WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Drat! Ditto on the "just lost everything I typed" post above. I know if I typed in a WP program and pasted it here I wouldn't have the problem. I also know if I could just keep my cotton-picking pinkie of the "control" key then also would I be free of the disappearing post problem.

Oh well, it was basically just a boring run down of all the work I'd been doing to keep me off of here since last Tuesday (?? I think). And a very nicely phrased compliment and thank you to :love: :flowerforyou: Cindy :flowerforyou: who is my inspiration and role model when it comes to changing my "if I ignore it long enough maybe hubby will do it" (HA!:laugh: ) approach to housekeeping. Anyway, suffice it to say I have been busy. Trying to get myself on a regular weekly cleaning schedule. Dust & vacuum 2nd floor and do laundry on Monday, Dust & vacuum 1st floor on Tuesday, Dust and vacuum basement on Wednesday AM (play pitch on Weds afternoon), Bible study, errand running and shopping day on Thursday, clean bathrooms and laundry room on Friday, yard work on Saturday, R&R on Sunday! Of course then I have to work in doing the checkbook and paying bills, going to church, volunteer work, cooking and cleaning the kitchen, daily devotions,daily journaling, reading posts and my OA literature...and recreational reading...can't forget to have a little fun once in awhile!, puzzles, logging calories and blogging, exercise, dentist and doctor appointments, etc. etc. etc. I'm exhausted just typing about it. But, I'm on my second week of the "new and improved" housekeeping and boy does it feel good. First, I'm getting lots of exercise! Second, the house is just so much more pleasant. So Cindy, thank you for being such an inspiration to me!!

I confess to not having read all the posts. I extend a warm and heartfelt :heart: welcome to all "newbies". To everyone else, I will try to catch up on the posts tomorrow (and stay up to dateonce I catch up). Weigh-in wasn't great--went up two-tenths of a pound. I've been so darn hungry in the evenings so maybe I need to have a few more calories at meals on my heavy housework days.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good week. Talk at you all later! :yawn: :heart: Terri:heart:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ...Do you have a ****'s in your part of SC? We went there and tried it out but then ordered it straight from the company because it turned out to be cheaper that way but then my husband and son had to do the set up themselves (hubby is a maintenance man by trade).

I'm simmering chicken thighs in marinara sauce. We will have that and some grilled veggies for lunch.

But first off to the shower for me.

BBL

Cindy

Okay, I'm editing this because this site won't let me post the name of the sporting goods store. The name of the store is the shortened version of Richard.(D*cks)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!
    I am new to the board. I am 53 and weigh 178. ......
    My daughter is getting married in May in Denver and i need to be gorgeous!

ps I am another Barbara

Hi "another Barbara":wink: I can identify. My son is getting married in June and I need to be gorgeous too! :wink:

Love to hear from you some more. You can make friends here. We support each other.

Welcome to you:flowerforyou:

Rebel
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have had a very busy day, and tomorrow looks like it could be busier. We are going camping with the family Thursday through Sunday. There will be 20 of us there for our annual spring campout. I have the menu planned and pre-logged in my food diary, and I'm packing groceries now. I will try to pop in tomorrow, but then you won't here from me for the rest of the week. Everyone stay well and focused, and try to enjoy the arrival of warmer weather (I hope)! Here's to smart choices!
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Back from my long weekend - didn't gain, didn't lose. I'll take that as success, all things considered. Had a tiny piece of birthday cake and a few other things I probably shouldn't have, so I consider myself lucky. Today I got back at it and did 5 miles on the treadmill and did the circuit of machines at the gym.

Then I got in the garden and planted 6 tomatoes and a couple peppers. I have 6 8x4 raised beds that dh made for me and I'm going to fill them up with goodies. It's been a cold winter for the area this year but I couldn't stand to wait any longer. The sooner I sink my teeth into a fresh tomato the better! They are ridiculously expensive right now, as we all know, and taste a lot like cardboard too.:grumble:

I came up with a great lunch today that was really filling. A small can of tuna drained (3 oz when drained) , half a sweet onion, half a colored bell pepper, 2 chopped slices sweet pickle, 2 or 3 tbs fat free Greek yogurt, half a dozen cherry tomatoes,1 Arnold Select sandwich thins (100 calories each). Chop everything up, add the yogurt and whatever spices you like and you have enough filling to MOUND on each bread half and have some left over. Yes, I ate the rest with a spoon.:bigsmile: The whole thing was 255 calories and kept me full all afternoon. I had never thought of using yogurt to replace mayo until today. It worked out great - I like tangy.

I'm loving this site. I just know success is at hand! I'm taking my sleep self off to bed. Night all. :yawn:

Faye
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Well, I did get a crock pot today. I got a Rival 5.5qt one. It's white ceramic, it has a timer. It doesn't have a locking lid, however, if I need to take the crock pot somewhere with me, what I can do is use a bunjee cord to hold the lid on. One thing was that I made a mistake -- I bought it at Kohl's here b/c it was on sale. However, by the time I paid the sales tax, it would have been cheaper from amazon (but only by about $2).

