Crazy Things Cashiers Have Done/Said

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Our daughter works in a restaurant and she hates when old ladies come in. Never fails they will complain about everything from the food is too salty or its cold or complain about where they are sitting etc. You name it if they can complain about it they will. Well this one old lady came in with a big party but refused to sit with them. Everyone looked around and couldn't see grandmom. My daughter finally spotted her sitting at a large table with another family. My daughter went over to her and said "wouldn't you like to sit with your family over there?" Her reply: "No! They all suck! I like this family better!" LOL

Then this other old lady came in and insisted they take her coupon from another restaurant. Now my daughter works at one of those Japanese steak house places where they have the hibachi grill and they do the big show for you etc. They don't have coupons. This little old lady swore she was in a friendly's restaurant and wanted a discount off her steak lol.

Then this other large family comes in with all these little kids and they ordered kids meals for them. At the register they insisted to our daughter that the kids did not eat that they were not going to pay for the kids meals. My daughter asked the kids "did you like your food?" The kids all chimed in about how they loved their meal and wanted to come back again. The lady paid up lol
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

Apparently math is not required to work a register.

I worked as a cashier for 10 years. Once, a girl who I had gone to high school with came in and asked if we were hiring. I said "We're always hiring. people don't want to work." She then asked if we had one of those registers that spit out the coin change. I told her we did not. She shook her head and said, "oh, I don't think I can do that..." Like, wtf? a register is a big calculator. Seriously, you can't count change? You don't even have to do the subtraction. just add the change.

I'd say one time out of a million (well, every time it makes sense to give someone an odd amount to get a 5 or 10 and minimal coin since i've been an adult) has the person just done it and known what I was getting at. People are stupid. So stupid.

I've had customers try to explain it to me before when they have give ME an odd amount. I just interrupted them with the correct change amount (as in, mental math) and give them their cash and tell them to have a good day. I used to think all the time. "I might make minimum wage but I bet I'm smarter than you are. " lol.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    More of a crazy customer story... many years ago, I worked for Domino's Pizza as a delivery driver. There was this one customer that everybody knew. He somehow knew the codes for the toppings, and would constantly be asking for beef (B) on his pizza and then when it would arrive at his house, he would claim we got the pie wrong because he had asked for bacon (K) not beef. Company policy, at the time,dictated that we would give him his money back, or not charge him for the pie. So, one day, he tried to mix things up a bit. He called and asked for tomatoes (cooked) on his pizza. When I got to his house, he claimed that he had asked for fresh tomatoes, not cooked. I had taken his order, and I told him, that I distinctly remember hearing him say he wanted his tomatoes cooked (He repeated it several times to make sure he could scam us). He called the store and complained while I waited for his payment. The guy began to get irate with the manager, and yelled and screamed about having children who were starving to death now because he didn't have fresh tomatoes. The manager asked for me and talked to me, and I told him what happened. The manager then asked to speak to the customer again, and told him he could have the pizza for free, that I would bring him fresh tomatoes after my other deliveries, and that he was banned from ever ordering from our store again.

I went on my way, and delivered my other two stops. When I got back to the store, there was a pickup truck parked under the awning on the sidewalk (the store was in a strip mall). I walked past the truck and into the store. The manager and the tomato guy were standing on the counter. The manager had the guy in a headlock (kind of a full nelson hold). I walked past the two and went to the back of the store. I took down a cup, and put a half dozen tomato slices in it. As I came out the cops were arriving to arrest the guy and the guy's wife was arriving at the store in tears and hysterically pleading with them not to arrest him. As they took him from the manager, I walked around the conflagration, and handed the tomatoes to his wife, and said. "Thanks for saving me the trip. I hope this keeps your kids from starving." Then I went out on my next delivery.

When I got back, they were all gone, and I heard from the manager that in addition to assault charges, he was charged with reckless endangerment (for driving on the sidewalk) and DWI. I'm thinking that guy paid for all of his free pizzas and then some.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Go to get coffee, and hold my hand out for change. I was given my paper money, but not the change portion. After I asked, I was told, "it's not a lot so I just left it in the register."

The next week, same thing. Only this time she said she just rounded up.....87 went to the next dollar!

Funny thing is it's never been rounded down!

I like this woman or I would have to call the home office. Notice, I didn't say which restaurant.

You just let her keep your money??

