Count bites not calories

Options

Replies

• Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    but since you sound like you know what you're doing

wow...whack attracts whack

No, I am not whack...And I don't fully agree with this system, I am just trying to be a little supportive when other people are shooting her down. I know it is not healthy to count by bites, but I understand that she is trying to downsize meals. I did say already that as long as you are meeting everything, and you feel ok with what you are doing, then do it. Don't twist my words, I just feel bad for a lady that came here for advice, and instead of gently suggesting it is bad, people just decided to be rude.

Don't call me 'whack' without knowing what I do. Thank you.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What if you eat a small steak? My goodness... it takes a while to chew a piece of steak.
    This IS horribly wrong.

And while I'm not quite at my goal weight I did lose 70lbs and have maintained it for about two years.

And I probably have about 500 bites day.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you are having 20 bites and estimating them at 50 calories then this would put you well under the recommended daily amount of calories. It worries me as it sounds very obsessive and could easily lead to an eating disorder. Please be sensible x

I totally agree. it doesn't sound very healthy in my eyes. But if it works for OP and she wants to do it then so be it. Its her body just like my body is mine. :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have honestly never been on a site where the people are as mean and nasty as here.

Said no one who has ever been on any other website ever....
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    To everyone that is telling me this is horribly wrong, are you at your goal weight? How long did it take you to get there? Are you maintaining it and for how long? Thanks :smile:

Yes, I'm at my goal weight. It took me about 3ish months. Yes, I'm maintaining. I've been on this site for just shy of a year, you do the math.

I ate whatever I wanted, hit my macros, practiced moderation, and exercised.

You got it sister :P
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think you're all taking this a little too seriously. It's not as if she sits and writes down how many bites she has taken, I just see it as a kinda of 'leave some food on your plate system'. Maybe I am receiving it wrong, but in any case, none of these comments are supportive. Whether you like it or not MFP IS here to support each other, whether good ideas or bad,. No one here is in a position to judge what other people do, because if you're here, you likely had terrible eating habits some point in your life. A little help and compassion wouldn't go astray.
  • lanapoo
    lanapoo Posts: 57
    Options
    I have honestly never been on a site where the people are as mean and nasty as here.

We're just a bit worried about your health, both physically and mentally. We're trying to tell you that counting calories is a lot better than counting your bites. I've encountered my own friends go through a horrible eating disorder and trust me, it's not fun to recover from. Also, it doesn't really help you lose weight in the long term.
  • Hadunka
    Hadunka Posts: 59 Member
    Options

No, I am not whack...And I don't fully agree with this system, I am just trying to be a little supportive when other people are shooting her down. I know it is not healthy to count by bites, but I understand that she is trying to downsize meals. I did say already that as long as you are meeting everything, and you feel ok with what you are doing, then do it. Don't twist my words, I just feel bad for a lady that came here for advice, and instead of gently suggesting it is bad, people just decided to be rude.

I don´t think the people have been rude. The lady didn´t come for advice, she came to boast of her new diet and almost everyone (me too) knows that is a stupid idea.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To everyone that is telling me this is horribly wrong, are you at your goal weight? How long did it take you to get there? Are you maintaining it and for how long? Thanks :smile:

Your logic is flawed.....very very flawed.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    OMG picture the infomercial!

"Tired of counting calories?"
    (Video of someone holding a calculator, surrounded in food wrappers, getting flustered and throwing up their hands)
    Try BITE SIZE! The new, easy to follow diet from the makers of Fat Away pills!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I do not have a goal weight but I would say that I've successfully changed my body composition.

I have been training for two years. I am currently maintaining for another day or two and then I will be intentionally gaining weight.

I did this by eating an appropriate number of calories and macronutrients, and picking up weights and then putting them back down again.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

You think this is mean? You shoulda seen the reaction I got when I posted a thread about counting the time I spend on toilet as a workout :(

lolface.jpg
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Said no one who has ever been on any other website ever....

:drinker:

How do people cope with real life when they think everyone on the Internet is so mean.........:huh:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options

You think it's nasty because people are not agreeing with you. You are no willing to hear the dangers of it. At the end of the day it's your life and your health. Do as you wish. Obviously you don't want to make sure you aren't doing yourself any damage, so carry on.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    OMG picture the infomercial!

