Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• inkmonster
    Options
    im 5"1 and at around 135 lbs. half way to my goal, my size has barely moved after losing 30 lbs. i started at a size 12 and now its a loose 12, iv lost inches everywhere except for my hips and butt. im guessing it just depends on the person, i have big hips as it is so maybe thats why i havent lost a size but still a lot of meat on that area. depends on your frame
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    hell no. i'd love to be a 12, would never want to be a size 8. I like my curves when they come out of hiding. 12 is awesome

I don't think this is necessarily accurate... a lot depends on how people's bodies are built. I am in a 6 now but still consider myself to be pretty curvy... actually, losing weight in my mid-section has helped me to become MORE curvy, since I now have a more clear difference between my hip and waist sizes.

... Editing to add that I am 5'3".. I think height has a lot to do with it.

So, to the original poster... it depends :)
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Size 12 is the smallest I've ever been in my adult life, and that was fairly close to my goal weight. I don't imagine I could ever be smaller than a size 10, but I'm pretty tall (5'11'') with a fairly large frame. It all just depends on the individual's height and body shape!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    To me, size 12 was not fat, but just not enough weight off my body to be happy.

I am very small on top, (small boobs, small waist, small shoulders) and to have a gigantic bum, thighs and belly to me, was unappealing. As I continue to lose weight I can see where I'm slimming down, in my hips and belly, and butt is tighter and higher up. I don't mind as much about my thighs.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Two points I wanted to mention before I answer: (1) I believe the average pant size for American women is size 12, but I heard that in 2010, and it may have gone up. (2) Size 6 models are considered "plus size" and I think that's ridiculous, because you'd have to be pretty short and narrow to be overweight at a size 6.

My highest weight was 207, and at that point, I was wearing size 16 pants. I lost 35 pounds, and got my butt into some size 12's comfortably, even down to a size 10 for, like, three weeks. I was ABSOLUTELY THRILLED about that -- but I'm only 5'2", and even at size 10 (which was about 175 pounds), that's still about 40 pounds overweight. Of course, I have a wider frame than my mother, who is the same height. Mom can wear a size 4 or 6 and just look petite. If I got down to her 112ish pounds, I'd probably look dangerously under-fed. (I don't want to be that thin, anyway; I think a little weight looks good on a person with my body type.)

Long story short, size 12 is not necessarily "fat." It may still be chunky if you're as short as I am. At the same time, it can be a huge improvement or milestone from someone who's coming down from a larger size. If you're a tall person, then it may even be thin. It depends on the person, body type, etc. Not a huge help, I know, but I think size 12 is fine. It's where I am now, and I'm pretty happy. I just happen to have a lower goal.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    It depends on the person. Every one carries the weight different. A more hippy or tall gal might fit into a 12 with more grace than a 5'4 girl. I personally, was still pretty overweight in a size 12 and a size 8.
  • mrsricta
    Options
    I think it's insane to decide a person is or is not "fat" based on their clothing size!!! The size of a person's clothing depends on a lot of different factors! There are people who appear to be extremely skinny and yet wear a larger size than you would ever guess and there are people who appear extremely overweight yet wear a much smaller size than you may think. I say, whatever size clothing actually FITS and FLATTERS that's the size you should be wearing! Make your goals about how you feel and how you are happy looking not about what size your tag says!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life worn a size 12. I'm almost there now. While I may not be "skinny"....I am very happy with how I am looking and feeling. If a 12 is fat for some people...it certainly isn't for me. And my opinion about me is the one that counts.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of size 12 you are, I suppose. There's a whole lotta difference between someone who is 5 ft and a size 12, and someone who is 5 ft 11 and a size 12.
    I wear a UK size 12 (US size 8) and I'm 5 ft 8. I'm aiming to be a size 10.
    Size 12 is not a fat size, but it depends on what goes into those size 12 jeans. Is it lean and healthy or fat and unfit? I don't like to go by dress size as a measure for my figure - I may never be below a 12, that could well be just my structure. I find it best to go by what you look like without that size 12 on.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about an American 12?
    That's a UK 16 which we would say is quite chunky.
    Our 12 is an American 8 which I think is the average size in the UK.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Deleted due to math error.
  • misskellylynne
    Options
    When I first started losing weight I was a size 22. At five foot three, I am now a size 12-14, was a 10-12 until my recent gain I had.

I loved being a 12 compared to the 22 I was, but for my frame I think a size 4 would be about right. Which is my goal to hit. But honestly it is about your height, your build, there are so many factors.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Is this American size 12 or...?
    I'm a UK size 16 which is a US size 12, I think that is quite chunky, I'm a uk size 14/16 and i'm obese, this is my starting size!
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am now fitting in a size 12 jean myself after wearing a size 20 for a considerable length of time. Back in the day I considered myself "thin" I wore between a 10 and 12, so I am thankful to be back at this size again. I am 5'7" and right now sitting at 160 pounds. So my personal opinion is this is a good size to be at. I wouldn't use the media as a guide to what is thin or fat. We'd all have to be anorexic to appease those folks!
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person. I was a 12/14 after having my second child. I looked huge. I wore like 8's before I got pregnant. I was able to get down to a size 4 and I loved the way I looked. Right now i'm wearing a size 6 and they are starting to get a little loose on me.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i think it's personal preference and based on your health. For instance my wife is a size 12, she actually waist wise is a 8/10 but because she has hips she wears a 12 more comfortably. However the scale they use to measure and determine "obesity" would say something like "she is overweight" however at the same time she has a flat stomach and very light abs. So based on how you feel and look i would use that to determine your viewpoint of yourself. How do you feel? if you choose to keep losing great, i've trained plenty of women that went from a 16 to a 12 and once we started the toning process their size 12 was a eye catcher. Be proud of your thus far accoplishment and by the way congratulations! s/n there are some size 2-4's out there who are in horrible shape :smile: (no offense to any 2-4s reading this, i am sure you guys are killing it)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes vary by brand and, frankly, by year. One size 12 is another brand or year's size 14 or size 10. Frame also has to be taken into account.

At the end of the day, what matters is how happy you are with your appearance. If you're a bombshell in a size 12 to yourself, then that's what counts.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    50 years ago that would have been an average and healthy size to wear. But with the way skinny is sensationalized it has become the 'fat' pants. I fit in a size 10/12 and I get a lot of compliments on how good I look so in my opinion... certainly a fine size.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who is saying that size shouldn't be what matters. I know it's difficult to fully accept that, as we see models who are size 00 and small sizes are pushed, but pant sizes ain't nothin but a number! My little sister weighs about 10 pounds more than I do, is an inch shorter than I am, but wears size 11 pants, while I wear size 5. It doesn't seem like there should be that big of a difference, but there is! We have different body shapes. She's comfortable with herself and I'm comfortable with myself. So if you're proud of where you're at, ignore the haters :)

ETA: I'm 5'5 and she's 5'4
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    50 years ago that would have been an average and healthy size to wear. But with the way skinny is sensationalized it has become the 'fat' pants. I fit in a size 10/12 and I get a lot of compliments on how good I look so in my opinion... certainly a fine size.

A size 12 50 years ago is more like a 6 or small 8 now. It's most certainly not the same. Today's size 12 would have been plus sizes 50 years ago.