Replies

• heretolearn
    Options
    bump
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    this thread is from almost exactly a year ago ..LOL

just remember carbs do not make you lose weight, eating less than you burn does…

What this guy said ^^

In a steady caloric deficit, carbs don't matter at all. It's the deficit that matters. If you're regularly consuming less calories than you expend, you will lose weight even if you've eaten all junk food. Of course that's not the healthiest thing to do, but this thread is about losing weight.

Calories are a measurement of energy. Your body can't store fat when it's using 100% of the calories (energy) you eat and then going to backup stores for the remaining energy it needs. If you put gas in your car and drive til empty, the gas is gone. It doesn't matter how good or bad the gas was. It's gone.
    Only when protein is held constant. This statement is a disclaimer because comparing low carb with low fat the low carb does have a TEF advantage.

I think you meant to say carbs have a higher TEF than fats, correct?
    Fat doesn't really effect TEF at all.

Can you provide an example using real world macro numbers explaining how a given persons different macro intakes at the same caloric deficit would affect the amount of weight loss due to different TEF's and by exactly how much? I'm asking this because your previous post is unclear.
    The metabolic advantage that is spouted by low carb advocates does have some merit and is based on studies that compared a high protein diet with a high carb diet...... basically comparing 30 to 40% protein to a diet with 12-15% protein and when the high carb diet has a high percentage of refined carbs that are easily digestible. The numbers as Sara alluded to are approx 30% for protein 10% for carbs and 3% for fat, but again this is a common average. If the carbs have a matrix that is highly fiberous like fruit and vegetable the TEF is actually closer to protein in the 20-30% range with refined carbs in the single digits. From that perspective a low carb highly fiberous with obviously more protein the TEF does show up as an advantage whewn comparing to say the SAD diet.........but when protein is held constant and the carbs are a combination of refined and whole the difference is around 10%.......Basically the key to comparing diets is protein content. imo.

Could you actually cite a couple of those studies? I would like to look at them.
    Controls are always a problem and as usual take this study with a grain of salt.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2002-021480
  • hey_rey07
    hey_rey07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat 180-205 carbs on a 1350 calorie per day diet. I run 3 times a week, and I don't need to lose any weight.

90% of my carbs come from fruits and vegetables. The rest come from small servings of whole wheat breads, like sandwich slices, buns, or whole wheat tortillas... and one square of chocolate ;) I follow the DASH diet, though not as strictly as it's outlined (ex: I don't do lowfat cheese because it tastes terrible to me), since I'm neither overweight nor have any diseases.

I also do a cheat day (typically only a cheat dinner) once a week where I eat whatever I feel like. Carbs galore.

If your goal is losing weight, then a 80-150/day carb limit is helpful. I know people who do Atkins or Keto and get down to 20 carbs per day limit, but I would be dangerously unhealthy if I did that as I'm already underweight and eat vegetarian most of the week. I like eating fruits, as they have a lot of health benefits and antioxidants, even if they also have a lot of carbs. Running keeps my carbs in check.

If you're already at a weight you prefer and maintaining, I think up to 200 carbs is fine. If you need to lose weight, you should keep it in the 80-150 range and eat low carb fruits and vegetables.
  • Semt3x
    Semt3x Posts: 23
    Options
    Go as high as 400

go as low as 300

carbs arent the devil

overeating is
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    415g / day right now.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you eat per day and still loose weight? I know everyone is different... I'm just curious. :)
    under 100 net carbs to lose weight.
    But if you plan on exercising all the time you need more to exercise but if you wanna lose weight you just dont need many at all.
  • kdiazzi
    kdiazzi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I am at 225 per day and I have lost 20 lbs since dec. carbs are not the enemy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    During my very recent cut, was necessarily low (~130g) to hit my relatively high protein and fat minimums. Now that I'm back at maintenance, it's a much more manageable ~235g...which is awesome, because carbs are delicious.
  • jmcgee0089
    Options
    I'm 25 years old, work out 6 days a week. I weight train all 6 days and do cardio all 6 days as well. If you want to lose weight, carb crunching is a REALLY good way to do it. I have never been overweight but had issues losing some fat around my muscles. I met a bunch of meatheads at the gym and started training with them and within 5 months, I was shredded.

Day 1 should be 100g of carbs & your protein intake should be 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Low to no sodium thoughout your day and drink lots of water

Day 2 should be 200g of carbs. Everything above stays the same

Day 3 should be 300g of carbs. Everything above stays the same

Day 4 you need to drop back down to 100g of carbs.