Didn't do too well on the calories today, was over by about 100. Well, I don't add in my exercise so hopefully, that'll save me. What I should have done was logged my food BEFORE I ate dinner. Too little too late -- the story of my life. I have had 96oz of water so far, tho

Welcome Debbie (life after 40), congrats on the quitting smoking! I've found that when I journal my food, sometimes I'm really surprised at how many calories are in what I thought was a good food or how much sodium.

kackie - I ran the recipe thru my Mastercook. Each muffin has 58 calories (0 points if you're counting points on WW)

barbiecat - one of the things that I like about doing a DVD at home is the fact that I can exercise even in my underwear if I'm hot. I can take my pants off (I've done that) to do my yoga.

I went to the store today (after taking a cake that I'd made for this guy at the Y's birthday) (Mon). There were shorts that were on sale 70% off. Only the smallest size they had was an 8 <boo> At first I was going to get them, but the more I wore them in the fitting room, the more I was afraid that they'd fall down on me so I didn't get them. Guess I really need the petite sizes. I know for shirts (especially sleeveless ones) I definitely need a petite. They did have a nice shirt that would have matched. So far today (Mon) I've had 120oz and did 1 hr of a band DVD. I was so excited when it came that I HAD to do it. The one thing I do wish is that I had a mirror to see my form. So what I might do is write down the sequence of the exercises and then do it at the Y.

Mary - that's just wonderful! I'm so happy for you. To be obese and not morbedly obese, that is just wonderful!!!

Laura - The chocolate bran muffin, I'm assuming you're referring to: calories: 58, fat 2, sodium 3, potassium 133, carb 16, fiber 4, protein 4

Welcome Suzanita

Well, it's Mon night. I decided to have Progresso Light soup for dinner. I'm astounded at how much sodium is in it! that's probably going to be the last time I eat it! I'm sure I'll reflect a weight gain tomorrow on the Wii, but I also know that it's just the sodium.

About the saga of the Y Board -- we had a Board meeting today (Tues), I handed back the papers of the people that evidentally I was supposed to call to get a pledge from. I told the guy who is head of this Children's Fund campaign that I was never told that I was expected to call people asking for money, that fund raising isn't my strong point, fitness and nutrition are. Hey, I was the sec'y of a non-profit and I never got involved with the fundraising so I had no reason to believe that I would be expected to fund raise. Well, I get a note telling me that they need to discuss my continued involvement with this Board, that most non-profits have committees for fundraising. Well, I'm not willing to fundraise and if that's all I'm good for, maybe I should leave. Nothing has been done about any suggestion that I've made about fitness and nutrition, I've suggested things that don't even cost a cent, and they STILL haven't been acted upon. But I know me, and sometimes I can get emotional, which isn't always good, so I need to calm down, get my thoughts in line.

Barb - which chocolate factory do you work at? dh retired from Mars, Inc.

Surprisingly, according to the Wii, I didn't gain nor lose any weight. Well, we're going to friends house tomorrow, it's her birthday but she's having a St. Patrick's Day party. I'm going to take 2 loaves of Irish Soda Bread and some of these Spinach Bacon Tartlets with me. I've never made Soda Bread before. The recipe called for raisins, but dh asked me not to put them in so I didn't. Whenever I make something new, I put a little in a cup for me and bake that. Really, I should have put the raisins in, so I'm planning to take a tub of butter with me.

dd#1 just called. She works for Banfield, and a dog bit her ear. She has to have surgery tomorrow (Wed.) Wish she lived closer. Don't know what time the surgery is planned for.

I'm thinking that I'll do the deep water workout tomorrow. Did some spinning today. I went to the Y after the Board meeting, but really, I prefer to do my own workout. Anyway, after the deep water, I'll stop at this one store and get what they have on sale, drop things off at the Salvation Army and the food pantry, then go to CVS.

Welcome ANOTHER Barbara!

Mary - have fun camping!

Michele
  • constancemwj
    Options
    hi all,,
    weighin this morning and I was down 1 pound from last week:bigsmile: so happy so I worked out hard on the treadmill tonight for almost 2 hours while I watched Biggest Looser (I love that show)

Laura good luck on your trip,,, I get to join you the challenge. Next week is spring break.. So I leave Saturday for New Mexico and Texas...a whole week of visiting family... I've never gone and came back without gaining something... so this trip I've set some rules and pledged to exercise almost everyday....even if its just to find a park to walk around... I hoping to come home without bring any extra pounds with me this trip.....I'm taking my laptop so I can log in everyday still. and try not to eat out to much......lol

Faye I like to take the yogurt, tuna and what ever fresh veggies I have in the fridge to dice up mix it all together and then take a bell pepper slice it in half and stuff it Its one of my favorate lunches for the summer time....I've never tried it as a sandwich but I bet that would be good too.