I had a cashier try to pull that on me ONCE. She said something similar, and I said Well open the drawer and give me my change. She then tried to say, I can't open the register now without ringing up another purchase. Bish do you think I'm stupid?? I then said, Call the manager up here then. Miraculously she was able to suddenly open the drawer and give me my change.

Forget calling the home office. Next time she tries to steal your money (because that is what she is doing) demand to speak to a manager right then and there.

most cashiers can't open their drawer without making a cash transaction, so if you are under the impression that all of them can then you may in fact be stupid.

And lots of times the manager has a key or can enter a code that opens the register.

Uhhhh, yea, if manager's couldn't open the drawer then you could never close out your bank or change cashiers. The point was SHE coulsn't open it and 99% of cashiers can't.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    In Texas, alcohol cannot be purchased before noon on a Sunday. In Sam's Club, I purchased a bottle of sparkling grape juice for my young daughters to drink on New Year's Eve. The guy at the front door who checks your reciept before you walk out would not let me walk out because my purchase had been made at 11:57 AM, three minutes before the law allowed. He literally told me I had to go back, return the bottle, then come through the line AFTER 12:00 to purchase it. A long discussion ensued, with about 20 customers waiting behind us to get their reciepts "checked " by this guy. After about 10 minutes, and repeated attempts at trying to get him to read the bottle, I finally got him to understand that sparkling grape juice is NON-ALCOHOLIC.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

I worked as a cashier for 10 years. Once, a girl who I had gone to high school with came in and asked if we were hiring. I said "We're always hiring. people don't want to work." She then asked if we had one of those registers that spit out the coin change. I told her we did not. She shook her head and said, "oh, I don't think I can do that..." Like, wtf? a register is a big calculator. Seriously, you can't count change? You don't even have to do the subtraction. just add the change.

I'd say one time out of a million (well, every time it makes sense to give someone an odd amount to get a 5 or 10 and minimal coin since i've been an adult) has the person just done it and known what I was getting at. People are stupid. So stupid.

I've had customers try to explain it to me before when they have give ME an odd amount. I just interrupted them with the correct change amount (as in, mental math) and give them their cash and tell them to have a good day. I used to think all the time. "I might make minimum wage but I bet I'm smarter than you are. " lol.

Sometimes I will help the customer with their change. If they hold out their hand and I see they have the money to get an even amount of change back, I will gently say: "Do you have a nickel?" or whatever. Often they catch on but there are those customers who go: "HUH?"

Math is not for everyone.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I am TERRRRRIIIIBLLLLLE at math, mental math, the lot of it.

If I screw up change somehow, I'm ashamed but...I use my li'l calculator.
    I don't screw up very often though!

*shrug*
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    www.notalwaysright.com

You're welcome.

On another note, I always respond in a horrified manner when I am asked if I want to give a dollar to support cancer. NO, I DO NOT SUPPORT CANCER. Jeez.

I love that site!! Hilarious!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

einstein-everybody-is-a-genius.jpg
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "Would you like to donate $1 to the Stollery Children's Hospital fund"..Umm no, would you like to donate a dollar towards my bus fare?

Are you in Edmonton? Camrose here. :)
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty ****ty cashier. Like the people who a few others have complained about I cannot do math at all. I could barely even count money when I graduated highschool in fact, which was pretty embarrassing and though I've gotten better I still prefer to have a calculator nearby to double check, and counting back is something I can't do at all nor have ever learned.
    It's pretty frustrating when a customer will ***** or groan at me for using the calculator when my math skills are as bad as they are. It's like, would you like correct change or not? This is stressful enough. Part of the reason I'll never work in a cashier-only type job, as previously it was only a small facet of my job.

Probably the scariest thing that's ever happened to me as a customer service agent was during my last job, as a customer service rep at a mall. This poor kid, probably 10 years old is running around crying for his mama. He goes by me about four, five times when he's finally close enough for me to gesture him over and ask him what's wrong.
    The kid literally only speaks German and he's bawling at me. Obviously he and his family are here on vacation as while we have multilingual families, ethnic or non, we are a predominately English-speaking town and its whats taught in our elementary schools, french being a second language. Thankfully I know a little bit myself, though not enough to be fluent and I guess hearing someone else speak his native language helped because he calmed down pretty easily after that. He spots his brother about ten minutes later and heads off, waving bye. I was actually shaking by the end of that fiasco.

