WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So....how many people do you think are of the opinion that that one song the Who did during the SuperBowl halftime was called "Teenage Wasteland"??

Too many. Baba O'Riley is one of my favorite Who songs.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Happy Monday

Welcome to the new faces.

Shocking to me that there is so much snow out there and not here. We are usually buried in the white stuff. I shouldn't complain to loud - we'll likely get hit any day now.

Well this is the beginning of my second month of early morning/after work exercise class. I am happy to say that I'm enjoying it. I can imagine it will be alot easier on me when I lose some more weight. Trying to balance and do sit ups off a big ball is no easy task when I'm at least 70-80 lbs heavy. That's the most difficult part for me is the balance. Even just standing on one foot trying to do kicks and hand weights is a challenge. It can only get better from here. Good news is I can once again zip my jacket up - YAY. I bought it when I was down 32 lbs and of course when you are only down 13 - hmmm not so good! I wanted to get some wear out of it because I plan for it to be much too big next season:wink:

My mission this week is to do some research and talk with a pharmacist to get myself on a vitamin/mineral regime. I will continue to do a one hr class M-Fr and try adding a 30 minute walking dvd each day at home. Weekday food is great but the weekends need work. If you see my willpower and determination out wandering around please send them home!!!

Take care ladies

Heather
  • chefcc
    chefcc Posts: 143
    Options
    Hello, my name is Chris. I'm 54 years old and live in TX. I just found the MFP site and I'm so happy about it because I have been seriously wanting to lose weight for about a year now. My biggest problem was not having enough motivation to keep me going. I'm hoping to find that here.

After logging my food and finding out how many calories I have been eating, I was totally mortified. No wonder the exercise wasn't doing any good!

This is the first time I have ever actually posted on any website. I have been reading some of your posts and you all sound so encouraging. Thanks to all of you I am setting myself some goals for February. I want to lose 5 pounds this month. That would bring my total loss so far to 8 pounds. I hate to exercise, but if I have to be accountable for it, I will probably do it, so my goal is to exercise a minimum of 3 days a week for 30 minutes.

Thanks to all of you and I look forward to making some new friends.:happy:
  • joanieike
    Options
    Well not quite 50 --but 49 and holding!!! @ weddings coming up this summer --and I have to be the mother of the grom twice. Tried on dresses this week --if that doesn't keep me motivated, nothing will!! Ugh!! SO far down 17.5 pounds --and not wiling to order a dress until early May...SO, I think I can do it this time --but i still have 85 more pounds to go!!! I'm still eating 1500 cals and i found a cook book called HUNGRY GIRL (www,hungrygirl.com) amazilngly good recipes. Oh well, I was exercising --but hurt my hip -so that is on hold for a while--but i feel really good about the diet thingy today!! So here's to becoming thin!!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies Heather Chris and Joanie;

I'm glad you are here. We have had quite a few join us since January. We think you will like it here and yes there are alot of positive people using this thread.

Post as often as you would like, just to vent if need be. My basic advice is to be excited that you are taking steps to a better and of course more lively lifestyle.

Jackie: After all the newbies I am pretty sure you are officially an Oldie. :)

I just finished my work out for the day with a total of 227 exercise calories. Yeah I can eat a good supper! Which will probably be stir fried chicken and veggies.

I like to be done with eating by 7PM. I heard a while back that stopping your eating about 2 hrs before you go to bed really helps.

Well, I'd better go and get started on that dinner meal.

Cindy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!

It has been a few days since I was on here. I have been "lurking" (newbies--that means, reading but not posting :bigsmile:) I have also been too busy laughing at Jackie from Wales posts to write my own. I am glad someone else around here writes probably like they talk. I have to remember to pick up some 10 lb. potato bags so I can start my new "potato-based" exercise plan!!:laugh: :laugh:

I am not a huge football fan, but I did keep up with the Saints this year, and I was SOO pleased at the outcome. I don't know what I would have done if the game had put them against Minnesota, 'cuz I like Brett Favre too, but New Orleans deserves to have some pleasant memories after all the adversity that region has faced since the aftermath of that uninvited guest "Katrina."

I can't begin to respond to all the posts, but I have to make a couple of comments.

Barbiecat--

I agree, way too many unhealthy food ads during the game, but the one with the little kid setting mom's new boyfriend straight about keeping his hands of mom and the Doritos WAS cute!!:laugh: I missed the one with Letterman, Leno and Oprah, but saw it on the news today--funny--and most unexpected. :bigsmile:

As for the ads with guys in their underwear--well, that is actually a refreshing CHANGE!! I would rather see guys in their underwear :embarassed: than a bunch of gals!! Just my thought!!:ohwell:

VickiM--

I just saw those Yoplait smoothies in my grocer's freezer yesterday. Was in a rush so didn't stop to read the label, but I will make it a point when I am there again. And the lunch you posted sounds yummy!!

