How many carbs do you eat per day?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    LOL.

People don't actually keep track of this, do they?

Question: Can anyone on this protocol say they have kept track of this stuff daily for more than six months?

Strong logic is strong.

314 days and counting. It takes a grand total of 5 minutes for me to weigh out and log per my macros... Would love to see you attempt to hold single digit bf% just purely guessing your intake levels :)

Oh, wait...
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    5-15g, sometimes 20 if I get whipped cream on my break drink.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    At least 200g on workout days, closer to 100g on rest days.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    LOL.

People don't actually keep track of this, do they?

Question: Can anyone on this protocol say they have kept track of this stuff daily for more than six months?

I did before I was a dummy and lied myself into thinking I could eat like a 'normal person' again. Counting carbs works for me. Do I expect it to work for everyone? Nope.

I personally do watch my nutrients, when I'm low on something, I compensate with supplements. Balance is key in my opinion.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Normally under 100. It works for ME.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 150-200 g per day according to my reports. I don't really keep track of carbs, I mostly focus on getting as much protein as possible and staying within my calories. I'm losing weight and seeing physical gains in my workouts, so something seems to be working.
  • BlakeHorton
    BlakeHorton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    this thread is from almost exactly a year ago ..LOL

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…

What this guy said ^^

In a steady caloric deficit, carbs don't matter at all. It's the deficit that matters. If you're regularly consuming less calories than you expend, you will lose weight even if you've eaten all junk food. Of course that's not the healthiest thing to do, but this thread is about losing weight.

Calories are a measurement of energy. Your body can't store fat when it's using 100% of the calories (energy) you eat and then going to backup stores for the remaining energy it needs. If you put gas in your car and drive til empty, the gas is gone. It doesn't matter how good or bad the gas was. It's gone.
    Only when protein is held constant. This statement is a disclaimer because comparing low carb with low fat the low carb does have a TEF advantage.

I think you meant to say carbs have a higher TEF than fats, correct?
    Fat doesn't really effect TEF at all.

Can you provide an example using real world macro numbers explaining how a given persons different macro intakes at the same caloric deficit would affect the amount of weight loss due to different TEF's and by exactly how much? I'm asking this because your previous post is unclear.

Apologies for jumping in. Varying protein is an easier was to show the impact as protein has the highest TEF at about 30%. Carbs are about 10% and fats nearer 3%. They all vary, but these are approximate averages.

Example:

2,000 calories a day with 200 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 1,300 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Protein: 200 x 30% = 60 calories
    Fats: 500 x 3% = 15 calories
    Carbs: 1,300 x 10% = 130 calories
    Total TEF = 205 calories

Compare to:

2,000 calories a day with 1,000 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 500 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Protein: 1,000 x 30% = 300 calories
    Carbs: 500 x 10% = 50 calories
    Total TEF = 365 calories

Difference of 160 calories. You would also have a difference when keeping protein constant and varying fats and carbs - just not as extreme.

While I agree with your math and that a 'calorie' isn't technically a 'calorie', we both know there is no exact BMR either, but that's what we are all using at a point of measure. We know that some days the resting metabolic rate is different than others; one reason being that a persons average macro intake over a period of time is a factor in figuring out their BMR. Even though your example may be a 160 cal difference of actual food intake, to truly arrive at a 160 calorie difference using that example, someone would have to have figured out their BMR based on eating an average of 200 cal protein (50 grams protein on a daily basis) and then one day eat 1,000 cal protein (250 grams protein). Even if that happened, 160 cal would come out to about 1/21 of a pound of weight loss at a deficit; and if a person did that on a daily basis, that would change their BMR; Meaning they would be eating at more of a deficit. So while a person can raise their BMR through different macro intake (whether they realize it or not), it would really be back to calories in vs calories out.

So at the end of the day, there's no exact science for all of this but if someone does a good job at measuring/monitoring their BMR and counting their caloric intake, eating different macros won't result in different numbers on the scale. If someone measured their BMR with an average macro intake from your first example and then changed their average macro intake to your second example without realizing their BMR changed, they can lose an extra pound in about 21 days (if if everything else they measured was perfect).

To be honest I was more or less questioning where neanderthin said low carb has a higher TEF advantage than low fat and said Fat doesn't really effect TEF at all. I wasn't sure what was going on there.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    180 - 220 on my reg. days

600 + on my cheat(binge) days.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of cardio , you need more carbs.

