Why don't you squat?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do squats with a barbell but I prefer the smith machine when I want to squat heavy. Otherwise I'd never get the weight up over my head and onto my shoulders.

no power racks/squat racks at your gym huh?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If done incorrectly you can blow your knees out when squatting. Why do you think form is so important when doing any sort of exercise that involves bending at the knee? And I specifically said EXERCISE so please don't come back and say "Oh OHHHH! I blew my knee out tying my shoe" or some lame *kitten* crap like that to prove a non-existant point.
    Because correctly absorbing the strain through your ankle and knee reduces the strain on your hips.

Two things - firstly, we're assuming here people will do the exercise correctly. I don't think people are going to tell you to do it wrong on purpose.

Secondly, why the *kitten* would I try and claim I blew out my knee tying my shoes?

U jelly brahette?

LOL! Because there are people that would throw snark at me and then claim that they blew out their knee cap doing something really stupid to try and prove an invalid point.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Well, it's bench press day.

We squat on Saturdays. :drinker:

Except this saturday is also BP day *raises eyebrow rather seriously*
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    If done incorrectly you can blow your knees out when squatting. Why do you think form is so important when doing any sort of exercise that involves bending at the knee? And I specifically said EXERCISE so please don't come back and say "Oh OHHHH! I blew my knee out tying my shoe" or some lame *kitten* crap like that to prove a non-existant point.

Why this is so ironic is that exercises like squats actually protect your knees...when done correctly.

I started lifting weights because I was a long distance runner with a small knee problem- they always hurt. Now that i lift, I can run and run and run without knee pain.

Just learn how to do it properly.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    I don't squat when some *kitten* is doing military presses in the squat rack with 95 lbs. Are you kidding me? I think I joined the wrong gym.

hehehehehehehe~!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, another one!

I squat properly *kitten* to the grass style and I do 102.5 kg or 225.5 lbs (5 reps per set) In the New Year I am changing gyms so I don't have to wait ages to use the squat rack...I seem to be the only woman who squats heavy and properly in my gym (there are 3 other men I have seen who have lush bums who I have seen who also do so)

p.s. I have rather large traps which hold the bar rather nicely too... : )
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I hate this topic when everyone has a hard on for squats when you DO NOT have to do them, nor do you have to go heavy.

Sure I can squat 260kg for 8-12 reps but I choose not to. It is not needed for decent legs and anyone who tells you it is, is talking serious guff. If I ever do them I limit it at 140kg (315lb) and go for 15-20 reps, you're legs are used to moving and 8-12 reps IMO isn't enough and usually ends up needing heavier weights than a lot of peoples cores will take, I know I struggle in that area.

If I started out bodybuilding again, I'd ignore deadlifts and squats entirely - building muscle can be done without them and in much safer manner, all of course JUST IMO.

Proof of 260kg squat is here - http://youtu.be/xz9Y18oTjts

Case in point, Shawn Rowden is the same as me, rarely squats and is seen as one of the people to watch for the Mr Olympia title in the next few years:

shawn-rhoden-dallaspro2012.jpg
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    YouTube videos of guys pooping out their guts. I am so friggin scared. AND I have a bad knee. ("I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.")
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Oh lord, another one!

I squat properly *kitten* to the grass style and I do 102.5 kg or 225.5 lbs (5 reps per set) In the New Year I am changing gyms so I don't have to wait ages to use the squat rack...I seem to be the only woman who squats heavy and properly in my gym (there are 3 other men I have seen who have lush bums who I have seen who also do so)

Why would you go A2G?
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i squat on sundays.... you are not there to see!!!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nothing, I do squats at home with an actual barbell.

This.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Oh lord, another one!

Why would you go A2G?

Powerlifting/Olympic lifting vs body building is my guess. =)
  • nexangelus
    Options
    Why would you go A2G?

I am just saying I use proper form in a sarcastic manner I do not literally put my butt to the ground ; ) I have to explain this to an English dude hahahahaha!
  • nexangelus
    Options

Oooh, why yes, he gots it... ; )
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    'cause i use the dumbells so i can go off in my own little corner to bust my @ss
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Good stuff. I just really don't understand everyone's need for squats and when they do they HAVE to do the best by sitting on their ankles. Even powerlifting wise, its simply where the hip crease passes the knee - no need to go lower :o)

squatc.jpg
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    I <3 Squats!
  • wellbert
    Options

Good stuff. I just really don't understand everyone's need for squats and when they do they HAVE to do the best by sitting on their ankles. Even powerlifting wise, its simply where the hip crease passes the knee - no need to go lower :o)

squatc.jpg

I totally agree with that. There's seemingly little point to going past your stretch reflex, and risk losing tension in your ham/glutes at the bottom like that.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

squatc.jpg
    A high bar squat or front squat should be lower than that, but yeah, for the standard low bar back squat that's as far as you need to go.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I do squats...in various forms, legs should width apart toes pointed straight, plie' - legs greater than shoulder width, toes pointed out and legs together toes pointed forward.

I squat until my legs are parallel to the floor; knees never go over my toes.