Speaking of good food items. I recently tried the Fiber One muffins from the freezer case. I tried banana nut and chocolate chip and the blueberry flavor. Great flavor, about 170 calories per muffin and a great source of fiber. Four muffins for about $2.50. They are individually wrapped, so great for taking along to work or where ever.

So, what have I been up to? Well, after surviving another week at work, I prepared for Super Bowl Sunday. My neighbor and I headed up the Columbia Gorge with his pug, and my three little piggies, and a car full of food (though not quite as much food ARRIVED at our destination as I had planned--more about that below:blushing: ) Chloe, his black lab, was on a "play date" with his daughter, so she was not part of the "travelling herd."

Since my friend/hostess had been very busy with her doggie raising business and other family obligations, about a week ago I told her, if she would contribute some $$$ I would plan and buy all our food. I originally thought about a large crock pot of chili, but decided that was too labor intensive for my limited time, and I got some inspiration in another direction from a taste of samples at Trader Joe's.

So the menu became, mini tacos, soy and flax seed chips, veggie chips, edamame hummus, salsa, regular and peach mango; spicy black bean dip; reduced sodium wheat thins, a veggie tray, some stuffed mushrooms, meatballs in a sauce with some low sodium V8, a little balsamic vinaigrette dressing and some BBQ sauce, a la crock pot, and dessert was still an unknown. Saturday night after getting off work, I went out to shop and bought pretty much everything except dessert. Couldn't get hold of my friends to find out what they might like.

My PLAN: Get home, go to bed early, get up early to attend church, pack up the car and the doggies (and my neighbor, too, of course!!:wink: )and take off by about 11:30 for the drive, which is about an hour and 15 minutes.

What HAPPENED: Things started to derail when I got home. For some reason, even though I didn't get enough sleep on Friday night, by the time I got home, my "second wind" kicked in, and I didn't get to bed til about 1 am.:yawn: That made getting up at 6 am to hit the 7:30 am service a "not happenin" event, and I wasn't even "with it" enough to make the 9 am service. By this time, we were on "Plan C"--10 am at another parish. Well, that didn't work either, so I started debating about the 11 a.m. service--which would have meant we left later than we should, so I said a little prayer of "please forgive me for my bad planning Lord" and skipped church, and hoped I wouldn't live to regret it. (I will let you be the judge of whether THAT is what caused all the trouble described below:noway: )

So, as I am walking my doggies, I finally get in touch with my friends,and they agree that vanilla ice cream is a good start for any dessert.:heart: I came up with ginger snaps, blueberries to go along with, and a special lemon loaf that my hostess is nuts about.

During this conversation, I also learned that the host had managed to eat on Saturday night most of the ribs that he had purchased for Sunday, AND drank all of his beer as well!! :noway: :drinker: He had help. His son and son's girlfriend both had to work on Sunday, so they came over on Saturday night for a :drinker: "pre-game celebration" :drinker: and that took care of that food. I decided some additional food was in order, so came up with a little make it up as I go along in the store recipe:

8 pre-made tamales (Delimex makes some that are individually wrapped in corn husks, but just need to be heated up in micro, or regular oven),;
    2 bags of Uncle Ben's brown rice in the micro pouch (fantastic rice WITHOUT added sodium --read the label, all the OTHER flavors have PLENTY of sodium:grumble:)
    1 can of S & W stewed tomatoes with bell pepper and onion;
    about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of mild enchilada sauce (optional, see below**)
    1/4 -1/2 cup of salsa
    1 cup or so of Sargento reduced fat Mexican cheese

I took the tamales and heated them in the micro for about 4 minutes per four tamales. Heated the rice pouches according to directions --90 seconds each pouch. Place rice in a casserole, add tamales, top off with more rice, add the stewed tomatoes and the enchilada sauce, and the salsa. Put in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and add the cheese. Put back in the oven for 5-8 minutes. You can shut off the oven about this time and it will still melt nicely.

I didn't calculate the calories, but I already know the sodium would be higher than I would want under normal conditions, because of the sodium in the enchilada sauce and the stewed tomatoes.