If you just do static heavy lifts or body build and do minimal cardio, you don't need much carbs.

If you are active and on your feet at your job all day, then you will need a bit more carb than your friends sitting at a desk-job.

It all depends on your workout and life style.

I currently do 1 - 3 hours/day, 6 days/week of crossfit, yoga, long steady cardios, and heavy lifts, so I am eating 200g of carb from brown rice / day and even then I feel carb depleted.

Without my binge day of high fat and high carb to keep my sanity, I would have to eat more calories and carb than what I eat now or else it will be hard to sustain for me long term(knowing myself).

Super low carb's not always the way. I say adjust the intake based on your life style and diet.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of cardio , you need more carbs.

If you just do static heavy lifts or body build and do minimal cardio, you don't need much carbs.

If you are active and on your feet at your job all day, then you will need a bit more carb than your friends sitting at a desk-job.

It all depends on your workout and life style.

I currently do 1 - 3 hours/day, 6 days/week of crossfit, yoga, long steady cardios, and heavy lifts, so I am eating 200g of carb from brown rice / day and even then I feel carb depleted.

Without my binge day of high fat and high carb to keep my sanity, I would have to eat more calories and carb than what I eat now or else it will be hard to sustain for me long term(knowing myself).

Super low carb's not always the way. I say adjust the intake based on your life style and diet.

yea seems legit...

I work a desk job, and was lifting 4 hours a week with 0 cardio cutting on 300+ grams carbs and 2500+ cals for a while. Thus, another blanket statement.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…

What this guy said ^^

In a steady caloric deficit, carbs don't matter at all. It's the deficit that matters. If you're regularly consuming less calories than you expend, you will lose weight even if you've eaten all junk food. Of course that's not the healthiest thing to do, but this thread is about losing weight.

Calories are a measurement of energy. Your body can't store fat when it's using 100% of the calories (energy) you eat and then going to backup stores for the remaining energy it needs. If you put gas in your car and drive til empty, the gas is gone. It doesn't matter how good or bad the gas was. It's gone.
    Only when protein is held constant. This statement is a disclaimer because comparing low carb with low fat the low carb does have a TEF advantage.

Can you provide an example using real world macro numbers explaining how a given persons different macro intakes at the same caloric deficit would affect the amount of weight loss due to different TEF's and by exactly how much? I'm asking this because your previous post is unclear.

Apologies for jumping in. Varying protein is an easier was to show the impact as protein has the highest TEF at about 30%. Carbs are about 10% and fats nearer 3%. They all vary, but these are approximate averages.

Example:

2,000 calories a day with 200 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 1,300 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Total TEF = 205 calories

Compare to:

2,000 calories a day with 1,000 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 500 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Total TEF = 365 calories

Difference of 160 calories. You would also have a difference when keeping protein constant and varying fats and carbs - just not as extreme.

While I agree with your math and that a 'calorie' isn't technically a 'calorie', we both know there is no exact BMR either, but that's what we are all using at a point of measure. We know that some days the resting metabolic rate is different than others; one reason being that a persons average macro intake over a period of time is a factor in figuring out their BMR. Even though your example may be a 160 cal difference of actual food intake, to truly arrive at a 160 calorie difference using that example, someone would have to have figured out their BMR based on eating an average of 200 cal protein (50 grams protein on a daily basis) and then one day eat 1,000 cal protein (250 grams protein). Even if that happened, 160 cal would come out to about 1/21 of a pound of weight loss at a deficit; and if a person did that on a daily basis, that would change their BMR; Meaning they would be eating at more of a deficit. So while a person can raise their BMR through different macro intake (whether they realize it or not), it would really be back to calories in vs calories out.

So at the end of the day, there's no exact science for all of this but if someone does a good job at measuring/monitoring their BMR and counting their caloric intake, eating different macros won't result in different numbers on the scale. If someone measured their BMR with an average macro intake from your first example and then changed their average macro intake to your second example without realizing their BMR changed, they can lose an extra pound in about 21 days (if if everything else they measured was perfect).

To be honest I was more or less questioning where neanderthin said low carb has a higher TEF advantage than low fat and said Fat doesn't really effect TEF at all. I wasn't sure what was going on there.

I was just answering your TEF question as you asked for the math, so I am not sure where the BMR commentary came from (TEF is included TDEE btw, not BMR) - I have never claimed a stance contrary to what you are saying - TEF is in calories out, not calories in. As you can see, fat only has a TEF of about 3% and carbs 10% - so the math still is relevant, but as I said, not as extreme.

Unless you go from one extreme to the other, the TEF is unlikely to make an appreciable difference to weight loss. Adherence will make a much bigger difference.
  • BlakeHorton
    BlakeHorton Posts: 29 Member
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Example:

Total TEF = 205 calories

Compare to:

Total TEF = 365 calories

I was just answering your TEF question as you asked for the math, so I am not sure where the BMR commentary came from (TEF is included TDEE btw, not BMR) - I have never claimed a stance contrary to what you are saying - TEF is in calories out, not calories in. As you can see, fat only has a TEF of about 3% and carbs 10% - so the math still is relevant, but as I said, not as extreme.

Unless you go from one extreme to the other, the TEF is unlikely to make an appreciable difference to weight loss. Adherence will make a much bigger difference.

Like I said, I agree with your math. You jumped in the middle of a conversation just trying to be helpful but it also looked like you were saying that macros matter so much when it comes to weight loss.. just because of the thread you were replying to. I was really looking for neanderthin's math because what he wrote didn't make any sense to me. Your math makes sense and you and I are talking about tomatoes and tomotoes right now.

And you're right, TEF is technically part of TDEE but I'm assuming most people here aren't calculating or paying attention to their TEF, including myself. I just figure out how many calories I need to maintain weight and call it my BMR and TEF is part of that.. again assuming most people here are doing the same. Maybe I should have said 'maintenance' instead of BMR.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Between about 150g and 250g depending on the calorie target I have for the day.

This for me too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And you're right, TEF is technically part of TDEE but I'm assuming most people here aren't calculating or paying attention to their TEF, including myself. I just figure out how many calories I need to maintain weight and call it my BMR and TEF is part of that.. again assuming most people here are doing the same. Maybe I should have said 'maintenance' instead of BMR.

Well, and incorrect term usage will lead to confusion too.
    Even in that paragraph above, you seem to swap between terms, that'll get things confused very quickly in a conversation.

BMR is a far cry from maintenance, also called TDEE.

So in your earlier comments where you said BMR, you actually meant TDEE being the correct term, and therefore you were correct in what you were trying to say. Just wrong term to use.

TEF is NOT a part of BMR at all.

BMR + TEF + NEAT + EAT = TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Example:

Total TEF = 205 calories

Compare to:

Total TEF = 365 calories

Like I said, I agree with your math. You jumped in the middle of a conversation just trying to be helpful but it also looked like you were saying that macros matter so much when it comes to weight loss.. just because of the thread you were replying to. I was really looking for neanderthin's math because what he wrote didn't make any sense to me. Your math makes sense and you and I are talking about tomatoes and tomotoes right now.

Got it. From a weight loss perspective, outside getting appropriate macros for protein synthesis, hormonal balance, energy etc, which are indirect and not direct, macros do not have that much impact on weight loss per se, I agree. I also agree that I highly doubt that anyone (or at least many people) actually takes TEF into account in a conscious manner at all, or at least, do not pick their macros based on their TEF above other factors such as preference and energy requirements.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    a lot, carbs are your fuel, I do 2 to 3 hours cardio a day,i need it,
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Goal is 200g but between 150-200g most days
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

What this guy said ^^

The metabolic advantage that is spouted by low carb advocates does have some merit and is based on studies that compared a high protein diet with a high carb diet...... basically comparing 30 to 40% protein to a diet with 12-15% protein and when the high carb diet has a high percentage of refined carbs that are easily digestible. The numbers as Sara alluded to are approx 30% for protein 10% for carbs and 3% for fat, but again this is a common average. If the carbs have a matrix that is highly fiberous like fruit and vegetable the TEF is actually closer to protein in the 20-30% range with refined carbs in the single digits. From that perspective a low carb highly fiberous with obviously more protein the TEF does show up as an advantage whewn comparing to say the SAD diet.........but when protein is held constant and the carbs are a combination of refined and whole the difference is around 10%.......Basically the key to comparing diets is protein content. imo.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Baseline TEF is already accounted for in BMR. Unless we're comparing someone who gets all their calories from pure sugar versus someone who gets all their calories from fat-free raw meat, the differences from baseline are smaller than the error in measuring the caloric content of the food.

And even then, it's not a meaningful difference.