WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• trudy735
    trudy735 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I am 56 and and in the last seven years i gained 100 lbs . Working on it and motivated. My biggest ememy is sugar. I can eat all day. To date i have lost 70 lbs with 30 to go.
    859190.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • trudy735
    trudy735 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am 56 and well on my way. My biggest problem is sugar, I love it. I have 30 lbs to go.

859190.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :flowerforyou:

After trying so hard at the weekend I have gained 2 pounds :sad: I think I know where I have gone wrong and so will (hopefully) do better next weekend. I went to see my mum and dad on Sunday and had a cuppa had a bowl of strawberry trifle ( which with everything else I ate on Sunday took me over my calories.)

Back on track today :smile: just entered my food and I am slightly under my calorie allowance so onwards and upwards :drinker: or should that be downwards :laugh:

The weather today has been awful - cold and raining most of the day so didn't get out for a lunchtime walk. I am sooooo fed up of cold wet weather. Can't wait for warmer days, I'm sure I will feel tons better once I see a bit of sunshine. The clocks go back an hour this weekend (British summer time) maybe it will start to warm up at last :smile:

Well I'll say goodnight there's a few things I need to do before bed :yawn:

Viv
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Cindy: I like your plan! I really feel like part of the group here and will keep up the food journaling, exercise, etc. Thanks for the support :flowerforyou:
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wanted to know if anyone else suffers with "bad" knees....sometimes they just seem to flare up and get worse..I do a walk with quite a few hills and I've been wearing those light knees braces...anyone have other remedies?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I hope you guys are doing better than I am. I just can't seem to make myself exercise lately. I haven't gained, but I want to lose, not just stay the same. I keep thinking it is the time of day I choose, but I think I am just unmotivated. :sad:
    Maybe you haven't found the right exercise yet.

What kinds of stuff do you like to do and what are you doing?
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it again. Typed a mega long post and hit the wrong #&%*(#&$* sequence of keys again and lost the whole $&#(*$& thing!:mad: Grrrrr...:angry:

So super quick recap…

Debbie (the real thing) thanks for the wallpaper removal tip…will try it next time. For right now, after spending two days at it, there is still some residual glue, but the painter says he will sand it…so I’ll let him!:tongue:

:flowerforyou: Welcome Miswen, trudy735 and sunshine. Great place to be…come often!

Mary – re camping trip, sorry the weather was lousy. Re the overindulgence…you and many others on this site are all correct…today is a New Day!

Barbara (BK) – re being on the same schedule…I work temp jobs and find that when I am working full days I don’t have time to do MFP as thoroughly as I like…thus I’ll log food but not read the thread or post. Makes me get way behind and I don’t like it. Got called today so am working Thrs, Fri, Mon and Tue, 8-5, but as I’ll have the weekend shouldn’t get behind this time!

Kathy (pmjsmom) thanks for the diet soda cake recipe. It sounds delicious!

Spaniel – re the $2000 diet. I’m with Cindy! Save the $600 for clothes. Use the food journal to stay accountable for your food, exercise, and come here for your atta-girls or shoulders to cry on. We’re a lot cheaper and sure to be a lot more fun!!

Cindy – I’m with you on the sore muscles from heavy housework. Yesterday we moved furniture and today my torso is really sore.

Suzanita – re sore knees. I’ve reached the stage where I have lots and lots of sore spots on this poor body. Hips ache when I sleep on them, right knee pops like crazy when I walk, toes and feet hurt (only sometimes), have tingling in my right arm from a previously bulging disc when I sleep wrong or have my neck bent back for long periods. It’s tough getting old but we have to keep moving through it because the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about.

Barbie – re finding other ways to treat myself…I’m working on it. I have promised myself a massage when I reach the 50 pounds lost milestone, but that’s still 7 pounds away! Re the size 4 jeans – You Rock!!:glasses:

Speaking of housework, I stripped our bed this morning and I never got around to making it. As it’s now 9:04 PM (took me 10 minutes to retype my post! -- I have go quit being stubborn about typing it in the WP program first) I’d better go make it!

Hope everyone has a good remainder of the night and a good tomorrow. Jackie – hope you are having a good time on your trip…wherever you are!!

Later! :heart: Terri:heart:
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So true! Thanks for the reminder that it really just matters that I am out there walking regardless of the aches and pains! Actually I am really blessed that I can be outside and mixing it up with nature and just enjoying the moment.
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    MacMadame, I am very large and have some trouble breathing, so I don't feel ready to do much, but I have found walk away the pounds and that seems to challenge me fairly well. I can do the mile with no problem and hope to get started on the 2 and 3 mile ones soon. Its enough for me until I shed some pounds. I don't know yet if the difficulty breathing is caused by my extra weight or asthma. But I did my exercises tonight and have gotten lots of motivation and help from all you girls. thanks to everyone.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Suzanita, I have tendonitis mainly in my left knee and a little in my right. My doctor had me buy a support strap for it. What is your knee problem?

:flowerforyou: Terri, I can't count the number of times that I have accidentally delete everything that I had typed. I just give up and turn my computer off when that happens. So frustrating.

Hey, a massage is a great motivational tool. I have been wanting one. Soooo, if I can get 20 pounds off of me I think I will splurge on one.

I went to a meeting at my girls' school for their trip to Florida next week. Wow, a week without any kids. Can't wait. My husband and I will also be celebrating our anniversary while they are gone.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    MacMadame, I am very large and have some trouble breathing, so I don't feel ready to do much, but I have found walk away the pounds and that seems to challenge me fairly well. I can do the mile with no problem and hope to get started on the 2 and 3 mile ones soon. Its enough for me until I shed some pounds. I don't know yet if the difficulty breathing is caused by my extra weight or asthma. But I did my exercises tonight and have gotten lots of motivation and help from all you girls. thanks to everyone.
    The reason I asked is that a lot of people think of exercise in a traditional way. It's walking or running or going to the gym or working out to a workout tape. And ... those things bore them to tears!! It's really hard to be motivated if your exercise isn't fun for you.