Probably the worst service I'd gotten from a cashier was when I was quite small myself, around the same age as the aforementioned kid. I had some extra money in my pocket so I biked to the convenience store for some candy. I don't have to be a math genius, as they have a little screen on their register which shows how much money I should be getting back. I pay, grab my stuff and wait around for my change, eventually asking after it outright. Lady behind the counter is giving me the evil eye, tells me there is no change (when according to the little screen I had something like, ten cents worth? Which is huge when you're 10) and then outright pockets a handful of coin from the register, continuing to glare at me. I back out with the candy and ride home. That's the end of that. Going to that particular corner store has never been the same since, lol.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    "Would you like to donate $1 to the Stollery Children's Hospital fund"..Umm no, would you like to donate a dollar towards my bus fare?

Alberta!!!! <3
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

Yes I am :) And I was kidding (if it wasn't obvious :P) I do donate that Loonie every time they ask at Toys R Us.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My nephew met his future wife while working cash register. He worked at bath body works. she came up with her purchase and as a routine policy he asked for phone number. She thought he was "asking for her phone number" LOL!! They ended up going out and long story short they are married now with a baby girl!!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    its not really crazy, but i thought it was funny and cute: a sweet older woman was checking us out at our walmart and she noticed the scarf i was wearing. she came around the register and kindof pet my scarf while it was on me and asked " did you make this?" i said "yup!" she replies " its beautifully made! well done! i thought knitting and crochet was a dying art for you youngsters!" she made me smile. it was nice to know there are still a few normal people left in our local walmart...lol
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Yes I am :) And I was kidding (if it wasn't obvious :P) I do donate that Loonie every time they ask at Toys R Us.

Oh my gosh. Edmontonians exist on this site.

*happy tears*
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I used to work at the Walmart in clarview & had to ask the $1 donation & people would FREAK THE FAK OUT saying they are "not a bank" ... While buying chips, coke, and other **** that's apparently "needed"
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Ummm....why would you want $5.03 back? Just to get a $5 bill?

I can do math as I have worked in finance my entire adult life, but I would still be confused as to why you would want $5.03 back unless it was for the bill.

I must be dumb, too! Aaaaahh!!! :drinker:

I used to work in a grocery store and people would do this to me, too. I'd be so confused. OK, I understand the $5 bill. Very convenient! But about the change part, you gave me 20 cents (TWO coins) so I could give you back 3 cents (THREE coins that don't even work in vending machines). I could understand if you were getting fewer coins to make space in your purse, but I don't get why this part is convenient.
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    In college, I worked at a small gift shop in the mall. It sold things like candles, home decor, knickknacks, holiday items, etc. One day this woman came to the register with some very expensive porcelain figurines. She proceeded to tell me that she had spoken to Richard's (the owner) wife that morning and the wife had told her she could purchase these figurines at half price. This immediately aroused my suspicions because Richard did not have a wife--he had a husband. Richard and I had a passing resemblance and a lot of customers thought I was his daughter. Playing into this, I ask the woman "You talked to my mom this morning? She left this morning to go to Houston because my Grandma is sick." She said (obviously a little flustered) "Yes, this morning. She said she would mention it to Richard." I then told her (as innocently as I could) "Well, okay, let me call my dad. He didn't tell me anything and I don't want to get in trouble with my parents, you know?" I backed up toward the phone, not taking my eyes off those figurines, and when I picked up the phone and started punching in numbers, that woman hightailed it out the store. Richard and Andy about died laughing when I told them what had happened.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I went to lunch with my mom today. This place announces your number, and you get up and grab your order. Simple enough. So we order, and as soon as we sit down, this... Evil Mrs. Clause-type lady in a red jacket and Santa hat starts yelling out number. Strange, since the place is packed and we had JUST ordered (a hot sandwich, a soup, and a salad). So I get up and go over, and she tosses this... Some sort of sandwich that I did NOT order into my hands. I stand there for a minute and no one pays attention to me, so I go over to the cashier and say I got someone else's order. She looks HORRIDLY confused (mind you, same girl that took my order not five minutes ago) and says okay. I go back and sit with my mom and evilsantalady hunts me down and screams, "WHY did you give your sandwich back? Is a tuna on croissant NOT what you ordered?!"

At that point my mother took over because I tend to get nasty with people under my intelligence level.

Yeah lady. I ordered that EXACT sandwich and just handed it back to you cause I just wasn't ready for it yet. Obviously.