WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. What a nice day today. I am resolved to start logging my food again now that I am eating and feel better, but the dreaded clinical starts up again Monday. I have Monday, then the rest of the week off clinical (class Tuesday but off Wednesday), then 5 more days to go before I get a nice long break. I have to get back in the habit of coming here daily again. I had been logging in at lunchtime at work, but lately it’s one interruption after the other and I can’t finish! :angry:

Well DH and the kids went to the dentist today and they stopped at the donut shop on the way back. It’s a tradition starting from when we got the kids. Our dentist is located between 2 donut shops which I find hilarious, so after teeth cleaning, we would stop and get a donut. :laugh: Somehow that morphed into getting a dozen. BAH! So today I only ate one and logged it. Progress!

I am much improved today. Still have the drainage but no pressure, no headache, and so far no nausea from my meds. The last several days I have been alternately nauseated and then I get a growling painful stomach only relieved by food. So I am hoping that’s gone.

JB: WOW 70 pounds. That is fabulous. And you have cute dogs too! :flowerforyou:

Laura: I do hope your Fabulous Friday was fantastic!!! November is a hard month for us here food wise, not just thanksgiving but both daughters’ birthdays, so 2 cakes. The 2nd one is Monday. We went to some friends for dinner last night and he is a very low fat person and is athletic and very lean, so usually they serve very healthy foods, including dessert. Well , not last night….lasagna and peppermint cream pie. :frown:

Wessecg: I don’t think you are cheating by weighing again, but I do think you should pick a day and stick with it. Those day-=to-day fluctuations will even out over time.

M: go right ahead and brag shamelessly! You deserve it!:flowerforyou:

JaneHadji: I’m with you on eating out. We often went to the officer’s club for Sunday brunch, but very rarely to “real” restaurants. So I too enjoy eating out. DH and I try to go every other week (we were going every week but cut down when I started here). Omaha has more restaurants per capita that any other city in the country, so you could literally go to a new place each day.

Jane Martin: your church fundraiser sounds like it will be a success. I love the smell of tomato sauce!

Rose: sounds like you are doing well with your goals. Good job!:flowerforyou:

Lynn : wow you sound busy and you have accomplished so much. Best wishes to get that house sold!

Geri: oh your poor puppy! Benny Beagle and I are sending get well soon wishes for him. He’s lucky to have you.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’m jealous. You have bought Christmas gifts already??? I really don’t enjoy the season and put off buying things til the last minute…work got me that way as I used to be enamored of it and started shopping in September. I hope to be a little more organized this year. I think if I can slow things down I’ll enjoy it again.

Katia: I have no experience with plastic surgery, but my best friend does! I wouldn’t recommend what she did though…had a WHOLE BODY tuck in south america someplace. Scary!!!!! :noway:

Sasha: your smoothies made me laugh when you described the colors!:sick:

Michele: I don’t know how you keep up your active lifestyle! You always sound crazy busy!

Evie: welcome. My mother died 2 years ago…oh my gosh….will be 3 in January, but my dad is very frail and he had to go to a nursing home this summer. He is only 2 minutes from our house, so someone is there nearly daily.

Anyone have a good chili recipe? The one I made really wasn’t great…it was ok, but not spectacular. I like that thick, tomato=y taste.

Well, time to take DD#1 to get her hair cut and highlighted for mother daughter day. Working on the book after that probably for the rest of the day. Tomorrow is church and getting organized for the holiday. I have done the majority of the shopping but need to get the fresh stuff and some things that have come up, so I’ll be making my usual Sunday grocery list tomorrow. I want to shop for a couple days afterwards too so I don’t have to fight the crowds.

Take care and make it a good day. Meg:drinker:
  • Alicestella54
    Alicestella54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can hang with me, I'm a preschool teacher and 50+ years...Welcome aboard..

Aliceatella54:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!
    Got to the gym with my daughter ,she did an hour on the treadmill.I did 10 min,can`t push it too much with the knee.
    Have a baby shower at the church ,making soup for it.
    Hope everyone has a great week-end.
    HUGS
    jane
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    We need her name so we can be like her too!! It can be our new motto "Be like Myrtle!!"

I was sooooo disappointed with my weigh in today. I don't know if I'm going to log it or not. I was down .4 but I know it should be better than that. When I got to work I went to the restroom and I think I weigh less now :wink: I got on the work scale and I weighed 3 pounds less on it today than yesterday. So I'm thinking I will re-weigh tomorrow morning and then log it. Is that cheating?

I don't think it's cheating...sorry the loss was so small this AM ...but it's still a loss...I too would be tempted (and probably would change it) to change it to whatever the weight is tomorrow.

