What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    First wedding (divorce) ...sold the dress

Second wedding (death)...still have the dress

Current wedding....gave the dress away (it was a summer dress) because I'm around 60 lbs lighter now and will never wear the dress again.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have mine, wedding was 3.5 years ago and I still haven't gotten it cleaned WHOOPS! :blushing:
  • Misstivy
    Misstivy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :heart: My Mother had mine preserved and I have been packing it around with me and it's still in my closet after 48 yrs. even though
    we divorced a long time ago. I don't have the heart to give it away. I had hoped one of my Granddaughters would wear it one day, but that didn't happen so now I can only hope that one of my Great Granddaughters or Great Grandsons wives will wear it one day.
  • imbeginningagain
    Options
    I had a white formal made for my senior prom and wore it for my wedding. Then cut it off and made a cute little mini...that was back in the 70's!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been married three times. The first and last there was no gown. #2 was the only son so we had a wedding for his family really. I saved the gown for my daughters only to find that when we moved a year ago, a mouse had found it's way into the garment bag and made a mess out of the bottom of the dress. My now 16 year old doesn't seem too interested in the gown itself so I may do as others here have mentioned and use the fabric and trim that's still good to make a ring bearer's pillow if any of the kids want. I'm not attached to it in any way but it seemed a waste to get rid of it.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I still have mine, stuffed in the back of my closet. I was married 8 yrs ago. I finally fit in the thing again! Yay me! I tried it on a few months ago just to make sure :drinker:
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I sold mine on eBay about a month after the wedding. Our wedding was awful-- my MOH's brother died in a car accident 20 mins. before I walked down the aisle, our photographer lost half the photos, no one danced, the food wasn't great and we were forced to do the ceremony inside the reception hall because of rain. On top of that, my SIL gave me some Valium to calm me down right before I walked down the aisle (I was absolutely losing it) and during the reception, the small amount of alcohol (a glass of bubbly and two mixed drinks, by account of my husband) I drank interacted with the meds she gave me and I was so inebriated that I can barely remember anything at all.

If I was attached to the memories before, I certainly wasn't after all that. I mean I married the love of my life, so that part was awesome-- but the rest of it might as well be written out of my mind. :(
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I sold mine on eBay about a month after the wedding. Our wedding was awful-- my MOH's brother died in a car accident 20 mins. before I walked down the aisle, our photographer lost half the photos, no one danced, the food wasn't great and we were forced to do the ceremony inside the reception hall because of rain. On top of that, my SIL gave me some Valium to calm me down right before I walked down the aisle (I was absolutely losing it) and during the reception, the small amount of alcohol (a glass of bubbly and two mixed drinks, by account of my husband) I drank interacted with the meds she gave me and I was so inebriated that I can barely remember anything at all.

If I was attached to the memories before, I certainly wasn't after all that. I mean I married the love of my life, so that part was awesome-- but the rest of it might as well be written out of my mind. :(
    Wow, that is so sad about your MOH's brother! But I'm glad you married the love of your life.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I still have my first wedding dress even though I divorced that husband over 20 years ago. The dress is 35 years old now, and still in my closet in the original bag. My aspirational goal is to lose enough weight to fit into it again. My plan was always to wear it one of these Halloweens, but I have not been able to get into it so far. This time, I believe I will make it. Here's to Halloween 2013! :smile:
  • Cathi1992
    Cathi1992 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had dreamt of making the Christening gown for my kids and never did it. I tried it on recently and after 20 years of marriage it didn't fit but that is because it was much to big. What a delight to renew my wedding vows in a size 12 versus the size 18 or 20 I wore back then. I love the idea of the ring bearer pillows. That is a beautiful ideal that I might actually be able to get done before my kids (age 9 and 5) are ready to walk down the aisle!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a wedding photographer ( as a last resort) and often times a bride will want to do a 'trash the dress' shoot where her and her hubby will ride quad bikes in mud etc wearing their wedding outfits, or a run through muddy fields, any thing that involves ruining the dress. the best one was a tomato fight in a vat 12 fit across and 3 feet deep filled with tomatoes in Italy that I did :-)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I held onto mine for a few years, but eventually gave it to Goodwill so someone else could get some enjoyment out of it.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Wow, that is so sad about your MOH's brother! But I'm glad you married the love of your life.

It was awful. She was very, very close with her brother and he was only 23. Her heart is still broken. She can't even look at the pictures we took before the wedding (while she was still there) because she has nightmares. It was awful for all parties. :(
  • Robot1976
    Robot1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can donate here...

www.thebridesproject.com

This place is in Toronto, but I'm sure there are places like it all over. Or you can mail it to them.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I don't get the trash the dress thing...unless the marriage ends horribly. LOL.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sold it.
    The girl who wore it was married and divorced in a year. Oops!
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    Donated it to the Salvation Army after we divorced.

I still have the rings though, but only because I paid for them. :huh:
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I still have my entire wedding outfit, bagged and stored at my parent's house. I just got married in July!! haha and I live in a separate province from my husband for school 8 months of the year, so neither apartment seemed like a good place to store it and I haven't had time to decide what I'll do with it. I feel like I'm too sentimental to get rid of it but maybe if I have a daughter I'll use the fabric or crystals on it to make something for her.
  • michelle1973nc
    michelle1973nc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress from 2003 is in the closet in a bag. I showed my daughter the dress one day but had forgotten how I smoked when we got married. I quit when I got pregnant with her 1 month later. It still reeks of smoke. I'll need to get it drycleaned before she or I do anything with it. I really wanted to renew our vows in it one day but I can't see fitting it again. It's beautiful though and my daughter may want it, so I'll keep it till???? She's only 8, so I'm hoping it'll be in the closet a long long time.:happy:
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I saved mine and then when I had my daughter I had used it to make her Christening gown - turned out beautiful and was very happy to have it used again :-)

That's exactly what my Christening gown was! I'm not married yet... but that's what I want to use mine for as well(:

And about the cleaning price, it's well worth it, they put it in special chemical tissue paper so it won't be mildewed or eaten by moths. (my parents own dry cleaners haha) Hope you find exactly what you wanna use it for(: