The most polite insult you've recieved? redone

Options

Replies

• brittshea9
    brittshea9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I worked in cosmetics for about 8 years and I used to get "You just have the prettiest face" all the time. I took that as somewhat of a backhanded compliment because to me, they were basically saying my face was pretty but my body wasn't.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    LMAO...people are just crazy sometimes.

Get this. I go to this little convience store all the time. I have had many conversations with the guy at the counter. Now, I know I go around in shorts and t-shirts, hair brushed but not fixed up, no makeup--very laid back. One night my hubby who worked out of town was coming home. I decided to get dressed up with fixed hair, makeup, very flattering shirt and good fitting jeans. I ran to this little store after getting dressed to buy a 12 pack of beer. This same guy I see all the time and talks to started flirting with me. He's young and checking me out and took my id and read my name and address and was like "Your from here???" OMG. lol.

I guess a little makeup and effort made a huge transformation from my day look!!! lol
  • ELENA_Z
    ELENA_Z Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have 2!! Check this...

1. So I sang at my grandmother's funeral. Afterwards, the minister came up to me and said "wow, you have a beautiful voice! You were like Susan Boyle, I just didn't expect that voice out of you."
    ---um, thanks?
    2. My SIL after I'd lost 60lbs...you're doing good, but you'll really be able to tell once you hit 100.
    ---seriously...that REALLy hurt my feelings! I felt so good about my weight loss and then someone rips the carpet from under your feet.

Ugh!!!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    and, even if a guy is trying to be polite, this happened last week at work. "Excuse me Ma'am." Do I look like I am old enough to be called Ma'am?!

In some places any adult, even one who's in late teens will be addressed by strangers as ma'am or sir. It is polite.

Even in my early 20's I got called "maam." And I have always looked young for my age.
  • susiepet
    Options
    Oooh - the time my ex-boss said - if you lost five stone I'd take you on a date (on two separate occasions)
    me - the second time, when I'd had a chance to think of a reply - OK I'll diet - why don't you try to improve your IQ to half mine while I do that?
    Him - very insulted.

Forward five years - when I bumped into him at a conference and coincidentally was much lighter...

Him - well I see you lost the weight so how about dinner?
    Me - darling, I really don't think so - you've obviously not kept your half of the bargain

Fortunately not a man who could still influence my career!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Just last month, I ran into one of my wife's coworkers who hadn't seen me in six months. I'd lost almost 60 lbs since she'd seen me last, and she said:

"There's something really different about you, but I can't put my finger on it... Did you take a shower?"
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    "Well bless your heart"....I'm dont have rosetta stone but i think that's southern for something really mean
  • TheSwollMinister
    TheSwollMinister Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    "You kiss like my future ex-boyfriend."

I had to think about that one for a minute....
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    "You kiss like my future ex-boyfriend."

I had to think about that one for a minute....

Haha! That's hilarious!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    My favorite has always been "But you have such a pretty face." The implication being that the rest of you is god-awful. Well gee, thank you.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    "You'd be so attractive if you were a man."

I'd like to say it was a stranger but it was family...
  • fattofit84
    Options
    Wow uve lost weight ur only a lttle fat now! -wow thanx ?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    My mother never really SAYS anything, but she doesn't think twice about laughing and grabbing hold to a fat roll (even a small one) to indicate that she noticed it which in turn brings it to the attention of every one else.

ETA: oops, I guess this doesn't count here as it really isn't "polite" AT ALL. Though she once told me when I was younger and actually thin, "if your top would match your bottom, you'd have it made".
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was getting out of my car and walking towards the gym a year or so ago and a guy in the parking lot started talking to me trying to flirt, then he said "what are you doing at the gym? you look great the way you are. BBW is sexy."

:explode:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    "You'd be so attractive if you were a man."

I'd like to say it was a stranger but it was family...

I get that all the time too.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    Have you been sick????
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was a late bloomer I guess so it wasn't til college that *poof* I got hips and a butt. I don't have any grandparents anymore, but we have a very close family friend who has to be pushing 95. She's the cutest lil thing and I love her dearly, but being Italian she's pretty straight shooting. When I came home from school to see her, the first thing she said was, "Finally, you look like a girl now!"
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    you could be a model!...from the neck up.(g,thanx..i think?)
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    ''Can I see your ID?''
    ''Sure! Thanks for carding me, you totally made my night!''
    *looks at ID*
    ''Oh wow, I thought you were 23, I never would have guessed you were THAT old.''
    Seriously?!?! Since when is 29 old!?!:sad: