Why do people.......

Options

Replies

• Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Amen. I didn't do it with the help of my friends telling me I did a good job logging...I don't mean that to sound harsh but it's true. It's great to have friends and to motivate each other but *I* did this myself.

For those who say they're not here to seek opinions of others, why add friends then? Sounds like you can do it all yourself :)
    Actually I CAN do it all by myself. I use MFP as a tool. If I put on weight I can look at my diary and know why, if I'm losing I know why. And I don't see what friends have to do with it. I have real life friends and family and don't feel the need to discuss what I eat with them either unless it comes up in a conversation. And I'm not putting down those that like open diaries, I can understand why you like it that way. I just don't get why there's no understanding for those of us who don't want our diaries open.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I used to be someone who kept my diary private because of all the judgmental people, but recently I've decided to make mine public just to piss them off. It's more fun that way :bigsmile: Let's see, today I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (gasp), tonight I will be having a couple pieces of chocolate, and a couple days ago I had a bowl of chocolate ice cream and potato chips for lunch :noway:

Oh and I also use creamer in my coffee. EVERY MORNING.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've kept mine private because I have a history of disordered eating (both overeating as well as 2 years of practically not eating at all) and I don't want to invite people to criticize, at least at this point. People mean well who offer unsolicited advice and this may change in the future for me, especially if/when I hit a plateau of some kind. But for now, I know that making it public is going to make me want to not log certain things, especially if I go way over my goals.

Also, I think it depends on your mindset when it come to meeting a goal. Some people really need the competition and accountability to others to stay honest. For me, that always messes me up, no matter what we're talking about. I am accountable to me and I compete with myself. :flowerforyou:
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, no offense. I'm sure there are many very nice people out there but y'all (with the exception of the few I have added) are complete strangers to me and I'm not here to seek the opinion and advice of strangers. I don't particularly care what a stranger thinks of me or how I am getting my results. Those I have added are personal friends of mine that I know face to face and trust. My diary is open to them if they want to look. If not, no biggie. I'm sure they all have busy lives and better things to do than keep track of what I'm eating!! But they are very supportive and encouraging and I am glad they are in my life and on this journey with me whether they ever read my diary or not. None of them have ever commented on any of my food entries so I assume they haven't looked which is perfectly fine. It's not all that exciting anyway. My exercise pops up on my news feed so I get cheers about that from time to time. But really I'm not even doing this to impress them....only for my own reasons so I see no reason to get all wrapped up in whether I get any "recognition" for what goes in my diary. It isn't meant to be a flag to wave to show off to the world. It's a tool for me to get me to where I'm going goal wise. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with this. When I get my exercise in, I get some good compliments. As I said in an earlier post, I made mine public but haven't really had a lot of flaming criticisms over it. I don't worry about what other people think of my eating habits. I stick with what works for me, and if they don't like it, tough luck. One of the main reasons I use the diary in the first place is to just make it easier to track what I eat every day. (Of course, some things CAN'T exactly be tracked because some vegetables are home-grown and Asian.) If someone gets ugly with me, I'll just move on. I will not claim to be an expert or better than anyone because my way of doing this is only one way, not the way for everyone.

I'm confused about why home-grown and Asian veggies can't be tracked. I track my veggies that I grow if they are Asian or not.

It's because I don't know the name of the vegetable itself. My mother is Vietnamese, and some of those names...I have no idea how to pronounce them, let alone be able to spell them out. :blushing:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Mine is open only to my friends. I don't need random people commenting on my food choices and how I don't always eat "clean." :grumble:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Well, no offense. I'm sure there are many very nice people out there but y'all (with the exception of the few I have added) are complete strangers to me and I'm not here to seek the opinion and advice of strangers. I don't particularly care what a stranger thinks of me or how I am getting my results. Those I have added are personal friends of mine that I know face to face and trust. My diary is open to them if they want to look. If not, no biggie. I'm sure they all have busy lives and better things to do than keep track of what I'm eating!! But they are very supportive and encouraging and I am glad they are in my life and on this journey with me whether they ever read my diary or not. None of them have ever commented on any of my food entries so I assume they haven't looked which is perfectly fine. It's not all that exciting anyway. My exercise pops up on my news feed so I get cheers about that from time to time. But really I'm not even doing this to impress them....only for my own reasons so I see no reason to get all wrapped up in whether I get any "recognition" for what goes in my diary. It isn't meant to be a flag to wave to show off to the world. It's a tool for me to get me to where I'm going goal wise. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree with this. When I get my exercise in, I get some good compliments. As I said in an earlier post, I made mine public but haven't really had a lot of flaming criticisms over it. I don't worry about what other people think of my eating habits. I stick with what works for me, and if they don't like it, tough luck. One of the main reasons I use the diary in the first place is to just make it easier to track what I eat every day. (Of course, some things CAN'T exactly be tracked because some vegetables are home-grown and Asian.) If someone gets ugly with me, I'll just move on. I will not claim to be an expert or better than anyone because my way of doing this is only one way, not the way for everyone.

