WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well it's noon here already. We got up to falling snow. I went out to retrieve the paper and used the broom to sweep the snow off the car windows. Now it is only raining and I just hope it doesn't turn into ice. I'm really really ready for spring although I don't want to wish my life away.

Becky, hopefully warmer weather and some blue skies will help. I'm with everyone else, don't give up because that will just make your mood even lower!

Jeannie: Hubby has been home since the 27th of Jan and will be here until the 11th of Feb. He has started trying to clean up his papers in the den and but gets easily distracted. Although he hasn't been diagnosed with ADD I'm pretty sure he has it. He also has OCD tendencies about not being able to throw things away. I'm more like my Mama "Just Pitch it"!

Jackie: let me know how the new CD turns out. How you like the dancing moves.

I don't know if any of y'all had to dance in elementary school, with a boy no less, square dancing. Hubby has mentioned that that was really the only kind of dancing he liked to do. I wonder if there are any DVDs for that?

BBL, wet laundry is ready to go into the dryer.

Cindy
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: : Laura, thank you so much for the kind words. I am (hopefully) back on track. Thanks to everyone here.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, so funny that you would mention warmer weather. We are getting a snow storm at this minute. They have been talking about this all winter but it never happened. I guess they stopped crying wolf. It is really coming down. I am at work for the next four hours. Hopefully, I will be able to get home.
    Oh, my gosh, I remember the square dancing. I was always hopeing to not get a boy that had "coodies".:laugh: (Is that spelled right?) My dad took it up after my mother died. He was getting into clogging when he died. He was in great shape, though. Very active. I hope to be like him.
  • aisser
    aisser Posts: 232
    Options
    I haven't been on here for a week. I was on a cruise had a great time. I went down103 feet in a sub that was lots of fun. I didn't keep up with my calories while I was on the ship but I made sure I drank my water. I didn't loose any weight this last week but :happy: I didn't gain. Good luck to all and for the ones that are under the weather hope things get better soon:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    I, too, find that I log everything, even on days when I don't do very well. The only thing I really don't log are little nibbles here and there. That is, less I have a lot of "nibbles", then I add in some generic calories.

Someone at one of the grocerie stores told me that clementines are out of season. I honestly don't know about them. I do now that oranges, grapefruit, and tangerines are coming into season. I would think that would also mean lemons and limes.

Jackie - my saying is "you're as old as you feel, and I feel 39 (I just don't talk about the days when I feel 69).

firetuck - I set my calorie goal lower than what MFP had for me. I used the Harris-Benedict method to determine what it should be.

Jeannie - why is your son getting the EEG?

We were very suprised that our neighbors had their driveway plowed. They are such fitness buffs, I always see them out walking. I would have thought for sure that they'd want the exercise of shoveling. The woman was surprised that dh and I shoveled our driveway.

I went for my first infusion of the reclast this Tuesday. I was told that some people experience flu-like symptoms, but they didn't think that I'd have them since I'd been on the Actonel. Well, I didn't have anything Tuesday but Wednesday night! My muscles were so achey. First I was so hot that I couldn't stand it, then nothing I would do would warm me up. Even dh asked why I was so restless. Well, here it is Friday. The achey-ness is no where near what it was like on Tuesday! I am still feeling a bit achey, tho. I was planning to do some weight training on Thursday, but decided against it. I did go to a pilates class yesterday, tho. Today I just did a walking DVD at home. I usually do yoga on Saturdays, hope I can do it tomorrow.

Got some bananas, they were on sale for 50 cents/pound. I bought some peaches (BIIIIGGGGG mistake). They are so hard, I'm glad I only got 3. I should have known better -- peaches aren't in season.

The original plan was that we were to leave for FL this past Wed. However, mother nature has other plans. Plus, dh was going to take the cats with us since we'd be gone for so long. But then Sadie needed the metacam so we're kind-of putting the trip on hold. I do know that he needs to go down for the Daytona 500. So we shall see when we leave. I think he might be thinking that we'll leave Monday. Not sure, tho. Wish all this snow had waited until we were in FL. When we're down there, it can snow all it pleases, as long as it doesn't snow when we get back.

Busy getting ready for our 50's/60's dance. Right now dh has a playlist of songs from the 60's. Boy, it's making me want to dance. And the memories!

aisser - glad you had a good time. Where did you go? And, more importantly, why didn't you take me....lol?

Michele
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello all and Happy Friday.

