• Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It sucks because I weigh about 155
  • Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    <
    BMI says I am over weight... Never go by bmi :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the individual. I started MFP at a size 10. I am now a size 8. I'm 36 yrs old. I'm 5'4 and my goal weight is between 120 and 125. For me personally a size 12 would be too big. But for a person who started at a 16 or 18, a size 12 would be awesome, a great accomplishment.
    Yes this^
    It all depends on the person, their build, height etc. A 12 would be quite large for me, but it also depends on what you are talking about (pants or dresses). This might sound small but anything larger than a 4 in dresses makes me too big but I can wear bigger pants like a 6 (or 7 juniors). I am small framed with very little waist definition and my body prefers to be on the thinner side. And genetically, I was not blessed with one of those bodies that looks good with any extra weight. In fact, it is very unhealthy for me to carry any extra weight (because it ends up on my stomach = greater chance of heart disease).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    <
    BMI says I am over weight... Never go by bmi :)
    You are an extremely unusual case.
  • aussiestargazer
    aussiestargazer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It is all so relative - I am bragging right now about being able to wear size 18 and would be rapt to get into a size 14 but it all depends on height and proportions! When I am comfortable with my weight and as long as people don't tell me I look scrawny - it won't matter what size I am - I am just so thankful to be able to buy clothes at most normal shops. Some shops still sell size 18's which are really only size 14 and this makes people think they are fat when they aren't - standardization of clothes sizing would be an amazingly good thing!
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well I started around a size 14 and now I'm a size 2. Just for my body structure, a size 12 wasn't a good thing. But I have friends who are very healthy and their jean size is around that. So really, as posted before, I think it's about your body type and what fits you; what you're comfortable with.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It depends on factors. A size 12 on me was still fat and overweight. I'm 5'5 and I only wore like stretchy pants in between beginning & size 8, cuz size 8 was my lowest size b4 now (I'm a 5/6, almost a 3/4). But I got in a size 8 at in the upper/mid 140s. 156+ was overweight territory for me, so it's safe to say tht wasn't a good size for me. I also have a really small frame. Everyone is different.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 too! Hooray us! I started out in 18/20 so I am thrilled to be in a 12. However, I still have 18lbs. to go to be in a "healthy" weight range according to the bmi charts. Although I am pretty happy with where I'm at. This is the first time I have ever been able to say that in my entire adult life! =)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think US size 12 is UK size 14 and I recall reading that's an average size for women, so not fat!

Size is dependent on body shape and the fit of the clothes, I think. I am 139lbs and 5ft 2 and can squeeze (just!) into a UK size 8, US size 6......however, I have friends that weigh the same, look slimmer, are taller and yet can't fit into that size. We're all shapes and sizes and as long as we are comfortable and confident in our clothes, we are all equally as beautiful and sexy!

Despite the size I fit into I am still classed as 'overweight' for my height and my BMI is only just hitting the healthy range. I try not to sweat it, I don't worry too much about the scales or the way my clothes fit......I focus on trying to keep my diet clean, focus on gettting fitter and healthier than I ever have been in my life and focus on living!

You're doing great, you're achieving results and that's the most important thing!
  • lindseynyfarmer
    Options
    I started at a VERY tight 18/20. My first goal was to be under 200 lbs and in a size 12(Im 5'7!). Now that im a size 10, I still feel like i have a ways to go before ill be comfortable with my weight. I think its all about how you feel.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Depends on all kinds of things. For me, I was a size 12 and 180+ pounds at 5'4", and that was the heaviest I ever was. A size 12 is huge for my body type. But for someone taller with a bigger frame, it's a perfectly good size. And, sizes are ridiculous to begin with. I can currently wear a junior's size 1 or 5 from the same store, just depends on the type of pant I get.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you look and feel.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    A size 12 is my goal!
    I'm 5'7" and currently a 16, I have wide hips and I know realistically, too much smaller than a 12 just won't happen for me. And I'm absolutely fine with that! Everyone's body is set up differently, it depends on how tall you are, and your bone structure.

I aspire to have the body type of like America Fererra and Sara Ramirez, and even Christina Hendricks is a size 12. Healthy, toned, no excess chub, but still able to walk into any store in the mall and fit in everything they have. Right now, I'm *just* outside being able to do that, and it's so annoying!
  • erikarois
    Options
    i just want to start out by saying all of you have done an amazing job! keep up the great work!
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree, everyone has done fantastic!

While at my goal weight, I was a size 10. I am 5'1 with wide hips and bigger thighs. My waist is a solid size smaller than my hips and thighs! Always have to wear belts! LOL Working my way back down to a 10 or 12. Would be happy in a size 12, happier in a 10. :)
  • uhmmyess
    Options
    Size 12 is a great goal to have. If you start out with a bigger size, getting to a lower size is a huge accomplishment! Don't compare yourself to people who start out at a size 12, since your goals are different.

Size 12 isn't even considered "plus size," so that's great. :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Thought this thread was dead. Numbers on the label don't mean anything. This past week I found a pair of 13 skinny jeans that I actually got on and buttoned. Woo Hoo!
    To put that in perspective, I still weigh 197 pounds with 41 inch hips and waist, so there was quite the muffin top hanging over the jeans.

So I do NOT claim to be a size 13, even tho I managed to get my fat self stuffed in them.
    I did however buy them, and they are now hanging on my armoire as my next 'motivation' pants.

I do now fit fairly comfy (no muffin, yay!) in the size 16 skinny jeans that were previously hanging on my armoire. But I am still in the Obese category for another 8-10 pounds.

BF% is a much better indicator of health than the number on your jeans label. Whatever that number may be.
  • smhaze77
    smhaze77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I’m currently a comfortable size 12. I started at a snug 20. I've tried on 10’s and can get them buttoned but they dig into my hip bones. I am 5’ 10" and currently 2.5 lbs away from a "healthy" BMI. I have a friend who is also 5’10" she weighs 15lbs less than me and can fit into a size 4. So I'm pretty sure its all about height, bone structure, body type etc. :-)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think it is all about being happy with yourself!!! :)
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It is definitely a height and weight thing. I started at size 12 and needed to lose 40+ pounds from there, but I am only 5' 2". I look much better in a size 6/8. It is your own choices and personal issues that make the size what is fitting to you. :)