When a Guy Says I Want a Woman That Takes Care of Her Body

Options
heagler870
heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
I want to know from a man's perspective what he means by this saying? I've been on a few dating sites, not recently but in the past, where a man will say in his profile " I want a woman that takes care of her body." The first thing I think about is that he wants someone that's physically fit. Am I right? Or is he specifically meaning hygienically or both? I would contact some of them that I thought were attractive and tell them about myself and a little about the journey I am on with weight loss and trying to become healthy and fit. I rarely got replies from any of them so I concluded that I just wasn't physically attractive enough for them. It kind of discourages me when I see guys that say this kind of stuff and won't give you a chance because you are overweight and on the track to changing it. And don't get me wrong, I UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYONE HAS PREFERENCES! I am not saying that these guys are shallow or rude for wanting something specific but it just discourages me when I'm not given a chance even though I am trying to change my health and become more physically fit. I said that I understand the preference, because I myself have a preference and it makes me feel somewhat hypocritical. I like a guy that takes pride in working out to be and stay healthy, I'm typically not attracted to guys that are overweight and don't make an effort to be healthy, but I won't always turn a guy down solely on physical looks, I will try and get to know someone before I completely say "Yeah, okay, no this isn't what I am looking for". Okay, I am not sure why I went on that tangent, I guess I am just wanting different guy's perspectives on the saying "I want a woman that takes care of her body" and if you are that type of guy that wants someone that's in shape and takes care of her body by cardio and weights, would you give a lady a chance knowing that she is legitimately trying to change herself?

Replies

• taekwonkenpo
    Options
    It means they want someone that they feel is hot. Generally speaking i would say that it is a nice way of saying they do care about looks.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    It's code for "hot" just like when women say they want a man "with goals in life" or who is "successful" they really just mean a man with money.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said.
  • Momowink
    Momowink Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's code for "hot" just like when women say they want a man "with goals in life" or who is "successful" they really just mean a man with money.

There are exception, though. I've always maintained that I wanted a man with goals in life, but that doesn't mean I want someone rich - I make my own money! In my case at least, I prefer someone who is actively working towards a goal, or is trying, rather than happy with doing/being nothing in particular.

So don't give up the ghost, OP!
  • themightylewry
    Options
    I personally don't think it is necessarily the case that they are saying "hot", don't get me wrong there is quite a possibility that is what they mean, but may not be the whole story. In my opinion It could mean a number of things:
    1 - weights and cardio to stay fit.
    2 - nutrition - (so there wont be the tendency to sit on the couch in the evenings stuffing your face and watching the TV)
    3 - "Hot" - however this is massively subjective.
    4 - Active - not in the gym sense but has the drive to be out doors.

If people are not willing to give you a chance to look into who you actually are and not define you by physical attributes, do you really want them in your life anyway??
  • heagler870
    Options
    I want to know from a man's perspective what he means by this saying? I've been on a few dating sites, not recently but in the past, where a man will say in his profile " I want a woman that takes care of her body." The first thing I think about is that he wants someone that's physically fit. Am I right? Or is he specifically meaning hygienically or both? I would contact some of them that I thought were attractive and tell them about myself and a little about the journey I am on with weight loss and trying to become healthy and fit. I rarely got replies from any of them so I concluded that I just wasn't physically attractive enough for them. It kind of discourages me when I see guys that say this kind of stuff and won't give you a chance because you are overweight and on the track to changing it. And don't get me wrong, I UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYONE HAS PREFERENCES! I am not saying that these guys are shallow or rude for wanting something specific but it just discourages me when I'm not given a chance even though I am trying to change my health and become more physically fit. I said that I understand the preference, because I myself have a preference and it makes me feel somewhat hypocritical. I like a guy that takes pride in working out to be and stay healthy, I'm typically not attracted to guys that are overweight and don't make an effort to be healthy, but I won't always turn a guy down solely on physical looks, I will try and get to know someone before I completely say "Yeah, okay, no this isn't what I am looking for". Okay, I am not sure why I went on that tangent, I guess I am just wanting different guy's perspectives on the saying "I want a woman that takes care of her body" and if you are that type of guy that wants someone that's in shape and takes care of her body by cardio and weights, would you give a lady a chance knowing that she is legitimately trying to change herself?

They are shallow men who just want one thing from a woman. That simple. Of course i like hot women, but the body to me isn't that important.

My friend on the other hand all he talks about is body, he doesn't care about what the face looks like. I am a face person. You know what else he talks about non stop? Sex and booty. So annoying.

Well, I don't necessarily think they are all completely shallow. I guess that when I hear " I want a woman that takes care of her body" I think to myself "Well, I take care of my body. I exercise often, try to eat the right foods, I shower every day, sometimes twice a day and I always smell good." To me that is taking care of my body.

Well, I guess I never compared it to women saying they want a man with life goals. I guess the two could be comparable.

I don't think it's completely shallow to want someone that physically takes care of their body because it is a preference. But not giving someone a chance that is actively trying to get in shape and change their life, to me that is shallow. I can understand not giving someone a chance because they don't even want to try and change their health. I can also see wanting that other person to be fit so they can have the same active lifestyle. I am looking to get back into the dating scene and would like if I could find someone that I could be active with, I just don't want to get shot down because I am still big and don't want them to think I am lazy because I am still fat.

