Paleo eating?

Options

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Do YOU think eating LC reduces cravings? Not your study, YOU. Have YOU tried it, and did it do that to YOU.

Highly variable on the person, but no didn't reduce cravings for me
    [/quote]

Thank you!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Fitbie listed the 'Paleo diet' as one of the top 10 worst diet fads of the year. It's just another version of the Atkins diet - minus a few things. Yes, you will lose weight but good luck maintaining afterwards.

IMO the best 'diet' is one you can live with for LIFE. It's called moderation, eating within your means (as in.. if you want a cookie, burn the cals before or after you eat it), eat MOSTLY healthy foods to nourish your body, not clog your arteries and make you unhealthy.

Eat RIGHT, Eat enough & Move MORE.

You know what your really need to do. Just do it.

Good luck! <hugs>

Yup, it's not a DIET. If one doesn't stick with it (at least about 80%) and goes back to eating the way they did before,they end up in the same condition as before. It's not just about WEIGHT LOSS. If this way of eating is so bad, why do so many of us have such dramatically improved health? Please, I'd love your explanation (or since that wasn't your opinion based on first hand experience, give me someone elses opinion based on their lack of first hand experience!).

I love that: eating whole, healthy food is a "fad". Yeah, because it takes so much profits out of food processors pockets. Poor General Mills, Nabisco, Kelloggs etc. We wouldn't want them deprived now would we?

Well, now I know you don't know what you are talking about. Paleo/primal is NOT like the Atkins diet. Some of us practice a low carb version of paleo/primal, but many others do not. Read the ingredients on Atkins "food". Nope not paleo/primal. (Atkins was ahead of his time, but the current version of the company isn't any different than any other diet corporation).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you hate cooking , defenitely not for you, Paleo is whole foods, nothing prepared, you have to make everything. Very time consuming .

However the pros far outweigh the cons for me on this lifestyle.
    ~ acne gone
    ~ anxiety gone
    ~ depression gone
    ~ bloating gone
    ~ fatigue gone
    ~ pms gone

Never going back to old eating habits. :happy: Paleo is not nessesarily for weight loss, but for healthy eating , of course losing weight will happen for people who have lots to lose, I am not losing weight as I am at an acceptable weight , however my body fat percentage is dropping. Don't knock it til you try it. I find it difficult to reason wqith people who have alot to say about a diet they have never tried or know nothing about. Just ignore the bashers . :laugh:

This, this, this (plus more health improvements for me personally).

Yeah, I know there is no reasoning with people who have strong beliefs about things they know nothing about... I must love bashing my head.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

No, it isn't false. I know for a fact that I was eating at a huge deficit under a doctor's care and was not losing weight, instead steadily gaining even though I was exercising and following an insanely strict diet at the time.

There are so many other factors that come into play here. I was found to have a pituitary tumor, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and PCOS.

No matter how much or how little I ate the weight would not go anywhere.

Stop generalizing - there are far more people out here like this than you know of.

I'd get your facts straight. If you truly were burning more energy then you expended, where did the fat come from?

Oh my facts are straight. These words have come straight from the mouth of a Metabolic Endrocrinologist that treated me for Adrenal Gland Fatigue, Hypothyroid and the pituitary tumor.

If you think for one second that hormones being imbalanced don't have a lot to do with why a lot of people can not lose weight despite exercising like crack heads and eating very strict, then you really don't know anything, so stop being such a poser.

For sure, metabolic dysfunction can effect weight loss......read my previous post. Unfortunately your story is no different than the people that are vegetarian, vegan, low fat, low carb...............everyone's diet works, they all have the same results of improved health, some outright death deifying . If this is working for you, great. Personally I think the paleo diet has a good base of natural foods, but improved health does not necessarily translate into the list of foods that are removed from this diet, and personally not eating butter, potato's, peppers, legumes because of a list of foods that someone feels are the scourge of modern civilization is well, kinda, sorta rediculous imo. Why would someone not eat something for the rest of their lives based on that kind of information and the axiom that any food not eaten in paleolithic times is suspect, is someone selling books, not looking out for our health, especially considering nobody really knows what paleolithic peoples ate and I would imagine if we did, a vast majority wouldn't be able to get it to their mouths.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    (Atkins was ahead of his time, but the current version of the company isn't any different than any other diet corporation).

