Thinking of going vegan

Options

Replies

• amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did a thirty day "vegetarian challenge" I still ate dairy but cut out all meat including seafood. It wasn't that impossible, however I didn't notice any kind of "miracle healing" either. It's a personal choice, but since that is not what was asked at the beginning and I can't give any real advice on vegan eating, I would just recommend trying it out, maybe just try vegetarianism first.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    OMG. I am sorry but i didn't read all 6+ pages. I got as far as the OP. A friend that is vegan but eats fish? Really?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.
    Yea, how dare she provide healthy food to growing children?

Um, so feeding a child meat isn't forcing a lifestyle choice? Every diet is a lifestyle choice! So many people disagree on 'what we are supposed to eat', from gluten, diet coke, too much protein, too little protein, paleo, adkins, dairy...every food is up for debate. It isn't forcing anything. And yeah, it is none of your business what anyone decides to feed their children unless it could kill them, only then are you morally obligated to open your mouth.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    first off..if you only eat fish : pescetarian

I was vegetarian for about 5 years (still ate dairy and eggs) and went dropped the eggs and dairy (and processed foods) about 2 months ago and I have never felt better! I am NEVER hungry and I have been losing weight easier than on any other diet I have ever tried.

I am not 100% vegan as I have yet to remove all traces of animal products from my life...hardly about to sell my car before I can afford to because fo the leather trim type stuff. For me it was equally ethical and health reasons. I will not debate my feelings on eating sentient beings...but I will tell you that I do not miss meat at all, and the thought of it makes me a tad queasy now.

As for the business of raising children. When I went veggie 5 years ago, my then 6 yr old daughter, infant twins and husband were all omnivores. By the time she was 7, my daughter who is a state ranked competitive gymnast, had decided for herself that she would no longer eat meat. She is now 10 and still a vegetarian...and a fierce one at that. She wont touch soda, fast food, or junk food even when offered and would prefer a huge salad or some broccoli over greasy french fries. My husband watched Forks over knives, and saw how much healthier I have become and he too dropped the meat (and more weight faster than I ) My almost 5 yr old daughter, declared herself vegetarian about 6 months ago. Her twin brother still eats chicken, but his diet, like his sisters is largely plant based. I did not push them in any way..but I am darn proud of them for choosing the path they have. And I dare anyone to tell me my kids don't eat healthier diets than the average American child. I wish my parents had served me a more plant based diet as a kid and I had eaten as well as my kids do instead of things like bologna sandwiches on white bread every day...I probably wouldnt have the weight problems now as an adult had someone "forced" me to eat a more plant based diet as a child.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why?
    I see this thread has resurfaced. I've already responded to the OP so now I'll respond to you^ the question is not why the OP would want to go vegan it is why aren't you (and everyone else who consumes flesh) considering it? We have the resources to obtain all of our dietary needs on a plant-based diet and also end factory farmed animal suffering. so why wouldn't you choose the more compassionate option, why aren't you considering going veg?

I'm not considering going veg because I like to consume dead animal flesh.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I recently went vegan (except for some smoked turkey on Thanksgiving :blushing: ) and don't miss meat at all. I do miss eggs, but have found a lot of great recipes, so I'm having fun trying new things. I had been going vegetarian for a bit, but then saw "Forks Over Knives", and that convinced me to go full-vegan. I actually have a lot more energy now and feel much better. Give yourself about 6 weeks at it and see how you feel.
    This!

Try it for a while, there is no lifestyle commitment. I was an avid meat eater, and i tried it on a whim. Now, i have no plans to ever eat animals again. The way you feel is just amazing, you will never want to go back.
    I did. I ate no animal parts for 6 months about ten years ago. I was perfectly healthy during that time period. I wouldn't say I felt any more amazing than I did when I ate meat. I decided, fck it, I like eating dead animals. So I started eating them again.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This!

Try it for a while, there is no lifestyle commitment. I was an avid meat eater, and i tried it on a whim. Now, i have no plans to ever eat animals again. The way you feel is just amazing, you will never want to go back.
    I did. I ate no animal parts for 6 months about ten years ago. I was perfectly healthy during that time period. I wouldn't say I felt any more amazing than I did when I ate meat. I decided, fck it, I like eating dead animals. So I started eating them again.
    I commend you for giving it a try; that is very respectable that you have/had an open mind towards the subject. Aside from cutting out all animal products, i also cut out oils and processed foods, plus i eat mostly raw, and i make fresh veggie juices. I go for high nutrient density foods, and i think the nutrients have something to do with my super good feelings and ridiculously fast weight loss. I definitely notice a drop in mood if i go a day or two without green leafies or ripe raw fruit. The other part to the puzzle is the exercise. Cutting out the animal products alone made me feel pretty good, but learning to choose the right whole plant foods, and the right lifestyle helped boost it to the next level.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Our canine teeth are for tearing meat. Therefore, going vegan goes against nature.

/discussion
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vegetarian. It lasted 6 years, and it was awful. Of course, I was experiencing some mood instability because apparently the vegetarian lifestyle irritates my bipolar disorder. One day, I ate some chicken and noodles, and I never went back!

Some people are a bit too extreme on both sides. A woman came into our restaurant, hounding us about all of the ingredients in our food because she's vegan. She was also pregnant, seemed to be showing the symptoms of jaundice, and she really looked like a skeleton with a shrunken rubber suit fitted over it. It's not always the best choice.

