Options
    bluenote........ .67% (-3lbs.)
    jlb123............ 1.36% (-3lbs.)
    hajohnson24...0.405% (-0.8 lbs.)
    Positive............. 0.25% (- 0.5 lb)
    Snowflakes.......0.0% (-0.4 lb)
    cds2327............0.94% (-2 lbs)
    mstahl................0.0% (won't say)
    Mari ...................1.28% (-3.2 lbs)
    awestfall............0.43% (-1lb)
    cris20056...........0.33% (-0.08)
    momma...............0.0% ( stayed the same )
    cogirl................... ? damn scale needs a new battery
    llowry...................1.10% (-2.8lbs)

This is for two weeks since I didn't weigh-in last friday. I am so glad it is down and not up! :happy: Is it just me or does everyone has days they just want to give up? I see my husband eat whatever he wants and I am soooo jealous!!!!!
  • tiger12gal
    tiger12gal Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    what is "TOM"?

My brother that lives in the town as me came to see me at work today... we hardly ever see each other so he took me to lunch... I said Subway and he pulled into Pizza Hut... I dont think I will be under my calorie goal unless I just have a salad for dinner...
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    TOM = Time Of Month
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats to everyone for their losses! Those of you who lost 3 lbs. this week...how'd you do it?? Any special hints or tips for those of us who almost lost 1 lb.?

Same things as usual, mostly. I'm still focusing on eating more protein and making sure I eat more on days I run. I bike every day and run 3x/week -- so on the days I do both I try to eat about 150 calories more because I've noticed I feel drained if I don't & my performance suffers.

This is what I've lost week by week. I've never really "fallen off the wagon," even during the holidays. I'd say the vast majority of the time, I put just as much effort in the weeks I lost a little as I did the weeks I lost more. I think it's a normal thing to fluctuate like this because you're body is constantly readjusting.

9/11 (was a half week since I started tuesday) -3.2
    9/18 -5.4
    9/25 -2.6
    10/2 -2.2
    10/9 -3.4
    10/16 -1.0
    10/23 -4.4
    10/30 -1.2
    11/6 -2.6
    11/13 -0.2
    11/20 -3.4
    11/27 -3.4
    12/4 -1.0
    12/11 -2.4
    12/18 -3.4
    12/25 -1.2
    01/01 +0.8
    01/08 -3.2
    01/15 -2.8
    01/22 -1.8
    01/29 -1.6
    02/05 -3.0

I've averaged 2.44 pounds/week.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    TOM Means Time Of Month... And Boy am i suffering it this month.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • fields1018
    Options
    Howdy! I'm new to the site and am super excited to meet some new people. Just moved to TN and have no friends! I'm 27 yrs old, stay-at-home mother of three. Being seriously working to change myself for about 3 weeks now and have already lost 14lbs and 4 inches. In need of some motivated friends!!! Also..what type of workout equipment do you guys use?

Started 277
    Current 263
  • tiger12gal
    Options
    oh... Im glad I dont have to deal with that right now... Im breastfeeding still... well pumping so I shouldnt have to worry about that until I stop.
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    Kind of bored at work today -- sorry.
    I wanted to share the falafel recipe I tried last night. They had a good flavor, but the texture was off (I probably could've cooked them longer to help with that but I was SO HUNGRY! :laugh:).

Ingredients:
    2 cloves garlic, quartered (I think I used 3. I love garlic)
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or mint
    2 cups chickpeas
    1/4 cup plain coarse bread crumbs (original recipe called for 1/2 but I didn't want to add 30 more calories per serving. Though, I'm sure this alteration was at least part of the texture difference from a normal falafel)
    1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt ( left this out because I was using canned chick peas which already have too much sodium -- they're plenty salty/flavorful without it)
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as red or green Tabasco)
    Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    Olive oil for brushing (I used spray olive oil for more even distribution -- and please note just because the label says it has 0 calories DOES NOT mean that it actually has 0 calories. It's still olive oil so it has the same calories as olive oil.)

Place garlic, cilantro, parsley or mint, chickpeas, and bread crumbs in the bowl of a food processor (I don't have a big nice food processor. I have a tiny $5 1.5 cup food chopper, so I did this in 3 batches & then mixed it all together in a large bowl. It was a little time consuming but it worked. I think you could also just mince your herbs well & then mash the chick peas and mix it by hand -- I mean, it's not like they had food processors in the middle east 20,000 years ago, right?). Pulse a few times to chop and blend ingredients.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over chickpea mixture and pulse a few more times. Sprinkle baking powder, cumin, salt, Tabasco, and black pepper over mixture and pulse until the chickpea mixture reaches a workable paste-like consistency. Add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice if it seems very dry.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is getting hot, line a baking pan with foil and brush with olive oil. Using a large tablespoon, scoop balls of dough into your palms and form them into patties (I got 8 out of this recipe. I weighed the dough and then portioned it into 8 even patties). Set aside on work surface while you form the remaining mixture.