It's NOT cheating!!!! Weight fluxuates! When I get on the scale if it is lower than what I have previously recorded I enter it and that is my new low weight!! Works for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it)))
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I think that the body tries hard to keep fat and I have noticed that dedicated, and highly disciplined, body builders who log their weight loss, have up- down, up-down almost constantly, but overall the weight is a steady decline when the lows are plotted.

If it helps, I suggest giving up a scheduled weight day if it is weekly. You could be having a bloat day. and maybe you hsould allow a longer period...I always know when when some weight has dropped... I can feel it through my muscles..... and I also like to use NSV's....this way, if I have been following my program, I know that when I get on a scale, there should be a reasonable result...of al least a pound...hopefully more.

Keep what works, throw out the rest! Good luck
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: The results of my mammogram came in the mail today (the test was on Thursday afternoon). The results were negative---no problems seen. Jake was visibly relieved at hearing the results. I don’t think I’ve ever realized how concerned he was about the mammogram…….I guess I’m pretty self-involved to not have thought about his feelings.

:flowerforyou: Last night just about the time I was headed for bed I got a phone call from my friend who splits her time between Texas and Washington. She had a problem that she wanted to process with me before she made a decision. When she’s here, we meet regularly for a long walk and talk about once a week……so since I was used to walking while talking to her, I walked the whole time I was on the phone. 28 minutes on the phone added a lot of steps to my pedometer.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I love your catapult project with cotton balls instead of marshmallows. When I was teaching, a group of parents brought it to our attention that many children and families were uncomfortable about our use of food for craft and math projects. It seemed wasteful to them to use food for projects when people were hungry. That made a huge impact on me.

:bigsmile: Jb, your dogs in hats picture is great…..I showed it to Jake and he liked it so much that I was concerned that he’d ask me to knit hats for Brandy and Sasha.

:grumble: There have been coyotes on the property where Jake was house sitting last summer. The dogs have gotten over the fence twice chasing them and one dog was bitten by a coyote. Today one of the coyotes was spotted stalking the small horse. Jake has been involved in efforts to move the horses to a safer place and work with a contractor to build better fences. There is also talk about ways to get rid of the coyotes. There was logging on nearby properties and it’s possible that the coyotes’ habitat was disturbed and they’re looking for a new place to live and hunt.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Tonight I`m keeping it short! It`s been a really busy day moving furniture upstairs from downstairs, and I`m tired and a bit cranky:ohwell: . I`ve already lost one post on here this morning too, and the computer seems to have a mind of its own tonight:huh: :noway: !

Barbie:smile: So very very glad your results show that you are just fine!!! Give a big hug and kiss to Jake for worrying about it too, he loves you very much:smooched: :heart: :love: !!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!!! I`m taking my cranky self to bed now, maybe sleep is what I need:yawn:!

Sleep well and sweet dreams! Until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - taking your daughter out to dinner is waaaay more important than what the scale says. Good for you opting to spend time with her. Before you know it, she won't be at home any longer. Vince got a cortisone shot one time in his elbow. He said that he wished they'd just cut his arm off, it hurt so much. But as someone told him, that went away and he was much better. I'm sure you'll be the same way

Jen - I'm the same way with beans, but if they're in a different consistency (like ground up), that I can handle. But plain beans? Nope.

Got up today and made brownies to take with me for Thanksgiving (I just put them in the freezer), went to yoga, to one store, home and made some low fat oatmeal raisin cookies for Thanksgiving. Since I'm about the only one who'll eat them, I'll probably have enough for Christmas, too. Then I made 7 layer bars to take with me, they're in the refrigerator right now. I'll probably cut them up tomorrow. Right now I have an angel food apple spice cake in the oven which I'll freeze and take with me. I'm thinking that I may have to make some chocolate chip cookies for Vince because he won't eat the oatmeal raisin cookies, probably won't the 7 layer bars, most likely not the angel food cake, so I need to have something that he'll eat besides the brownies. Tomorrow I'll do a pilates DVD

I was feeling so very good not eating any sweets, but that cookie dough just called my name (as usual). In a way, can't wait for the holidays to be over. Still need to makef the sweet potato casserole.

Meg - glad to hear you're feeling better. Peppermint cream pie -- sounds delish. I can't get over how many people go out to eat, and there's all this talk about obesity and hard economic times! Not in the restaurant field.

jane - what kind of soup did you make? Have fun at the shower!

barbie - so glad that you got confirmation that your mammo was OK. I knew it would be.

