorexia. The people calling you names are the ones with problems, not you.
    Very, very true!!!
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well I only tended to get hassle from neds, whose insults mostly revolve around being gay. Also they get jealous of people with a girlfriend.

So when I was fat(ter) they would call me "a poof" despite the fact I was the one with the girl. Bizarre...
    'neds'?

Oh sorry a scottish word for a chav. If you don't know what a chav is, just imagine the kind of person who robs a house, goes joy-riding and owns a prestige dog.
    I never would have even guessed that there would be a name for someone who does that. You learn something new every day.

Perhaps there was so many of them we had to think up a name for them haha. Oh and 134lb lost?? Good effort
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    fatass and oink oink

When I reach my goal, I probably won't be called those names again, but mean people always think of something to call you to be rude.
  • shireengool
    shireengool Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The people calling you names are the ones with problems, not you.

This is so true, i tottaly agree.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am Canadian but as a child I grew up in the U.S. Some of the boys nicknamed me "Canadian Bacon" and would oink whenever I got on the school bus.

Kids are cruel.

Also, although it wasn't calling me a name, one time my sister-in-law lost a substantial amount of weight. She brought me her "fat" clothes and told me "maybe" I could fit in to some of them. (I am 7" taller than her). By the way....she gained all the weight back a year later!
  • dmnj33
    dmnj33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Screw them. I wanna lose my weight and kick all there *kitten* !!!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I was called manly because I lift weights, and i"m not even muscular
  • slimjoycenow
    slimjoycenow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never really been called names as such, but I was devastated about a year ago. I was trying a jacket on in a store, and it was the biggest size they had (a UK 20). I had already decided it didn't suit me, when this other customer came over, and said to me 'I hope you don't mind me saying, dear, but you really need to go up a size - or lose some weight. You 'could' be such a nice looking person. I hope you don't mind me mentioning it' - yeah, cos I hadn't actually noticed myself! Even worse, I had actually been thinking I DID look pretty good that day, and had been feeling really happy, so I was horrified.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I get told often that I'm "such a large girl" or "wow you're a big one aren't you!" all part and parcel of being 6 feet I guess. I think the worst things I've been called are "man hands" or "Manranda", it certainly didn't feel nice to be told that I am mannish. (high school girls can be such b*tches)

With the weight loss I haven't been getting any negative comments though which is nice, I think my favourite complimentary comment so far has been "how is it possible that EVERY dress we have looks good on you?" hooray for an hourglass figure!
  • kkelly101
    Options
    Got told I look pregnant and pot belly!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I get told often that I'm "such a large girl" or "wow you're a big one aren't you!" all part and parcel of being 6 feet I guess. I think the worst things I've been called are "man hands" or "Manranda", it certainly didn't feel nice to be told that I am mannish. (high school girls can be such b*tches)

With the weight loss I haven't been getting any negative comments though which is nice, I think my favourite complimentary comment so far has been "how is it possible that EVERY dress we have looks good on you?" hooray for an hourglass figure!
    My little sister was tall and strong. She used to pick me up and carry me around. One of my friends started calling her the amazon after she body slammed him one day. Tall and strong women are intimidating. Don't let it bother you. My little brother is over 6 ft. I'm the runt.
  • momofesc
    Options
    Just started my weight loss journey, but I definitely hit a roadblock tonight :( I was called wideload as I was shopping with my husband for our three year old daughters birthday. Im gonna use it as power to go at this journey harder
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i cant say that i have names exactly.....i have situations lol........for example.....i was walking one day(this was a few years ago).....somebody yelled out and told me "to get my fat *kitten* back in the house"..... and also one time i was at a gathering and this lady said "let me get to the table and get my food before this fat boy eats it all"....people are so hurtful sometimes.
  • llamanoir
    llamanoir Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get it more from my family than people on the street. I'm pretty good at not drawing attention to myself, keeping invisible.

I loved my grandma more than anything, and the last thing she said to me before she passed away was a comment about how fat I was.

My older brother the other day: "Have you never heard of eating a salad? I bet you haven't eaten one in your entire life."

Mother: "Get in the car, gorda (translation is "fat one/fat girl"). OMG look at your stomach. Get to a gym."

And they'll say other stuff in Spanish that roughly translates to "fatty," "lard" and "pig."