Humans are animals. Animals eat animals. If it makes you feel better, a bear or mountain lion eats a hiker every once in awhile.
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian once it's a pretty irrational thing to do where do you draw the line keep in mind you're killing everything around you just by existing if you really care so much about other life give the plants your carbon
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian once it's a pretty irrational thing to do where do you draw the line keep in mind you're killing everything around you just by existing if you really care so much about other life give the plants your carbon

EVERYBODY draws moral lines on what they eat, not just vegetarians. For this reason (most) people don't eat their pets, or other people for that matter. It doesn't make ALL vegetarians irrational because you had trouble with the morality of choosing where to draw the lines. smh.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I recently went vegan (except for some smoked turkey on Thanksgiving :blushing: ) and don't miss meat at all. I do miss eggs, but have found a lot of great recipes, so I'm having fun trying new things. I had been going vegetarian for a bit, but then saw "Forks Over Knives", and that convinced me to go full-vegan. I actually have a lot more energy now and feel much better. Give yourself about 6 weeks at it and see how you feel.
    This!

I find it next to impossible to meet my protein requirements without eating meat......That said even if I could I probably wouldn't. Know what makes me feel just amazing? A nice sirloin/ribeye or grilled chicken breast.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Why?
    I see this thread has resurfaced. I've already responded to the OP so now I'll respond to you^ the question is not why the OP would want to go vegan it is why aren't you (and everyone else who consumes flesh) considering it? We have the resources to obtain all of our dietary needs on a plant-based diet and also end factory farmed animal suffering. so why wouldn't you choose the more compassionate option, why aren't you considering going veg?

I'm not considering going veg because I like to consume dead animal flesh.

Me too! Also, I think that when the animal suffers, the meat tastes sweeter.

That's disgusting.....I love meat.....but I would HATE to think of animals suffering and frankly try not to think of my meat being from living animals
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 10 years now. I have had 3 children since then (who are also vegan), nursed etc. through it all..

This makes me so angry. Why should you force a lifestyle on a child just because it's your personal choice. Gah.
    Yea, how dare she provide healthy food to growing children?

Um, so feeding a child meat isn't forcing a lifestyle choice? Every diet is a lifestyle choice! So many people disagree on 'what we are supposed to eat', from gluten, diet coke, too much protein, too little protein, paleo, adkins, dairy...every food is up for debate. It isn't forcing anything. And yeah, it is none of your business what anyone decides to feed their children unless it could kill them, only then are you morally obligated to open your mouth.

Word.

My son (age 5) is a vegetarian. I never exactly enforced it at daycare or preschool, but he's always known what meat *is.* He "does not eat dead animals." I'm FINE with that conviction, because "dead animals" are not an essential part of a nutritious diet. If he chose to "not eat vegetables" or "only eat candy" we'd have a different situation altogether.

Incidentally, I'm no longer vegetarian: I eat (some) seafood (I have some serious b-12 absorption problems due to a genetic digestive disorder that has nothing to do with this).

To the OP: if you're sincerely interested in vegetarianism/veganism, I'd suggest introducing more meat-free days into your diet several days per week. I used to be vegan (am no longer); I don't regret it because it forced me to expand my diet and variety of foods I'd try.

Regarding everyone else. . .hell, vegans get the reputation of being self-righteous, but you all take the cake. People here have a lot of serious misconceptions about health, life, the food chain, and the environment (not to mention "canine teeth"). I'm not necessarily a vegetarian/pescatarian because I'm worried about "killing animals" per se: the factory farming industry is cruel to both animals AND workers, destroys the planet, and, in short, the amount of grain it takes to feed animals used to produced meat could feed a lot more people than meat can. It's a serious food justice issue.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I decided to try being a vegetarian. I went cold turkey (heh...) - no waffling for me! Eventually, though, I just missed having the meat so much I had to go back.

To each his own, but that was the worst six hours of my life... :laugh:
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I went vegan a couple of years ago for ethical reasons. It was a disaster, health-wise. I was fine for a long time, felt better in some ways at first, even.. then I crashed. Horrifically. Like, zombie bed-ridden completely unable to do anything, not even think clearly about anything at all, total and complete crash. I had a strong craving for red meat, rare and bloody during that crash (which I had not craved before while being vegan). I ate it, and I started getting better. If you can do it, more power to you. I think it can be dangerous long-term though.

The same thing happened to me when I went vegetarian a couple of years ago. It was completely awful. Started eating red meat again and got better.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why?

Not to mention the human suffering and unfair, unsafe labor conditions at factory farms that put local small farms out of business so people can get cheap, unsanitary meat at WalMart (you get what you pay for). If nothing else, support your local small farms.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you have to take protein pills?

^^^want!!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    if you like meat so much, why go vegan?
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    and if your friend eats seafood, she is not a vegan. she is a pescatarian. vegans do not consume any animal products/byproducts or wear any animal products.
    i have been a vegetarian for 10 years, i do not take any kind of vitamins. i do use chocolate protein powder to make shakes every now and then, i eat a lot of beans, soy, eggs, etc.
    it was easy for me though, because eating flesh creeps me out.
    if you truly like meat, then it may be hard to stick with that lifestyle, you need to do it for the right reasons.
This discussion has been closed.