Show me ur heavy lifting results please!

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm uncertain about the terminology here. What, exactly, is "heavy lifting"? Is it a specific type of weightlifting, or a particular weight lifting program? Or does it just refer to any type of exercise that involves using weights? People keep mentioning it on the site and I was wondering if there is any difference between "heavy lifting" and just weight-lifting.

It's usually compound barbell movies including squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. Done as heavy as possible for 4-8 reps, adding weight as often as possible (while keeping good form). Machines don't produce the same results, neither does high rep, low weight work.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump, this is an awesome thread that i want to refer back to once i can get my *kitten* into the weights section and look into SL :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bodyfat-2.jpg

28-30% BF on left - 24% BF on right.

Took about 6 months, 3x week full body routine and I ate my TDEE daily.

Currently 21% BF and bounce between 148-150lbs. Still working 3x week lifting heavy but incorporating more HIIT style training.

I wanna be you! I've been stuck at 134-136lbs for weeks but I'm steadily dropping pants sizes...... so maybe I'm on my way?!!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    More or less correct. Usually its figuring out what the maximum weight you can handle is within the parameters of 2-3 sets and 6-8 reps. That can be a declining value, so first set at 8 reps, 2nd set at 6 and 3rd to failure (but probably less than 6), for instance. Really its just lifting to a lower rep count and higher weight value, so it is different than regular weightlifting where you may lift in the 10-15 rep range.

And yes lifting heavy is usually one of the best ways to start dropping weight. You will burn fat like few other exercises can do. Freeweights are key.
    This may seem like a silly question, but I'm uncertain about the terminology here. What, exactly, is "heavy lifting"? Is it a specific type of weightlifting, or a particular weight lifting program? Or does it just refer to any type of exercise that involves using weights? People keep mentioning it on the site and I was wondering if there is any difference between "heavy lifting" and just weight-lifting.

To me, heavy lifting is the most I can handle. If I have a difficult time reaching between 8 and 10 reps in a set, I am lifting heavy relative to my own personal ability. If I am doing bench press and I work my way up to my one rep max and finish even more sets at a bit lower weight, I am lifting heavy. So if I am using a 30 pound barbell to work my biceps but the dude next to me is using a 90 pound one, I am still lifting heavy because I can manage what I am using.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    beforeafterbooty.jpg

sssssss squats squats squats!

EDIT: This was a 1 year span

I'M DEFINITELY DOING MORE SQUATS!!!!!
    wow amazing you lifted the booty! looks great!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit lifting for one year.

transformation160640x339600x318.jpg
    Weddingpics2.jpgP1030279800x572640x458400x286.jpg

The Mrs.

Kimbefore.jpg
    KimbackDBLBI.jpg
    Kimback.jpg
    Holy SMOKES Great job you two.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    10312010.jpg
    img20120724170852.jpg
    88548413.jpg
    111111hx.jpg
    1111qm.jpg
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Excellent success stories!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    progress.jpg

2012: Jan 6 (5 1/2 months after baby), Feb 6 (6 1/2 months after baby), June 16 (11 months after baby).
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Agreed! I started with New Rules and found it to be boring and a bit overcomplicated as you go on. Switched to Strong Lifts, much more streamlined and to the point!

Is there a web site for Strong lifts?
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread
  • kcmo2528
    kcmo2528 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well done, everyone!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    progress.jpg

2012: Jan 6 (5 1/2 months after baby), Feb 6 (6 1/2 months after baby), June 16 (11 months after baby).

HOLY CRAP! HOW OFTEN DID YOU LIFT?? you look amazinng!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Agreed! I started with New Rules and found it to be boring and a bit overcomplicated as you go on. Switched to Strong Lifts, much more streamlined and to the point!

Is there a web site for Strong lifts?

Yes there is, of course they want you to buy stuff! I have learned some things there but have learned more from the group on here. Stronglifts 5x5 for Women.

NROL4W is a great read, don't get me wrong. I first got into lifting by reading The Female Body Breakthrough by Rachel Cosgrove (her husband is a co-author of NROL4W, which honestly is a bit of a re-hash of her book written a couple years before NROL4W) anyway all are great reads and you will learn a lot! Where I got bored with NR and FBB are later on in the programs, it started taking too much time to complete and a few moves that felt a bit more like gymnastics, imo. lol SL is very to the point and hits all the necessary movements! Good luck!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of lifting heavy for a while now, and this thread is great motivation!

I have a newbie question(s), though:
    How do you learn to do the lifts?
    Did you watch videos? Hire a trainer? Ask random people at the gym? Join a class?
    If you lift at home, did you start out in a gym first?
  • nass09
    nass09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone looks amazing!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You all look amazing and your results are extremely encouraging! Thanks for posting! Note to self - NEED to start lifting ASAP!
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    10312010.jpg
    img20120724170852.jpg
    88548413.jpg
    111111hx.jpg
    1111qm.jpg

Very impressive sir!
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    progress.jpg

You look great. Did you do any cardio, or just lift?
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!