Well, made those chocolate chip cookies for Vince. I HAD to have some of the cookie dough, now I feel "yuk". Why do I do this to myself? How I wish there was some way that I could avoid it.

Well, here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We're on the road. Tonight we're staying with my SIL, and we'll be here until Monday morning. We plan to be at our daughter's by Tuesday evening. Meanwhile, I'm logging my calories and hoping for the best.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I had a fun day with my 7 year old grandson today, teaching him to sew and cook. He made a pillow, applesauce barbecue chicken, bread machine garlic bread, and pumpkin pie cake. We managed to squeeze in time to visit a friend for her 80th birthday today, and took my dog with us to see her. This tired Grandma needs to hit the hay! Goodnight! Mary
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    Hubby made it to NY with the medical vans and dropped them off. Sleeping there last night and headed back towards the BIG EASY today. Hopefully home tomorrow:love:

Up early today even though my walking buddy begged off for this morning. I am going to head out and do my jogging thing again - this will be the SECOND time in my life. But once I actually did it one (for only a little over a mile) I now seem to be obsessed with trying it again. :glasses: Besides it's Sunday and it is best to make sure I have a few extra calories to play with. Between church and the dreaded doughnuts that will be there:noway: , the possibility of going out to eat with friends for lunch:flowerforyou: , and the fact that my Saints play at three and they could send me into a stress eating moment or two:tongue: extra calories are always helpful. Who knows maybe I will manage to get through all of those temptations and my adventure in jogging this morning will leave me with a calorie deficit - YAY!!!!:smile:

Meg - keep up the logging. If we are aware of what we put in our mouths we do not tend to put as much!:bigsmile:

Jane - good for you on the treadmill. walking or running on the treadmill is pure torture for me - good thing I live in the south and can usually get outside for my walking!

BJM - love you comments on weight loss. Definitely agree. Especially for women. Our weight fluxuates so much. Weigh regularly and take the lowest. It's all a trend and as long as the trend is downward overall - YAY:smile:

Barbie - great news on the mammo results!

DeeDee - the thought of moving furniture makes me tired, much less up and down stairs!!!

Exermom - COOKIE DOUGH - I'm with you, just can't resist it. When I am around it I just have to make room in my calorie count for it, but I have learned (the hard way) that one spoonful is enough - if more I feel yucky!!!

Katia - praying for safe travels!

MSH - you sound like an AWESOME GRANDMA!!!:smooched:

Well I think I am ready to go brave the cold outside (it's 48 degrees) and YES I am a SOUTHERN GIRL and I like it HOT:devil:

Take care, have a blessed day - remember This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it!

WhoDat Lizzie
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Yesterday was really busy in the stores all day. Plus a friend's daughters bridal shower and than a scentsy party to help support another friend . With the normal cleaning/ Like to say today will be more relax but can't promise that i work on Monday and work all the way up to thanksgiving things need to get done.

@Lizzie--glad to hear that your DH arrive safely inNYC. Have a good jog!
    @Barbie Yay on the good results!!
    @Wow Dee you sound busy and getting a good workout in with furniture moving.
    @Meg good to hear that you are feeling better. The peppermint pie sounds yummy!
    @Michele i am with you on beans i eat them but must be mixed in something
    @Jane-- great about the treadmill.

Well I need to get going now start getting breakfast ready than church, Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!

Liz
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Sunday in Ny :flowerforyou: cold but sunny!

Had a busy day yesterday...I did make my version of the kale soup...no beans but used about a cup of quinea (sp?) a can of diced tomatoes, celery, onion and both hot and sweet sausage...jury is still out on flavor...my mother was over for Saturday lunch and was helping me with flavor/spice adjustments....have I mentioned she lost most of her sense of taste after her two brain aneurism surgeries...gotta love her, she raised six kids and I am sure I was not always the help she needed either!:wink:

Had a massage yesterday...oooh, aaaah - yup still feels great and my tiara fits just fine, thank you!!! :laugh:

Not sure what today's plan is..dh was going to demo the kitchen wall and window, but is going to wait until next week...he normally has mondays off but is working this week...he is your local appliance service guy and for some reason nobody's stove works the week before thanksgiving. Dd is coming to hang out this pm...not sure if she and dbf are here for dinner, overnight so I guess I will plan for dinner and if they don't stay it will be one night less to cook.

Yesterday I had to go (was dreading it) to nephews dgf glass art show home party...it was actually fun and the items were gorgeous...jewelry, clocks, bowls, cheese/serving plates. I ended up buying a bracelet and earrings and was glad I went...nsv there was all kinds of snacky food there but I had a good lunch with mom and had no trouble avoiding even a taste...hmmmm perhaps there is a lesson there?!