Arrange falafel patties on oiled baking sheet and brush (I sprayed) them with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and crispy. Turn once midway through baking. (Next time I'll plan to bake them for at least 30 minutes, probably more).

Remove from oven and let falafel cool on pan for a minute or two before removing to plates or pitas with a spatula.

Serve in a whole-grain pita with leaf lettuce, tomato slices, and plenty of Tzatziki Sauce ("recipe" below).

Number of Servings: 4

Nutrition info for my alterations:
    Calories 217.0 (for 2 patties since my recipe made 8)
    Total Fat 6.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 535.4 mg
    Potassium 47.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
    Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
    Sugars 1.6 g
    Protein 8.9 g

You could get the sodium much lower by using reconstituted dried (or fresh...?) chick peas which I'll probably do next time.

For the tzatziki sauce, I just peeled & seeded a medium sized cucumber & put it in my little food chopper. I drained as much water as I could from it & then added a tablespoon or 2 of fresh dill, a couple cloves of garlic, a dash of salt, and black pepper to taste & mixed it again in the food chopper. Then I poured that into a bowl and mixed in about 11oz of plain 0% fat greek yogurt. If you have time and patience & want thicker tzatiki, you can set it to drain in a coffee filter lined collander or strainer over a bowl & let the extra liquid drip out but it's fine the way it turned out. It turned out well. I hope that's all I added -- I'm awful about just adding stuff and not writing it down or remembering.

I make falafel all the time for my family. But i use dry chickpeas, soak over night. rinse really good throw some raw onions, garlic ( a lot too), celantro, chop it in the food chopper.

add spices ( cumin, corriander, paprica, black pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder), baking powder, sesame seeds ( brings a whle new element to the dish),

form the mix and place in the skillet with little oil to brown then i place it in the oven to cook inside....but sometimes i fry the falafel...but i wont eat them if i do it...

I like you receipe Jib and i will try..but i will omit the bread crumbs.. and add some sauteed onion and garlic, and lots of different spices...

Thanks girl :)
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    Wow, congrats to everyone for their losses! Those of you who lost 3 lbs. this week...how'd you do it?? Any special hints or tips for those of us who almost lost 1 lb.?

Same things as usual, mostly. I'm still focusing on eating more protein and making sure I eat more on days I run. I bike every day and run 3x/week -- so on the days I do both I try to eat about 150 calories more because I've noticed I feel drained if I don't & my performance suffers.

This is what I've lost week by week. I've never really "fallen off the wagon," even during the holidays. I'd say the vast majority of the time, I put just as much effort in the weeks I lost a little as I did the weeks I lost more. I think it's a normal thing to fluctuate like this because you're body is constantly readjusting.

9/11 (was a half week since I started tuesday) -3.2
    9/18 -5.4
    9/25 -2.6
    10/2 -2.2
    10/9 -3.4
    10/16 -1.0
    10/23 -4.4
    10/30 -1.2
    11/6 -2.6
    11/13 -0.2
    11/20 -3.4
    11/27 -3.4
    12/4 -1.0
    12/11 -2.4
    12/18 -3.4
    12/25 -1.2
    01/01 +0.8
    01/08 -3.2
    01/15 -2.8
    01/22 -1.8
    01/29 -1.6
    02/05 -3.0

I've averaged 2.44 pounds/week.

Wow! I wish i have/had results like yours :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Ah, I agree about adding onion! I'll also add coriander & sesame seeds to mine next time, too, and definitely use the dry chick peas. I hated all that sodium in the canned ones anyway. Tahini is made from sesame seeds, right? I can definitely see how sesame seeds would be really good and I'm pretty sure I have some at home.

Yum! Thanks for sharing. At this rate I'll probably be making more this week! :laugh: I have leftover tzatziki anyway. They're so good! I had never had baked ones before last night -- always deep fried.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I'm new to the site and am super excited to meet some new people. Just moved to TN and have no friends! I'm 27 yrs old, stay-at-home mother of three. Being seriously working to change myself for about 3 weeks now and have already lost 14lbs and 4 inches. In need of some motivated friends!!! Also..what type of workout equipment do you guys use?

Started 277
    Current 263

Welcome Fields1018!

We check in every day with the following:
    Calories - (over under or how many it's up to you)
    Water - did you drink 64oz?
    Exercise - did you get in 30 minutes?

Proud - we list one thing we're proud of!

On Friday's we weigh in and report how we did!

Equipment - I have two sets of hand weights (3lb and 5lb), a treadmill and an elliptical machine. There are a few other exercise items but I haven't started to use them. We bought our treadmill new back in 1994, but all the rest I've picked up used when folks got having them sitting around after their New Years resolutions have worn off.

