Crazy Things Cashiers Have Done/Said

Options
1234568»

Replies

• hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    oh and also. I am a receptionist for a 14 brand car dealership. we open at 8:00am.

this angry lady from Florida calls at 7:50am. keep in mind, my dealers are in Pennsylvania. she demands jeep service, to know if there's a recall on her vehicle (there's no websites to check that obviously). I spend ten minutes calling jeep (at that time, we only have one advisor per dealer so. it's early -.-). I come back on the line and tell her, our jeep advisor is currently with another customer, would you like to leave them a voice message and get a return call? THREE TIMES. the third time, she finally loses it, DEMANDS to know my name again, and says she's reporting me to the better business bureau. then hangs up on me.

...ten minutes before we open.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I have a ton from the customer service side .. but one really sticks out from the customer side..

I'm 37, my boyfriend is 24 and looks quite a bit younger than he is. We were getting groceries one night, and he's bagging everything up while I'm getting ready to pay. He spots his Mountain Dew on the belt and kind of squeals a little and grabs it, opens it, and starts guzzling it. It's about 11:30pm on a Tuesday or something, so I started taunting him and telling him if he didn't slow down he'd be up and hyper all night. Being the smart*ss that he is, he sticks his tongue out at me and goes back to bagging.

The cashier looks at me and laughs and says, "Is he your only child?" I just stared at her a second, looked at my boyfriend who is turning every color in the rainbow trying not to laugh, and finally just lost it laughing. I looked back at her and said, "Umm, he's not my kid" and left it at that, simply because I couldn't think of what else to say. She kinda shut up, too and stayed quiet other than to tell me my total. Again, being a smart*ss, my lovely bf decided to kiss me as I came down to help him put the rest of the bags in the cart, making sure she was watching.

The next week when we went in for our shopping trip, we ended up in her line again. She saw us, recognized us, grinned and said, "Ohhh look, it's the couple!" Almost a year later, and we'll still happily wait in the longest line just to go through her line when we get groceries.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have a ton from the customer service side .. but one really sticks out from the customer side..

I'm 37, my boyfriend is 24 and looks quite a bit younger than he is. We were getting groceries one night, and he's bagging everything up while I'm getting ready to pay. He spots his Mountain Dew on the belt and kind of squeals a little and grabs it, opens it, and starts guzzling it. It's about 11:30pm on a Tuesday or something, so I started taunting him and telling him if he didn't slow down he'd be up and hyper all night. Being the smart*ss that he is, he sticks his tongue out at me and goes back to bagging.

The cashier looks at me and laughs and says, "Is he your only child?" I just stared at her a second, looked at my boyfriend who is turning every color in the rainbow trying not to laugh, and finally just lost it laughing. I looked back at her and said, "Umm, he's not my kid" and left it at that, simply because I couldn't think of what else to say. She kinda shut up, too and stayed quiet other than to tell me my total. Again, being a smart*ss, my lovely bf decided to kiss me as I came down to help him put the rest of the bags in the cart, making sure she was watching.

The next week when we went in for our shopping trip, we ended up in her line again. She saw us, recognized us, grinned and said, "Ohhh look, it's the couple!" Almost a year later, and we'll still happily wait in the longest line just to go through her line when we get groceries.
    lol great end to the akward moment;)
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

Apparently math is not required to work a register.

Ummm....why would you want $5.03 back? Just to get a $5 bill?

I can do math as I have worked in finance my entire adult life, but I would still be confused as to why you would want $5.03 back unless it was for the bill.

I must be dumb, too! Aaaaahh!!! :drinker:

I used to work in a grocery store and people would do this to me, too. I'd be so confused. OK, I understand the $5 bill. Very convenient! But about the change part, you gave me 20 cents (TWO coins) so I could give you back 3 cents (THREE coins that don't even work in vending machines). I could understand if you were getting fewer coins to make space in your purse, but I don't get why this part is convenient.

the reason for the 2 dimes: if you were just given the $53.00 you would have given back in change $4.83 if you were given $54.00 then you would have given back in change $5.83 - so this does make sense to give them the 2 dimes to get back a bill and "less" change. I do this all the time, and get the same blank look, but I just say, it's fine, I work at a bank. :wink:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    At the local Wal*Mart (so many good stories there!) I was at the cash register. The cashier tells me the total is $48.17 so I hand her $53.20. She looks at me, then the register and back to me. "But it's $48.17..?" I said I knew that. She looks at me very puzzled as she slowly types in the $53.20 Wala! She seems totally amazed that the change is now $5.03

Apparently math is not required to work a register.

Ummm....why would you want $5.03 back? Just to get a $5 bill?

I can do math as I have worked in finance my entire adult life, but I would still be confused as to why you would want $5.03 back unless it was for the bill.

I must be dumb, too! Aaaaahh!!! :drinker:

I used to work in a grocery store and people would do this to me, too. I'd be so confused. OK, I understand the $5 bill. Very convenient! But about the change part, you gave me 20 cents (TWO coins) so I could give you back 3 cents (THREE coins that don't even work in vending machines). I could understand if you were getting fewer coins to make space in your purse, but I don't get why this part is convenient.