I'm confused about why home-grown and Asian veggies can't be tracked. I track my veggies that I grow if they are Asian or not.

It's because I don't know the name of the vegetable itself. My mother is Vietnamese, and some of those names...I have no idea how to pronounce them, let alone be able to spell them out. :blushing:

:) OK I understand now. I guess you can google Vietnamese veggies and see if any pictures match what you've eaten then see if you're lucky enough to find out the calories or otherwise just guess with a veggie that is more common and is similar. I'm sure you get to eat a lot of great things. Vietnamese food is mostly very healthy and delicious!
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be more like a game, so here's my "Why do people..."

Why do people........

NOT go out to happy hour with their happy friends when they are invited. What could be happier than "Happy Hour,"...right? :wink:
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oooohhh...I got another one.

Why do people....

care about eating "clean" (whatever that is.) I'm about eating what I want and making sure it fits my weight loss goal for myself. :wink: I have no prejudices against food.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Oooohhh...I got another one.

Why do people....

care about eating "clean" (whatever that is.) I'm about eating what I want and making sure it fits my weight loss goal for myself. :wink: I have no prejudices against food.

dido
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ive had a few people scrutinize my diet. I keep it open anyway. I dont care what people think. Theyre not doctors, theyre just other people whom Ive "friended" to offer my support and to receive theirs.

But its fun to see what other people are eating. Always good to get some ideas.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If I had it open I don't think I would be honest. Right now I need to be true to myself so keeping it closed for now works for me.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm always open, always have been. I got no problem with ppl seeing what I eat cause I NEVER have a cheat day, NEVER over eat & NEVER go over my calories for the day.

I have no problem in people seeing I eat the same thing every day, to the point I have it saved as meals. I have no problem with strangers asking me what I eat, cause they can see....and I get results from what I eat.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm always open, always have been. I got no problem with ppl seeing what I eat cause I NEVER have a cheat day, NEVER over eat & NEVER go over my calories for the day.

I have no problem in people seeing I eat the same thing every day, to the point I have it saved as meals. I have no problem with strangers asking me what I eat, cause they can see....and I get results from what I eat.

Wow that sounds scary and boring at the same time. Sorry no offence, glad it's working for you of course but most people including myself are going to bust big time if they NEVER have a bit of a "cheat" meal now and again.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Because people being able to see what I put in my food diary doesn't stop me eating bad foods, it stops me logging them. If people can't see then I feel comfortable with logging everything and can look at the days where I've munched my way through 2 bars of chocolate and 3 bags of crisps and actually SEE the effect that that had and see what I could have had for those calories instead and decide that I'd rather have the other (healthier) stuff in future.

If I think other people are looking then I wouldn't log those foods because I'd be worried that someone was going to comment on those 2 bars of chocolate and 3 bags of crisps, so I'd be cheating and not logging and then I'd realise that it's pointless logging half the food and not the other half so I'd give up and not log anything for three months and undo all my progress.

So I'm going to keep it closed.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Wow that sounds scary and boring at the same time. Sorry no offence, glad it's working for you of course but most people including myself are going to bust big time if they NEVER have a bit of a "cheat" meal now and again.

I guess that makes me abnormal cause I would only see it as cheating myself out of all the hard work that I have done. Makes no sense at all. I still eat good things, I even have chocolate & lollies...... but all within limits & therefore no need to have a cheat day & pig out. That's not the whole point of being here for me.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Its because of all the freaks on here. You know who you are
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    if you replace the word diary with "cats" this thread is quite funny...

on that note... my cat is available for the public to look at
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has baffled me, by thecomplexity of theattitudes expressed, particularly the "sour" ones.

For the record, My diary is open, and I welcome ANY useful and constructive inputs that help me achieve my weight loss.
    Those beneficial MFP'ers who wish to make comments please do. Those who have no interest in letting others gain advantage and inspiration, carry on in your own sweet way. (Personally, I find those I have contact with to be supportive, helpful, inspirational and motivational!)
  • saudade108
    Options
    Mine is open...however I'm only about a week into this tracking/logging stuff. :)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Mines open I think. I know it is too friends. Even then you get some comments that are a bit "lecturish"