Sister wives

Options

Replies

• tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In in my opinion. most of TLC's shows are just garbage....with 'toddlers & tiara' and 'sister wives' topping the list
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live like that, but each to their own.

If the polygamists are really as they appear on 'Sister Wives' then I don't see the issue. The family seems happy, the kids are taken care of, and they are allowing their children to follow their own beliefs... Now if it was like one of those polygamists cults where they brainwash a 13 year old girl into believing she wants to be the 7th wife of a 50 year old man then I might have a few negative things to say...
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    In in my opinion. most of TLC's shows are just garbage....with 'toddlers & tiara' and 'sister wives' topping the list

I think Honey Boo-Boo tops the list of the worst show....lol
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with people exercising their beliefs. Adults should be able to do whatever they please in their personal lives. I live in Utah and actually spent a good part of my weekend with some people who do/used to practice it and they are incredible people. Super family-oriented and look out for each other. And really, it seems like a logical setup in my opinion.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Since when do children have a choice in who their parents are? How many kids are abused (physically and/or emotionally) by a crappy step parent? C'mon.
    Unfortunately, children do not get a choice. And far too many are abused. That's why we have laws in place to protect them.
    If the children are taken care of, that should be what matters. These kids get just as much DAD time as kids of divorced parents. PLUS, they get 4x's more MOM time from multiple moms that love all the children.
    I was asking if we had any measure of how different types of marriages affect children in the long run. Just curious if there have been any real studies done on the emotional/psychological implications.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    4 wives? 30 kids? Are they preparing for 12/21/12? I know so often in our society we are told to be tolerant and accepting of everything, but I think this type of behavior crosses the line. It is not normal or healthy for one man to have four wives and 30 kids. How does he support them? How does he have enough time to be a father for them?
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What?! A whole first page of logical, thoughtful, nonjudgmental commentary?!

I'll call this day a success already!

I was thinking the SAME thing
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I think Honey Boo-Boo tops the list of the worst show....lol
    [/quote

AGREED

they had a preview of a new one. Amish Maffia

really.not.necessary.

but there are those who will watch it unfortunantly
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That lifestyle is definitely not me for, I'm not very good at sharing.
  • rainbowsprite
    Options
    i have seen the show a few times and it doesnt really impress me...why would any woman in their right mind want to share a man?? like seriously....and I dont know if anyone feels this way but he is not all that hot...I wouldnt go for him....just saying....
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Since when do children have a choice in who their parents are? How many kids are abused (physically and/or emotionally) by a crappy step parent? C'mon.
    Unfortunately, children do not get a choice. And far too many are abused. That's why we have laws in place to protect them.
    If the children are taken care of, that should be what matters. These kids get just as much DAD time as kids of divorced parents. PLUS, they get 4x's more MOM time from multiple moms that love all the children.
    I was asking if we had any measure of how different types of marriages affect children in the long run. Just curious if there have been any real studies done on the emotional/psychological implications.

Understand your question.

I just don't think it is relevant. Too many kids are neglected in general. I would rather my kids have too much love than none at all. One thing, in one the after-the-show commentary, some of the kids said they would not be polygamist. They may not want that for themselves, but they all admitted that they were happy with the family situation.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I saw the preview for Amish Mafia last night & he pretty much died laughing. It's so ridiculous and clearly these men go against almost everything the Amish believe in. My boyfriend is determined to become one of them. God help me. I'll be watching the first episode, probably won't have a choice lol
    [/quote]
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    [/quote

AGREED

they had a preview of a new one. Amish Maffia

really.not.necessary.

but there are those who will watch it unfortunantly
    [/quote]

I looked Amish Mafia up out of curiosity because I've never heard of it, it's actually made by Discovery. TLC has Breaking Amish.
    I personally don't have anything against polygamy and this particular family seems to be perfectly functional and loving. I seem to recall someone mentioning that they don't understand how 1 man supports 4 wives and 17 children. It sounded as if they have several businesses and at least one of the wives is attempting to become a realtor.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Understand your question. I just don't think it is relevant.
    That's what I was wondering. I'm wondering how many people think the marriages are relevant to the children or not. Thank you.

One thing, in one the after-the-show commentary, some of the kids said they would not be polygamist. They may not want that for themselves, but they all admitted that they were happy with the family situation.
    I was actually wondering about a study done on adults who were children in these types of homes.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    4 wives? 30 kids? Are they preparing for 12/21/12? I know so often in our society we are told to be tolerant and accepting of everything, but I think this type of behavior crosses the line. It is not normal or healthy for one man to have four wives and 30 kids. How does he support them? How does he have enough time to be a father for them?

