fast food

Options

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    My achilles heel is a double bacon deluxe from Culver's.
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lol.... This entire thread is so silly... But gave me a good read
    before my Ambien kicks in. Thanks!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    To borrow a line out of an 1980's era movie: "Fast food, it speeds your way to the grave!!!" On July 1, 2011, my eating fast food almost killed me.

That is why I have stayed away from that junk ever since.

unfortunately for many people it takes such a wake up call. it's a shame. glad you made it though! ;)
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    lol.

don't eat at chain restaurants. the tgi thing was my son went to the store picked it out and cooked it for me when I was sick and no pizza hut. makes me sick. went to a mom and pops pizza place where they make everything and just tracked a high calorie slice of pizza. yea.. i'll never go to arbies again first and last time. ate about half a sandwich.. french dip i think and I was sick from it. Chinese food. I order a pint of something and it lasts me 3 meals. that's my boyfriends vice.. not mine, but i eat it with him.

I'm looking at the *health* of it.. not the calories. The 500 calorie salad isn't 500 calories because it's loaded with healthy stuff. It's loaded with garbage and chemicals and that's the reason you can't lose weight. not because of it's calorie content. I'm usually looking for higher calorie stuff, because I don't eat enough, that's why i track everything. I find it funny that people say oh i can't lose weight and i feel so crappy, then they go hit a drive though. Everyone knows how bad it is for you.. then why do it and if you do it why complain ?

Just because you have enough calories saved up to eat something so bad for you doesn't make it right or good. Food, especially fast food, is so chock full of crap. It does make me mad, and I can't understand why people defend it.

Subway makes me sick too.

Yea, I eat way too much fast food...I have gone from eating it, to eating REALLY clean, then back to it...and I KNOW the way eating at fast food places makes me feel (gross, run down, lethargic, bloated). I still end up eating it...some weeks way more often than not, unfortunately. BUT I KNOW THAT WHEN I EAT IT, HOW IT IS GOING TO MAKE ME FEEL. Although, I will eat McD's fruit and maple oatmeal, as well as their apple slices, on a regular basis. It is pretty tasty and they don't make me feel crappy after I eat it.

I think you are right, there are a lot of people that will say "i don't know why i am feeling so crappy, or not losing weight...I eat salads, even though they're at fast food places, they are salads!!"

If you go to the fast food websites and restaurants to look up the calories and ingredients in the salads, they ARE NOT the same healthy salads that can equal 500 or so calories we may make for ourselves. BUT, that does not mean that some people aren't educated and know how to "healthify" their fast food salads...so for those who do it, and are successful- GREAT!!! :) But, what I was noticing before, when I first started weight stuff years ago (and successfully lost weight, then gained during pregnancy) was that I would go somewhere fast food or at a restaurant and order a salad instead of a burger, or something....then I said the same thing-Why am I not losing any weight? Well, come to find out, the salads I was ordering were loaded with fats, sodium, sugars, etc...and most of the time were very close in the macros of a freaking big mac or something...it was depressing. lol A lot of people think just because the word "salad" is in it, it is automatically "healthy." There is a huge difference between the health factors in a taco salad versus a full on vegetable salad. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how people can eat fast food!...
    Because I'm not orthorexic (Google orthorexia) and once in a while there's nothing like a Double Whopper with cheese, or a chili cheese dog from Der Weinerschnitzel, or a big, fat carne asada burrito from the local *to's (Roberto's, Humberto's, Alberto's, etc.) taco shop. Note the usage of the phrase "once in a while" in the above sentence - as SideSteel is fond of saying, "it depends upon dosage and context".

Also, for anybody who is of the mind that a fast food meal throws your body into a flaming death spiral of fat gain, heart disease and all kinds of maladies from which you'll never recover, here's an interesting study which may put your mind at ease a bit:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    thank you..
    That was what I meant by the salad comment. usually salads at those places are just full of crap, they are not healthy.
    I don't really agree that you can healhitfy fast food anything.. i guess if you can i'll just have to take your word for it.
    I have a lot of like-minded friends, so it boggles my mind when they go to those places and then complain about it, i mean come on.. this isn't rocket science. It's no secret what crappy food like this does to you. It's a shame that people need a wake up call to change their habits. lol my doctor would probably be happy if I went and got a whopper every so often, I'd certainly reach the caloric intake goals they want me at. .. but i just can't do it. doesn't even taste good.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Yummy McD's fries! Just stole some of my kid's tonight while eating my Holiday Pie from them. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Weird, you had Pizza Hut Sausage and Pepperoni a few days ago. They have a drive through - so isn't that fast food? Get over yourself.

This is funny! Actually at least two days of Pizza Hut!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I don't really agree that you can healhitfy fast food anything.. i guess if you can i'll just have to take your word for it...
    But that wasn't my contention - hence the reference to orthorexia. I'm not claiming that a fast food diet is "healthy". What I'm saying is that I'm not obsessed with everything I put in my mouth being organic, additive-free, no-added-anything with unicorns circling it and rainbows pouring out of it. I'm perfectly okay with enjoying some less-than-perfect stuff in moderation without worrying about whether it's "healthy". It's kinda the same way I can go out and enjoy a round of golf without feeling like I should be doing cardio or lifting weights instead because they'd be "healthier" for me.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Well that was to the poster before you. but it's ok. I'm not obsessed over it either. Just getting tired of hearing .. oh i feel like crap and i can't lose weight.. lets go to Mickey Ds for dinner again. Ick.

I don't eat completley clean. which has been raked all over this post, obviously. But it's really not hard to make better choices and it can be just as quick. or make the bad choice, but don't whine about it?

If I eat fried chicken. I get sick, but I knew that going in, so your not going to hear me complain about it. Usually when i eat fried anything I've fried it without oil in an oil-less fryer because it's the oil that does it to me.

I guess I really have a hard time grasping it because I grew up eating fresh whole organic foods.. so it's just part of who I am. Even my son doesn't really like fast foods and doesn't ask to go.

I just don't get it.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well that was to the poster before you. but it's ok. I'm not obsessed over it either. Just getting tired of hearing .. oh i feel like crap and i can't lose weight.. lets go to Mickey Ds for dinner again. Ick.

I don't eat completley clean. which has been raked all over this post, obviously. But it's really not hard to make better choices and it can be just as quick. or make the bad choice, but don't whine about it?

If I eat fried chicken. I get sick, but I knew that going in, so your not going to hear me complain about it. Usually when i eat fried anything I've fried it without oil in an oil-less fryer because it's the oil that does it to me.

I guess I really have a hard time grasping it because I grew up eating fresh whole organic foods.. so it's just part of who I am. Even my son doesn't really like fast foods and doesn't ask to go.

I just don't get it.

You know what I just don't get? Why you would put up a topic like this and fail to keep your food diary private. It would make you look a lot less like a hypocrite. Nothing about your food diary screams "super healthy" to me.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    orly? This post is making me irrationally upset.

Are you saying fast food makes people fat? Calories In = Calories Out. Any rookie knows that.

Maybe what OP is saying is fresh organic food is much better than fast food. Must be nice to be able to afford such food. Let me go drop $10 on this healthy lettuce. I'll make sure not to add anything to it lest I add any extra calories and suddenly make it unhealthy according to OP.

Please go back to the high horse you came from.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Everything and anything in moderation. I'm not too good for fast food on the rare occasion.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Are you saying fast food makes people fat? Calories In = Calories Out. Any rookie knows that.

Maybe what OP is saying is fresh organic food is much better than fast food. Must be nice to be able to afford such food. Let me go drop $10 on this healthy lettuce. I'll make sure not to add anything to it lest I add any extra calories and suddenly make it unhealthy according to OP.

and you go crawl back under that rock you've been living under. you don't need to eat organic to do better than fast food. lol
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

and you go crawl back under that rock you've been living under. you don't need to eat organic to do better than fast food. lol

Huh? But, OP says I gotta eat organic foods? Don't I have to do what she says because she's ranting about other people on a public forum, shaming them into feeling bad for eating McDonald's? I just want to be as great and healthy as OP and throw up every time I eat something unhealthy. That way I will never eat at Arby's again!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat it but.. Arby's beef n cheddar/curly fries or Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich/chocolate frosty <3

This. No apologies either. I used to eat out 4 or 5 times a week, now once or less. But dammint if an occasional big mac ain't tasty. Don't care if it is kangaroo meat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat it but.. Arby's beef n cheddar/curly fries or Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich/chocolate frosty <3

This. No apologies either. I used to eat out 4 or 5 times a week, now once or less. But dammint if an occasional big mac ain't tasty. Don't care if it is kangaroo meat.

Kangaroo meat is actually pretty healthy for you...
  • CoachReddy
    Options

haha truth! if only it were kangaroo meat and not cow entrails... :wink:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    ~~~
    However, come on guys, give her a break. She's a pro.....she has lost 20 lbs here.
    ~~~
    You're kidding right? I've lost a lot more than that. but hey.. I'll give you a break you couldn't have known. I've also done a ton of research on foods for issues unrelated to myself. Not a pro, or anything like it. Just informed. and a bit frustrated with people who do eat like that and then complain about the consequences.

~~~
    You know what I just don't get? Why you would put up a topic like this and fail to keep your food diary private. It would make you look a lot less like a hypocrite. Nothing about your food diary screams "super healthy" to me.
    ~~~~
    Thanks.. i didn't know I could change it. I didn't set this account up initially. It's private now. :~)

~~
    ~~
    I said it's very unhealthy. And it is. and if you want to lose weight or be healthy, it's the reason you are not able to.

~~
    I just want to be as great and healthy as OP and throw up every time I eat something unhealthy.
    ~~
    It does suck. But it's good because it means I've trained my body to expect good healthy foods. So i'm ok with it. I did it to myself no matter how you slice it. No complaints. I either pass on dinner or deal with the consequences.

I have strong opinions on food. If that means I'm on a high horse then whatever. Eating organic isn't the only way to eat healthy. I get that your comment is mostly said in jest, but you really should think about what in the food you eat. I read labels. it's scary what in some of this stuff. I bought cliff bars because they are natural, I don't really like them but i'm trying to follow doctors orders and have it be something i can stomach. Its amazing how many people took offense to me stating the obvious about fast food. It's less about calories and more about the crap and junk it's made out of or prepared with. I guess that's why so many of them stay in business. It's like sugar.. if you eat sugar you crave sugar. If you eat fast food you crave it?
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

haha truth! if only it were kangaroo meat and not cow entrails... :wink:

Well this cattle farmer ain't scared. :laugh:
    Btw cow tongue is good, too.