Sister wives

Options

Replies

• kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i personally think it's a number of divorces waiting to happen. A husband-wife relationship is supposed to be a strong one, built on trust and compassion. I find it very difficult to understand how this husband can show full support at any of these homes and any of these wives. Perhaps these adults are all consenting, but honestly.... does it really last?? I don't see how it can. in fact, there are a couple wives on that show who are contemplating divorce. They don't have the support that they need from the husband, he can't spread himself this thin and still be a model husband/father.

Father. That's another point. how jipped can the kids feel, knowing they have to share their 'dad time' with all these other brothers/sisters/cousins?! Maybe the adults consented, but these kids didn't sign up for it. I find it irresponsible on the dad's part. As for the moms/wives, i can see how people think they're strong, going into a scenario such as this. But i don't find it good parenting on their part too, to deprive them of a family where both parents are there to support them, 100% of the time.

SOOOO well said. Everyone can talk about "consenting adults" blah blah blah "not hurting anyone" blah blah blah, but... THE KIDS. No, these children will not grow up with the support and individual attention they need. It's not a healthy environment, nor good parenting AT ALL.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If they are doing it because they enjoy it then I think that's fine, as long as they are providing a healthy home life for the children and are available to them.

But, are they providing a healthy home life for the children? Do we know that this situation is healthy? Still haven't seen anyone here with information on a comprehensive survey of adults who grew up in that environment as children.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not for me... if I'm going to put my husband above all others, he better put me there in return!

What I don't understand is it's always one man, multiple women. To me, that doesn't seem right. I'm all for living how you want to live as long as you're not hurting anyone else, but I'm fairly certain all of these polygamist men would have fits if another husband was brought on board. Why is it one-sided?
    Because religious text was written by men?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    They seem happy and the kids are well taken care of- and the kids are free to choose whether they want to participate in that lifestyle or not. The latest season shows that some of the kids believe in it, some don't. The show is all consenting adults, and they don't have any child brides, and aren't pushing their own children in to early marriages. I don't see a problem.

Seems a lot more stable than the traditional family I grew up in, with a long and nasty divorce ripping my family apart, honestly. Whatever, to each their own.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If they are doing it because they enjoy it then I think that's fine, as long as they are providing a healthy home life for the children and are available to them.

But, are they providing a healthy home life for the children? Do we know that this situation is healthy? Still haven't seen anyone here with information on a comprehensive survey of adults who grew up in that environment as children.

Now, my quote does not make sense without the next part in which I explain that I do not think they are providing a healthy home life for the children. On the one hand the children are not being abused and neglected (that was what I experienced growing up), but on the other hand they are raising them to think they need to do this for religious reasons, and I think that is harmful. Some of the kids seem well adjusted and have said they will not choose this. Others I'm not so sure about. Religious brain washing is more insidious than people realize.

We can't form an opinion of this practice by seeing only one family. Maybe this is a healthy family, but others not so much.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i have a sharing problem so i'm not into.
    & you know he has a favorite,and it's defanitly not the old one,its the new one..

and it's not fair! he can have all the wives/girlfriends he wants,but, the women cant have another man/husband! yeah the eff right,he needs to get some act right slapped into him! and those women are crazy for going along with it! hello, your husband is sleeping with different women everynight! & your letting him,congradulations,your winning!
  • wrentrotter
    Options

The thing I find disturbing is if they are doing it because they think they have to for religious reasons and to get into a good place in heaven. That's a dangerous motivation for so many reasons and ways that it could go wrong in a person's life (and a child's life) and the resentment it would lead to. And it's just my opinion, but I prefer to live my life for contributing to a good world here and now, not for some imagined life after this one.

This too
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's not silly at all.
    People say "If they have a loving couple as a roll model, that is good" this is so wrong. Having seen first hand successful and unsuccessful relationships of both homosexual and heterosexual people, it is so not the same. Growing up with a lesbian mom, I was at a complete loss on how boyfriends should treat me. I knew they had to be respectful.. but what exactly is that? Is there a line in the proverbial sand? Then, I didn't know what would be or should be expected from me. People, as adults, can easily say "if they're loving...." but when you're coming of age, it's confusing enough as it is.

So it's your lesbian mom's fault that you didn't know how to be treated in a relationship? Well, then, I it's my straight mom's fault for making me believe that a woman's role is to be treated like **** by their partner. I mean, she did stay with my alcoholic, cheating dad that treated her like she was a piece of crap 24/7 until a couple of years ago. Because of this, until recently, I've always assumed that the other person was supposed to mistreat me, abuse alcohol and drugs, and cheat on me constantly. Obviously, your logic is not sound. No matter your parents marital status or sexual orientation, they're going to eff you up. I'm beyond thankful for therapy. ;)
  • LMick1986
    Options
    SOOOO well said. Everyone can talk about "consenting adults" blah blah blah "not hurting anyone" blah blah blah, but... THE KIDS. No, these children will not grow up with the support and individual attention they need. It's not a healthy environment, nor good parenting AT ALL.

How do you think they are not getting the support they need as children....or individual attention? They have parents that are home all the time.....more parents than most people get, which I find to be amazing. Most kids can only wish they had parents home that often.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    I like the show & I think its great how they all care for each other and help one another-I am not here to judge, If it works for them, I am ok with it.
    mainly because guess what? I get judged for my relationship all the time. I can't even marry the woman I love. So basically their relationship does Not affect any of us so why would you even care.
    They are a very loving close family,where is the harm in that?
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    and exactly who are you judge them?

How do you think they are not getting the support they need as children....or individual attention? They have parents that are home all the time.....more parents than most people get, which I find to be amazing. Most kids can only wish they had parents home that often.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sorry but the research disagrees with you.

But unless you're willing to approach the subject with an open mind you won't ever see that.

Anyway. Wish I could give you some links but I do the majority of my research offline and honestly don't have any handy dandy links to back up my point so I'm willing to let it go. :)

Since the research is offline, please site your books, papers and studies so that our other classmates can research and education themselves on the subject. :)
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I love that show! I think it's fascinating. I've watched it from the beginning. Could never live that lifestyle though...
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You keep thinking that because there are more moms and kids around that the children get more individual attention. Try reading up on how some found the opposite to be true.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As a father I can't imagine ever being ok with this life style for my daughter. Plus how don’t you support your daughter’s choices about this life style? He isn’t a very good father.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have watched this show, and the very idea of sharing my husband makes my skin crawl. I don't say it's wrong, everyone has their own beliefs. But, as a show, it's like a trainwreck....I just can't help but watch. Just like the family with 50 kids...the Digglets or something......wtf
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have watched this show, and the very idea of sharing my husband makes my skin crawl. I don't say it's wrong, everyone has their own beliefs. But, as a show, it's like a trainwreck....I just can't help but watch. Just like the family with 50 kids...the Digglets or something......wtf

The Duggars would benefit from having a couple of extra moms/dads around.......I'm surprised no one has mentioned their family as harmful to children.....I guess it's because they're hetero......
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

lmao
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Never seen it, but I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Never seen it, but I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Headache is an understatement. I have 4 kids and go through all their names when I call them before I get the right one. With THAT many kids I'd forget what I was mad about by the time I got to the right name.