**These were REALLY good, though if I do it again, I would eliminate the enchilada sauce and replace it with V-8 juice.

So far, sounds like a pretty good spread, right? Well the story isn't over yet!! It was a VERY fortunate thing that because of my host eating the most of the ribs I added that last dish at the last minute. Thus, all the ingredients for it were purchased on the way out of town when I got the dessert ingredients and some more beer. We had an uneventful drive east, with Mai Li, being her usual self, barking periodically to let all know that she still thought she was "in charge" of the back seat:grumble: :wink: .

Upon arrival, I started pulling things out of the cooler, and suddenly realized that everything I purchased at Trader Joe's, and some of what I got on Friday night at another store was MISSING!!! Suddenly those tamales were looking like our main course, and as it turned out, they WERE. My punishment for foregoing church was managing to FORGET the mini tacos, edamame hummus, spicy black bean dip, stuffed mushrooms, AND meatballs!! Phooey!!:mad:

Fortunately, two of the people we thought would be there to eat were not. And, since we had "enough" beer,:drinker: the guys didn't care!! What we DID have was very good, and there were leftovers, :drinker: :drinker: so we didn't starve, but it is a good thing I like Mexican food, because there is still plenty of it left at my house. I came home to find all the missing goodies still sitting waiting for me!!

I am making the meatballs tonight for my dinner and I will probably freeze part of them to use later. I think I may have to plan a dinner later this week with a friend and her son to take care of the rest.

Turns out, I will be going back up to the east next Sunday, since my neighbor and my friend reach an agreement that he is going to take one of her male French Bulldogs, who is about to "retire" from breeding. He is only 4 years old, but that breed has a genetic predisposition to sterility, and he has been having a lot of "fun" with the females, but not producing any "results" if ya know what I mean, so he gets to become my neighbor's pet, and will become a regular playmate of "the three little pigs" as well. His name is "Archie"--not the name you would expect for a Frenchie, but somehow it suits him!!:smile: I can already tell he is a character, just like his new owner.

Well, I have to get going as the day is more than half over and I haven't gotten anything done, and it is back to work tomorrow.:ohwell:

Barb
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I've been AWOL for several weeks and one step on my scale proves that is never a good thing.

We made a surprise visit to see our daughter for her birthday the end of January, replaced the roof on our house in AR so we can close on the sale, and then spent the better part of a week with hubby's Aunt working on her house. It rained and/or sleeted every day we weren't traveling so it has been almost 10 days since I've had opportunity to exercise or log calories.

I made some very poor food choices while we were gone. The worst was the day I binged on M & Ms. I KNEW I should have said no thank you when my daughter slipped that 2 pound bag into my purse or chunked them later! Instead I ate virtually all of them over a 3 day period while iced in at hubby's Aunts. When I got on the scale this morning (for the first time in 2 weeks) I have gained back the 4 pounds I lost in January. :blushing: What WAS I thinking!!!! I just undid a whole month's worth of hard work in a weeks time.

So now I'm back to getting off sugar AGAIN and getting these stupid pounds off. Still kicking myself on that one.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear from you Suzzy; I wouldn't have been able to resist M&Ms either. Especially if they were peanut! Those things just cannot be in my house!

As for sugar I don't think I'll ever be able to get off it completely and that's mostly because I don't want to. I want to do all things in moderation and I know that is possible.

Cindy
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

The kids have today and tomorrow off from school, so we went skiing. Tomorrow is parent teacher conferences. I "scanned all the posts since the last time I posted but did not take my usual notes.

Hello all newbies! Welcome. - On exercise DVDs- Hastings has several for rent as do other video places. Nexflix is also a good renting option.

Having been a Colts fan my entire life I have just one thing to say about last nights game - Go Saints! Drew Brees is a wonderful young quarterback and they have played fantastic all year as did the Colts. Both teams are pretty good about being good sports too so it was nice to see both of them in the Super Bowl.

No news on my son's or daughter's health issues. Thanks for the concern and asking.

This is all I have time for right now as I'm trying to cook dinner and I am beat from a busy day.

Jeannie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    OK, new recipe of the day. We have declared it a keeper.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chicken-Spareribs
    I didn't use the oil, just put everything in the oven. I cup the sugar a little bit, and next time will cut way back on the soy sauce. Anyway, it was quite good. Happy Monday all!
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends! It's been a while since I posted, and that has not done me any good. I put back the 3 pounds that I lost. Life has been stressful. I'm burning the candle at both ends, and not taking care of myself.

So I decided to log my food, schedule exercise at least 4 days a week, and post on this board to keep myself honest.

I've basically stayed the same weight for the past 6 months. I know what to do, but I'm not sticking to a healthy routine consistently enough.

