Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Powerlifting/Olympic lifting vs body building is my guess. =)

Oooh, why yes, he gots it... ; )

Good stuff. I just really don't understand everyone's need for squats and when they do they HAVE to do the best by sitting on their ankles. Even powerlifting wise, its simply where the hip crease passes the knee - no need to go lower :o)

squatc.jpg
    A high bar squat or front squat should be lower than that, but yeah, for the standard low bar back squat that's as far as you need to go.

Body mechanics show this to be true - studies in the Journal Of Applied Sciences backing this up to.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    so what holds you back from squatting?

My chiropractor. My back. :brokenheart: :sad:
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do squats with a barbell but I prefer the smith machine when I want to squat heavy. Otherwise I'd never get the weight up over my head and onto my shoulders.

no power racks/squat racks at your gym huh?

Yes we have a squat rack. See above: I DO squats WITH a barbell. I prefer to use Smith machine when i go really heavy.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do squats with a barbell but I prefer the smith machine when I want to squat heavy. Otherwise I'd never get the weight up over my head and onto my shoulders.

Yes we have a squat rack. See above: I DO squats WITH a barbell. I prefer to use Smith machine when i go really heavy.

See, the part I'm confused with is "getting the weight up over your head.' How is that a problem in a squat rack?
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options

See, the part I'm confused with is "getting the weight up over your head.' How is that a problem in a squat rack?

It only goes waist high. Maybe it's not a typical rack. IDK- I am new to weightlifting since May.
  • wellbert
    Options

It only goes waist high. Maybe it's not a typical rack. IDK- I am new to weightlifting since May.

Thats' weird. Usually there's a tower with a series of hooks you can put the barbell on.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I do squats at the gym only when my husband is there to stand behind me. Otherwise, I get a group of horney guys who line up or sit on all of the machines for the view.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do them 2xs a week on the regular rack! I never really noticed until I read this, but I do think most guys use the smith machine to squat at my gym. Interesting observation. It's pretty hard to spot someone on a squat, so maybe that's why they use the smith rack?...IDK.
  • Telecide
    Telecide Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always hated squats. They hurt my neck and I could never seem to increase the weight I was using. Then I read Starting Strength by Mark Riptoe, which has about sixty pages dedicated to proper squat form. I really enjoy them now, and I'm actually putting more weight on the bar, still less than my bench though.

I've heard they boost your testosterone. Not sure how broey that science is, but I do seem to have a pretty robust workout after my time in the squat rack.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I do them 2xs a week on the regular rack! I never really noticed until I read this, but I do think most guys use the smith machine to squat at my gym. Interesting observation. It's pretty hard to spot someone on a squat, so maybe that's why they use the smith rack?...IDK.

Well, and it's a jillionty times easier to "squat" on the smith machine, since it nearly completely eliminates your stabilizers.
  • zx0810r
    zx0810r Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    herniated disc. and I hit my lower back really hard with deadlifts and other back exercises...squats would destroy it further.

Squatting isn't a requirement for massive legs. It helps, but I can get good growth using leg press, hack squats, etc.

You don't need a spotter on a squat unless you are squatting absolutely massive weight. it can be dumped easily. even without a rack.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Thats' weird. Usually there's a tower with a series of hooks you can put the barbell on.

It's either not a squat rack, or you're missing something. Google image or youtube squat rack.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?
    I, and others, have already mentioned that it would be physically unwise for us to indulge in this particular exercise so whilst I must remain neutral on the judgemental issue implicit in the opening premise, it does occur to me that if you are using this "rack" thing - whatever it is? - then this might be the reason why others aren't.
    Just a thought.
    Do enlighten my woeful state of ignorance, please?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I noticed at my gym I am the only one that does a true barbell squat not with a smith machine but an actual squat rack, and regular 45lb barbell. so what holds you back from squatting?
    I, and others, have already mentioned that it would be physically unwise for us to indulge in this particular exercise so whilst I must remain neutral on the judgemental issue implicit in the opening premise, it does occur to me that if you are using this "rack" thing - whatever it is? - then this might be the reason why others aren't.
    Just a thought.

People that attend a commercial gym that have a medical condition that prevents them from squatting are in the extreme minority.

I'll assume the OP also attends the gym on days when they do not require the use of the squat rack for their routine that day.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Squats are one of my favourites.
  • Hardbody9
    Options
    I squats, it's great for a total lower body workout. :smile:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just a thought.

People that attend a commercial gym that have a medical condition that prevents them from squatting are in the extreme minority.

I'll assume the OP also attends the gym on days when they do not require the use of the squat rack for their routine that day.

I think the OP was assuming he was the baddest mother fcker in his gym.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's either not a squat rack, or you're missing something. Google image or youtube squat rack.
    That search often shows up Power Racks more than actual Squat Racks, so to save the hassle;
    olympic-squat-rack-4090--1184-p.jpg