100 years ago (heck, even 50 years ago) a lot of what is considered "normal" today would have been crossing the line. It is the natural progression. Live and let live :smile:
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Seems kind of involved just to have a threesome.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    For all of those who believe any marriage should be legal if all parties involved are consenting adults- what about the children? Do we know enough of how children are affected by it? Should we care? Or should we just step back and allow adults to make their own choices for themselves and their children? Really curious about opinions on this.
    I have lived in 5 states and have grown to know a LOT of people from many different backgrounds.. so perhaps I may have more insight to this than others.
    Some people I know from nuclear families;
    There was physical abuse, emotional abuse, a lot of "Mommy issues" Some went very far down the wrong path. 1 I know just up and *left her kid* after getting her back from custody "because mom cheated on my dad and wasn't raising my kid very well" ok, seriously? are you effing kidding me? Your kid is 14, SHE NEEDS YOU!? and you're off in la la land trying to "find yourself" grow the eff up! (she's 35) One grew up in TN, was very gay, killed himself. another TN dude married an Asian chick, his parents were extremely unhappy. They were quite racist. Another friend from a "nuclear" family, came out of the closet, her dad followed, she eventually went off the deep end and is now on her way to recovery... 20 years later. Nuclear family across the street? Their daughter killed herself. My ex from a nuclear family? on his 4th wife. His brothers did very well, though. I know about as many successful people from "nuclear families" as I do unsuccessful. Many are single and over 35. 1 black sheep of the white sheep of 13 kids killed herself after being a methhead for several years and having a sister raise her kid. The majority have "1st world problems"

"broken homes"
    Aaron, highly intelligent, highly educated, dove off the deep end to "find himself" all over Asia and just recently kinda settled down and has a wife and kid, about the time he turned 40. They're now finding themselves together all over Asia. Yah TOTALLY good for a kid to be uprooted whenever. Ken & Tim the manwh0res, Gabby who pretended to be stupid and slept with a LOT of people. Most have "daddy issues" It's about even but more "daddy issues". then there were the sisters up the street. "Hey kids, mom is going to study in france for a year. Here's some money, be good, the lady upstairs will check in on you"

On to my friends and I who were raised by Lesbian/Gay parents
    we are by far the most f*cked up of them all. especially the sons. Some were shipped back and forth with more custody issues than most. Some were overly coddled and spoiled to "Make up for all that is wrong/buying love" There was a lot of confusion.
    Many people say "Oh, it's not about man and wife, but how they treat each other with love and respect" this is so far from the truth it's ridiculous. But we made it. Not all of us.. but many of us. I know one lesbian who fostered or adopted over 30 kids through the years. Her photos were amazing. So many candid photos of such happy kids.

It is said that no one gets out of childhood unscathed by our parents and it's so true. No matter who they are, who they love or how they love. No matter what the circumstances, they will in some way screw us up. The kid can either grow up and do what's right, or play the bad parenting card and slack his/her way through life, hopefully understand life and "find them self" before it's too late.

Kids with a mom and dad in a polygamy marriage? Sure, it will b e confusing, but it's also full of love and people who are there for them. Sure they will be teased. I was teased, my kids were teased.. shi happens.
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I have lived in 5 states and have grown to know a LOT of people from many different backgrounds.. so perhaps I may have more insight to this than others.

So, all things considered equal and good, what do YOU believe is the best family situation for raising children?
  • LMick1986
    Options

So, all things considered equal and good, what do YOU believe is the best family situation for raising children?

Basically saying "It doesn't matter what type of family you grow up in, you will get teased, you will have something bad happen that changes your life, you will have something so amazing happen that changes your whole life, you will go through things that just about every kid goes through in some way, shape, or form." :)

There is no "right way" to have a family. Every parent will make some mistake. Every parent will do something amazing in their child's life. There isn't a rule book on how to do everything. So, I believe there is no "best" family situation to raise a child. You do the best you can and love them all the way through it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly these were not the best people to present a polygamous marriage to mainstream America. Cody (the husband) is a child. Mentally and I presume emotionally.

His wives seem to be a wee bit messed up themselves. The one stated she is a second wife because the thought of being alone with a man scared her. Does that seem healthy? No. No it really doesn't.

I find myself feeling sorry for his first wife all the time. She seems unhappy. All around unhappy.

I don't have anything against any of them as people but what I've seen on the show does not seem like a healthy relationship to me (I say this realizing I have only seen heavily edited clips of their lives... I'm just saying the clips haven't really shown them in an entirely favorable light).

And on top of that why bother being together? They all live in separate areas. They all lead their own lives. Each family unit has different rules for the children (or at least that's what I saw on the episodes I watched). They are not a cohesive unit but separate units claiming the same husband. The children seem to be growing up almost in single family homes, except for when they have their 'dad' week'. They seem to come together only when it's needed. Really this relationship seems to be mainly for Cody's benefit. When he gets bored - NEW WIFE! Yay! He's not bored anymore.

Disclaimer: I have no thoughts about polygamy. I'm neither for nor against. I just don't like the dynamics of this particular family.