An observation about MFP posters...

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even the people who think they are the "innocent victims" can be just as ugly as anyone else with their comments. Just watch the comments that follow - people will come in here, and agree with you about all the "meanies", and turn around and throw around insults.

One of the biggest problems I have with people who complain about how bad things are, is that most of the time the examples they use about someone being mean or snarky just turn out to be about another poster who simply didn't agree with their comment. In the land of MFP, not agreeing makes you and a-hole, bully, snark, or meanie! Some people's kids! :grumble:

Yep. It's usually the "kind, supportive, caring folk" who run around reporting every thread and poster they don't like. If you say you really enjoy Thanksgiving one of those "kind, caring" people will report you because you don't understand how hard it is to try to control your eating. Yep. No lie.

The internet is like life. Not everyone is nice. But for some reason people expect the thousands and thousands of members here to all be their friends and love them.

Not once have I ever heard anyone walk into their office and proclaim, "You know.. not everyone here is a nice person!" Of course not, that would be crazy. But for some reason people expect it here.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    I just stay in the "Recipes" forums....never any meanness there..I guess because we are talking about FOOD all the time and food makes people warm and fuzzy :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I hope you realize that you just asked them to come introduce themselves.

:laugh: :love:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

I was waiting for you! :laugh:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Here we go again
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

:blushing:
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Not once have I ever heard anyone walk into their office and proclaim, "You know.. not everyone here is a nice person!" Of course not, that would be crazy. But for some reason people expect it here.

I must test this...
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Ha...I actually was expecting to see her post, and I'm not even friends with her! =p
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Here we go again

on our ownnnn
    goin down the only road we've ever knownnnnnnnnnnn
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options

I must test this...

Please report back...better yet. Youtube that awesomeness!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Perception is a *****.
    Remember that your present mental state impacts how you read things...
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You probably just missed those folks. I've been here for well over a year (new username) and I find the vast majority to be a lot of fun, motivational, inspirational and supportive!! there are a few out there, but thats in the real world too....Not everyone is nice all the time.

If you don't like what you read..... back out of the thread. Simple!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I must test this...

FOR SCIENCE!

Report back your results please. My hypothesis? You get pelted with wadded up paper.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even the people who think they are the "innocent victims" can be just as ugly as anyone else with their comments. Just watch the comments that follow - people will come in here, and agree with you about all the "meanies", and turn around and throw around insults.

One of the biggest problems I have with people who complain about how bad things are, is that most of the time the examples they use about someone being mean or snarky just turn out to be about another poster who simply didn't agree with their comment. In the land of MFP, not agreeing makes you and a-hole, bully, snark, or meanie! Some people's kids! :grumble:

Yep. It's usually the "kind, supportive, caring folk" who run around reporting every thread and poster they don't like. If you say you really enjoy Thanksgiving one of those "kind, caring" people will report you because you don't understand how hard it is to try to control your eating. Yep. No lie.

The internet is like life. Not everyone is nice. But for some reason people expect the thousands and thousands of members here to all be their friends and love them.

This exactly. It constantly amazes me that people seems to think that on the internet everyone should be hearts and flowers. If you dont like someone skip there post. If you dont like the topic in a thread dont read it .It s really very simple
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    Just break up.

Ha...I actually was expecting to see her post, and I'm not even friends with her! =p

Same here! lol
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of that too. I think there are 2 reasons for it:

1) People who are successful can start to think they know everything, and bash people who are going about it in a different way.
    2) A lot of people are insecure, and that can be transferred into happily anonymous snarky-ness.

I just take people's opinions with a grain of salt, and when I have a real question, turn to a professional. There are SO many great (And free) resources out there.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I must test this...

Please webcam and post on Youtube. Please.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I haven't particularly noticed an increase in disrespectful comments, but I have noticed more threads created to complain about them :flowerforyou:
  • _Elemenopee_
    Options
    Just break up.

:blushing:

Your reputation precedes you, my dear!