Paleo eating?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

This statement is not accurate.
    As someone who is insulin resistant, I could eat at a calorie deficit by consuming mostly sugary carbs and I won't lose a pound. I will gain- a lot. I am interested in being healthy, so sugar is not my choice of fuel and I am more focused on proper nutrition. That being said, the QUALITY of the calories is just as important as the QUANTITY . ALSO- a very important point needs to be made. TOO much calorie deficit and the weight loss will also stop. Our bodies are efficient and will conserve energy. To disregard the impact of hormones and metabolic damage is unfair and unwise. The general premise that a caloric deficit is necessary is true- but it is not the WHOLE truth.
    I am a bit shocked at how snarky some people are here. I thought this was a place for support. :( If this fat loss journey was easy, we'd all be at our goals in no time. Let's be supportive of all snowflakes. ;)

On the Paleo topic-- Paleo and Primal can be very healthy ways to live. I find they help break sugar cravings/addictions. You will need to cook but there are many places to get great recipes. Many you can just throw in a slow cooker and come back to with little effort. Any goal worth achieving takes effort. Maybe you need to try something new? Everyone has their own struggles. You have to decide what things you are willing to change to reach your goals.

That's not exactly true. Even with insulin resistance, you will lose weight eating at a calorie deficit. You just have to know what a calorie deficit is. You will not gain weight at a calorie deficit.

Hmm, it really depends. I've never heard of a medical condition that would allow fat gain while on a deficit, but it is possible to have weight gain due to something other than fat while eating a deficit. If the deficit is large enough and eaten long enough, one would likely eventually lose weight or die, but it really isn't as simple as the statement "eat less, move more" makes it sound for everyone.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

Then what on earth are you doing here?!

Edit: read posts about it - ignore
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

No, it isn't false. I know for a fact that I was eating at a huge deficit under a doctor's care and was not losing weight, instead steadily gaining even though I was exercising and following an insanely strict diet at the time.

There are so many other factors that come into play here. I was found to have a pituitary tumor, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and PCOS.

No matter how much or how little I ate the weight would not go anywhere.

Stop generalizing - there are far more people out here like this than you know of.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options

As someone who is insulin resistant, I could eat at a calorie deficit by consuming mostly sugary carbs and I won't lose a pound. I will gain- a lot. I am interested in being healthy, so sugar is not my choice of fuel and I am more focused on proper nutrition. That being said, the QUALITY of the calories is just as important as the QUANTITY . ALSO- a very important point needs to be made. TOO much calorie deficit and the weight loss will also stop. Our bodies are efficient and will conserve energy. To disregard the impact of hormones and metabolic damage is unfair and unwise. The general premise that a caloric deficit is necessary is true- but it is not the WHOLE truth.
    I am a bit shocked at how snarky some people are here. I thought this was a place for support. :( If this fat loss journey was easy, we'd all be at our goals in no time. Let's be supportive of all snowflakes. ;)

On the Paleo topic-- Paleo and Primal can be very healthy ways to live. I find they help break sugar cravings/addictions. You will need to cook but there are many places to get great recipes. Many you can just throw in a slow cooker and come back to with little effort. Any goal worth achieving takes effort. Maybe you need to try something new? Everyone has their own struggles. You have to decide what things you are willing to change to reach your goals.

That's not exactly true. Even with insulin resistance, you will lose weight eating at a calorie deficit. You just have to know what a calorie deficit is. You will not gain weight at a calorie deficit.

Hmm, it really depends. I've never heard of a medical condition that would allow fat gain while on a deficit, but it is possible to have weight gain due to something other than fat while eating a deficit. If the deficit is large enough and eaten long enough, one would likely eventually lose weight or die, but it really isn't as simple as the statement "eat less, move more" makes it sound for everyone.
    No it doesn't depend on anything. If in a deficit, the body will use existing stores of energy for repair and function, no way around it. What people seem to be confused about is that medical conditions may confound the out side of the energy balance equation, which is true, it can be confusing for sure, especially on paper. All metabolic dysfunction is part of the out side of the EBE. :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No, it isn't false. I know for a fact that I was eating at a huge deficit under a doctor's care and was not losing weight, instead steadily gaining even though I was exercising and following an insanely strict diet at the time.

There are so many other factors that come into play here. I was found to have a pituitary tumor, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and PCOS.

Stop generalizing - there are far more people out here like this than you know of.

