How many carbs do you eat per day?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i try to stay around 80g a day...I read for woman trying to lose weight they should not go over 100g a day.

Where did you read that? It is just not true. I have never been under 100g - often over 200g and have had no issues losing weight.

Mark Sisson at marksdailyapple.com advocates staying just under 100 gr of carbs (men and women) to lose weight. He also advocates being around 150 gr if you are in maintenance. That's what I've been doing for 18 months i.e. I stick to 100 gr of carbs and sometimes bump it up.

Without the context of calorie goals and a person's lifestyle, it's impossible to ascertain the correct number of grams of macronutrients for individual weight loss. 100 grams of carbs is only 400 calories, BTW, which is only 20% of a daily 2000 calorie diet, but is nearly 30% of the calories for a daily 1500 calorie diet. As usual, Mark Sisson gives generic advice that is *bad* advice for many people.

ETA: 250ish carbs per day for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point in my weight loss where I eat whatever I want in small portions.
    I don't count cals, I don't weigh or measure food, or any other of that neurotic crap. I exercise regularly, try to eat clean, stop eating when I'm full, and only drink water.
    Ironically, when I stopped obsessing over what I was eating, I lost more.
    I only have about 10lbs to lose as a short term goal (which I am 3lbs away from). Anything more than that is lovely but I'm not exactly racing to get there.

Counting calories and weighing and measuring food is neurotic crap? Oh rly?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Roughly between 250 - 350 grams per day...
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't track anymore. When I did, I started out aiming for 30-60 carbs per meal not including fiber... until my body started crying foul. Having energy was more important, so I ate back my exercise calories mostly in the form of carbs. I felt tons better and continued to lose weight. What you eat within your calorie budget doesn't affect weight loss, but it will affect everything else.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    According to Mark Sisson of Marks Daily Apple you are in the insidious weight gain zone for carb consumption. Danger Will Robinson, danger.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    According to Mark Sisson of Marks Daily Apple you are in the insidious weight gain zone for carb consumption. Danger Will Robinson, danger.

Lolz!! :laugh:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Lolz!! :laugh:

Indeed, I am a bit concerned...
  • nicole_louise7
    Options
    Ive never really paid attention but just looked...I am looking at 'total carbs' right? If so, I seem to be eating anywhere between 130 and 300g....MFP says my goal is 267 - 302g depending on the day, where do those numbers come from? They seem a little high after reading this thread. PS if you look at my diary, I have really logged for the past week as I have been away. But any input would be great
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread is from almost exactly a year ago ..LOL

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

bahahahahahahahaha

how about marks daily idiocy….geez
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    around 100-150. cheat days 300+
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point in my weight loss where I eat whatever I want in small portions.
    I don't count cals, I don't weigh or measure food, or any other of that neurotic crap. I exercise regularly, try to eat clean, stop eating when I'm full, and only drink water.
    Ironically, when I stopped obsessing over what I was eating, I lost more.
    I only have about 10lbs to lose as a short term goal (which I am 3lbs away from). Anything more than that is lovely but I'm not exactly racing to get there.

oh to be 22 and have it all figured out... haha
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    250g +

And I'm a 22 year old, 112-113 lb female, and still slowly losing fat.

Carb up!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson at marksdailyapple.com advocates staying just under 100 gr of carbs (men and women) to lose weight.

Sisson is an idiot.

Here's what 700g of carbs/day looks like...

george-hincapie.jpg
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson at marksdailyapple.com advocates staying just under 100 gr of carbs (men and women) to lose weight.

Sisson is an idiot.

Here's what 700g of carbs/day looks like...

george-hincapie.jpg

I don't work out as much as the person in the picture does. Sisson may very well be an idiot. I don't know him. He advocates an eating style that's based on his research and that of other "experts" just as every other person who advocates an eating/working out style and claims it is the answer to all problems..

In the end, one must do what is best for one's own body. I function well with less than 150 gr of carbs so I stick to it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    234 grams today. Might end up with more, as I hear some cookies calling my name.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you eat per day and still loose weight? I know everyone is different... I'm just curious. :)

I'm not sure what the max would be that I could eat. I've never tried (and have no desire to) adding more carbs to see how many I can eat w/o gaining.

The amount I eat varies & I never worry about it because my carbs are almost all from vegetables. I've lost a lot & am still losing. Grains make me ache & I don't eat processed foods or sugars for similar reasons.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Between 150g and 400g+. Usually 250-300g. I make sure I hit my protein and fat minimums and then let the rest of the calories fall wherever.

Ultimately, the carbs aren't important to weight loss/gain. It's the total calories.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Maybe around 200- 250 per day. Sometimes less, but not much less.

I am totally pro-Carb, cause they give me the required energy to do what I need to do in the day, including my workouts.

Low carb is for people that are interested in one thing .. losing weight, and nothing else. That's not me .. so I NEVER do low carb.

Carbs are not the devil that some people make them to be.