Why don't you squat?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership. But! I'll bike race you to the top of any hill of your choice. :wink:
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think for a lot of guys who don't squat it falls into 2 categories:

1) It's hard (harder than bench press anyway)
    2) Legs aren't a glamour muscle. A lot of men seem to love to workout chest/abs/biceps as if that's all the ladies like looking at!

Squatting's awesome!

Or bad knees.
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    Was doing a challenge this month, had to stop because my knee couldn't handle the stress or something. Yes I was doing them correctly but I got a lot of weight and the higher in number I got per day the more strain it put on the joint.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I do. My gluteus is maximus!

It is, it really is :flowerforyou:

I need my gluteus to be higherupus.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have trashed knees. No squats for me.

ETA, knees are trashed in part from doing heavy squats, leg presses and walking lunges back in my 'prime'.

And as a 30 yo female at the time, I could squat with much higher than 45 pounds. Just because I COULD did not mean that I SHOULD have.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was assuming he was the baddest mother fcker in his gym.
    He's 19 years old. When I was 19, I probably thought my way to workout was the best/only way in the world too.
  • samerzz16
    Options
    Health problems aside, If you have the ability to squat, it is probably one of the best workouts you could possibly do in my opinion. Obviously in order to get definition in your abs you need to lower your body fat %, but legs are definitely the key to a strong core. I would recommend a squat rack because a smith machine is not natural for your back and can potentially do more harm then good if not used properly. Plus it will force you to stabilize your posture. Though if you want the best of both worlds, then try to use a power rack.

Most people hate to squat because it is time consuming and legs are not the first thing people think about when working out. The norm is upper body only so thats why you see a lot of upside down triangle shaped people at the gym.

For the people that have knee issues, if your gym has a "super squat machine", this eases a lot of tension off your knees and honestly gives you just as great of a leg workout. Try it out if you can.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wonder how many people with "bad knees" would have good knees if they strengthening their leg muscles by doing squats with proper form.

This needs a caveat. This depends entirely on the reason you have bad knees. Squats will do wonders for surrounding musculature, and can help immensely if laxity is the source of knee instability and pain for example. They can't do anything to regenerate lost cartilage though. When that's gone, it's gone. That's when you and your doc start deciding what sort of knee replacement you need, and when.

A caveat of a different type. I have bad knees. In both knees, the patella grinds on the bone when bending. I do not have the groove that the patella is suppose to ride in. This makes me susceptible to patella dislocations and subluxations. I also have cartridge damage in both knees. There is a lot of clicking and popping which can be felt when I bend my knees. I have had two different orthopedic surgeons tell me to never quit moving and to remain active. Once I stop I am doomed. I was afraid to start squatting especially *kitten* to grass deep. However this has made my knees stronger. I recently ran a Marathon and believe that having strong legs from squatting helped made it possible. Proper running form was a big part of it too.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    wonka+go+hard+at+gym.jpg
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    wonka+go+hard+at+gym.jpg
    Eliptical Trainer at 140 spm do for you?

It seems I am an "Extreme Minority" - Gosh! Mummy said I was "unique" (maybe this is what she meant?)
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?
    I, and others, have already mentioned that it would be physically unwise for us to indulge in this particular exercise so whilst I must remain neutral on the judgemental issue implicit in the opening premise, it does occur to me that if you are using this "rack" thing - whatever it is? - then this might be the reason why others aren't.
    Just a thought.
    Do enlighten my woeful state of ignorance, please?

People that attend a commercial gym that have a medical condition that prevents them from squatting are in the extreme minority.

I'll assume the OP also attends the gym on days when they do not require the use of the squat rack for their routine that day.

I don't think I'm the baddest mother f*cker in the gym, I just think a lot of people don't realize how important squatting is to a routine, gets tiring looking at dudes with huge upper bodies and little scrawny chicken legs
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

I don't think I'm the baddest mother f*cker in the gym, I just think a lot of people don't realize how important squatting is to a routine, gets tiring looking at dudes with huge upper bodies and little scrawny chicken legs

I saw this dude at the gym a while back that looked like a carrot. You know, huge up top, tiny down below. And not even the gnarly 'drumstick' look that some bodybuilders get (all QUADZ and no calf/hamstring) This dude's forearms were bigger than his thighs.

Then he went to the squat rack and did speed reps with 3 plates (315lbs.)

Goes to show, you can't judge a book by its hypertrophy.
  • Gettingthin67
    Options
    because we are lazy ****s haha jk, if you want a nice butt just SQUAT !
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I hover.

OMG.... LOL....

(and so do I)
  • Gettingthin67
    Options
    omg i had no idea that MFP was censoring swear words haha so funny

**** **** **** you *****
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member