Thinking of going vegan

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto-pesca-carno vegetarian. To each his own.

Actually if you eat honey, you are a ovo-mella-lacto-pesca-carno vegetarian. :happy:
    I stand corrected. I do eat honey, and make mead too! :drinker:
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a year, vegetarian for about 6 years. I don't eat healthily (been trying lately though), vegans eat junk food too. If I want ice cream, I'll get vegan ice cream. The transition from eating meat to eating vegetarian was super easy, I didn't miss meat at all. But the transition from being vegetarian to vegan was ridiculously hard, but it's easier for me now. For thanksgiving I had tofurky, which was really really good. You'll have to learn to cook for yourself 90% of the time as most restaurants (well, where I live) AREN'T vegan friendly. I lost some weight doing this until my body "adjusted" I guess (to the junk food? ha). I don't regret this change because my skin cleared up, my doctor is no longer on my back about cholesterol etc, and I typically eat slightly healthier than an average person on my good days (no fast food).

I just need to stop with the vegan junk food, but other than that I enjoy being vegan. Get used to your friends and family picking on you, and just people in general online and stuff. Just to be clear, vegans don't eat dairy, eggs, animal fat, any animal product whatsoever (honey is still on the fence to some). I eat fruits, veggies, grains, beans, lenils and thinks like soy milk and tofu.

I don't get bothered anymore by the whole "we are meant to eat meat" argument. I simply don't care, I have my own opinions. Eating vegan makes me feel better. I do it for me, not anybody else. Do what makes you happy.
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am a part time vegan -- about 6 months of the year I am vegan, about 2 months ovo-lacto vegetarian and 4 months omnivore.

Veganism is great! No you don't need protein pills, with or without fish.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 2 years and gained 20lbs. yeah, 20lbs :( and most of my meals consisted of vegetables and beans and fruit and I exercised 5 times a week. my body didnt do well without meat. I recently found that I am allergic to eggs, dairy and wheat so removed those items from my diet. So, I tried vegan for about 2 weeks and thought I was going to pass out so I decided I needed to reintroduce meat. Since that, I have lost 20lbs in just over 2 months and feel great.
    if it is for weight loss reasons I do recommend removing dairy from your diet but not meat. if it is a moral thing, try switching to kosher, halal or grass feed, organic meats. I only eat those so I feel a little better about eating meat again.

Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am a part time vegan -- about 6 months of the year I am vegan, about 2 months ovo-lacto vegetarian and 4 months omnivore.

Any chance the six months each year you are not eating vegan affects your conclusion that you don't need to supplement protein (and presumably, that you don't need to supplement nutrients such as B12)? I suspect your experience of being a part-time vegan may differ slightly from that of a full-time vegan.
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Any chance the six months each year you are not eating vegan affects your conclusion that you don't need to supplement protein (and presumably, that you don't need to supplement nutrients such as B12)? I suspect your experience of being a part-time vegan may differ slightly from that of a full-time vegan.
    [/quote

Just so you know, the protein you get from eating animals, they get from eating plants..]
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Just so you know, the protein you get from eating animals, they get from eating plants..

Huh? Either you misunderstood my question or I misunderstood your answer...or both.

My point was, the experience of someone being vegan half of the time may differ from someone who is vegan all of the time in regard to the likelihood of chronic dietary deficiencies. Or at least I suspect that to be true.

As for your comment on how animals convert plant energy, yeah, that makes sense.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    i'd like to add that this is the best i've felt my whole life. this vegan diet might be laughed at by some but if i avoid the medical problems by elinating meat then maybe i'm ahead of the crowd on this one...

This is really it for me. People can say whatever they want, but within 2 weeks of going vegan I felt fantastic! I was still very overweight, but I started getting up every morning with a ton of energy. That energy lasts all day, there is literally no afternoon slump. I feel great, my skin looks awesome, and after almost 9 months my lab work is better than most people I know that are half my age. So I don't worry too much about the people that criticize the lifestyle, I just listen to my body, and I know that it likes it!!!
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.

People do this all the time with beliefs, religion, morals, expectations, etc. - it's called parenting.
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child. As for the Original OP, DON"T DO IT. We were made to hunt and eat meat. Forward facing eyes, to track and spot prey easier, ears on the side of the head to hear in a 360' area. Sharp front teet to tear and rip flesh, and we stand up right with opposable thumbs to hold weapons and tools. Contrary to the veggies here, it has noth to do with tradition, but it's the way we were made. No doc, trainer or dietician has ever said a vegan diet is better than an omnivorous diet.

Yes, because children are capable of making adult decisions. Great point. I'll remember that the next time my kids want Ramen noodles and Skittles for dinner.
    Ah, yes, but no one mentioned the age of the kids. I'm thinking 9,10,11. Who should know a little about healthy eating by then, sounds like you're talking 2,3,4, which deffinately need guidance. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.

