Over 200 Club New Year New Body Part 5

Options

Replies

• bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    jlb, PLEASE post the chili info. I LOVE chili and am desperate for a good recipe that fits within my fat and sodium budget. Thanks!

I lost another pound, so my total this week is 3 pounds! I am excited!

bluenote........ .67% (-3lbs.)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    jlb123 - when ever I tell my horror stories about work I feel badly for you and lildebbie since you two work in HR - I know employees in situations like mine make your days difficult For what it's worth, I think my HR rep is doing the best she can with a $#itty situation.
    mstahl -- that's why HR is there! I don't work in Employee Relations so employees in situations like yours don't affect me much. But our ER rep is great here, and I think, like your ER rep, she's always trying to come up with a fair solution. What makes my day difficult is irresponsible employees who think managing their *personal* employment benefits is *my* responsibility. :grumble: And also employees call me and ask me what the letter I sent them says (read the letter!). :laugh: Sorry, that's just a recent major annoyance I keep griping about. I think the vast majority of my headaches actually come from trying to get insurance company reps to correct their idiotic keying, accounting, and billing blunders for my employees.

jlb, PLEASE post the chili info. I LOVE chili and am desperate for a good recipe that fits within my fat and sodium budget. Thanks!

Will do! This will be the first time I'm using lower sodium *everything* so we'll see how it goes. I made a pretty tasty black bean, cannelini bean, and chicken chili about a month ago. Yum! I'll try to figure out what I did there and post it, too. It'd be a wonderful thing for me to have the presence of mind to write down my recipes.:ohwell:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Down 3 pounds from 220.4 to 217.4!! WOOHOO! My VD (:wink:) goal is actually within reach!

jlb123............ 1.36% (-3lbs.)
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1 pound for me today which I will take because I am still on my TOM so I am happy with a 1 pound loss.Great Job everyone else.I can't wait for the new challenge.I just hope we don't lose power again because we are supposed to be bombarded with snow again this weekend!!!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Checking in for yesterday, 2/4/2010:
    Calories: 79 left over
    Water: 48 oz.
    Exercise: None
    Sodium: 1800+ over
    Proud: That I planned ahead yesterday with my eating to stay within my calories.
    CW: 196.6

hajohnson24...0.405% (-0.8 lbs.)
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Good Morning :0

Tom payed me a visit, today, but i still got on the scale.

Positive............. 0.25% (- 0.5 lb)

I am so tired and i have a lot of things to do today :(

Have a great day girls :)!!!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    209 today ladies!! down two pounds from last week!!!!
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Snowflakes.......0.0% (-0.4 lb)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    cds2327............0.94% (-2 lbs)
    mstahl................0.0% (won't say)

Seems my week of sodium is trying to make me believe I've gained 7 lbs. I have not gained 7 lbs. I have not. *sniff* It's just water and I can still be down two pounds to reach my 2/14 goal which now looks like I need to get down 9 lbs :frown:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    246.2!

I lost 3.2 pounds! and smack dab in the middle of TOM! I'm feeling so happy today! :bigsmile:

Way to go all of you, great job! And dont worry, mstahl. It'll come off, I had a bad week last week and even on TOM this weeks been way better.

Check in for yesterday:
    Calories: right on
    Water: Yup!
    Exercise: nope =<
    Proud: that my muscles are nice and sore from the gym.

Mari ...................1.28% (-3.2 lbs)
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    246.2!

I lost 3.2 pounds! and smack dab in the middle of TOM! I'm feeling so happy today! :bigsmile:

Way to go all of you, great job! And dont worry, mstahl. It'll come off, I had a bad week last week and even on TOM this weeks been way better.

Check in for yesterday:
    Calories: right on
    Water: Yup!
    Exercise: nope =<
    Proud: that my muscles are nice and sore from the gym.

Don't forget me guys I lost a pound.I was 230 last week and 229 today in spite of TOM still visiting.Yay!! Can someone calculate my percentage.I stink at math.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    awestfall ..........0.43% (-1 lbs)

There you go westfall! Great job. We both kicked TOM in the butt! lol :laugh:
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    awestfall............0.43% (-1lb)
    cris20056...........0.33% (-0.08)

Not happy with my number at all:explode: :grumble:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you girls!!!
  • LittleSpy
    Options

Not happy with my number at all:explode: :grumble:

Hun, just keep reminding yourself it's in the right direction! And you lost almost a full pound! We all have weeks when we don't like our numbers. The good news is, in my experience, those weeks are usually followed pretty closely by a week I like my numbers a lot -- it's just part of the game. :wink:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Kind of bored at work today -- sorry.
    I wanted to share the falafel recipe I tried last night. They had a good flavor, but the texture was off (I probably could've cooked them longer to help with that but I was SO HUNGRY! :laugh:).