Currently I'm trying to get at least 45 minutes in on the elliptical machine, five days a week, and 90 - 120 minutes on the treadmill (walking) on Saturdays.
  • llowry
    llowry Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Started 277
    Current 263

Welcome!! you will like this site. Just the place to find support and friendly people.
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    oh... Im glad I dont have to deal with that right now... Im breastfeeding still... well pumping so I shouldnt have to worry about that until I stop.

I breastfeed all my kids ( 3) but when i had my daughter (my first) i breasfeed her and found out i was pregnant with my second child...
    short story..i though that if i breastfeed i would not need controceptives ( because i wasn't getting TOM)..i was not that lucky...that is why my first and second is 13 months apart and my second and third are 10 years apart....stop taking birthcontrol and thought i won't get pregnant..2 months later i found out...so now i have an iud...

sorry if i went on a tangent..you feel a special bond with your child everytime you breastfeed. good luck on you journey :)
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    Ah, I agree about adding onion! I'll also add coriander & sesame seeds to mine next time, too, and definitely use the dry chick peas. I hated all that sodium in the canned ones anyway. Tahini is made from sesame seeds, right? I can definitely see how sesame seeds would be really good and I'm pretty sure I have some at home.

Yum! Thanks for sharing. At this rate I'll probably be making more this week! :laugh: I have leftover tzatziki anyway. They're so good! I had never had baked ones before last night -- always deep fried.

Yup "tahini" is ground up sesame seeds...
    if you don't like can chickpeas...try dry chickpeas (place in a preasure pot with lots of water and presure cook it for 20 minutes....or any type of beans)....i hate cans foods too and it comes out great.

some people boil the beans or chickpeas and add baking soda...and the cooking process is cut in half..
  • tiger12gal
    Options

I breastfeed all my kids ( 3) but when i had my daughter (my first) i breasfeed her and found out i was pregnant with my second child...
    short story..i though that if i breastfeed i would not need controceptives ( because i wasn't getting TOM)..i was not that lucky...that is why my first and second is 13 months apart and my second and third are 10 years apart....stop taking birthcontrol and thought i won't get pregnant..2 months later i found out...so now i have an iud...

sorry if i went on a tangent..you feel a special bond with your child everytime you breastfeed. good luck on you journey :)

oh no we are using stuff.. I dont think I could handle another kid right now. They are all 2 years apart with the youngest one being my only biological child and he is 8 months. :( I dont know where the time went..
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I breastfed all my children. My last 2 I breastfed the longest. My daughter 22 months and my son 18 months. I also breast fed the first 2. I think it is a wonderful way to bond with your children and it is so much healthier and cheaper than canned dry milk. It is such a natural thing in my home. We were all laughing because one of my daughters never asked for baby bottles for her dolls. She just breast fed all of them.:laugh: :laugh: Some advice though. Feed that baby BEFORE exercise. Exercise gives the milk a little bitter taste. Breast milk has a sweet taste and the exercise changes that a little bit. (I have not tasted breast milk, someone I am very close to told me it was sweet:blushing: ) Also, be careful about cutting too many cals if you want to keep your milk. I wish you the best and I know you will NEVER regret breastfeeding.

Welcome to all the new comers. :flowerforyou:

My husband is going to be off next week. Not sure how that is going to effect my being here through out the week. I will keep track of my cals and exercise, just not sure how often I will be posting. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies!

For equipment, I have resistance bands, 5 and 8 lb. hand weights, an exercise ball, treadmill and a HUGE stack of workout DVDs. I'm pretty much covered but when the weather is nice, I really prefer hiking at the State Parks.

The best advice I can give is to find what works for you because you'll be more likely to stick with it that way!

Hope you all have a great weekend in case I don't get a chance to check in before Monday!
    Heather
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late check in, Ava is finally feeling better, and I can get back into my routine. I gained 1.1 pounds this week :( I am trying to look at the silver lining, that maybe eating more calories last week will shock my metabolism a bit and I will lose big this coming week!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Sorry for the late check in, Ava is finally feeling better, and I can get back into my routine. I gained 1.1 pounds this week :( I am trying to look at the silver lining, that maybe eating more calories last week will shock my metabolism a bit and I will lose big this coming week!

I am glad Ava is better. Maybe you will have a big loss next week!!!!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options

Heather

Heather, when I started eating all of my calories I started steadily losing. Plus I added 5 days of bike riding to the mix. I fought that scale forever before I realized I was in starvation mode. But in all realness, honey, I have so much to lose that 3 lbs. is a drop in the bucket! :laugh: (hence the reason I never win BL - 3 lbs. is only a .67% loss for me!) But I am not complaining! I am so grateful to be losing!