Beautiful Blues 1/26/10

Options

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have had a rough couple of days! I don't know what it is but I think I am sabotaging myself. I am not even sure why. I have come to realize that I need to focus on what I can eat, not what I can't. Because when I think that I can only have one treat everyday I have two, or three or more. I am also realizing that I really need to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup--I get into a tail spin and feel constantly hungry when I have any. :explode: :grumble: I am feeling grumpy and am going to go see how many calories I can burn today. I need to not gain when I weighin on Monday!!!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    debnu- I'm glad you are here with us. We're all in this together!!! I feel my blood sugar spike when I have too many sweets without protein. Hang in there!!!! You can do this!!! Try something different. What I do is first log in the foods or snacks that I absolutely love and must have, and log in dinner since it's a bigger meal for me. Then I work my food diary around. I play with my diary kinda like an accountant would play with their checkbook.... :)

jg- I just read a big chunk of the Jillian Michael's book you're reading and I love it. I calculated my AMR and have a good idea of what I need to eat to lose my goal of 2lbs a week. There's also a quiz there to calculate your type of metabolism and what the right % is that you need to eat for your macronutrients of carbs, fat, and protein. She mentions there's the fast oxidizer, slow oxidizer, and balanced. Basically I'm a fast oxidizer which means that I burn through foods very quickly and when I eat alot of carbs my body burns it really quickly and all the extra insulin the body produces gets stored into fat. I do best with protein at every meal since they burn slowly and some carbs. For my type she recommends carbs: 20%, protein 50% and fat 30%. I took the quiz and realized that I usually feel very satisfied with peanut butter and nuts, and meats, and too many carbs make me crave them. The other types need to eat differently and can eat more carbs. ( I wished I were another type!!!!) hehe. I decided to give this a try, I guess it won't hurt. I've noticed that lately losing the pounds have become a bit tough for me, even with all the workouts I'm doing. She mentions that not eating right for your metabolic type can make losing weight very difficult.

Did you take this quiz yet????

Today I took it slower and did 32 minutes of Shaun T's Cardio Recovery. Great sweat, and stretch!!!

Have a good day all!!!!
  • MayLan
    Options
    Hi all- Here's the quiz and an excerpt from Jillian Michael's book, if anyone would like to try to find your metabolic type.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Hi all- Here's the quiz and an excerpt from Jillian Michael's book, if anyone would like to try to find your metabolic type.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247

I haven't taken the quiz because i didn't want to write in the book. but i will go online and take the quiz now.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Mornin all

I wanted to workout so bad last night that I did the shred i just modified some of the moves so I wouldn't have to bend my knees too much. I feel better after doing it and might try the elliptical tonight Having a hard time typing with Lexi running around on the bed like an idiot took her to the vet yesterday and she has gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks:noway:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Mornin all

I wanted to workout so bad last night that I did the shred i just modified some of the moves so I wouldn't have to bend my knees too much. I feel better after doing it and might try the elliptical tonight Having a hard time typing with Lexi running around on the bed like an idiot took her to the vet yesterday and she has gained 6 pounds in 3 weeks:noway:

Great way to find a work out and modify it to not put pressure on the knees.

But STAY OFF THE ELLIPTICAL. Sorry for the caps, but it was 3-5 days ago that you used it and your knees were totally sore the next day?? You need to stay off that for a while at least those knees heal up better.
  • thumper44
    Options
    I just did the quiz. Balanced and should eat a ratio of 40% 30% 30% c, p, f.

This is what I was doing,but wasn't paying attention to it 100%.

It's the ratio for the zone diet, and also mentioned in that weblink that we should eat each meal to our ratio and not just one macronutrient. Add fats to that carb/protein meal add nuts to your fruit/cottage cheese snack.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    OK, my new recipe for today was good:
    Taste of Home Southwest Chicken (I entered in the database)
    1 can corn, drained
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    16 oz. salsa
    5 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz each)

Put 2/3 of the corn, beans and salsa in crockpot, lay the chicken on top, cover with rest of corn, beans, and salsa. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred the chicken and return to crock pot. One cup has 234 calories.

I had mine with a low carb tortilla, a little sour cream, and lettuce. Yummy!
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    just got off of the treadmill and doing the stairs for a calorie burn of 1265 holy crap that is a lot of calories. I think I can do the 5k this summer. O I'm really hoping I can.
  • MayLan
    Options
    HI everybody,

msh0530- That dish sounds so yummy!!!!!!!

Had a good day today and feeling positive. My workout was cut short by visitors but I managed to get in 40 minute workout with Shaun T Insanity Plyometric cardio circuit.

Have a great Sunday all!!!
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    we are in the middle of another snow storm YAY us. he he. School is already two hrs late. I can't wait for Jillian to kick my butt in last min workout tomorrow morning. :noway: I really hope my hubby will be smart and not travel tomorrow as he travels about 40 miles to work. ugh. I worry about him traveling in this weather. And hey if he stays home that means he can blow snow. :bigsmile:
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well. No weight loss for me this week, but that's ok. We hosted a fondue party this weekend and I over ate. I worked out extra hard Sat and Sun to help make up for it. Ran 4.5 miles on Sun + 30 mins on elliptical!! Today is a spin class.