Ingredients:
    2 cloves garlic, quartered (I think I used 3. I love garlic)
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or mint
    2 cups chickpeas
    1/4 cup plain coarse bread crumbs (original recipe called for 1/2 but I didn't want to add 30 more calories per serving. Though, I'm sure this alteration was at least part of the texture difference from a normal falafel)
    1 to 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt ( left this out because I was using canned chick peas which already have too much sodium -- they're plenty salty/flavorful without it)
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as red or green Tabasco)
    Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
    Olive oil for brushing (I used spray olive oil for more even distribution -- and please note just because the label says it has 0 calories DOES NOT mean that it actually has 0 calories. It's still olive oil so it has the same calories as olive oil.)

Place garlic, cilantro, parsley or mint, chickpeas, and bread crumbs in the bowl of a food processor (I don't have a big nice food processor. I have a tiny $5 1.5 cup food chopper, so I did this in 3 batches & then mixed it all together in a large bowl. It was a little time consuming but it worked. I think you could also just mince your herbs well & then mash the chick peas and mix it by hand -- I mean, it's not like they had food processors in the middle east 20,000 years ago, right?). Pulse a few times to chop and blend ingredients.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over chickpea mixture and pulse a few more times. Sprinkle baking powder, cumin, salt, Tabasco, and black pepper over mixture and pulse until the chickpea mixture reaches a workable paste-like consistency. Add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice if it seems very dry.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is getting hot, line a baking pan with foil and brush with olive oil. Using a large tablespoon, scoop balls of dough into your palms and form them into patties (I got 8 out of this recipe. I weighed the dough and then portioned it into 8 even patties). Set aside on work surface while you form the remaining mixture.

Arrange falafel patties on oiled baking sheet and brush (I sprayed) them with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and crispy. Turn once midway through baking. (Next time I'll plan to bake them for at least 30 minutes, probably more).

Remove from oven and let falafel cool on pan for a minute or two before removing to plates or pitas with a spatula.

Serve in a whole-grain pita with leaf lettuce, tomato slices, and plenty of Tzatziki Sauce ("recipe" below).

Number of Servings: 4

Nutrition info for my alterations:
    Calories 217.0 (for 2 patties since my recipe made 8)
    Total Fat 6.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 535.4 mg
    Potassium 47.9 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
    Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
    Sugars 1.6 g
    Protein 8.9 g

You could get the sodium much lower by using reconstituted dried (or fresh...?) chick peas which I'll probably do next time.

For the tzatziki sauce, I just peeled & seeded a medium sized cucumber & put it in my little food chopper. I drained as much water as I could from it & then added a tablespoon or 2 of fresh dill, a couple cloves of garlic, a dash of salt, and black pepper to taste & mixed it again in the food chopper. Then I poured that into a bowl and mixed in about 11oz of plain 0% fat greek yogurt. If you have time and patience & want thicker tzatiki, you can set it to drain in a coffee filter lined collander or strainer over a bowl & let the extra liquid drip out but it's fine the way it turned out. It turned out well. I hope that's all I added -- I'm awful about just adding stuff and not writing it down or remembering.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    momma...............0.0% ( stayed the same:huh: )
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I RAN I RAN I RAN AGAIN for another 30 minutes straight.Thats a whole 90 minutes of running today for me and I feel good.I hope I can keep up with it because I need the boost.I think I can I think I can .LOL

:flowerforyou: HOORAY!!! Inspiring!
  • ColoradoGirl
    ColoradoGirl Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So, I did good all week.. did not peak and guess what today I got on the scale and the damn thing needs a new battery. Of course it can not take a normal battery it takes some special kind. I won't be back in town to get one until next week so, I guess this no peak week has turned into two for me. ARG.. On that note I do not fee like I have lost any weight and I know I am retaining water so, we will see what next Friday brings!

congrats to all the losers!

momma...............0.0% ( stayed the same )
    cogirl................... ? damn scale needs a new battery
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats to everyone for their losses! Those of you who lost 3 lbs. this week...how'd you do it?? Any special hints or tips for those of us who almost lost 1 lb.?

Keep up the awesome work. It's been snowing here most of yesterday and all day today, so I'm really looking forward to snowshoeing tomorrow night. Woohoo! I just can't wait for the workday to be over because my laundry is calling me.

Have a great afternoon!
    Heather