Heh any company that sells processed dog food in a box is off my list
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

No, it isn't false. I know for a fact that I was eating at a huge deficit under a doctor's care and was not losing weight, instead steadily gaining even though I was exercising and following an insanely strict diet at the time.

There are so many other factors that come into play here. I was found to have a pituitary tumor, Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Adrenal Gland Fatigue and PCOS.

Stop generalizing - there are far more people out here like this than you know of.

I'd get your facts straight. If you truly were burning more energy then you expended, where did the fat come from?

Oh my facts are straight. These words have come straight from the mouth of a Metabolic Endrocrinologist that treated me for Adrenal Gland Fatigue, Hypothyroid and the pituitary tumor.

If you think for one second that hormones being imbalanced don't have a lot to do with why a lot of people can not lose weight despite exercising like crack heads and eating very strict, then you really don't know anything, so stop being such a poser.

For sure, metabolic dysfunction can effect weight loss......read my previous post. Unfortunately your story is no different than the people that are vegetarian, vegan, low fat, low carb...............everyone's diet works, they all have the same results of improved health, some outright death deifying . If this is working for you, great. Personally I think the paleo diet has a good base of natural foods, but improved health does not necessarily translate into the list of foods that are removed from this diet, and personally not eating butter, potato's, peppers, legumes because of a list of foods that someone feels are the scourge of modern civilization is well, kinda, sorta rediculous imo. Why would someone not eat something for the rest of their lives based on that kind of information and the axiom that any food not eaten in paleolithic times is suspect, is someone selling books, not looking out for our health, especially considering nobody really knows what paleolithic peoples ate and I would imagine if we did, a vast majority wouldn't be able to get it to their mouths.

While the main part of your post has merit, your list of acceptable foods for this particular way of eating must be from one of the restrictive sources. Not everyone on the paleo bandwagon would have you eliminate butter, potatoes, or peppers. And some are even okay with properly-prepared legumes, in moderation.
  • neanderthin
    Options

While the main part of your post has merit, your list of acceptable foods for this particular way of eating must be from one of the restrictive sources. Not everyone on the paleo bandwagon would have you eliminate butter, potatoes, or peppers. And some are even okay with properly-prepared legumes, in moderation.
    Well, that's kinda my point. Moderation has it's liberating merits for sure.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'm just saying that to define paleo in its most restrictive form and then say that it's too restrictive is a little bit of a straw man. Is it at least a little restrictive? Sure, but not necessarily as restrictive as you indicated.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are not accepting that my experience is my experience. I'm not talking about "normal" craving and bingeing is never normal. It has nothing to do with willpower. This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological. Fine if many people don't agree, but this thread asked for opinions from people who have experience with this lifestyle. It would be great if people who think it is stupid, a fad, dangerous, or whatever, based on no first-hand experience would go amuse themselves with posts that fit with their own philosophies.

Please don't put words in my mouth (or keyboard). I never said the diet is stupid or dangerous. There is no need to have experience with the paleo diet to know about what happens when NOT eating a paleo diet, which is what we were discussing. If you can, without becoming upset or irate, would you tell me where to find the explanations from medical professionals explaining why overeating is physiological? But if it upsets you then please don't bother.

**edited to remove some of the quotes due to length.

Upset or irate? No I am direct and passionate and annoyed by people who comment on things they don't know and ridicule people who do. Do your own research, observation, and experimentation. I have and still am. If I find out that I'm wrong I'll let you all know; I won't cling to false beliefs.

You know as well as I do about nutritional research, all the factors involved, and how research gets funded and I've mentioned time and time again on other threads why there is research for and against just about any issue on the planet. I'm not having a battle of the research papers, boring and meaningless. But perhaps you value such research as "eating egg yolks may be worse than smoking cigarettes" etc. Power to you.

This ^^ sounds more irate than passionate. I never ridiculed anyone or the way they eat. Why must you take everything as an attack?
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If it produces a calorie deficit, you can eat like that for life, and you aren't going to die doing it/have awful health repercussions, go for it. It's not for everybody. If you find out a vegan low fat diet works well for you, fantastic! If eating paleo/primal helps keeps the pounds off and the diabetes away, great! If you can live with it, have at it.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I'm just saying that to define paleo in its most restrictive form and then say that it's too restrictive is a little bit of a straw man. Is it at least a little restrictive? Sure, but not necessarily as restrictive as you indicated.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you. The original paleo format has since been redefined, much like what vegetarian stood for back in the 60's, which has since redefined itself. Which poses the question, what is the paleo diet, is it one that the majority of people can conform, Mark from MDA consumes sugar in moderation and sells protein powder with sugar in it. I know he has expenses and needs to make money, but still, where do these adjustments lead and will there be a faction that includes some grain product in moderation in the future?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The original paleo format has since been redefined, much like what vegetarian stood for back in the 60's, which has since redefined itself. Which poses the question, what is the paleo diet, is it one that the majority of people can conform, Mark from MDA consumes sugar in moderation and sells protein powder with sugar in it. I know he has expenses and needs to make money, but still, where do these adjustments lead and will there be a faction that includes some grain product in moderation in the future?