I'd get your facts straight. If you truly were burning more energy then you expended, where did the fat come from?
  • mrsraushel
    Options
    It can help with with weight loss because it tends to focus on higher protein, lower carb, and whole food consumption, so it's likely that it would be more filling that what you're doing now. However, your caloric balance will determine weight loss, rather than food avoidance.

No matter what diet you chose, it's a good idea to learn to cook some basic foods. It's really not that hard.

I agree that you should learn to cook for yourself. If you just go to pre-packaged/prepared meals, you're doing BETTER, but not as good as you could be. That motivates me. I taught myself how to cook and I look for recipes that sound good and try them out. It really isn't that hard and you only need a handful of "essentials" to cook most meals.

Have you heard of Nerd Fitness? When I was first looking into Paleo, I read a handful of his articles.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/21/a-decent-meal/

^that kind of goes over the basics for a Paleo kitchen. He also has a good recipe for Spaghetti Squash that I've used.

I've become a bit of a food snob... even when I do go out to eat the food is never as good as when I just make it myself at home. That's a good thing, I guess! But it takes the "fun" out of the convenience of eating out. :)

I hope you can find some fun recipes to try!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological.

Hmmm doing a quick search, I've found no recorded cases of food jumping into someone's mouth that caused them to become overweight, nor any cases of a food taking over your body and forcing you to eat more food against your will. So overeating is lack of self control/will power, there are some exceptions like binge eating disorder which is a mental disorder

Instead of looking in Fairy Tales, do research on metabolism and hormones. You might learn something new. Or not. Supposedly binge eating, depression, etc are all mental, but strangely, it is widely reported (by first hand experience) that these issues improve or disappear all together when certain foods are eliminated. I do not think that anyone has to do anything that they don't want to do, but for me, I'm enjoying being healthy for the first time. So when someone ASKS about this lifestyle, people like me should be free to comment without BS from people like you.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No it doesn't depend on anything. If in a deficit, the body will use existing stores of energy for repair and function, no way around it. What people seem to be confused about is that medical conditions may confound the out side of the energy balance equation, which is true, it can be confusing for sure, especially on paper. All metabolic dysfunction is part of the out side of the EBE. :smile:

And some people are acting as if fat is the only weight the body carries.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If you hate cooking , defenitely not for you, Paleo is whole foods, nothing prepared, you have to make everything. Very time consuming .

However the pros far outweigh the cons for me on this lifestyle.
    ~ acne gone
    ~ anxiety gone
    ~ depression gone
    ~ bloating gone
    ~ fatigue gone
    ~ pms gone

Never going back to old eating habits. :happy: Paleo is not nessesarily for weight loss, but for healthy eating , of course losing weight will happen for people who have lots to lose, I am not losing weight as I am at an acceptable weight , however my body fat percentage is dropping. Don't knock it til you try it. I find it difficult to reason wqith people who have alot to say about a diet they have never tried or know nothing about. Just ignore the bashers . :laugh:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    You are not accepting that my experience is my experience.

I can accept that your experience has hijacked almost every thread I've seen on the primal/paleo lifestyle

Excuse me for pissing you off, but I get pissed off that so many people who have no experience with this lifestyle have to come on a thread where someone asks about this lifestyle and bash those of us who actually have EXPERIENCE with this lifestyle.

I feel I have a right to respond to comments that are ignorant, ridiculous, disrespectful and just plain BS. If you don't like it, you can ignore it.

Hijacking is when someone comes on a thread and talks about totally unrelated subject matter. I'm so sick of the misinformation against a healthy way of eating (nope, not the only way) that I feel obligated to call out the BS. If you think I am full of bs, so be it. No need to be rude, condescending and riduculing (re: Lovecraftian god).
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Fitbie listed the 'Paleo diet' as one of the top 10 worst diet fads of the year. It's just another version of the Atkins diet - minus a few things. Yes, you will lose weight but good luck maintaining afterwards.

IMO the best 'diet' is one you can live with for LIFE. It's called moderation, eating within your means (as in.. if you want a cookie, burn the cals before or after you eat it), eat MOSTLY healthy foods to nourish your body, not clog your arteries and make you unhealthy.

Eat RIGHT, Eat enough & Move MORE.

You know what your really need to do. Just do it.

Good luck! <hugs>
  • Acg67
    Options

This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological.

