Children throwing tantrums in stores! What??

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    20 pages in and no one even wants to know what kind of crafts they were going to make. I hope that after 45 minutes the dad was able to find the aisle with the Bedazzlers on it and be done already.
  • deadbambi
    Options
    Lol I don't agree with all the stupid people saying "You obviously don't have kids"
    I work in a daycare and deal with children throwing tantrums often.
    They need to be disciplined.
    I'm not saying, "hit your children" but if you "plead" for your kid to stop , it's not going to work.
    I would in NO way let my kids act like that in public.
    So I'm with you on this.
    My kids are excellent and it's because they're disciplined.
    I think the people saying "you obviously don't have kids" Obbviouuusly have issues controlling their own children.
  • fishandricecakes
    Options
    autism.png

I love this - with 3 kids on the autism spectrum shopping can be a nightmare. Luckily because we have preserved and worked through the tantrums the older two managed to behave reasonably well in the supermarket but the youngest still throws a few.

Have you ever thought how hard it must be for that parent with the screaming kid - they probably need to get the shopping done and they know everyone is staring at them and tutting under their breath. I'm used to the 'LOOKS' and the comments and YES if I had any choice I'd rather not be there in the shop either with an over simulated screaming child but hey I need to do my food shop etc . Maybe next time instead of judging asking if they need any help

This. I have had wonderful strangers talk to him and try to distract him from my sons flares, they say funny things, try to cheer him up, etc, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but it's more appreciated than the glares. Some people just have no idea what it's like to have a child who doesn't fit the textbook parenting books.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids and never will. Mostly because I was stuck watching my step sisters when I was young and she was a parent like the OP described and never made them do what SHE wanted them to do and they were demons.

Oh, so you have no clue what you're talking about? DOUBLE IGNORANT. Jesus christ, dude.

I have dealt with kids on a regular basis since I was 10. The ones that never get disciplined rule their households and the parents do what the kids tell them. The house is usually a disaster as well. My friend has twin 3 year old girls that do what they are told. Sure they get loud and fussy but when he puts his foot down they calm down and do what they are told. They act like humans in public and I think they have got about 3 spankings ever. Sounds like you are just an apologetic moron like most of the other posters in this thread. Excuses/excuses.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can't make that statement. You don't know what our childhoods were like. It would be quite difficult to make your children's better.

Sure I can. You encouraged it by attempting to turn this into a contest of who's child turns out better.

If my children have a childhood as good as yours or hers, minus the hitting, I'll be satisfied that it is better. So there's that.

After arguing that if there were no bruises or cuts it must be OK, there isn't really much left for you to say. Unless you feel you can go lower?
    You have confirmed my faith in myself that I am a very good judge of character.

Thank you for that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Another nancy. A spanking never hurt anyone, a beating does. I bet that little sh1t head Adam Lanza never got spanked as a kid either.

N754.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options
    Personally, I don't think spanking a child would have fixed the tantrum. Usually a spanking makes the child cry louder or longer. So it may not have solved the problem.

I agree with this. It wouldn't have been the correct response in this situation.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I would have put my son in timeout calmly at the corner of the store then continued shopping while he was in timeout...
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Growing up I knew a social worker whose children were the most misbehaved, disrespectful kids in town. They were CONSTANTLY getting in trouble with the law and at school. Her son was a first class bully.

Yeah. Her fancy 'education' didn't do her much good when it came to real life application.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    20 pages in and no one even wants to know what kind of crafts they were going to make. I hope that after 45 minutes the dad was able to find the aisle with the Bedazzlers on it and be done already.

ahahahahahahahah

<3!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

pine cone bird feeders....?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

pine cone bird feeders....?

I still need to make those!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with kids on a regular basis since I was 10. The ones that never get disciplined rule their households and the parents do what the kids tell them. The house is usually a disaster as well. My friend has twin 3 year old girls that do what they are told. Sure they get loud and fussy but when he puts his foot down they calm down and do what they are told. They act like humans in public and I think they have got about 3 spankings ever. Sounds like you are just an apologetic moron like most of the other posters in this thread. Excuses/excuses.

You apparently don't know the difference between discipline and hitting. You don't realize that there are a very broad spectrum of discipline responses and you get better results from positive reinforcement than negative reinforcement. Even someone who has learned how to train a dog knows that much.

You may call me a moron, but that doesn't change the fact that you and I both know that you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is uninformed.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You can't make that statement. You don't know what our childhoods were like. It would be quite difficult to make your children's better.

Sure I can. You encouraged it by attempting to turn this into a contest of who's child turns out better.

If my children have a childhood as good as yours or hers, minus the hitting, I'll be satisfied that it is better. So there's that.

After arguing that if there were no bruises or cuts it must be OK, there isn't really much left for you to say. Unless you feel you can go lower?

Thank you for that.

Sorry if my lack of desire to hit little children diminishes me in your eyes. Somehow I think I'll live.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I often entertain clients. I pay a lot of money for time with them; and we deserve the right to enjoy our meal & with the ambiance that is paid for.

One of my favorite memories happened last year. There where 7 of us and after many appetizers we were waiting for our (expensive) entrees.

In comes an idiot with his family....including his spawn. The spawn starts wailing non stop & the parents were oblivious. After a while I called the waitress over and said she had to do something. She said she didnt know what to do. I said shut that kid up or move the people.

The weasel faced dad overheard me and took offense. He gave me a look he couldnt back up, and made a remark I couldnt hear. I got up, walked straight towards his table and you could see he knew he was in trouble. LOL I stared straight at him as I walked by and took the waitress by the arm and told her I wanted the manager, NOW.

I brought the manager to our area (the spawn was still screaming) and I told him I wanted the family moved or he could bring my check and cancel our order. The manager told the people they had to leave, not move, but leave!!

Afterwards we then received a round of drinks from one of the other appreciative tables nearby.

BTW - to the poster who thinks those with college degrees have a better grasp on life - you have proven one can have all the "edge u makation" in the world, and without wisdom, still be a drooling "idjet".
  • rml_16
    Options

Thank you for that.

Sorry if my lack of desire to hit little children diminishes me in your eyes. Somehow I think I'll live.
    :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Hmmm... perhaps he was Christmas shopping and wasn't quite sure what to buy. Hmmm... perhaps the umpteen other people were in the store shopping and the lines were long.

Hmmm... perhaps the OP should have realized that the store is open to the general public and therefore, people are allowed to shop there, even with screaming children.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of patience for parents with kids on planes, in buses, etc. when there's nowhere they can go to calm the screaming child down. But if you're in a store or restaurant, I think it's common courtesy to remove the child from the situation if they can't be calmed down and the noise is going on and on and on.

I'm sure it's not ideal, but having a child is a choice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Thank you for that.

Perhaps it is your judging attitude of others that diminishes you in her eyes. I know it does mine.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Hmmm... perhaps he was Christmas shopping and wasn't quite sure what to buy. Hmmm... perhaps the umpteen other people were in the store shopping and the lines were long.

Hmmm... perhaps the OP should have realized that the store is open to the general public and therefore, people are allowed to shop there, even with screaming children.

Hmmm doesn't get jokes
    Hmmm sequin jeans are serious business to some of us