People do this all the time with beliefs, religion, morals, expectations, etc. - it's called parenting.
    That's the type of parenting the mother did in the movie, "Carrie." Real parenting involves letting the children decide for themselves what kind of lifestyle they want to live, but to be there for them to steer them away from danger and to pick up the pieces when they get hurt. Real parenting isn't to force your views or beliefs on a child. As for the Original OP, DON"T DO IT. We were made to hunt and eat meat. Forward facing eyes, to track and spot prey easier, ears on the side of the head to hear in a 360' area. Sharp front teet to tear and rip flesh, and we stand up right with opposable thumbs to hold weapons and tools. Contrary to the veggies here, it has noth to do with tradition, but it's the way we were made. No doc, trainer or dietician has ever said a vegan diet is better than an omnivorous diet.

Yes, because children are capable of making adult decisions. Great point. I'll remember that the next time my kids want Ramen noodles and Skittles for dinner.
    Ah, yes, but no one mentioned the age of the kids. I'm thinking 9,10,11. Who should know a little about healthy eating by then, sounds like you're talking 2,3,4, which deffinately need guidance. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Do you know any 9-11 year olds? They might know a little about healthy eating, but they aren't at a point in their development when they can be responsible for their dietary choices.

Parents influence their children with their morals and beliefs - "forcing" their beliefs on a child would be if there was some sort of punishment involved with consuming animal products.

I implore you to research an animal-free diet a little more before you make sweeping generalizations about it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Do you know any 9-11 year olds? They might know a little about healthy eating, but they aren't at a point in their development when they can be responsible for their dietary choices.
    My oldest turned 9 yesterday. No damned way he's making all his own dietary choices. I've seen what he would choose. Let's just say I'm not worried he's going to eat too many veggies or too much meat.
  • mamatafari
    mamatafari Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Really? You have a problem because my children eat a very complex and nutritous diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, and nuts? Where is the problem?
    They start their day with fresh juice-usually kale, apple, carrot or beet/carrot/orange or apple. Then they have some oatmeal. Or coconut yogurt sprinkled with chia seeds or hemp seeds.
    Sound evil so far?
    They eat kale chips as a snack. Or rice cakes with peanut or almond or hazelnut butter. Or apple/veggie slices.
    For desserts we have raw cheesecake (that one won't put you 6 feet under unlike the dairy cheesecake), vegan brownies, raw date truffles (examples).
    They do all right. Plus, I run a vegan goodies/catering business.
    My children are RARELY sick. *Maybe* one cold a year.
    They have NEVER had anything like an ear infection (which are due to consumption of dairy).
    What do YOUR children eat?
    p.s. It's not like eating a vegan diet was just invented in the last 5 years. People all over the world eat like this. And have for hundreds and hundreds of years. Budhists, Jainists, Hindus, Rastas etc.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My experience of being vegan was that I started eating meat again.

hahaha
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Why?
    I see this thread has resurfaced. I've already responded to the OP so now I'll respond to you^ the question is not why the OP would want to go vegan it is why aren't you (and everyone else who consumes flesh) considering it? We have the resources to obtain all of our dietary needs on a plant-based diet and also end factory farmed animal suffering. so why wouldn't you choose the more compassionate option, why aren't you considering going veg?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why?
    I see this thread has resurfaced. I've already responded to the OP so now I'll respond to you^ the question is not why the OP would want to go vegan it is why aren't you (and everyone else who consumes flesh) considering it? We have the resources to obtain all of our dietary needs on a plant-based diet and also end factory farmed animal suffering. so why wouldn't you choose the more compassionate option, why aren't you considering going veg?

lolol - I am a vegetarian so please spare me.

The question was very valid as the reason could very well focus the advice. Someone doing it for 'health' reasons is very different than doing it for ethical reason.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I recently went vegan (except for some smoked turkey on Thanksgiving :blushing: ) and don't miss meat at all. I do miss eggs, but have found a lot of great recipes, so I'm having fun trying new things. I had been going vegetarian for a bit, but then saw "Forks Over Knives", and that convinced me to go full-vegan. I actually have a lot more energy now and feel much better. Give yourself about 6 weeks at it and see how you feel.
    This!

Try it for a while, there is no lifestyle commitment. I was an avid meat eater, and i tried it on a whim. Now, i have no plans to ever eat animals again. The way you feel is just amazing, you will never want to go back.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Yea, how dare she provide healthy food to growing children?
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I went vegan a couple of years ago for ethical reasons. It was a disaster, health-wise. I was fine for a long time, felt better in some ways at first, even.. then I crashed. Horrifically. Like, zombie bed-ridden completely unable to do anything, not even think clearly about anything at all, total and complete crash. I had a strong craving for red meat, rare and bloody during that crash (which I had not craved before while being vegan). I ate it, and I started getting better. If you can do it, more power to you. I think it can be dangerous long-term though.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you eat balanced (as you should with any diet or lifestyle) there is no 'health risk' from being vegan.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Yea, how dare she provide healthy food to growing children?

And not to mention, eating MEAT is a lifestyle choice as well. And in that case, how dare meat eaters force that lifestyle choice on their children.
This discussion has been closed.