I'm having kind of a digging through papers kind of day as it is so snowy outside. Yesterday the flakes were so big it looked like it was snowing "snowballs." It didn't actually start sticking till around 4:30 PM but boy has it stuck since then. We've had at least five inches and it's still coming down.

I was totally bad last night with my eating. Went to a friends house for pre-dinner (which was eaten out) snacks and wine. Never a good idea!!!:grumble: Then we went back and played some cards and she had made a strawberry cream cheese pie to have with coffee.

There is one thing I truly feel grateful about, and that is this site. You ladies and OA have made all the difference in the world to me on this journey. With words like "today is a new day", "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up", "yesterday's slip up is history, leave it in the past" ringing in my ears, it's so much easier to brush oneself off after a slip and move forward with focus, determination, and most importantly SUCCESS!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

:heart: Terri :heart:
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, It's been mostly rain this afternoon but we may get some more snow over night. I hope not. I don't want to be stuck in the house for yet another weekend.

I did the treadmill this aftenoon for about 40 minutes. I jogged 21 of those minutes. That made me happy since I used to be able to go for 30. Its really old, we bought is second hand, and it doesn't have any kind of incline so you can't vary anything. I just couldn't make myself do the elliptical today.

Becky: I think it's spelled cooties, at least thats how I learned it. I did think square dancing was lots of fun. I know there square dancing groups around here. I do have a friend who has been in one, maybe I'll ask her when they meet. Our problem is someone being here to take care of Granny and my husband works 2nd so it would have to be on Saturday for us.

Well, off to the shower,

Cindy
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

firetuck - I set my calorie goal lower than what MFP had for me. I used the Harris-Benedict method to determine what it should be.

Michele

:smile: This made me curious so I found the formula and also one for the Mifflin-St Jeor
    method. Both of them have my calorie needs as being quite a bit higher than MFP has! Hmmm...I'll stick with this one for a while longer since it seems to be working, but I think I'll bookmark those sites for when I hit a plateau! Thanks, Michele, for the idea!:flowerforyou:

Well, I have finished my first week back at work and I am tired!:laugh: I'm glad I've been working out, though, because I found it easier to lug around the trees and move the towers of plants! I have no idea what to do with this as regarding my calorie intake. Should I just raise my daily activity level in my goals? I really don't want to sabotage my weight-loss efforts!

I hope everyone is doing well. I have only skimmed the posts and am sorry to not really know what's going on! I'm sure I'll be better able to keep up once I get used to my new schedule.:smile:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I weighed in this morning and I maintained. :happy: I was expecting a gain because I've been eating more (a little, anyway) since going back to work. I've been hungrier than usual!:laugh:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Barbie – I don’t think it was me, but I do read the posts almost every morning with my coffee and breakfast. It’s a nice way to get a calm start to my day. I think your tape is right.

Jackie – lol I really enjoyed your snow shoveling comment. I am shoveling and it is suppose to snow some more 6 of the next 7 days.

Cindy – Oh my yes! We had square dancing with boys. It was so weird. It is really a big thing for adults if you find the right group. There has to be DVDs for it and maybe it’s something you and your hubby can do together.

Michele- My son has passed out a few times since school started. We’ve been going to a cardiologist and a neurologist. It’s not his heart and the EEG was to check for seizure disorders. We will know in about a week. Most likely it is his poor diet. No matter what I give him and don’t keep in the house he manages to eat a lot of sugar and caffeine. I think the last time when he hit his head it got his attention and he is finally not fighting us on eating healthy.

I love that so many of us are getting snow. It is the best source of drinking water and we all know we need to drink a lot of it. lol

Last night I binged a little. It was so hard staying up to midnight and I was so nervous about how the EEG will turn out. Still this binge was less than it would have been a few years ago, so I'm OK about it and not dwelling on it.

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we went out with a friend who came from out of town and had Chinese food----I made good choices but there's no way to sidestep the sodium

:flowerforyou: we had beautiful weather today so there were a dozen dogs at the off leash park.......Brandy and Sasha mostly ignored the other dogs and played with each other

:flowerforyou: we're going to Seattle for the day tomorrow----3 hours in the car, two ferry rides, and a three hour meeting---that won't leave much time for exercise.....the dog grooming girls will spend the day at our house to groom the dogs and keep them company.

:flowerforyou: Line dance was great......I brought my neighbor with me for her first class....she's the one whose husband died in November then she broke her ankle when her dogs ran into her.....she's finally healed enough to dance.....spending time with her fits into my new goal of spending time with positive people....she has the greatest attitude of joy and gratitude.

gotta get up early so it's time for bed now.....:heart::heart: :heart: hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Texemgirl
    Options
    Hi, Ladies! :smile: I just joined MFP yesterday (2/4/10) for recording my food intake and to get some motivational help.

