Sister wives

Options

Replies

• xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who fully support gay marriage but are adamant against any sort of marriage with multiple spouses be it multiple husbands or wives.

^^^This exactly. It is not for me but I totally understand why it works for them!
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This guy is my hero.... lol

but in all honesty, that's pretty messed up. I've watched it before and they are really freakin weird.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with polygamy, just in how some people/ groups practice it. Like everything else with marriage and relationships, it should be with consenting adults.
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I don't think it is 'wrong' per se. However; I don't understand it at all. I have a hard time believing that they all get along like they claim too, it seems really faked to me. That could be because I just can't wrap my head around it though. I think that is why some people can fully support gay marriage and not this, because we can 'understand' Gay marriage. It makes perfectly good sense to me that a Man can love another Man with all his heart. But one man with 4 women, that just seems off. It doesn't seem healthy either, especially when the 'man' is as egotistical and just plain creepy as the guy in this show.

They don't always get along. They don't claim to either. There were several episodes where Christine voiced her concerns about her wavering relationship with Robyn. She really went through a tough time with the whole jealousy thing. It happens. Plus, the wives pretty much choose the next wives....if that makes sense. They aren't ok with Kody just running out to find a new relationship...that's not what he does. They are the ones that meet the other women and pretty much decide if the courting will happen.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So, I'm watching this show on t l c, where the man has 4 wives and like 30 kids or something. Anyone else watch this show? What are your thoughts on polygamy?

I don't understand people who fully support gay marriage but are adamant against any sort of marriage with multiple spouses be it multiple husbands or wives.

I agree there! I fully support gay marriage AND the right to live poly-amorously if that is what CONSENTING adults choose. Families like in Big Love or Sister Wives are perfectly fine, and no one has the right to judge them. When it comes to compounds and young girls getting 'given' to old men and such, that is wrong, and those people are not going anywhere near the 'paradise' they claim. I think if they made poly marriage legal, it would be much easier to regulate those abusing it.

Also, not just polygamy the way it is seen in these show. I also am in support of a woman having more than one partner, or even a group of people living together. As long as they are all adults and are not hurting anyone else, who are we to judge how and who people love. Love is never wrong when everyone involved is an adult and it is reciprocated.

^This exactly. I have nothing more to add.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i personally think it's a number of divorces waiting to happen. A husband-wife relationship is supposed to be a strong one, built on trust and compassion. I find it very difficult to understand how this husband can show full support at any of these homes and any of these wives. Perhaps these adults are all consenting, but honestly.... does it really last?? I don't see how it can. in fact, there are a couple wives on that show who are contemplating divorce. They don't have the support that they need from the husband, he can't spread himself this thin and still be a model husband/father.

Father. That's another point. how jipped can the kids feel, knowing they have to share their 'dad time' with all these other brothers/sisters/cousins?! Maybe the adults consented, but these kids didn't sign up for it. I find it irresponsible on the dad's part. As for the moms/wives, i can see how people think they're strong, going into a scenario such as this. But i don't find it good parenting on their part too, to deprive them of a family where both parents are there to support them, 100% of the time.

I would assume they feel no more jipped than a family that has divorced and both parents have re-married and had more kids/brought more kids into the family. Or if the parents have divorced and one parent is in another state/province/country. Honestly the kids have a great support system - and HE is there with them... its not like he just forgets he has a bunch of kids...

I like the idea of sisterwives - seriously it takes a village to raise a child, and they have just created their own little village and they support their kids fully so whats the big deal? Could I share my husband? well if I had one its hard to say but if I went into the relationship knowing it was most likely going to end in a sisterwive kind of senario than yeah it wouldn't be a problem. Besides when your husband isn't aroung you have other kids to look after. This type of family makes more sense to me than the Duggars do.

Edited to complete my friggen train of thought

fair enough. to be honest, i've watched probably 10 minutes of the show total. Maybe i can't wrap my head around it, because i could never share my husband... ever. It's not even within my realm of possibility. knowing he's been intimate and given children with these other women would kill me... i'd feel as if i'm not enough for him.

To each his/her/their own i suppose.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I can't even talk my wife into a three way, so I don't think sister wives is very common. I mean just hire a nanny, adopt kids, get a tube sock. Same deal.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    It may take a village to raise a chlid, or 17, but it should NOT take a village to satisfy your husband.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I agree there! I fully support gay marriage AND the right to live poly-amorously if that is what CONSENTING adults choose. Families like in Big Love or Sister Wives are perfectly fine, and no one has the right to judge them. When it comes to compounds and young girls getting 'given' to old men and such, that is wrong, and those people are not going anywhere near the 'paradise' they claim. I think if they made poly marriage legal, it would be much easier to regulate those abusing it.

Also, not just polygamy the way it is seen in these show. I also am in support of a woman having more than one partner, or even a group of people living together. As long as they are all adults and are not hurting anyone else, who are we to judge how and who people love. Love is never wrong when everyone involved is an adult and it is reciprocated.

Agreed. Polyamory, multiple spouses, etc. should be a decision left up to the adult participants involved. The cults, sects, and religious whack-jobs have given the concept a negative connotation, but when you start talking about child brides, or forced marriages, that's nowhere near the same thing. That is statutory rape, and absolutely should be illegal. If you're talking about consenting adults, full disclosure, and open communication, that type of relationship shouldn't be regulated by governing authorities. Let people love whomever, and however many, they wish.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with fully consensual polyamory/polygamy. It's not for me, but it works for some people. I've discussed it with my husband a few times and he finds the thought of multiple wives scary. In his words, "I can barely cope with one, more would kill me."
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have trust issues and i definitely could never share my husband!!
    Knowing he's with me in addition to other women would make me feel as if i'm not enough for him.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If I had a say so in my choice of sister wives, I'd be all over this.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    While I personally don't believe in it, practice it, or think it's the best decision for everybody, it does seem to be the right decision for this family. The kids are healthy, happy, and incredibly loved. I only have a problem with it when it gets extreme, like with Warren Jeffs, who was essentially a cult leader who married young girls.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I like the dynamic.. then again, I believe in Polyamory.

If all parties are consenting, I see no issue with it.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    For all of those who believe any marriage should be legal if all parties involved are consenting adults- what about the children? Do we know enough of how children are affected by it? Should we care? Or should we just step back and allow adults to make their own choices for themselves and their children? Really curious about opinions on this.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've seen it. Although that particular family gets along almost too well in a creepy way, to each his own I say. If everyone is consenting, happy, and the kids are taken care of, then have at it.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If it works for them, go for it. Not for me.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I watched it and I decided that my husband should become a brother husband. But he said no. So selfish!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    For all of those who believe any marriage should be legal if all parties involved are consenting adults- what about the children? Do we know enough of how children are affected by it? Should we care? Or should we just step back and allow adults to make their own choices for themselves and their children? Really curious about opinions on this.

Since when do children have a choice in who their parents are? How many kids are abused (physically and/or emotionally) by a crappy step parent? C'mon.

If the children are taken care of, that should be what matters. These kids get just as much DAD time as kids of divorced parents. PLUS, they get 4x's more MOM time from multiple moms that love all the children.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    If all the wives are consenting adults, why not? I don't have a problem with polygamy, or bigamy or any other marriage that isn't the standard man and wife. As long as it involves consenting adults, who cares?

This. And for those asking about the Children, they are not forced into the lifestyle. I know people who practice a D/s lifestyle and they do not encourage the kids. It's choice.