Goals:
    log my food
    drink water
    exercise
    take better care of myself
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

Just ran across this on another thread. Thank you DrBorkBork for posting---hilarious!!!

Barb
    A friend sent this to me this morning. I thought it was great!

A WOMAN'S WEEK AT THE GYM

If you read this without laughing out loud, there is something wrong
    with
    you This is dedicated to everyone who ever attempted to get into a
    regular
    workout routine.

Dear Diary,
    For my birthday this year, I purchased a week of personal training at
    the
    local health club.
    Although I am still in great shape since being a high school football
    cheerleader 43 years ago, I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead
    and
    give it a try.
    I called the club and made my reservations with a personal trainer named
    Christo, who identified himself as a 26-year-old aerobics instructor and
    model for athletic clothing and swim wear.
    Friends seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started! The club
    encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress.
    Started my day at 6:00 a.m. Tough to get out of bed, but found it was
    well
    worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Christo waiting for
    me.
    He is something of a Greek god-- with blond hair, dancing eyes, and a
    dazzling white smile. Woo Hoo!!
    Christo gave me a tour and showed me the machines.. I enjoyed watching
    the
    skillful way in which he conducted his aerobics class after my workout
    today. Very inspiring!
    Christo was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my gut was already
    aching from holding it in the whole time he was around. This is going to
    be
    a FANTASTIC week!!
    made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into the air then he
    put
    weights on it! My legs were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I
    made
    the full mile. His rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I feel
    GREAT!
    It's a whole new life for me.
    and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I believe I have a hernia
    in
    both pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer or
    stop. I
    parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot.
    Christo was impatient with me, insisting that my screams bothered other
    club
    members.. His voice is a little too perky for that early in the morning
    and
    when he scolds, he gets this nasally whine that is VERY annoying.
    My chest hurt when I got on the treadmill, so Christo put me on the
    stair
    monster. Why the heck would anyone invent a machine to simulate an
    activity
    rendered obsolete by elevators? Christo told me it would help me get in
    shape and enjoy life. He said some other crap too.
    cruel lips were pulled back in a full snarl. I couldn't help being a
    half
    an hour late-- it took me that long to tie my shoes.
    He took me to work out with dumbbells. When he was not looking, I ran
    and
    hid in the restroom. He sent some skinny witch to find me.
    Then, as punishment, he put me on the rowing machine-- which I sank.
    human being in the history of the world. Stupid, skinny, anemic,
    anorexic,
    little aerobic instructor. If there was a part of my body I could move
    without unbearable pain, I would beat him with it.
    Christo wanted me to work on my triceps I don't have any triceps! And
    if
    you don't want dents in the floor, don't hand me the stupid barbells or
    anything that weighs more than a sandwich.
    The treadmill flung me off and I landed on a health and nutrition
    teacher.
    Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like the drama coach or the
    choir
    director?
    wondering why I did not show up today. Just hearing his voice made me
    want
    to smash the machine with my planner; however, I lacked the strength to
    even
    use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven straight hours of the
    Weather
    Channel..
    husband will choose a gift for me that is fun-- like a root canal or a
    hysterectomy. I still say if God had wanted me to bend over, he would
    have
    sprinkled the floor with diamonds!!!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My haircut got canceled today - bad news because it is driving me nuts and looks bad, but good news because it gave me time to get to the swimming pool!
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions about exercise.

Debbie and Kathy thanks for letting me know I should hold off on The Shred. As you said, I don't need to "shred" my knees. :bigsmile: I'll be looking at the DVD's by Chris Freytag and Leslie Sansone that you suggested. I'll do the Shred thingy later as you suggested. I don't have knee issues so much as a foot problem. I did a major klutz move about 18 months ago. I really messed up ligaments and tendons in one foot, but after many months and the worst pain I have ever felt, I'm almost 100% with the help of a good ortho guy (finally!) and a metal plate in my shoe that I wear most of the time. So no, I don't want to go too fast. :noway:

Michelle thanks for the collegevideo.com info. I love that you can preview. I'll be looking there for sure.

Jeannie thanks for the Netflix idea. I have Netflix and it never occured to me to look there!

What a wealth of info here in this group; you are really a big help.

I live out in the williwags and it never occured to me that the little town 7 miles away might have a gym, but I was talking to a friend and she told me where one is tucked away. It's not very big, but it has some machines and a class a couple times a week. So with the info you all gave for DVD's, and this place, I should be all set up.

I had been walking the country roads out here, but the next door neighbors rottweiler hates my guts and got out of the yard a while back and I came very very close to getting mauled. I would have if I hadn't known how to deal with a bad dog. Even then it was a near thing. I was shaking like a leaf after it was over. I can't get my head around having a dog you can't trust.

