Sister wives

Options
charelg
charelg Posts: 599 Member
So, I'm watching this show on t l c, where the man has 4 wives and like 30 kids or something. Anyone else watch this show? What are your thoughts on polygamy?

Replies

• newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've seen it several times. Personally, I don't like it at all. It seriously skeeves me. But I have to admit, it is fascinating the way everyone gets along.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Have only seen the commercials for it, but the guy seems really weird. And I would never share my husband with any other woman..not a chance.
  • charelg
    Options
    Yeah I don't get it either. It's like they are brainwashed thinking its normal.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If all the wives are consenting adults, why not? I don't have a problem with polygamy, or bigamy or any other marriage that isn't the standard man and wife. As long as it involves consenting adults, who cares?
  • charelg
    Options
    And you know all those kids get teased at school.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of polygamy, more than one girl is too much for me to handle.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

You don't know that for certain. Even so, kids will tease other kids for the dumbest reasons, usually because they're taught to be hostile towards those who are not like them.
  • charelg
    Options

You don't know that for certain. Even so, kids will tease other kids for the dumbest reasons, usually because they're taught to be hostile towards those who are not like them.
    Actually on some of the episodes the kids have cried and spoke with the producers about it.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    it's extremely common in the middle east.... Personally I wouldnt allow it but each person to their own
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Actually on some of the episodes the kids have cried and spoke with the producers about it.

Well, kids are cruel and it's partially because of their upbringing. It sucks, but that experience may teach the kids to be more tolerant towards others in the future. That's no different than a kid being teased because they have two mommies/daddies or because they have only one mom/dad.
  • charelg
    Options
    I guess this is what makes the world go round,.each to their own. I just like watching it.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    I guess this is what makes the world go round,.each to their own. I just like watching it.

Alternate marriages are intriguing to learn about. Kind of like watching a wildlife documentary.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've seen the show and find it interesting. Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want. I have no problem with polyamorous relationships. I would (and have) fight for the rights of grown people to be free to live how they see fit.

I do however have a huge problem with how some of these religious groups try to enact legislation that would force the rest of us to live a certain way based entirely on (what I see as) their own made-up mythology. So I 100% support them in whatever they choose to do but I just think they should also 100% support everyone else in how we want to live our lives. For instance the Mormons had a huge part in meddling in prop 8 in CA. But I'm not talking about just Mormons I think almost every religious person/group needs a little lesson in live and let live.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If all the wives are consenting adults, why not? I don't have a problem with polygamy, or bigamy or any other marriage that isn't the standard man and wife. As long as it involves consenting adults, who cares?
    very true.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting. And really, is it that much of a stretch?

I have a roommate (my best friend) and a husband. No, they certainly do not sleep together, but if I'm at work, she cooks dinner, we alternate chores and she helps me raise my boys. I don't think it's odd, but people are so quick to judge. We're just like sisters.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What?! A whole first page of logical, thoughtful, nonjudgmental commentary?!

I'll call this day a success already!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That lifestyle is definately not for me. I'm greedy and selfish. I'd rather live alone than share my husband. :laugh:
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have 8 children. Although I could certainly use the help of a sister-wife in the kitchen and laundry departments she would have to stay out of the bedroom. I do not share well!! LOL.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't get it either. It's like they are brainwashed thinking its normal.

Maybe not. I saw an episode where Meri's daughter said she would NEVER share a husband. She said she'd be too jealous. Apparently, they are not pushing it on the kids. I guess they leave it up to the individual to decide.

P.S. The wives are fairly likeable. The head dude is kind of a jacka$$ to me, though. He's got quite an ego.
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I like the show... I personally could not/would not but I can see their point of view to a point and where they got their idealogy from.