How many carbs do you eat per day?

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    LOL Just bump your protein way up and try not to eat stupid carbs like sugars and white bread. Food is fuel. Your tank might hold 15 gallons but if you are sticking 15 gallons of milk shake in your car, you will not get very far. People make this far too complicated. Don't eat stupid things you know don't have what you need in them, do save your calories for things that will help you feel full and give you long lasting energy.

^^this^^ Yes, if you stick 15 gallons of milkshake in your car it would be stupid. We could probably simplify foods and not call them stupid?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    BTW, I absolutely *love* the car/human analogy...

...and by "love", I actually mean, "deplore".
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    LOL Just bump your protein way up and try not to eat stupid carbs like sugars and white bread. Food is fuel. Your tank might hold 15 gallons but if you are sticking 15 gallons of milk shake in your car, you will not get very far. People make this far too complicated. Don't eat stupid things you know don't have what you need in them, do save your calories for things that will help you feel full and give you long lasting energy.
    I eat stupid things everyday...................
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Yes, but think of the cows(they'll feel utterly terrible); and the fuel you'd save, and your carbon footprint. . .and yep, I think the analogy is pretty lame, but not stupid. Save stupid for sugar and bread....
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Averaging about 375g/day lately. I love them.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    75 or less most days, about 300 once or twice a week
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    75-100 a day. Maybe 3 times a month 150ish.
    Female, age 55, light exercise.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    150 or less

Some days I will eat high protein and have salads but be < 100 grams
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Less than 50, I think I was under 20 today, while eating cheese cake and other yummy stuff.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Was the cheesecake portion extremely small? Cream cheese on its own is like 1g carb to 1g protein. Adding in sugar and the graham crackers will make it very carby.

Anyway, I currently eat between 100g-150g of carbs a day. This is about as low as I can get it without cutting out fruit and vegetables.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? Anything up to 500 carbs (since weight loss has more to do with calories than carbs). How much I realistically consume? Usually 100-250 depending on what I feel like eating that day. Anything under 100 elevates my blood sugar (weird, I know)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you exercise, then you can eat more carbs, but you probably should eat less carbs on the days you are not very active.

ETA : This is strictly my opinion! :laugh:

That sounds good to me. I also try to eat more protein on the days I exercise.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    100 - 150g most days.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Probably 50-100g on a non-training day. Maybe 250-300g on a training day?

I aim for the lower end of the former and the upper of the latter, but real life often dictates differently (or I'm just crap at judging my macros...)

Protein high on all days though.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Oh god. Who cares? I'm not counting and it doesn't affect my weight.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

It really only matters if you are doing some kind of training that carbs will help with. If they are irrelevant to you and you're seeing great success doing what you are doing, then keep doing it!
  • sm3072
    sm3072 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i eat no more than 135 according to my nutritionist but as i keep track im usually between 80-100g / day. I keep at high protein and high GOOD fats - nuts, avocado,cheese etc. Thats mainly for the calories otherwise i would be at like 800 cal because of the amount of carbs I have cut. The main reason for this is that I am prediabetic and diabetes runs heavily in my family. so in order to lose weight, i have to cut carbs significantly. before i was eating WITH a significant calorie deficit but with 250 g carbs, and lost NO WEIGHt even with 5-6 hours of hard kickboxing and high intensity working out every week. but now i am easily losing 2 pounds a week. so it does matter for prediabetics / diabetics what your calories look like. its not enough to just have less calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat a minimum of 80 and a maximum of 250 because anything outside this range adversely affects my blood sugar.
  • louisefranks
    louisefranks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 60-130g but no more than 45g in one meal as my blood glucose spikes too high. I still lose weight even if I have 120-130g...and barely just keep my BG under control. I prefer to stick under 100g a day to keep the weight reduction going and the BG ok.
  • louisefranks
    louisefranks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You'd care if you were diabetic or pre-diabetic :)