On the bright side, I had a trainer at the gym test my body fat on Saturday (before the fondue party - hehe). I am at 26%. Although, online body fat percentage charts vary, I think I am in a normal range. The trainer said I should aim for 25%... so that's what I'm gonna work on. I am hoping that the daily 30 day shred workouts will help built a little muscle.

Those on the East Coast - good luck with the snow!!

msh0530 - I love slow cooker recipes!! Thanks. I will have to try that one.

almomay - I took the Jillian test too. I am a balanced person apparently. So I need to find more ways to reduce my carbs... I heart carbs!! I guess I'll need to get in more salads!
  • smadag1
    Options
    Mornon blues

I need to change my ticker because the meds I was on for 3 weeks helped me put some weight back on along with my own bad judgement, but I want to wait and see if coming off the meds will help the weight go away. If I don't see a change by Next Weigh in I will change my ticker to what it should read.(lets hope it comes off easily) I should have my P90x by Wednesday or Thursday I am excited to start but will listen to what the Orthapedist tells me when I go see him. I hope he tells me I can workout but to modify what I don't think I can do and gives me a better brace.

Here is to a great week:drinker:
  • MayLan
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Snow never came in to NYC, interesting..... Today I'll be doing p90x Kenpo x and Insanity Insane abs for a total of 90 minutes.

Taradise- Wow, superb checkup with the trainer. That's an awesome fat %. Girl, you are working it!!!

Have a great day all!!!!
  • thumper44
    Options
    Good afternoon all.
    Well I didn't do too bad yesterday at superbowl party. No alcohol, and filled up my water bottle quite a few times. Had some bad food, but it was my cheat day.
    Jumped on the scale today and was suprised to be down.. woo hooo.
    Had a good 775 calorie burn.
    Have a good day all.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am about to take the oxidation quiz. I may have to find jillian's book and read it. I have been reading another book called 10 years thinner. It is really interesting. She talks about how your body needs to be balanced to work right...makes sense. The main premise is to cut back to protein and fruits and vegies. How our ancestors used to eat... I don't buy into it all but some of it is very interesting.

My weight wasn't good this morning, I am starting fresh--my goal this week is to get 4 servings of vegies everyday. I may need help with this one. :tongue:

Have a great day everyone!
  • smadag1
    Options
    I am with you Debnu I am starting fresh this week. My goal is to make healthier choices for breakfast and lunch plus get at least 4 workouts in this week.

Does anyone else drink Ensure I am wondering if it is contributing to my weight gain?
    What are some of you favorite low cal snacks that I can bring to work that will keep me full?
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    debnu1 - Wow 4 servings of veggies!! I struggle to get in 2! Good for you! Keep it up.

almomay - lucky that you missed all that snow the DC area is getting. P.S. - I've noticed your status updates with some losses! Great job!

smadag1 - nope, I don't drink Ensure. Low cal snack ideas: Apples, bananas, rice cakes + PB, Hard boiled eggs, yogurt + strawberries, light Laughing Cow cheese triangle + low cal crackers. I'm sure there are tons more.
  • thumper44
    Options
    I am with you Debnu I am starting fresh this week. My goal is to make healthier choices for breakfast and lunch plus get at least 4 workouts in this week.

Does anyone else drink Ensure I am wondering if it is contributing to my weight gain?
    What are some of you favorite low cal snacks that I can bring to work that will keep me full?
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ensure like all those meal replacement drinks that are out on the market have sugar to make them taste good.

Ensure for 8 fl oz - 236ml - Has 18 grams of sugar.
    To compare to other sweet drinks.
    Sprite, Pepsi, Coke, MInute Maid OJ all have from 24-30grams of sugar per 8 fl oz.

This is off a website, since I don't have 1 in front of me.

Here is the ingredient list for “Ensure”: water, sugar (sucrose), corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), calcium caseinate, high-oleic safflower oil, canola oil, soy protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, corn oil, calcium phosphate tribasic, potassium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, sodium citrate, magnesium chloride, salt (sodium chloride), carrageenan, choline chloride, potassium chloride, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

And they list the ingredients from the most being used.
    So there's
    Water, Sugar(sucrose) , Corn Syrup (more Sugar), and maltodextrin (more sugar).
    Then 3 ingrediens down 3 vegetable oils (Safflower, canola, and corn)

There's alot more healthier stuff you can have for breakfast, that's for sure.
  • MayLan
    Options
    debnu- Great idea on including more veggies. They're definitely full of fiber and vitamins.

tthumper & smadag- I don't drink Ensure, so I don't know what to say. But, have you tried whey protein? You can add in fruit. Actually for breakfast one of my sides is a green smoothie, which are really popular in the raw foodist world. My favorite is the following: spinach, banana, berries (just add water and blend). THe more banana you add, the sweeter it is. You can also use other fruits, like mango, etc.

Taradise- Thanks!!! Yeah, my weight loss ticker is finally moving.

I switched my carb, protein, and fat percentages to what Jillian suggested and today is only day 3 and I seriously feel my stomach getting flatter, and myself getting skinnier. I feel like I have less water in my system and I am so full from all the foods I'm eating, I don't want to snack anymore. The only thing is that because I reduced my carb amount I have not been getting in my fiber and have been constipated. But, I thought of something that is high fiber, low carb, which is ground flaxseed. I'm going to have my hubby get me ground flaxseed from GNC and I'll just add the tablespoons to my drinks. I think it will work!!! Hehe.....

Talk to you later!!!!