A little history about myself: October 17, 2005, is the first day I weighed myself and went on a gluten-free diet; however, it was on September 1, 2005, that I actually started to drastically reduce my food intake ... only took me 1.5 months to get the courage to step on the scale! :laugh: Anyway, with that being said, I did lose quite a bit of weight, and then I just maintained for a couple of years. December 1, 2009, my doctor decided it was time that I lose some more weight so I went on the Zone diet. I successfully lost another 25 lbs last year. As of yesterday, I have lost exactly 90 lbs since October 17, 2005 ... I'm sure it is more like 100+ lbs or so because I was losing weight fast at the beginning.

I have 16 lbs left to lose to reach my goal weight of 120 lbs, but I am at a standstill. I know it's because I am not eating enough food and my food diary proves it. I'm just having the hardest time trying to stretch my stomach enough to be able to eat the amount of food I should be eating. This is where I need help and encouragement. I forget to eat because I always feel full. My stomach really shrunk while I was on bed rest for the past 2 months. Even though I know I was eating 800 calories or less per day for the last 2 months (this I came to realize after logging my meals in the food diary), I didn't lose an ounce. I'm now afraid that my metabolism is all messed up, and I won't lose the 16 lbs I need to lose to reach my goal weight. :sad: BTW, exercising is not an option for me.

Ladies, any and all suggestions and encouragement will be appreciated. Thanks! :heart:

Karen :flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think I did pretty well this past week, but the scale will tell tomorrow morning :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:laugh: I had an awesome time at "belly dancing" last night. Man is that a workout!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Rebel
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!

Well as I stated in my previous post, I have been faithfully working out 7 days a week since January 2nd.

I have also been completely on top of my diet by weighing and measuring everything and the biggest thing of all, I have not had any junk food. Not one morsel. I have to say as well, that I don't even miss it, I have no cravings for anything. That makes me extremely happy.

Anyways, this morning was my weigh in day and I am in absolute disbelief......I have lost another 3 lbs since last Saturday!

I knew that my body was feeling different this past week. As I was quickly walking to my car after work (had to hurry up and get home) I realized that I could "feel" my abs. My abs felt like I was tightening them only I wasn't. So it really got my attention, I realized that along with "feeling my abs", I also wasn't "giggling" in the mid-section. Let me tell you, that put a spring in my step and a smile on my face.

The other thing I noticed was when I put my belt on with my dress pants, the hole that I usually do my belt up on, it was drooping on my waistband. I just thought that I accidentally did up my belt on the wrong hole, I guess I didn't.

I have decided that now that I have lost 17lbs since January 2nd, that I am going out today and I am going to "treat" myself by buying something "pretty" as a reward for all of that hard work.

Terri - just to add to those inspiring sayings, here is one I like: "Yesterday is gone, tomorrow hasn't even happened yet, all we really have is this moment". So we should not be dwelling on those "would of, should of, could of's" and as far as tomorrow, we can't predict what will actually happen. So we all need to just stay focused on what our choices are right now, in this moment.

Barbie - I agree with the speaker on your CD, "surround yourself with positive people and stay away from "dream stealers". I realized years ago how true that saying really is. I turned that all around and my friends now are all enthusiastic, positive and caring people. I just quietly distance myself from the "nay-sayers" of the world.

This is my life, I get to choose how I want to live it.

Also, as mentioned earlier on this thread, I start every single morning off with a cup of coffee and read this thread. I deliberately do not read the newspaper or listen to the news. The "media machine" always dwells on the worst side of life. That's too negative for me first thing in the morning.

Reading this thread every morning has me smiling and happy and sets the tone for the rest of my day.

Thank you to everyone on this thread.

By being positive, we create a ripple effect. It's very contagious and we can all pay it forward. You don't know how much that smile or encouraging word might really make someone's day.

Have a super day everyone and let's make the right choices for us!

Debbie
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Debbie : congrats on the weight lost and gone forever! After you get that pretty new outfit we want you to take a new pic and post for all to see the new and improved you!

When I got up this morning I was thinking I can't live like this, ( something that hubby is doing that is bothering me). My Bible study this morning was about not thinking negatively. Wow, it just seems like when you cannot deal with an issue you get exactly what you need. That happens for a lot of us in this message board too. I'm grateful for all the words of encouragement that we get here daily. We could aptly retitle our post "The Daily Dose for a winning Attitude".