Hmmm doing a quick search, I've found no recorded cases of food jumping into someone's mouth that caused them to become overweight, nor any cases of a food taking over your body and forcing you to eat more food against your will. So overeating is lack of self control/will power, there are some exceptions like binge eating disorder which is a mental disorder

Instead of looking in Fairy Tales, do research on metabolism and hormones. You might learn something new. Or not. Supposedly binge eating, depression, etc are all mental, but strangely, it is widely reported (by first hand experience) that these issues improve or disappear all together when certain foods are eliminated. I do not think that anyone has to do anything that they don't want to do, but for me, I'm enjoying being healthy for the first time. So when someone ASKS about this lifestyle, people like me should be free to comment without BS from people like you.

Oh did they find a new hormone that makes you unconsciously shove food into your mouth that I'm unaware of?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Oh did they find a new hormone that makes you unconsciously shove food into your mouth that I'm unaware of?

Just curious, do you think eating LC does not help reduce cravings?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Supposedly binge eating, depression, etc are all mental, but strangely, it is widely reported (by first hand experience) that these issues improve or disappear all together when certain foods are eliminated.

Well, certainly craving and the associated binges would disappear if the foods that were craved are eliminated. Alcoholism is a disease with actual physical cravings. If you are referring to something similar with food, then I agree. I believe some people have food addictions, and just like an alcoholic needs to remove alcohol from their diet, these people need to remove that food from their diet.

But, unlike alcoholism or drug addiction, a food addiction is mental. I've never heard of anyone going through physical detox with the sweats and shakes and vomiting they way and alcoholic or drug addict will. That doesn't mean it doesn't take great mental discipline to overcome the craving, and it doesn't make the person weak for having the mental addiction in the first place.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    You are not accepting that my experience is my experience. I'm not talking about "normal" craving and bingeing is never normal. It has nothing to do with willpower. This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological. Fine if many people don't agree, but this thread asked for opinions from people who have experience with this lifestyle. It would be great if people who think it is stupid, a fad, dangerous, or whatever, based on no first-hand experience would go amuse themselves with posts that fit with their own philosophies.

Please don't put words in my mouth (or keyboard). I never said the diet is stupid or dangerous. There is no need to have experience with the paleo diet to know about what happens when NOT eating a paleo diet, which is what we were discussing. If you can, without becoming upset or irate, would you tell me where to find the explanations from medical professionals explaining why overeating is physiological? But if it upsets you then please don't bother.

**edited to remove some of the quotes due to length.

Upset or irate? No I am direct and passionate and annoyed by people who comment on things they don't know and ridicule people who do. Do your own research, observation, and experimentation. I have and still am. If I find out that I'm wrong I'll let you all know; I won't cling to false beliefs.

You know as well as I do about nutritional research, all the factors involved, and how research gets funded and I've mentioned time and time again on other threads why there is research for and against just about any issue on the planet. I'm not having a battle of the research papers, boring and meaningless. But perhaps you value such research as "eating egg yolks may be worse than smoking cigarettes" etc. Power to you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I'd get your facts straight. If you truly were burning more energy then you expended, where did the fat come from?

Oh my facts are straight. These words have come straight from the mouth of a Metabolic Endrocrinologist that treated me for Adrenal Gland Fatigue, Hypothyroid and the pituitary tumor.

If you think for one second that hormones being imbalanced don't have a lot to do with why a lot of people can not lose weight despite exercising like crack heads and eating very strict, then you really don't know anything, so stop being such a poser.
  • Acg67
    Options

Just curious, do you think eating LC does not help reduce cravings?

It must, that is why adherence rates for LC are so awesome
  • Acg67
    Options

Oh my facts are straight. These words have come straight from the mouth of a Metabolic Endrocrinologist that treated me for Adrenal Gland Fatigue, Hypothyroid and the pituitary tumor.

If you think for one second that hormones being imbalanced don't have a lot to do with why a lot of people can not lose weight despite exercising like crack heads and eating very strict, then you really don't know anything, so stop being such a poser.

Might want to look at the energy balance equation again, particularly the energy out side of things...
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Just answer honestly, no sarcasm is needed. You are not contributing, just trolling.

Do YOU think eating LC reduces cravings? Not your study, YOU. Have YOU tried it, and did it do that to YOU.
  • Acg67
    Options

Just answer honestly, no sarcasm is needed. You are not contributing, just trolling.

Do YOU think eating LC reduces cravings? Not your study, YOU. Have YOU tried it, and did it do that to YOU.

Highly variable on the person, but no didn't reduce cravings for me