Meg -glad you are feeling better:flowerforyou:
    barbie - glad good results on mammon..mine is scheduled in the next week or so...if I ever finish my hat I could send it for one of the dogs...but it might be just a tad embarrassing even for them as the rookie knitting project!:wink:

Wish I could reply to more but don't have split screen capability (I don't think) on kindle and now hate using desktop!!

Enjoy the day...Jb tried to come up with alliteration but sunny Sunday was sadly without an s word to finish!

Hugs for joy, prayers for hope and high fives because they are fun!
    :heart:
    jen
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Sweet, Splendid Sunday! On this day we must not Stall, Stagger, Stumble or Slip. Think Shrink! Think Slender! Be Sprightly and Spry. Smile, and keep the Spark in your eyes. :flowerforyou:

Now that I've finished scanning the "S" pages in my thesaurus :laugh: I can buckle down to the business of Sunday. There's so much to be done and I'm frantically searching for the Start button. It's buried somewhere under piles of paperwork on my desk, stacks of books on the piano, or possibly under the furniture in fluffs of dog hair. Oh, wait, I think I see there on the bottom of my closet amongst bags of clothes to be donated and shoes I'll never wear. The reality of gardening-be-gone :sad: is settling in on this cold, rainy day. There should be a four letter word for housework, lol. :tongue:

It's true, I'm not a fastidious housekeeper. But this is the time of year I must take heed of the messages in The Happiness Project and put my foot down firmly on the accelerator. I've wandered around this past week feeling overwhelmed by how many chores need attending to. Sort and store seeds I've collected, put them in envelopes and label. Clean out my car! Wash all of the windows screens in the house, remove the A/C unit from the kitchen, put the storm windows down. Conquer the cobwebs! Clean out closets and donate. Then there's the garage.:explode: What a mess.

I do so appreciate having this wonderful place to share ideas, plans, successes and woes!

Michele, not eating sweets is a very difficult thing. :ohwell: Once I get started it's all over and I just want more. I'm trying so very hard to stay away from sugar and doing pretty well for the most part. However, I did buy that container of Dreyer's Limited Edition 1/2 fat Peppermint Ice Cream yesterday. Oh mercy me, lol. I don't know how you manage to not sample every single thing you make! My goodness, you're such a busy baker! :bigsmile:

Barbie, I got a good chuckle reading that you showed the dogs in hats pic to Jake. Have you started knitting yet? :laugh:

M, the other day you wrote some wonderful words about how foods can affect our moods. Right you are. Well said! Your words are gentle and true. :flowerforyou:

I've run out of time, but I'll check back later if I have a chance. Wishing you all a great day!

:smile: jb from soggy, soppy, soaking wet Portland
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all! It is a beautiful sunny Sunday here. I plan to work on the book for a few hours, make another grocery list since I just figured out I have to go tomorrow (!), and who knows what else. I’ll find some exercise time too. I’m still having nausea from the antibiotics…kind of disappointing since yesterday I was fine so I thought I was over it. BLEH.:sick: I slept til 9:30…what a treat for me! Tomorrow it’s back to up at 4:30. It’s so odd. When I get up at 4:30 or 5 I feel great all day. When I sleep later…even til 6 I’m tired and draggy all day, but I just have such a hard time getting myself out of bed early when I don’t have to.

I really need to get serious and focus more on my weight, health and exercise. I’ve been thinking a lot about this; I do this every time. I do fine for a while, then something comes up and I have a legit excuse for not doing so well (in this case my anniversary weekend trip followed by my trip to PA followed by being sick), but then I don’t get back on track. Then I start feeling like “I don’t really care.” :indifferent: That’s when I have gained all this weight. I gain more than I lost. Anyone else have this issue? IF so what did you do about it?

Barbie: good news on the mammogram. :smile: Were you concerned before the results came back? Coyotes…we live in the ‘burbs but still hear them at night, way off in the distance howling. It’s so peaceful to me but I imagine they can cause problems!

DeeDee: I hope you woke up this morning to a better day and better mood! I hate those kind of days. :flowerforyou:

Michele: The restaurant business here in Omaha is doing quite well, even with the addition of a 5% restaurant tax that is new this year. I do wish they would not serve such huge platters of food though. I always cut everything in half and still it’s too much. The pie was fabulous. Some is still in our freezer. I don’t think our friends liked it too much because they sent it back home with us! I can’t eat cookie dough though!

Katia: have a safe and fun trip.

Mary: sounds like you and DS had so much fun!

Whodatlizzie: We always have some sort of treat after church too. I try to make things “altered” with less fat and cals, then we have a big dinner, so I’m with you banking up the calories for Sundays!

Liz: sounds like your day was busy too. Hope today is more peaceful.

Jen: I Had to laugh reading what you said about no one’s stove works the week before Thanksgiving. :laugh: We have rental properties and the first cold day, no one’s heat works even though they have all been serviced. What is funny is that we rent to a lot of refugees, mostly non-English speaking, and it’s a matter of not remembering how to use it! Our maintenance guy is so nice…no charge. And a free lesson in how to use the things in your place!

Jb: wow I am in wonderment with your words which are wise and …um…..weally weally great! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Actually I really did love it especially about being spry! I spend most of my time being totally overwhelmed with all I have to do. Especially this time of year…on top of the holidays and both DD birthdays, I am basically 2 full time people at work. Then the books. So it’s crazy.

We have papers stacked everywhere too. I don’t clean at all….we have someone once a week but she just surface cleans, so we try to do one deep cleaning a month (most months, not December…too busy) and yesterday DD#2 did the dining room. Some days I hold my breath wondering how I ‘m going to get through it all.

Well, speaking of which, the book is calling. It’s noon already and I need to be productive! Take care and enjoy this day. Meg:drinker:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've started my Christmas shopping, which is unusually organized and early for me! Since we're going to be gone most of the first half of December, I thought I'd better get on it. I usually send money for my brother's kids in Hawaii, as the cost to ship gifts there is often more than the presents cost. I discovered that walmart.com was actually having free shipping to Hawaii yesterday, so I ordered toys sent (including a pogo stick that I would never have been able to mail). That's so much nicer for younger kids than getting a check!

Meg -- How funny that your dentist is sandwiched between donut shops! I'm glad you're finally feeling better... it seems like it's been a long haul. Interesting trivia that Omaha has the most restaurants per capita. I wonder why? It's always hard to get started again when you've taken time off of your eating plan. And if things are either really wrong, or conversely, if you're feeling really content with things in your life, it's sometimes hard to care about weight. I always find that the first day is the hardest, and it gets a little easier with each progressive day. Just start logging again, even if you aren't sticking to the calories yet, and it will come. Don't lose the progress that you've made! I've done that, too, and always regret it later when I do care.

Barbie -- I'm glad that the mammogram came back good, and that you took the time to care for yourself and do it.

Michele -- I can't resist cookie dough, either, and chocolate chip is the best! I haven't dared to bake anything at all since I started this in July, but I'd definitely have a hard time staying out of it if it was here. The kids are gone and hubby doesn't care much about sweets, so I'd just be making it for me.

Jen -- The glass art show sounds really nice. I love colored glass! I even took classes and made stained glass windows for a while as a hobby. I always make hubby stop at the shops with the glasswork, just so I can look.
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just saw a post that said SIX WEEKS UNTIL NEW YEARS!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

My computer, actually more likely the internet is acting up today:explode: !!! I have over 100 emails and not one of them will load:mad: . I`ve spent nearly two hours this afternoon on this #&^%$, the only thing I have to show for it, is a bad attitude:grumble: !
    I am now going out to eat dinner with the granddaughters and I will be having a glass of wine, more than likely two and if I didn`t have to drive I would probably have 3:ohwell: . I will try and get back tonight, if not...hope you all have a wonderful night!
    Now I`m going to hold my breath until I hit the reply button and this actually posts!

Hugs,
    Grumpy DeeDee
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Missing chatting to all of you so much!:cry:
    My hand is still with numbness/tingling in certain positions

. Anyway, I just want to say that I have read all the posts and wish I could respond to everyone.:sad:
    One day of PT this week and one MD apt. I finally decided to seek the expertise of a lawyer with the work comp issue. Too much paperwork and a self insured company that doesn't have the best interest for helping the injured worker.

So, I feel relieved with this issue now. DH finally got the 2011 taxes done and will send them in tomorrow. Kids want to decorate for the holidays,but house needs to be cleaned,something I can't do very well with a bad hand.
    Going to my Aunts for Thanksgiving. I will save most of my calories for this late afternoon meal. Wishing you all a wonderful healthy day! :heart: Linda
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.
    Had a nice time at the shower.I helped make onion soup and there were 2 other soups there.She loved the afghan I made her.
    Taking a day off from the gym,since I did 2 days in a row.
    Good news Barbie about your mammogram.Part of being healthy is taking care of some of the unpleasant tests we have to do.
    Enjoy the rest of the day!!
    HUGs
    jane