Yeah! We didn't get any more snow overnight. I haven't checked the weather today so I don't know what we are in for but will be thankful for whatever we get. As one senior I knew used to say "Everyday on this side of the grass is good". His delight in living will be in my memories for a long time.

Off to do my duty and get Granny going for the day!

BBL

Cindy
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    My Bible study this morning was about not thinking negatively. Wow, it just seems like when you cannot deal with an issue you get exactly what you need. That happens for a lot of us in this message board too. I'm grateful for all the words of encouragement that we get here daily. We could aptly retitle our post "The Daily Dose for a winning Attitude".

BBL

Cindy

Cindy, I LOVE your idea for the title of this thread, "The Daily Dose for a winning Attitude".

Now this is a dose that is GOOD medicine.

Have a great day today Cindy, glad it stopped snowing for you.

Debbie
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Cindy thank you for the wonderful words. Not thinking negatively should be how we are in every aspect of our lives.

:flowerforyou: Debbie, you are doing great. Three more pounds lost. YES !!! You are a great inspiration for all of us.

:flowerforyou: Welcome Karen. It sounds like you and I am at the same place. I want to lose about 10 more pounds and am having quite the time doing this. We can keep each other accountable.

We got our winter storm last night. Have about 8 inches of snow with a couple more expected tomorrow. So pretty outside...as long as I don't have to go out in it.:laugh:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Welcome Karen! It sounds like you have a lot of dietary and physical limitations so it is going to be hard for you to loose that last 10 pounds. This is the right forum for you as one after another we will try to post ideas for you. If they work great, if not someone else will suggest something else until you find what works for you. My first thought is to suggest that your daily calorie intake be set at your BMR or just above. My BMR is 1265 so I have my calories set at 1300 a day. How often are you eating currently?

Debbie - Congradulations on the weightloss!

Cindy - I struggle to with family issues. We just have to hang in there and keep the faith in what we are doing. The stakes are too high for us to stop now.

About coworkers, friends and family that AREN'T loosing weight. I had to laugh (again) at work this past week. One lady and I are the two successful ones about loosing weight. We basically are doing the same thing but on different diet types. Others keep asking us what we are doing and when we tell them they say "I can't do that" or "that won't work for me, I'm too busy". lol My fellow 'looser' and I met up in the break room and chatted about how others come to us for help and advise then rebuke what we offer. We both laughed. Until some one is ready for change and help, they won't change and you can't help them. Those of us here have decided to change and therefore we can accept help from each other.

My goals for today are to get the firewood out of the garage and stacked by the house and to shovel the front driveway. I bought another snow shovel so I can have one kid out there with me and just switch kids when they get tired.

Have a great day all!

Jeannie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Good Afternoon from a lovely Sunny....yep! that yellow shiny stuff!... N.Wales. I think we may have double figures in temp. but haven't been out.
    ...GET YOUR READING GLASSES ON NOW....:glasses:

Today I am thinking it's good that cleaning can be measured as part of exercise. I've been "topping and bottoming" the house.
    Must be the sunshine! The Beds have been changed, rooms dusted ... can't say hoovered as DH has done that.... and polished, floors washed. Mind you the kitchen needed it. ... We woke up to find what I thought was a murder scene in the kitchen. Having watched a lot of the forensic police investigation TV, DH and & I decided ..from the blood splatter pattern , that a crime had definately taken place.
    - the cats were lined up and interrogated but neither of them "'fessed up" . Both looked guilty!! Later, after wiping the blood from the cupboard doors, floor and work top - sanitising of course - we found that Chaz had some fight marks on his ears,
    So ... He's the guilty one ... but we still love him!! :laugh:

I did get on the scales this morning.. just can't resist... lost a pound of the 1.5 I put on!! Today, I think , won't be a problem but Sunday may prove a bit tricky as we have my eldest son and family round for lunch. Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding with fruit crumble and custard for "afters". :ohwell:

Cindy - The "Latin Tone" with Lilia - from Strictly Come Dancing - came today! Once we'd managed to get the DVD to work ...it looks good. I'm still waiting:sad: fot the "How To Dance" DVD's .... will phone them up on Monday ... just in case they've been hi- jacked and someone else is Salsa ing to my DVD!

Aisser - let us know where you cruised to and what "Boat" oops! Sorry .. Ship. We're off in August with RCL Jewel of the Seas to Scandinavia and Russia.