Well its late so I got to go I'm already past bed time once again:ohwell:

Connie
    180500.png
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group but look forward to the accountability.

I will be 50 in about 4wks. So, I hope it's okay to join in.

My weight increased to a whopping 236 lbs, when it dawned on me that something had to give. Pounds...being the number one choice.

I've never been this heavy and could not figure out how I'd gotten here. I knew medications could have been a culprit...but then it also was pain that stopped me from exercising.

But I have been doing it the MFP way and trying to stay motivated. It has been a little depressing not to see significant weight loss with all of the increase in exercise (while I can exercise). Medical condition prohibits me sometimes for months at a time. But I am having a "good season" right now and would like to get down another 25lbs, at least, before any flare ups occur.

At any rate, looking forward to pressing on and encouraging others...as I know I will be encouraged.

Cynthia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: WelcomeCynthia, smtirado and Barbara---you have come to the right place.......take it one day at a time and learn a little more each day to add to your kit of weight loss tools.....post and read and every day....it really helps.

:flowerforyou: Connie, congrats on your weight loss.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I'm short of time tonight, so I'll just report that today was my 4th day in a row of doing yoga and I stayed within my calories.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I hate Daylight Savings Time. That is all...
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

It is late, or early, depending upon your point of view, and I should be in bed, but as you can see I am not. I worked today until 8p. Then I went to my parents' apartment to clean up the aftermath of my dad making dinner--not as bad as I feared. Scrambled eggs and sausage can't create to much of a mess.

I also came up with a solution to how I can give my mom the help she needs right now without driving myself crazier than I already am and/or losing my job. I made contact with an acquaintance that used to work at the same place I do. She is now doing in home care for ambulatory elderly, and has some free hours as a client recently passed away. My mom met her when she was one of those helping me move them from one apartment to another within the facility they live in, and they hit it off, so when I suggested Jeannette might be the solution to our problem, mom agreed. Starting Thursday, she will be coming at least two afternoons per week. She can do the weekly cleaning, laundry, bed changing, etc. and make dinner those two nights, plus come up with food options that require minimal preparation--something she already does for two other clients. This will fit in nicely with my schedule as I can cover the days when I am not working til 8 or 9 at night.

I mentioned my friend who lost her step dad last week, and her job on the same day. It appears she has already found another, and it will utilize her background in real estate and mortgage financing. She is very happy--and relieved!!!:drinker: :drinker:

Welcome to "another Barbara."-AKA bsfriese. Ok here is a recap of the Barbara's on this thread so far:

Barbara #1 --Barbiecat --oft referred to as "Barbie"
    Barbara# 2 --Weaklink109... AKA "Me":bigsmile: --usually referred to as "Barb"
    Barbara# 3 --Auntiebk --also referred to as "Barb" just to keep things interesting, and now
    Barbara # 4 --bsfriese -- not sure what we can call you. I DON'T think including JUST the first two letters of the login name would be a good way to differentiate ...for obvious reasons!!!:wink:

We also have a couple of Suzy's, and two Kathy's.

So far, only one Faye--who is "anotheryrolder--Thank you for the GREAT sounding sandwich recipe.

And, we all know there is only ONE JACKIE!!!

I must share a joke before quitting for the night:

Amy, a blonde city girl, married a Montana rancher. One morning on his way out to check on the cows, the rancher says to Amy, "the insemination man is coming over to impregnate one of our cows today. I drove a nail into the 2 by 4 just above the cow's stall in the barn. You show him where the cow is when he gets here, OK?"

The rancher leaves for the fields. After a while, the artificial insemination man arrives and knocks on the front door. Amy takes him down to the barn. They walk along the row of cows and when she sees the nail, she tells him, "This is the one...right here."

The man, assuming he is dealing with an air head blonde, asks, "Tell me lady, cause I'm dying to know...how would YOU know this is the cow to be bred?"

“That's simple. By the nail over its stall," Amy explains very confidently.

Laughing rudely at her, the man says, "And what, pray tell, is the nail for?"

The blonde turns to walk away, and says sweetly over her shoulder, "I guess it's to hang your pants on.":huh: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And on that note, I bid you good night, or good morning, which is what I think it is in Jackie's part of the world!!!

Barb (#2):bigsmile:

PS--MacMadame-- My body agrees with you about DST. I woke this morning feeling like I was recovering from a hangover, and the feeling was made worse by knowing I hadn't had anything the night before!! My tired old bones just didn't appreciate being shorted on sleep.:yawn:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

This was in an e-mail my sister sent me. I thought it was good and wanted to share.

Busy morning, don't have time to read the posts right now but will be back this afternoon:

Thoughts Have Power

Keep your thoughts positive
    because your thoughts become your words.
    Keep your words positive because your words become your actions.
    Keep your actions positive because your actions become your habits.
    Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values.
    Keep your values positive because they become your destiny.

Gandhi

Cindy
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Good morning - and I mean that literally.
    Spring has sprung in the northeast. I sat in the sun for hours yesterday, relishing the sun's warmth. We had no power for 3 days. And we are the lucky ones - lots of people are still out . We're also lucky because we had water and, with propane gas, could take hot showers and use our cooktop and grill. Lastly, the one tree that fell on our property was in the woods and fell away from our neighbor's fence.

My happiness doesn't end here. I am ecstatic to report huge progress in the past week. I must have burned alot of calories trying to stay warm because my weight loss ticker has finally moved for the first time in months!!:laugh:

I will need time to review all the missed posts. I need manage to skim Barb #2's joke. I love starting my day with a laugh. Thank you.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Zaza
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    ...I am ecstatic to report huge progress in the past week. I must have burned alot of calories trying to stay warm because my weight loss ticker has finally moved for the first time in months!!:laugh: Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Zaza

Congratulations! I know what a thrill it is to finally see the scale or tape move downward after hitting a plateau. :flowerforyou:

I went to the doctor yesterday for my annual poke and prod session. Bad news is he found something that needs burning off and the exam made me cramp most of last night. The good news is how pleased he was with my weight loss progress. He asked lots of questions about what I was and wasn't doing. But the most exciting news of all was that I bought a new denim skirt to replace my favorite one that has been falling off me and it was a SIZE 10! :happy: I still see rolls and bulges in places they don't belong, but this was my goal from last February so I'm feeling a major sense of accomplishment.

I plan to keep on keeping on and see just what size that turns out to be. I'm all done setting size goals. Now I just want to get toned, whatever size that turns out to be. BTW, Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser says not to waste time doing crunches until you lose all the weight you want to lose ~ or else you'll just build a wall of muscle on top of of your fat. :noway: News to me.... Maybe I'll hold off on these stability ball workouts and bump up the cardio until I get the rest of these rolls gone.
  • zaza54
    Options
    Yeah Susan! Congrats on the size 10!!:flowerforyou:
  • burgessg
    burgessg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wanted to drop by and thank you for the encouraging words and giving me pointers.... :)
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Another warm, sunny day in MT. The snow is melting fast so I'd better get out to ski a few runs before it is gone. Our youngest son comes out this Friday for a week during his "spring break" so I do hope there will be snow left for him!

Connie & Zaza: Congratulation on your losses! nothing inspires like success!
    Exermom: Thx for the calorie count on the muffins. Will have to try those to keep in the freezer for frantic mornings.
    Arborsong: I am sorry that life now is all work and no play. Good for you for posting, though!
    Weaklink(Barb): I LOVE your joke. Thanks for the good laugh!
    Mama Cindy: I really like your Gandi Quote. I need to read that every day! (and thanks for the source info about the SoleE-35)
    SuzyQ: Way to go on the size 10! What a great reward for hard work.
    chicynth & bsfriese: Welcome, welcome!!! This is a great group of helpful women!
    RebelRenny & bsfriese(Barbara): Weddings are such fun!!! Congratulations & good luck on being the stunning Mothers of the Bride & Groom
    Mary: Have fun on your camping trip!!!
    Faye: Congratulations on no gain after the long weekend. That is tough to do. AND you have your GARDEN PLANTED!!! So, so jealous and can't wait to get that done when I get home. (if it EVER stops raining in SC)

Have a nice day everyone! Kackie
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It has been interesting to find that since we've been eating 3 veggies and 3 fruits a day and drinking our water, we don't want to drink anything with our meals. That has never been the case with any of us. The scale finally moved for me, 3.5 pounds this past week. (:blushing: the down side is that I never entered the 6 pounds that I had gained, so my ticker doesn't reflect a loss...:blushing: ) Oh well...life goes on! Have a good afternoon!!:flowerforyou:
  • zaza54
    Options
    Congrats doobiedoo - that is great progress!
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well ...Good evening everyone!! I'm not really checking in ...haven't a clue what the scales will say! Still in UK and we're off to the sun tomorrow .Up at 3.30am - :laugh: not much new there then!!
    I haven't been eating tooooo badly so far but the wine has flowed a bit more than usual!! :glasses:
    I've read all the posts ...to keep abreast with things so far.
    :flowerforyou: welcome Newbies ... well done oldies on all the weightloss ....Barb#2 ....:laugh: .loved the joke!!
    So for now....it'll be cheerio until we're back in the UK
    I think I'll miss you all ....:sad: No II know I'll miss you!!
    BFN:heart:
    Jackie