Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I'm a 10-12 and I still feel, and am fat. I think it depends on the individual and their body, really. When I was a size 10, I was really slim and had a flat stomach, but nice wide hips and a teeny waist. I'm shooting for that again, 10-12 was my goal, but now I'm thinking 8-10.

I'm talking about UK sizes, by the way.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    A size 12 50 years ago is more like a 6 or small 8 now. It's most certainly not the same. Today's size 12 would have been plus sizes 50 years ago.

Well that's something I wasn't totally aware of, I guess I never was told that part of 'size' history... I had no idea it was such a big difference!

It's all about how you see yourself, if you love yourself wholly, are healthy and your completely comfortable in your own skin then your in a good place.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Average american woman is a size 14 .. so I think you're skinny!!!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. If you are personally comfortable at that size, and healthy, then stick to it!
  • cuervoviviana1
    Options
    i wish i was a size 12..... i m 5'7 to 5'8 in height and when i was a size 12 i looked good as hell..... i was not to fat or to skinny . i believe i was just right.... that was the size i was most comfortable in
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    uk or us ?

I'm a UK 12 which according to wiki means US8 for me personally its big (don't forget we'd have different average sizes and I'd be a different body shape)
    US12 is a UK16 again wiki....but I don't consider that fat depending on height build etc, my aunt looks great size 16, I looked like a huge lump
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    50 years ago that would have been an average and healthy size to wear. But with the way skinny is sensationalized it has become the 'fat' pants. I fit in a size 10/12 and I get a lot of compliments on how good I look so in my opinion... certainly a fine size.

That's because size 12 fifty years ago was about a 4 or 6 in today's sizes.

Look back at photos of women in your family from that era, or even just random photos online. Look at the actresses back then. They had curvier figures (hourglass shaped) but they were NOT a modern size 12. Not at all.

People have a very skewed idea of what a "healthy" weight is these days. Saying a size 14 is "average," so a 12 is skinny is ridiculous. Size 14, in the majority of cases, is overweight. Average just means it's in the middle of what women in general wear. It does NOT MEAN HEALTHY.

I had a BMI of 29.4 when I was in a size 12. I was not a healthy weight. I was bordering on obese. And I looked it.

I'm an 8 now and definitely have plenty of fat to lose.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    As others said, it completely depends on the person. Bone structure, height, muscle mass. Also on the designers. Vanity size 12 is not the same as a real size 12, which is still not the same as a size 12 from years or decades ago.

I am fat in a 12. No way around it, I am over by the high end of the BMI chart recommendation and way over what I really should weigh.

I am fat in a 10.

I am fat in a 9.

I am chubby in an 8.

It isn't until I'm back in the 5s and 6s that I'm a proper weight again. But I am short and very small boned. My tall sister is at a perfect weight anywhere from size 8-10.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    50 years ago that would have been an average and healthy size to wear. But with the way skinny is sensationalized it has become the 'fat' pants. I fit in a size 10/12 and I get a lot of compliments on how good I look so in my opinion... certainly a fine size.

That's because size 12 fifty years ago was about a 4 or 6 in today's sizes.

Look back at photos of women in your family from that era, or even just random photos online. Look at the actresses back then. They had curvier figures (hourglass shaped) but they were NOT a modern size 12. Not at all.

People have a very skewed idea of what a "healthy" weight is these days. Saying a size 14 is "average," so a 12 is skinny is ridiculous. Size 14, in the majority of cases, is overweight. Average just means it's in the middle of what women in general wear. It does NOT MEAN HEALTHY.

I had a BMI of 29.4 when I was in a size 12. I was not a healthy weight. I was bordering on obese. And I looked it.

I'm an 8 now and definitely have plenty of fat to lose.

I liiiiiiiike you. :)
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    A size 12 50 years ago is more like a 6 or small 8 now. It's most certainly not the same. Today's size 12 would have been plus sizes 50 years ago.

Well that's something I wasn't totally aware of, I guess I never was told that part of 'size' history... I had no idea it was such a big difference!

It's all about how you see yourself, if you love yourself wholly, are healthy and your completely comfortable in your own skin then your in a good place.

I completely and totally agree :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5 1/2" and was in the overweight category BMI at size 12, and I looked and felt overweight.

I "look" the best between a size 6-8. Not vanity sized either. A real 6-8 lol.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm size 8-10 US and I think it's too fat for me.
    I need my 2-4 back...
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm 25 pounds from my goal and am still in a 16. Sooo yeah, I would LOVE to be in a 12.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I think it depends on the person
  • Reyreygirl
    Reyreygirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5'4 shooting to be in a 12, I started at a 24 and now i'm a 14 and I love it. I think society and your dr will tell you you're still overweight but I think a 12 is great!!:bigsmile:
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I could only wish to be a size 12. To someone like me who started out at 300 lbs, size 12 is tiny. To my boss, I'm sure size 12 looks like a blimp wears it. It's all perception.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    either way it's probably a healthy size, but the very top of that if you're talking US size 12. because us size 14 (1 size higher) is plus size even though with vanity sizing a lot of people now carry it as a regular size. if you're talking uk size 12 that's a perfectly wonderful size.
    It really depends, I would personally say go lower because it's not unhealthy too and that way if you gain some weight back (most people do) you will still be at a good size, just 1 size lower (10) would be great I think
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Normal size does not equal healthy size.

For most I'd say 12 is still overweight. I'm 5'4, barely in the healthy weight range and a size 8-10. Even though I'm fine with how I look, I still have weight to lose before I'd classify myself as thin.
  • Moofey2
    Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love my *kitten* and it has stayed a size 9-12 for the last 3 years and I do not think it is changing its ways anytime soon. I am 5'1 as well, I have a large chest area too haha.
  • suzanzale
    suzanzale Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually think I would be too fat if I wore a size 12. I am 5'5" and wear a size 8 in jeans and I weigh 155 pounds which is just one
    point above the 25 mark for BMI. I am trying to lose to 135.