Michelle - I chuckLled when you said your neighbours had had their drive ploughed! ...Ploughed? I asked ... what on earth for! What would you plant on your drive? Then the penny dropped... Snow Plough!! Am I thick ...or What?!! :embarassed: I hope your 50's & 60's dance went well. Love the music ... my eldest son's a DJ and has a load of the "Oldies" on his decks.

Terri - I wish you could've shared that Strawberry cream cheese pie from the other night ... sounds delicious. Definately too good to miss. You can compensate for that later.... you will... you will!!:smile:

Cindy & Becky - Pardon me for being ignorant but (Being English) ... What are "Cooties"? .... Spots? The Square dancing sounds good... Would this be like the Scottish Country Dancing I did at School? Good work out anyway.:laugh:

Kathy - I'm with you ... the calorie counting methods you named sound awfully complicated. I'm just about getting to grips with the MFP version!! Better the devil you know....:devil:

Rebel - When you finish your Belly Dancing class - take a picture and post it!!:happy:

Debbie - Congrats! on the good week. Well done with the weight loss and finding your "Abs". Boy.. I haven't felt or seen my abs for years!! I agree ... we want to see the reward dress!!:drinker:

Jeannie - How did the snow shovelling go. We've heard on our news there's loads of snow coming USA way.... sorry!!
    Hadn't thought of people using the snow as drinking water ... probably because we don't really get a lot here ... but beware!!... Steer clear of ....Yellow snow!!!:noway:

Barbie - Sounds like you're doing well with the line Dancing again. You're chinese sounded good too. I'm trying my best to cut out salt from cooking now... finding the food very bland but I'll persevere.:smile:

Karen - Hi ... I'm new really - 2 weeks now!! It's a great group on a great site. Great Support!!:bigsmile:

So.... you probably won't get such a detailed reply to all often ! I too enjoy reading all the posts and feel it's nice to put in my "Four pence worth" when I can!! If I've missed out anyone.... I'LL GET YOU ANOTHER TIME!

I too, ...like the daily dose of "WINNING ATITUDE" - and will take spoonsful when I can .... What a pharmacy we have here!!
    and it's open 24/7!!!

Bye all ... I'll give someone else a chance now!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: mynyddisamrs....cooties are what we would say we would get from boys. You know...yicky. We all outgrew that train of thought as we got older.:laugh: I would say to sent some of that sunshine to me but I am actually enjoying the snow.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, speaking of co-workers. Mine has put on a few pounds since stopping smoking. She watched as I lost 20 pounds and wanted to get in on whatever secrets I had to lose. Well, I let her in on my diet foods. She then tried eating healthier. It lasted maybe a week. She had to stop because she said that she felt like she was starving. I looked at some of the food that she was bringing to work. It was full fat foods with lots of sugar. She really wasn't trying. So, I can not help her. She has to be determined enough to eat right.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    love that so many of us are getting snow. It is the best source of drinking water and we all know we need to drink a lot of it. lol

In the words of Frank Zappa "don't you eat that yellow snow" :laugh:

Michele
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    According to the scale this morning I gained 1/2 lb. That was a little discouraging :sad: I must say that I had a couple of martini's on Friday night (the evening before the Saturday morning weigh-in, duh), which I did not say NO to when DH offered them. What was he trying to do....get me tipsy? And he had made homemade soup, which tends to be high in sodium and I find difficult to measure in terms of calories and kept me hungry. Grumble, grumble, grumble. No one to blame but me, however. It's not as if I don't have a voice and willpower. :ohwell:

:bigsmile: My clothes fit better though, so I clearly gained in fitness. My size 16's are just "hanging out" in the closet having no further purpose in my life :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

This site keeps me accountable by logging the good, the bad and the ugly!! :wink: And you ladies are real, with real life struggles and successes that I can relate to.

I read with interest the stories about well-meaning co-workers etc. Similarly at my office, I see a lot of people with little pre-packaged foods for lunch, and then telling me that a salad would just not be enough for me (they probably think for them, but it is directed at me). Ha, have they seen my salads?:noway: What is it about fresh, organic vegetables that they don't get? Throw on seeds (pumpkin, flax, sunflower, sesame), dressing of organic olive oil & balsamic vinegar and enough lean chicken or cheese and I'm not the one who craves for sweets in the middle of the afternoon.

:wink: Here I am on my little soapbox. Ignore me, I am preaching to the choir.:wink:

Love you all :heart:

Rebel