But if they didn't give you the 20 cents with the money, they would have still had the 2 dimes, and now gained 83 cents in new change as well (3 quarters one nickel, and three pennies). It makes prefect sense to me.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty ****ty cashier. Like the people who a few others have complained about I cannot do math at all. I could barely even count money when I graduated highschool in fact, which was pretty embarrassing and though I've gotten better I still prefer to have a calculator nearby to double check, and counting back is something I can't do at all nor have ever learned.
    It's pretty frustrating when a customer will ***** or groan at me for using the calculator when my math skills are as bad as they are. It's like, would you like correct change or not? This is stressful enough. Part of the reason I'll never work in a cashier-only type job, as previously it was only a small facet of my job.

I am also terrible at math. I have the math skills of an 8th grader - and most likely LOWER. I have a difficult time adding and subtracting without full use of my hands. (I'm 31 years old.) I'm currently taking classes to rectify that, but it makes cashier positions absolutely terrifying for me. I can mentally make change if given enough time - usually about 60 to 90 seconds. Most people get very frustrated within that time frame, so in the past, I've always kept a calculator with me when I've had to handle money. They get even more frustrated with the calculator, but I try to reassure them that I'm sure they'd like proper change as opposed to badly calculated change.

I used to get really frustrated with barely literate people. My reading and writing skills are high - I just couldn't understand why people had to spend forever sounding out words and tripping over syllables. And then I entered the real world and found I had a skill just as dismal as I'd felt theirs was. I'm more patient with those people now. Nothing like realizing you've got much the same problem, if only on a different subject, to make you more humble.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    Ugh! Once at Verizon, I came to complain about something with my husband. We look NOTHING alike, yet somehow the clerk asked us if we were brother and sister. I mean, wtf lady? And how does that at all correlate to my cell phone service??
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I used to get really frustrated with barely literate people. My reading and writing skills are high - I just couldn't understand why people had to spend forever sounding out words and tripping over syllables. And then I entered the real world and found I had a skill just as dismal as I'd felt theirs was. I'm more patient with those people now. Nothing like realizing you've got much the same problem, if only on a different subject, to make you more humble.

YES! I'm the exact same way!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    When a cashier can't count back change using their head..

When the customer shouts at me how much their change is before I've even started pulling it out the drawer.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I was going through the local Chicken place drive through and ordered a large chips and gravy and 1 dozen nuggets..... the cashier asked me "How many are a dozen? " :huh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, this is kind of a silly story. But, when I was 24 I was purchasing groceries and the cashier was horrified and then asked me how I got a bank card. It turns out he thought I was 12 or 13. So, the guy bagging the groceries stood up for me by saying that he could clearly see I was at least 16. :blushing:
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Just last week I was at Meijer and this man was in line infront of me. He was screaming at the cashier for not taking his $1 expired coupon. Nearly had her in tears. She was new, holiday help and just kept repeating sorry it's expired I can't. I basically told that *kitten* I would give him a dollar to apologize to her, and get the **** out of the store. He just stood there staring at me, then left in a huff. I saw him at the customer service counter ( likely complaining about her ) so I made sure to leave a compliment about her.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I had the owner of a yarn shop tell me she would never knit a sweater.
  • threasarenee
    threasarenee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I worked as a cashier many years. this last year in a deli. Person: "is your cornedBEEF beef or pork?" ME: Chicken......
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    On the flip side:

When I was a very young woman (~19) I worked for Wendy's...one day a guy came thru the drive-thru ordering "a fur burger with a side of thighs" I complained to my manager, he said I had to serve the guy...I told the guy "you're lucky, if it were up to me you'd not get a thing from us for being rude." he got P.O.'d and left in a squeal of tires...

But, the worse customers, hands down anywhere, were those whom I dealt with when working as an HSI support tech for DSL...nothing quite like being screamed at by people over the phone for 8 hours a day or more...I said a lot of things that never got heard by any living being but my cats, and they don't care. :tongue:
  • kimmieyr1
    Options
    Born and raised in Flint. I can relate to your stories! Been there and done that!
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a crazy cashier, but pretty bizarre.

About fifteen years ago I was in a pizzeria in Spain that I'd been to once or twice and not had any problems with, although I didn't know it very well. Looked at the menu, ordered a garlic pizza. I was raised in the Mediterranean, I love garlic.

Pizza arrived at the table. Took a bite and gagged. Took a bite from the other side in case I just got a bad mouthful. Couldn't swallow it. Asked my mom to try in case my taste buds were acting up (I've had an anorexia-type ED most of my life; during bad phases food tastes weird to me). She spat it out.

Peeled up the cheese on the pizza to find the entire thing covered with raw garlic. Because it was underneath the cheese, it hadn't cooked. Called the waitress back over to say that I couldn't eat it. She called the chef over. They were both like, "Why did you order garlic pizza if you don't like garlic?" Thing is, this was a thin-crust, single-serving pizza - I'd guess 8 inches - and it had probably one garlic on it, sliced into skinny pieces. Not one clove. One entire garlic. Each wedge had about a clove's worth.

Showed the garlic under the cheese to the chef. He looked bewildered. "I wonder how that happened?" he said. Manager came over, I asked him if he wanted to taste the pizza. He did, and immediately grabbed my glass of Coke. :D And then took the pizza away, brought me a margherita for free, and another drink. And ice cream. Mom's pasta was the only thing we had to pay for that day. :)

All in all, good service, but the event was just so odd.