"Tired of counting calories?"
    (Video of someone holding a calculator, surrounded in food wrappers, getting flustered and throwing up their hands)
    Try BITE SIZE! The new, easy to follow diet from the makers of Fat Away pills!

LOL it's funny because it's true..I can totally picture this.
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is tedious...but counting bites of food isn't? I don't even know what to say to this.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think you're all taking this a little too seriously. It's not as if she sits and writes down how many bites she has taken, I just see it as a kinda of 'leave some food on your plate system'. Maybe I am receiving it wrong, but in any case, none of these comments are supportive. Whether you like it or not MFP IS here to support each other, whether good ideas or bad,. No one here is in a position to judge what other people do, because if you're here, you likely had terrible eating habits some point in your life. A little help and compassion wouldn't go astray.

Only a fool condones and supports ideas they know are bad.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

I don´t think the people have been rude. The lady didn´t come for advice, she came to boast of her new diet and almost everyone (me too) knows that is a stupid idea.

I didn't see a hint of boasting. In that case, no one should be allowed post anything here about how well they done or what methods they are trying out, or how far they have come. Everyone should get off their high horse and either tell this woman WHY you think it is wrong, or try and help. As I said, if everyone here was PERFECT, they would not have come here to improve their lifestyle. We are all in one boat, and it's the same one.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    When obese people have gastric bypass surgery they are only allowed to eat approximately 5 to 10 bites a day for 6 months. They are told to do this by the doctor. If it's ok for them then it's ok for me. I love my new founf energy and hated that sluggish feeling after eating a big volume of food.

WRONG. I signed off for one of my employees to have gastric bypass and that is NOT how it works. I worked with her throughout her weight loss and it's more like 1 Cup of food per MEAL - not 5-10 bites a day. Where on earth did you find such an irrational statistic?

Your method of weight loss is going to whack your metabolism - a metabolism that will slow down even more as you age if you don't treat your body as your temple! You are STARVING YOURSELF!

Losing 9 pounds in a week is absolutely unhealthy for your body. Rapid weight loss may indicate you're losing water or lean tissue, NOT fat. A healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs. a week.

From www.livestrong.com: "A major side effect of losing weight too quickly is the loss of lean muscle tissue. Consuming insufficient calories results in a lack of energy for your body. Instead of your body refueling from the intake of food, your metabolism adjusts so it can preserve its stored energy -- fat -- and begins to digest your muscle tissue for energy."

If you keep this "diet" up, here's what you have to look forward to:

1. GALLSTONES - "clumps of cholesterol that form in the gallbladder when your liver produces excess cholesterol or bile due to rapid weight loss or crash diets." FACT.

2. HAIR LOSS - Ever notice how people with anorexia have THIN hair? Hmm. Coincidence? No. A "short-term side effect of rapid weight loss is thinning or loss of hair. This usually occurs as a result of insufficient protein intake; your body will sacrifice protein derived from hair to support important body functions." FACT.

3. MALNOURISHMENT - FACT.

4. DEHYDRATION - FACT.

5. SAGGING SKIN - FACT.

6. CANCER - You are at an increased risk of it from a lack of fiber moving through your system. FACT.

I could go on but I have paint to watch dry....

Seems you're yet another poster that just wants kudos for losing weight so fast but all of us are piping in and trying to tell you what you are doing is unhealthy. You're hating on posters for disagreeing with you but trying to provide you with FACTS and TRUTHS.

Just like in friendships, just because a friend tells you something you don't want to hear makes what they are saying WRONG. They are saying it to be honest and because they care.

Ponder that, K?
  • smbakk
    smbakk Posts: 15
    Options
    I've lost over 35 lbs in 3.5 months (which is about 2.5 lbs./week) by counting calories (trying to stick to between 1200-1400/day), cutting out sugary drinks that waste valuable calories with zero nutrition, cutting back on portion sizes and limiting sweets, as well as some exercising. I also eat foods that are low or no sugar, low or no fat, etc.
This discussion has been closed.