Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    If you want to save money and by the coolest clothes at a thrift shop, say Goodwill Industries, then size 4-6 are perfect. :flowerforyou:

Bigger stuff is most often dumpy and worn out. I know because my size I end up having to buy new clothes instead of being green and sustainable.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    If you want to save money and by the coolest clothes at a thrift shop, say Goodwill Industries, then size 4-6 are perfect. :flowerforyou:

Bigger stuff is most often dumpy and worn out. I know because my size I end up having to buy new clothes instead of being green and sustainable.

lol I totally agree with this. I love combing through goodwill but you're right, all of the cute stuff is a S/6
  • myskinnyfit
    Options
    For someone who's really tall (5'11 and up) size 12 is not a problem at all. However, try to look at the mirror, if you see toooo mucchhh stretch marks then your skin absolutely can't handle the flesh anymore so weight loss program wouldn't hurt (this happened to me)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Numbers are stupid. I wear a size 20 in Lane Bryant jeans right now. I found a pair of size 20 Lane Bryant jeans I owned in 2001, and they are WAY too tight. I remembered I weighed 220 pounds in 2001. So, their size 20 has expanded by nearly **100 pounds**.

Jean sizes have changed drastically (as far as LB is concerned anyway), so I never really care or pay attention when people on MFP mention sizes. Size tells me absolutely nothing. I'm more impressed with their ticker and progress pictures.

I was a size 12 in high school, but given the way sizes have changed, I bet I'll wear a size 4 when I hit my goal weight. :huh:
  • deedeerush
    Options
    I don't use clothes size! I use my BMI because I want to be healthy, not skinny! If my BMI is at the correct number and I'm a size 14 then I will be happy :0))
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pear shape so I'm in an 8 now. A 12 wouldnt be a "fat" size if you have a very feminine figure or are tall. Still, a 12 isnt bad!
  • bbydl64
    bbydl64 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" tall and at 140 lbs I am a size 6, At 190 I am a size 10-12. Depends on body shape, muscle mass vs fat. I agree...its whatever you are comfortable with.
  • elodys
    elodys Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a 12 now and trying to get more fit. I think I'm fine anywhere from a 4-12 if I'm in shape. I've never had a tiny waist and am built pretty boyish and muscular. In the right cut jeans, I'd be happy in 12. My goal would prob be around an 8-10 as that's sustainable for me. I've been a 4, but I ate grass basically and had no pleasure out of food. I love to cook, so I'd take a few more pounds for a better quality of life!

The other thing is if you lift or run, your legs will never fit in a leg of small sizes. I'm built with muscle and curves. Those really aren't going away, nor do I want them to:)
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    this is getting confusing...are we talking UK or US size 12 as they are very different! I am working towards being a UK size 10-12, as i am averaging a size 14 at the moment...i think size 12 is a great size to aim for then you decide if you look and feel good at that stage,or whether you want to keep going :)
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me, a size 12 is my "reward" goal meaning that's when I celebrate. Ultimately, however, I plan to be a size 10 once I'm at goal weight. As others have said, size is relative depending on the person but I think for me this is what will work. I am currently a size 14 and would like to lose 40-50 more pounds so I think that's where I will end up.
  • xxatreyubluexx
    Options
    Well, it depends solemnly upon your health. When I was a size twelve, I really didn't mind it. It's considered to be an average size for an American woman these days. Any size is beautiful just as long as you're healthy! :)
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda pear shaped. A 12 on me and I feel like I'm getting fat again. I used to be size 22/24! Currently I wear size 9/10. I'm trying to get back into my 7/8, loved that size best. My smallest was a 6 but it looked sickly on me! I'm 5'5.75.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I am a size 12 (sometimes 14, depending on the store). I would be happy to get down to a size 8. But I do NOT think I'm fat at size 12. If I went up a few sizes, I would probably think I was bigger and wouldn't be satisfied.

But I don't think size 12 is fat - not size 14 either.
  • emmetmcl
    Options
    To be honest I would see a size 16 as "not fat" - certainly a seize 14 as not fat.
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on the person. I personally can't go that low because my bone structure won't allow it. I would look good in a size 14-16, and right now I'm a size 26. I haven't seen a size 16 in a very long time, but I'm very excited..............
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Depends on height and build.

I'm 5'1 and a size 12. Down from 16/18. It's definitely still too large on me, but nice that I can fit into normal clothes.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 26... a size 12 would be AWESOME! It really depends on the person. I have two sisters. One looks downright FAT when she's a size 6 and doesn't look "healthy" unless she's about size 2 and the other looks like skin and bones in a size 10. They're about the same height but VERY different builds.

Also there's a difference between just getting to a healthy weight and wanting to have an optimal body. If you're striving for an optimal body then yeah, a size 12 is a bit big for most.. but if you just want to be active and healthy a size 12 may be fine for you.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on your body type. Ectomorph, Endomorph, or Mesomorph...to put it in geek terms. I am an ectomorph (small frame/bones, lanky) and a size 12 would make me look overweight. But for some people that might be their ideal, healthy size.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm tall so an old fashioned 12 (current size 8) is what I wore when I had a 19 BMI and was dancing 7 days a week.

I went from a modern 14 to a modern 10 and, yeah, I feel skinny.
  • SaintBock
    Options
    Exactly what others have said. It depends on the person. Size 12 is what I started at when I was 165 lbs, and I was chubby. Not super fat, but definitely flabby arms and all that. Now I'm a size 4-6. Even when I was at my lowest weight of 113 lbs at 5'7", I was still that size because I have big hips... and bone structure isn't going to change with weight loss. So while my friend was the same height and a few pounds heavier, she is a size 0 because she has a more boyish frame.

So really... sizes do not really define how big you are since body types differ. I have seen size 12 girls who look bigger than that and ones who look smaller! Ignore sizes of pants and just rely on the results you see in the mirror. :)