How many carbs do you eat per day?

Options

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    203 is what I'm suppose to eat.

Would love to meet that. Still working on meeting macros.
  • BlakeHorton
    BlakeHorton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    this thread is from almost exactly a year ago ..LOL

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…

What this guy said ^^

In a steady caloric deficit, carbs don't matter at all. It's the deficit that matters. If you're regularly consuming less calories than you expend, you will lose weight even if you've eaten all junk food. Of course that's not the healthiest thing to do, but this thread is about losing weight.

Calories are a measurement of energy. Your body can't store fat when it's using 100% of the calories (energy) you eat and then going to backup stores for the remaining energy it needs. If you put gas in your car and drive til empty, the gas is gone. It doesn't matter how good or bad the gas was. It's gone.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…

What this guy said ^^

In a steady caloric deficit, carbs don't matter at all. It's the deficit that matters. If you're regularly consuming less calories than you expend, you will lose weight even if you've eaten all junk food. Of course that's not the healthiest thing to do, but this thread is about losing weight.

Calories are a measurement of energy. Your body can't store fat when it's using 100% of the calories (energy) you eat and then going to backup stores for the remaining energy it needs. If you put gas in your car and drive til empty, the gas is gone. It doesn't matter how good or bad the gas was. It's gone.
    Only when protein is held constant. This statement is a disclaimer because comparing low carb with low fat the low carb does have a TEF advantage.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I get as close as I can to the macros MFP sets :) I find that my body is happiest that way, but I don't worry about carbs too much, since they mostly come from healthy sources and I track sugar to keep that under control. I'm more concerned with getting enough protein so I don't get really hungry and eat everything in sight, as well as not getting too much fat because it upsets my stomach.
  • BlakeHorton
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Only when protein is held constant. This statement is a disclaimer because comparing low carb with low fat the low carb does have a TEF advantage.

I think you meant to say carbs have a higher TEF than fats, correct?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Fat doesn't really effect TEF at all.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    At appropriate levels of calories, fat, and protein for my current weight/body composition and weight loss/body composition goals, my carbs fall to about 120 per day. When you consider exercise calories, that can drift up to 150-160 or so. That's when I'm fully on-track, of course.

I know this is a common belief, but I really subscribe to the idea that once you've met an appropriate minimum for fats and proteins, you can consume the rest of your calories in whatever macro ratio you like (of course excluding any medical conditions that might dictate a more specific ratio). If consuming 30 carbs per day works for you and is a way of eating that's pleasant and sustainable for you and allows you to meet your weight loss/gain and training goals, go for it. If that level is 300 carbs per day, then go for that.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point in my weight loss where I eat whatever I want in small portions.
    I don't count cals, I don't weigh or measure food, or any other of that neurotic crap. I exercise regularly, try to eat clean, stop eating when I'm full, and only drink water.
    Ironically, when I stopped obsessing over what I was eating, I lost more.
    I only have about 10lbs to lose as a short term goal (which I am 3lbs away from). Anything more than that is lovely but I'm not exactly racing to get there.

oh to be 22 and have it all figured out... haha

Why are you laughing?

The poster has it figured out.

The question is why you haven't.

Not sure if srs?

I was referring to the part about counting calories & macros being considered neurotic behavior. Considering people have different goals, making a blanket statement like that is rather ignorant.
  • BlakeHorton
    Options
    error
  • BlakeHorton
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Can you provide an example using real world macro numbers explaining how a given persons different macro intakes at the same caloric deficit would affect the amount of weight loss due to different TEF's and by exactly how much? I'm asking this because your previous post is unclear.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat 10-30 grams of carbs a day from fresh veggies and dried spices. I feel great. Full of energy, waking up earlier, not craving sugar all the time. Except a little dehydrated in the morning. I find I have to slurp down a lot of water and not just my customary 'sweeten up my personality' coffee.

Also, stinky breath and stinky pits. It seems that strong mouthwash, toothpaste, and deodorant are necessities for carnivores.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm at the point in my weight loss where I eat whatever I want in small portions.
    I don't count cals, I don't weigh or measure food, or any other of that neurotic crap. I exercise regularly, try to eat clean, stop eating when I'm full, and only drink water.
    I only have about 10lbs to lose as a short term goal (which I am 3lbs away from). Anything more than that is lovely but I'm not exactly racing to get there.

Happens every day on here. Some of our resident experts are first time losers who've never been in maintenance and are mid 20s.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If today goes as planned, I'll end up right around 450g for the day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat 10-30 grams of carbs a day from fresh veggies and dried spices. I feel great. Full of energy, waking up earlier, not craving sugar all the time. Except a little dehydrated in the morning. I find I have to slurp down a lot of water and not just my customary 'sweeten up my personality' coffee.

Also, stinky breath and stinky pits. It seems that strong mouthwash, toothpaste, and deodorant are necessities for carnivores.

Wait, huh?

What was the question again?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Happens every day on here. Some of our resident experts are first time losers who've never been in maintenance and are mid 20s.

Not everything the 20somethings say is incorrect though.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Wait, huh?

What was the question again?

How many carbs do you eat per day to lose weight. If you don't feel great, you aren't going to lose weight and if you eat crap that makes you overly hungry or crave you won't lose or maintain. Or I don't.

I suppose I could have left out the bit about stinky pits. :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What this guy said ^^

Can you provide an example using real world macro numbers explaining how a given persons different macro intakes at the same caloric deficit would affect the amount of weight loss due to different TEF's and by exactly how much? I'm asking this because your previous post is unclear.

Apologies for jumping in. Varying protein is an easier was to show the impact as protein has the highest TEF at about 30%. Carbs are about 10% and fats nearer 3%. They all vary, but these are approximate averages.

Example:

2,000 calories a day with 200 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 1,300 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Protein: 200 x 30% = 60 calories
    Fats: 500 x 3% = 15 calories
    Carbs: 1,300 x 10% = 130 calories
    Total TEF = 205 calories

Compare to:

2,000 calories a day with 1,000 coming from protein, 500 from fat and 500 from carbs would give you a net impact of:
    Protein: 1,000 x 30% = 300 calories
    Fats: 500 x 3% = 15 calories
    Carbs: 500 x 10% = 50 calories
    Total TEF = 365 calories

Difference of 160 calories. You would also have a difference when keeping protein constant and varying fats and carbs - just not as extreme.
  • Jestinia
    Options
    LOL.

People don't actually keep track of this, do they?

Question: Can anyone on this protocol say they have kept track of this stuff daily for more than six months?

I did before I was a dummy and lied myself into thinking I could eat like a 'normal person' again. Counting carbs works for me. Do I expect it to work for everyone? Nope.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LOL.

Question: Can anyone on this protocol say they have kept track of this stuff daily for more than six months?

What protocol?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    LOL.

Um. I've kept track of this stuff daily since April. It's not hard; you put the food in your diary and MFP adds all the stuff up for you. Fairly simple.