Your 100g carb days will be tough but you will see fast results that way. My friends and I all compete and most bodybuilders will follow this diet leading up to a competition.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Refined processed carbohydrates are a major cause of weight gain, obesity, insulin resistance, heart disease, and many other diet related diseases."

Over-eating is the major cause of weight gain, obesity, insulin resistance, heart disease, and many other diet related diseases.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my bodyweight in protein(and I try to do it in whole foods first before reaching for a protein shake)...and let me tell you it's HARD as heck for me! I usually am not hungry by the time I get close to hitting that number and whenever my protein is high my carbs are usually low. So eating lots of protein usually takes care of the carbs for me.. I notice I hover between 80-150 carbs. But Again, I really don't track carbs. I just get my protein in and carbs usually fall into place by themselves. I.E today for lunch I ate 1/2 pound of buffalo meat (I love meat, and my neanderthal percentage is high via DNA test on 23andme...lol, so I'll use that as my excuse for my high meat consumption! )and I had one of those hawaiian sweet rolls to go with it. After I ate my meat, I Just could not touch the roll..so I will save it for tomorrow. Thus my carbs will probably be on the low end today. But it just depends. Again, closer I hit to getting my bodyweight in protein the less hungry I am, and the less carbs I eat. If tomorrow I get less protein in, I'll probably eat more carbs.
  • uchube
    uchube Posts: 44
    Options
    i try to stay around 80g a day...I read for woman trying to lose weight they should not go over 100g a day.

false.

and I quote ~~

"Carbs per day for weight loss

The number of carbs per day for weight loss ranges from from 20 to 50 or sometimes up to 70 grams. However, 70 grams daily is usually only for those who are engaging in weight training in addition to cardio exercise. The usual low carbohydrate range is 20 to 60 grams daily. You determine how strict you need to be; the best way is to experiment and discover what amount works well for you as an individual.

Refined processed carbohydrates are a major cause of weight gain, obesity, insulin resistance, heart disease, and many other diet related diseases."

To clarify, the main causes of insulin resistance, heart disease, and many other diet related diseases is obesity. There is a correlation between high refined carb intake and weight gain - not a causation. If you are at a caloric deficit, this is not a issue. Some people find it easier to stay at a caloric deficit to stay low carb, but it is by no means necessary.

You are quoting a low carb diet. You can absolutely lose weight with moderate/high carbs and even include refined processed carbs. From a health perspective, you should ensure that you have a balanced nutrient diet of course.

Out of interest, where is this quote from?

ugh. context is everything, you know. I was diagnosed with full blown insulin resistance (and pcos) and placed on metformin, and i was borderline Underweight. If I need to lose weight, it only happens with carb cutting below 50g, preferable less than 25 net on a consistent basis. Your blanket statement is untrue for many, many people, and I assure you not all are obese or perhaps even particularly overweight. I am only 10lbs over my ideal weight (the weight where my periods are regular, just under bmi 20) and again, I cut carbs and the result is magic, in how I feel and the results i get. a Calorie is not a calorie for anyone with insulin issues.
  • trever240z
    Options
    Currently consuming anywhere from 750g - 775g of carbs a day.
  • ITZ_NIKEL
    ITZ_NIKEL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is this a low car and high carb day? Do you have to lower your fat intake too?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    DAMN! That's a lot!
    I usually consume 350 - 500g per day.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you exercise, then you can eat more carbs, but you probably should eat less carbs on the days you are not very active.

ETA : This is strictly my opinion! :laugh:
  • luke6019
    luke6019 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since the first of the year I have followed a nutrition plan where I consume no more grams of carbs than my body weight in pounds (152# = 152 grams carbs). I consume twice my lean body mass in grams of protein (LMB 60 kg = 120 grams protein). It has worked well for me. I have lost ~4.5" around my middle and have toned up considerably. I try to work out 45 minutes 6 times a week alternating kickboxing with strength training.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

attachment.php?attachmentid=35276&d=1384135732
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    LOL Just bump your protein way up and try not to eat stupid carbs like sugars and white bread. Food is fuel. Your tank might hold 15 gallons but if you are sticking 15 gallons of milk shake in your car, you will not get very far. People make this far too complicated. Don't eat stupid things you know don't have what you need in them, do save your calories for things that will help you feel full and give you long lasting energy.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    LOL@"stupid carbs" and "stupid things".

TIL that some of my favorite foods are stupid.

:laugh: