Show me ur heavy lifting results please!

Options

Replies

• xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sweet thread.

Glad I decided to pump iron and lift heavy.

Congrats to everyone who put in the hard work to see changes <3
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Amazing job everyone! This gives me inspiration to be more consistent with my lifting!
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <-- See pic.

I started lifting in March. I took off August to travel. Still going strong.
  • tabriz281
    Options
    Are there any 50 year old women willing to show before and afters for lifting?
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit lifting for one year.

P1030279800x572640x458400x286.jpg

The Mrs.

Kimback.jpg

That's incredible! Love that you both did it!
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What is the main culprit when you don't get these results? Heavy lifting 2x a week (on occassion 3x) Did my own thing for a while, then switched to New Rules for women routine beginning of Oct... and now on Stage 3.
    Too much cardio? Not eating enough? Not up'ing the weights fast enough (bf says I'm lifting too heavy)

Awesome job everyone... really wish I had some progress to show along side you all!!!

Are you eating right? How is your form? How heavy are you lifting? It's hard to know for sure without more detail.

This, and a lot of these results are over a longer time period than ~2 months. Are you taking progress photos?

During Stronglifts, I've been taking pics every two weeks. If I compare them side by side, there's barely any change, but comparing the first week to the most recent, there's improvement. But it's not the kind of change that's going to get oohs and ahhs.... I have to really LOOK for changes.

There is one year and a half between my 2 pics. It take patience and persistence

Yep all of this^.

In the beginning when I was losing weight pretty quickly. I was also getting some newbie gains and some swelling from water retention. I thought OH MY GAWD I am getting ripped. LOL You soon realize that that will not continue long and you just have stick to a program. Dont just fiddle around from one machine to the next and expect to see anything happen. You have to progressively get stronger. Sticking to whatever rep/set structure your program has you on. I used a bodybuilding program the vast majority of the last year which had my reps at 8-12. Once you can lift that weight for that amount of reps/sets its time to raise it. Wish I would have chosen a strength based program with lower rep ranges now but the results were still good. It was enough to promote muscle retention while in a moderate deficit.

Hitting your macro and nutrition goals is just as important. If you are in a deficit it should not be so large that you have no energy for the actual workouts. Dont over do the workouts either. More is not always better. 3-4 days a week depending on the program you choose is enough. If you choose to do cardio dont over do it.

I started this weight lifting idea back in March, I weighed 170 and I'm 5'7". I was doing my own workout using mostly free weights and a few machines. I was eating around 1500 cals. March-Aug... no weight loss, and not really seeing strenght improvement. In August I up'd my cals to 2000-2200 after reading up on the group eat more 2 weigh less.I also started more cardio and trained for a 10 mile run at the end of Oct. In those 3 months my weight got up to 183-185ish.

Oct I started the new rules for lifting program and Nov I lowered the cals to 1600-1800 since I was done training for the run and doing less cardio. All the while kept up with 2-3x a week weight lifgint.
    I'm keeping up with the protein as #1 priority... 40% is usually where I'm at. I've played with low carbs and higher carbs... maybe I didn't stick to 1 long enough, but didn't appear to make a difference.

How heavy am I lifing... example, bench press 35lb db, bent over row 60lbs, squat bar +60, lat pulldowns 70lbs. The new rules has each stage so far either 2-3 sets and reps in the 6-8 range. I see strenght improvement as I move through the stages... but still no weight loss, no inches lost and no pics showing anything good.

I'm concerned that somethings not right and I don't want to continue down the same path if its not working. I would expect something to have gotten better over this time. I realize many progress pics shown here are over a long period of time... but it's not like I just started a month ago either...

I hope this is some good add'l info that will get some suggestions! :)

I had my rmr tested and it's kinda low 1260... so that could explain why the weight gain when I was at 2000-2200... but should also mean that I should be losing now... and still not.

I was told during that test my body never went into fat burn which may explain the stregth gain, the inches gain and no weight loss...
    How do you get your body to start burning fat?
    Thanks everyone!!!
    Karla
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    <
    Main picture :) Didn't see the results I wanted until I started lifting heavy. I've only been liftng heavy since October but weight lifting since last May.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    tumblr_mekdjiCdDO1qffloyo1_r1_500.jpg

Gosh you were always a bombshell, great progress lady!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

you all look amazing
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Wow- so motivating and inspiring....everyone looks friggin amazing...I need a program for lifting...so strong lift is simpler than NROLFW? I just started to read the book yesterday....

The routine is. But the front part of New Rules is still a good read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow- so motivating and inspiring....everyone looks friggin amazing...I need a program for lifting...so strong lift is simpler than NROLFW? I just started to read the book yesterday....

NROL4W is not overly complicated.
  • ilovemyboysx3
    Options
    Bump...
  • jencjeffery
    jencjeffery Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I HATED weights but bought the NRoL book 'cos I saw so much about it on here and now I'm an addict. Nearly finished Stage 1 and am loving it!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Calorie deficit lifting for one year.

transformation160640x339600x318.jpg
    Weddingpics2.jpgP1030279800x572640x458400x286.jpg

The Mrs.

Kimbefore.jpg
    KimbackDBLBI.jpg
    Kimback.jpg

You both did an amazing job of transforming yourselves!! I especially love her back muscles :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm uncertain about the terminology here. What, exactly, is "heavy lifting"? Is it a specific type of weightlifting, or a particular weight lifting program? Or does it just refer to any type of exercise that involves using weights? People keep mentioning it on the site and I was wondering if there is any difference between "heavy lifting" and just weight-lifting.
  • SunnyBellaB
    Options
    Bump, great stuff here!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    beforeafterbooty.jpg

sssssss squats squats squats!

EDIT: This was a 1 year span

I'M DEFINITELY DOING MORE SQUATS!!!!!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    Great results, everybody!!!

I started at a little worse than this:

IMG_8937.jpg

I gained about 8-10 pounds between that photo (July 2010) and starting here in December 2010. Mercifully, there's no photos from other angles, although it would be fun for comparison's sake.

Lost weight doing mostly cardio and a little bit of body weight and 5 pound dumbbell circuit stuff. Started lifting heavier in July of 2011, but mostly used machines at the gym because it was Planet Fitness and their free weight selection sucked. In July of 2012, I quit the gym and got free weights for home. I putzed around for a couple months not following any program, then started Stronglifts in September. The last photos are at the end of week 10 last week.

IMG_1288-copy.jpg

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

IMG_1293-copy.jpg

And one more. Yay, squats!

IMG_3558-copy.jpg

FRIKKEN AWESOME....and a good way to show how FREE WEIGHTS are phenominal!
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm uncertain about the terminology here. What, exactly, is "heavy lifting"? Is it a specific type of weightlifting, or a particular weight lifting program? Or does it just refer to any type of exercise that involves using weights? People keep mentioning it on the site and I was wondering if there is any difference between "heavy lifting" and just weight-lifting.

To me, heavy lifting is the most I can handle. If I have a difficult time reaching between 8 and 10 reps in a set, I am lifting heavy relative to my own personal ability. If I am doing bench press and I work my way up to my one rep max and finish even more sets at a bit lower weight, I am lifting heavy. So if I am using a 30 pound barbell to work my biceps but the dude next to me is using a 90 pound one, I am still lifting heavy because I can manage what I am using.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

"Heavy" is different from person to person, but it's a weight that you're able to maintain good form, but still be challenged. And it should be progressive, too. IE, when I started Stronglifts in late September, I was squatting 45 pounds and that was heavy and challenging for me. Today, I did 147 pounds... about 100 pounds more than I started with, and THAT is heavy for me now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!