Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am currently a size 14, and would like to get down to a 10, but when I was in 12s, I looked pretty good. I got lots of compliments anyway. I did a lot of gymnastics, softball, and other sports through the years though, so I have really muscular legs and thick thighs.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm 5'2" a size 10/12 and I'm obese for my height. It really just depends. Some women look amazing at that size and some look horrible. Everyone is different.

^ I second this
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    You decide where u wanna be.
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    Also depends on what country you are in, In New Zealand size 12 is definitely not considered fat but I am aware that our sizing starts with higher numbers than for example American sizes. The lowest ours go for adults is an 8 and for teens 6
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Height and build play a huge part in this issue. I see no problem as a 12 as it is where I was for quite some time (I'm 5'9") and was very comfy in it...but I had a lot of muscle too at the time.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" a size 10/12 and I'm obese for my height. It really just depends. Some women look amazing at that size and some look horrible. Everyone is different.

^ This.

I am 5'3"
    Currently 175.5
    Wearing snug size 12.

There are some women with the EXACT SAME stats wearing a 10 or less.

I think the sizes are different now anyways, due to vanity sizing... because when I was in college (about 15 years ago) I was 165 after losing 30 pounds and wearing a size 14. I remember them being snug, too. So I'm not sure sizes are the same as they used to be. I think that a 12 is really what a 14 USED to be... if that makes sense.

Having said all that. I think going down a size or more is GREAT and HUGE no matter if it's from a 20 to an 18, a 14 to a 12, or an 8 to a 6. Everyone here knows that you had to WORK HARD to accomplish a SMALLER SIZE. And as some would say, "you're lapping everyone on the couch." Hahaha.

GREAT JOB OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dlrosen
    dlrosen Posts: 51
    Options
    Depends a lot on the body type, etc. But I generally cosider a size 12 a good size to be at.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i started mfp blowin outta size 18 and now my size 14's are gettin looser.. so i'm almost in a size 12! but im about 30 pounds from my goal wt.. so just depends too.. i lost a lot of INCHES cuz of how i workout (weights/strenght training) most peeps 5'4" and 194#'s arent nearing a size 12!! all depends on how you loose wt also.. but my goal wt is 165 so im assuming I will be like a size 10 or so.. but its a personal goal what you want to be.. diff peeps look and feel diff ... and can both be in a size 12.. if that makes sense... but no a size 12 isnt 'fat' by any means.. shoot marilyn monroe was a 12!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I'm 5ft10 and I was a size 26 (UK) at my biggest and back then my dream size was a UK 14. i got there and was over the moon and i felt so skinny but after 5 years it suddenly didnt seem so skinny after all. I dieted down to a size 12 in Oct 2012 and thought that was great too but suddenly that didnt seem so skinny either. Im currently size 10-12 and looking to lose another stone as i still feel chunky. I have a 25 1/2 in waist which seems skinny but my weight is all in my legs and bum which look huge by comparison. You never know how youre going to feel until you actually ARE a particular size and everyone is different
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    size 12 is beautiful, size 26 is as well. It's all how you view yourself, not how others view you.
    When you're happy that's all that matters!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm in a US 12 now too in pants and large top.

<<<I took the pic that is my profile pic in a dressing room this weekend. I'm 5'6". I still want to lose another 30 pounds or so; people are telling me I look great. I have broad shoulders and a fairly large chest; don't know much about "frame" size but I would just say, it looks different on everyone depending on height, boobs, etc.
  • orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before and got down to a 12. I hope to be there again. I was happy there I don't know if I want to go smaller than that. I have been under weight before and I will never go there again.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want to be in single digit sizes, hopefully size 6, but at 5'8 and 128lbs I was still struggling to fit some size 12s. That was also with regular weight training. My waist was under 25 ins. I just don't get it.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I think it depends on how you feel it your jeans. I'm in a size 10, but I'm not comfortable with how my body looks. I don't have a set pants size in mind.

If you feel good and you are confident in what you are wearing then the size number shouldn't make a difference.
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    In high school and the military, I wore a size 14 pant. When I fought at nationals for TKD (Tae Kwon Do), I was a size 14 pant. The point being is that when I was in the military and training for national competitions for TKD, I was the same dress size as when I was in high school on the chess and latin clubs. I didn't do sports until after I was out of high school, however there was no change between no exercise and training 7 days a week.

If you feel great in a size 12, then to hell with what other people are trying to do. I currently wear between a 22 and 26, however I am more fit than most of these darn little skinny chicks. I am holding on to weight as if I am preparing for a great famine or something. Hopefully it will eventually decide to start coming off, however my focus is to be healthy. While I have not lost any weight, I feel great, and I hope you will as well, no matter what dress size you are.

As a side note, size 12 is a sexy size. You have curves and are voluptuous. :drinker: Go out and get some sexy clothes, and celebrate responsibly.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's relative. Body shapes and sizes are different. I can wear size smalls/mediums, but a guy that's like 20-30 lbs lighter than me wears a medium/large
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    these days a size 12 is considered fat, Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 and her body type was considered ideal at the time.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I think it largely depends on your build. I'm a size 11. I certainly am not fat. But I'm built VERY broadly.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a size 0 and look awesome (toned, abs, etc.) and my mother STILL calls me fat. She's overweight and pushing obese. Go figure.

It's all relative. I've seen people look fantastic at a size 10-12 and look chubby at a size 2. Depends on body composition.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just got down to a size 12 in jeans (woo hoo!), and I notice it's the controversial in-between size here. Some people are trying to get down to that number, and others have started at that number and are trying to get lower.

Do you see size 12 as a good size to shoot for or be, or do you think it implies you're still considerably overweight and have more work to do?
    I would worry less about what society considers fat because society sucks, and more about how you feel about yourself personally.