On the other hand I believe those that are always talking about how good they look or taking stomach shot photos are pretty shallow. I said that I do prefer someone that is physically fit but won't always turn down based on that, the face for me is a big factor as well. I may sound shallow because I do prefer someone that is physically attractive based on the body and face but I have also been attracted to men that wouldn't typically be seen as "hot". A good personality and the ability to make me laugh trumps a good body and hot face. I once met this guy who I thought I would never give a chance because I wasn't physically attracted to him and then we started talking, his personality hooked me and he was ten times more attractive because he was an awesome person.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    They are shallow men who just want one thing from a woman. That simple.

That's a ridiculous generalization.
    f course i like hot women, but the body to me isn't that important.

My friend on the other hand all he talks about is body, he doesn't care about what the face looks like. I am a face person.

So being into bodies is shallow but being into faces is not shallow.

It's more the attitude aspect. If a women takes care of her self, has the self determination to work out each week and takes pride in her appearance that is a sexy attitude IMO. thats the sort of person I would want to spend my time with.

If you're an active guy and love to work out 4-5 times a week it's unlikely you are going to be compatible with someone who would rather sit in all day and eat junk food on the coach. If that makes me shallow then so be it, IDGAF.
  • emilynw10
    Options
    I'm not a man, but if I were to say, "I want a man who takes care of his body", I would mean someone who is at least moderately interested in what they eat, isn't sedentary, is concerned about personal hygiene, and dresses reasonably well (ie - doesn't wear pj's and sweats all the time). Someone who cares about making themself presentable.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

My friend on the other hand all he talks about is body, he doesn't care about what the face looks like. I am a face person.

It's more the attitude aspect. If a women takes care of her self, has the self determination to work out each week and takes pride in her appearance that is a sexy attitude IMO. thats the sort of person I would want to spend my time with.

If you're an active guy and love to work out 4-5 times a week it's unlikely you are going to be compatible with someone who would rather sit in all day and eat junk food on the coach. If that makes me shallow then so be it, IDGAF.
    This man knows what he is talking about. Especially when being in contest prep. Having someone who understands what you're going through is a great help.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of the fence and since I now live an active lifestyle I prefer to be with a woman who takes care of herself physically. We all have preferences and should pursue the type of person that makes us happy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    To me that means someone who is physically fit and healthy, though not necessarily athletic, and that presents themselves well the majority of the time - being clean and tidy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    guys dont want to know about your weight loss journey... thats why you dont get replies...
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a Guy. It doesn't generally mean that he wants someone who is hot....well we all want someone who we deem as hot. But I believe they just want someone who isn't a lazy slob. Someone who is active, obviously works out, dresses well / right for their body. It doesn't necessarily mean they want someone who is thin / skinny. There are a lot of thin skinny people who are slobs and lazy. If the person is an active person I am pretty sure they are looking for the same thing.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It means you'll go to the gym with me.
  • heagler870
    Options

I agree with you. I don't necessarily think wanting someone that specifically takes care of the body in the way of staying in shape. I think that is a personal preference. I think it's shallow when someone won't give the person a chance if they are legitimately making an effort to change their lifestyle. When I first started I wouldn't have had not one thing in common with a guy that likes to exercise and lift weights but at this point I would have something in common with that type of guy, it just may look like that I wouldn't because I am still bigger. I enjoy exercising and I love that "high" feeling after an intense exercise session. I also like lifting weights (Mostly arm weights at the moment) because I know almost nothing about lifting, or rather what I should be lifting. I really want to join CrossFit after I lose 32 more pounds. I guess it just kind of bothers me that I'm written off because I am still fat even though I exercise daily and am making a conscious effort to get in shape, become healthy, and lose the rest of this fat. I have an okay personality and my face isn't ugly, at least I don't think so. I just hate that I'm often not given a chance because I am still big. Like I said, I do have a specific personal preference when it comes to men, but I will always try to get to know someone before I write them off as someone I don't want to date or potentially be with.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

There are exception, though. I've always maintained that I wanted a man with goals in life, but that doesn't mean I want someone rich - I make my own money! In my case at least, I prefer someone who is actively working towards a goal, or is trying, rather than happy with doing/being nothing in particular.

So don't give up the ghost, OP!

AH, but you're a woman. When we say "goals" we mean a job! :laugh:
  • heagler870
    Options
    guys dont want to know about your weight loss journey... thats why you dont get replies...

Maybe not, but if on a dating site I have to tell them about myself that's what I do, and that includes what I've done to change who I am. If someone doesn't want to know about me and my accomplishments then they are not someone I want to be with in the long run. Seems to me that you'd want to know about someone and things that they've done when getting to know someone, unless of course you are just looking for a hook up or something similar.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm probably overly cynical but I always read that as "shaves EVERYWHERE except eyebrows and scalp"

basically, they want a sex-kitten and they don't particularly care if said kitten is eating right or excercising, they'd actually rather not hear about that stuff.

ít's a generalization and I'm sure there's guys out there who are genuinely interested in the workout/eating/maintenance patterns of their (potential) girlfriends, but in my experience those guys will probably not put something like "takes care of their body" in writing.
  • 89daysonly
    Options
    I think you are pretty Maybe you tried "wrong sites". I was once explained that a woman who takes care of herself is a fit woman with good hair/skin/nails. It means she is healthy, she is not an emotional eater-most likely emotionally stable. She is strong enaugh and has good will of power to exercise and eat healthy.