Well, I'm for bed here. I got up at 4 am this morning to watch the last night shuttle launch. We're quite a ways away but it was still quite a sight.

Night all and thanks again for the help.

Faye
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    And thanks Karen for setting me straight on the ticker thing. I'll see if I can get it to show up here. Not that there is anything to report yet. There will be soon though! I feel better already. I've always liked food that is good for me. Problem is I like food that is bad for me too!

Faye
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smooched: Last night was an evening spent with some "old" friends. So fun :drinker: . DH is having a wonderful time of celebrating his 60th birthday over a whole week. This coming weekend I am taking him away for a weekend to celebrate some more. He deserves it.

Today was a good day. Worked out and ate right. It is so much easier to do that when I am at work. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all newbies!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cheryllynnc
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I just joined this website tonight after one of my staff told me about this. Her daughter uses it. I am really impressed with the food plan and how I can add and subtract and track my food, carbs, fats and proteins. This is so clever. Tomorrow will be my first day using this tool. I have struggled and struggled with my weight and was actually considering a Gastric Bypass and went to a talk about it last week and after attending, I went home and spent the rest of the night researching this process and I made the decision that I was going to do my weight loss the 'natural' way. this tool will help. I am very motivated but my health issues are helping with this motivation. Wish me luck!
  • arborsong
    Options
    Cheryl - good luck to you! You will do fabulous here! The system works - just stick with it. I'm wondering if you're in NC from your screen name. If so, I'm also in NC and there are a couple of others here also. But, actually, we've become known far and wide -- all across ths US -- even across the ocean into Europe. We're an international group with a next-door neighbor feeling. You'll see. Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Rebel Renny - Enjoy your time with hubby! Those are fleeting moments to commit to eternal memory!
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Good morning everyone....... a very medical morning for me!!
    Firstly .... :sick: chaz the cat .... follow on from the kitchen massacre scene. He obviously had been in a fight and now round one eye looks very swollen, so... we're administering the anti biotics we had when his tooth was taken out (and didn't feel it was necessary to give him). Hope for the best and that we don't need another vets visit. Good fun trying to get a tablet don the throat of a squirming cat ....!!!
    Secondly .....:frown: Me!! I did the first part of the Latina Tone DVD last night. Good ... not too much for a beginner. But... it must have been the wiggly wrist movements with the Sizzling Salsa that got me.... My right wrist hurts soooo much when I have to hold anything or twist anything!! Am now walking round with a wrist brace on. Had to take it off when I assisted Mum in the shower and it was agony!! So ... Sorry they'll be no joining in any of the Belly dance classes some of you do or doing and wiggly hand movements for anyone!!! ... Don't pursue that thread!!
    Thirdly..... :heart: Mum needed to go for a drugs review today at 11.00. She was woken at 8.30, 9.00 and 9.30. finally I got her up at 9.45, showered her, hairwash, dressed her and we got to the surgery 11.00. She came home to breakfast at 11.30 (still at the table now!!) saying she's had a lovely day out!! Simple pleasures eh?

I did peek at the scales again this morning (I know I shouldn't)but am still at 152lbs. :cry: Is it going to be the exercise that will take my pounds off? I've come in under my 1200 calories each day and have been "quite"good. Sugar seems high sometimes but that's come from fruit.Protein high too but carbs are lower. I only eat two meals breakfast and a cooked tea - is that whats wrong?
    Answers on a post card please and a prize for the winning entry..... Am I being too optimistic? Am I being too impatient? (that's me all over ... I want things instant and yesterday!!)

But ... Here I am with all of you:drinker: .... can't let you down. If I'm tempted to say ..."Blow it" (that's being polite) ... I'll binge out and hang the consquences ... I'm going to log on here and put the tape back over my mouth!!!

Must go and rescue Mum now, :yawn: she's fast asleep over her porridge bowl!!

Bye for now...
    Jackie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    i did very well yesterday and plan to do the same today. I am literally taking it one meal, one day at a time. If I tell myself I dont need that now then I can get through it. I am going to doctor with heather today. She has to take that glucose test. We will be there for 3 hours. that will be boring.
    I also got bad news last night. Some of you may remember praying for my cousin Donna when she found out she had cancer. Well her brother said last night it is in her brain, they are stopping treatments and give her days maybe weeks to live. She is only 57 2 yrs older than me. It is really upsetting me to think about it. She is far away and I dont even know if i will be able to make the funeral. anyway please pray for her and her family. Have a good day.
    Vicki M