Indeed, which is why I tried to make it clear that I was picking at a minor point and not with the overall message.

And yes, there are already some who claim to be adhering to primal/paleo who do not have a problem with some/certain grain consumption.

(Myself for example...while I agree with many of the concepts of paleo/primal, I am not so married to the dogma that I don't evaluate each tenet separately.)
  • neanderthin
    Options

Indeed, which is why I tried to make it clear that I was picking at a minor point and not with the overall message.

And yes, there are already some who claim to be adhering to primal/paleo who do not have a problem with some/certain grain consumption.

(Myself for example...while I agree with many of the concepts of paleo/primal, I am not so married to the dogma that I don't evaluate each tenet separately.)
    I as well see the benefits of a paleo type of dieting where more natural foods are consumed, that can never be a bad thing. I do consume some grain, but in moderation. I will never give up dairy, ever, too many cheeses, especially raw cheeses I haven't eaten yet. My basic philosophy is farm to fork, and have been a member of slow foods www.slowfood.com since 1991
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Research shows that most people under report the calories in the food they eat. Perhaps you've been eating more than you think you are. I started using the ".just add calories" feature and add 10 percent to my recorded calorie consumption. Sure enough the weight has started coming off
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    I will start off by saying I don't eat paleo now, however I have in the past. I like the promotion of using fresh meats and veggies and eliminating processed foods. I did find it to be too restrictive for me to maintain long term. You will have to do your own research and see if you can make it a lifestyle change given how strict it is.

You also need to really consider learning how to cook as you will have to prepare your own food. All in all it can be a good choice for a lot of people. You just have to decide for yourself.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ive been on the paleo diet for medical reasons. Cutting out grains and dairy has not been hard for me, because these are the foods that make me feel miserable.

www.paleoplan.com/recipes is a great site! I'm not calorie deprived, never have been on this diet. I hate to cook and this has been very easy for me to follow. I cook enough so that I have extra for lunch the next day. Simple as that!

Good luck to you!
    Wendy
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will start off by saying I don't eat paleo now, however I have in the past. I like the promotion of using fresh meats and veggies and eliminating processed foods. I did find it to be too restrictive for me to maintain long term. You will have to do your own research and see if you can make it a lifestyle change given how strict it is.

You also need to really consider learning how to cook as you will have to prepare your own food. All in all it can be a good choice for a lot of people. You just have to decide for yourself.

You know what's awesome? It's not too hard to learn to cook fresh meats and veggies without adherence to any specific diet regiment. The only thing I don't do yet is bake my own bread. (And I have no plans to grow my own wheat; I'll still buy flour at the store.) That's something I want to learn to do well.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I as well see the benefits of a paleo type of dieting where more natural foods are consumed, that can never be a bad thing.

I agree with this ^^, though I think I'd state it as "I as well see the benefits of a type of dieting where more natural foods are consumed, that can never be a bad thing.", since Paleo is far from the only diet to promote eating more natural foods.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options

You know what's awesome? It's not too hard to learn to cook fresh meats and veggies without adherence to any specific diet regiment. The only thing I don't do yet is bake my own bread. (And I have no plans to grow my own wheat; I'll still buy flour at the store.) That's something I want to learn to do well.

Yeah that is awsome since I do the same thing. I eat in moderation now, however paleo has its pros. It is a lifestyle for a lot of people. We all have to find what works for us on an individual level.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Before I stopped eating bread entirely, my family and I used to make bread from wheat berries. Would buy them in five-gallon buckets and grind them into flour in a Whispermill mill (which sounded like a small angry jet airplane). Not quite grinding them between two rocks, but certainly had a freshness that you can't buy in a grocery store.

(Hey, someone do me a favor and quote this post since I'm 99.44% certain that WT has me on ignore. :drinker: )