Exercise is just moving your body and there are lots of ways to do it. I like to swim, bike, run, do water aerobics, pilates and crossfit. So I do like the things that people traditionally think of as exercise. But walking is something I just can't do. I can go for a walk with a friend as a way to talk ... like at work when we want to talk about work, a friend and I go on a "***** walk" where we walk around the campus and ***** about work! :laugh: But I could never walk 3 miles like some of the ladies here. I am so impressed they can do that!

So, basically, if you aren't motivated to do exercise, maybe you just haven't found the right one for you yet. It will definitely get easier to find one as you lose weight because you'll have more choices. And some exercises grow on you. I didn't like to run when I started. Now I love it! (I'm still kind of in shock over that one.)

I just don't like to see people miss out on the great things that exercise can bring to your life because they haven't found the right exercise for them. I'm kind of on a mission about it. Hee.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: madgoth, a woman who lost a lot of weight, said, "if you're moving, you're losing" so I try to be up and about as much as possible
    some of it is formal exercise (walking, dancing, exercise bike, yoga) and some of it is housework, putting the laundry away one item at a time, walking the dogs, standing and stretching while watching TV.....it all helps.

:flowerforyou: Becky, I hope you don't enjoy your week without kids so much that you change the locks :laugh: :laugh: we've been without kids for a long time and we love it.

:flowerforyou: Terri, I've started meeting my friends for a walk or to do errands instead of for lunch.....it saves money and calories and I still get to see the people I like. Your massage plan sound fabulous.

:flowerforyou: mary, you sure had a good attitude about the camping trip that got shortened by weather.....a good attitude is the most important thing to take with you wherever you go.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I'm glad you're back with us......best wishes to you daughter for her recovery from the surgery

:flowerforyou: Suzanita, do you live far from San Francisco? do you go there often? It takes practice to enjoy visiting new places and finding things to do besides eating.

:flowerforyou: Denise, I'm glad you're back and that your vacation at the Lakes went well.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: spaniel, I agree with the others
    stay with MFP and use the money for new clothes, exercise equipment, and non-food prizes for yourself as you reach new weight loss goals.

:flowerforyou: I got a message today from Barb (weaklink)....she may not be posting for awhile because her parents need a lot of attention. She didn't want anyone to worry about her. She also had to cancel the vacation she had planned to drive north.

I know I missed a lot of people but I'm starting to fall asleep. I'm cooking a turkey tomorrow and having friends to dinner....I love turkey at the non-traditional times.
    :heart: hugs:heart: Barbie
  • CHRISSYEPSON
    Options
    I think bad knees are just part of the aging process. I also have achy knees, just grin and bear it.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Still stuggling to lose my weight. Been going to WW but I feel counting calories is the best . Do you have any recipes to share?
    My goal is to have lost 20 pounds by July.

Hi, I'm one of those who works and cooks for family (none who are overweight like me) and I've gotten a lot of good recipes from the recipes forums here on MFP. One of my favorites is the crock pot thread, but there are many threads going there. Even though I have many cookbooks I got a new one that has the calories and nutritional information in it. The one I got is called something like 450 meals in 30 minutes. It has really helped.

Good luck,

Jeannie
  • anotheryrolder
    Options
    Hi Suzanita,

Naturally I have no idea what your knee issues are, but for my aches and pains I take glucosamine liquid. It takes a while to see results with it, but it helps my knees and shoulder (arthritis) and wrists (carpal tunnel). It helps me, along with exercise, to do most of what I want to do. Hopefully when the weight comes down, I can do more that is still evading my abilities (hopping exercises, walking downhill without pain, jogging, among others). Results may vary. Good luck and keep plugging away! :happy:

Faye
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for the word about Barb, was missing her posts along with vacationing Jackie

Loved the Thursday-Sunday weekend justificsations. Sounds EXACTLY like me. I'm with Viv, have been "treating" myself to emptycaloriefood, beer or wine, then more emptycaloriefood. for decades! Foregoing booze weekdays this Lent has been harder than expected, but Somebody upstairs must be helping cuz I haven't cheated once . . . so far!

Madgoth MamaCindy and MacMadame are 100 % right! You have to find some activity you like. I've always been one of those people who lie down until the urge to exercise passes... until I eliminated the dread word "exercise" from my inner vocabulary, substituted "activity", found yoga, then line dancing and now scottish dancing. I get really short of breath in the fast dances or walking up the least little slope, could be the 30 yrs of smoking (smoke-free now for 10 years thankyouverymuch!), could be the extra 45 pounds. Yes, sometimes I have to stop and catch my breath. Right now there's an up slope I have to stop on 3 times... but one day I'll only have to stop twice, then once, then... Barbie also said it right, if your Moving, your Losing!

Mary sleet and snow? Thank goodness for motels and neices' houses and good attitudes! Hope the rest of your family was as positive as you!

Michelle cat yoga ;) an HOUR of wii hulahoop?!? Balance is off only SOME days? This from she-who-snowballs down the ski jump more often than not. Will look for that Spinach bacon tartlet from Taste of Home,sounds YUMMY! Have been struggling with your Board issues. Yes I think the guy acted like a jerk. Yes fundraising is the bitter truth of non-profits. If I were you I'd find a more congenial board, then find some fund raising activity I could support to do my share of the yucky task. Some way of offering people a chance to do good by giving, but with no pressure. When you figure out how to do that, would you tell me? :wink:

pmjsmom Kathy "(A neighbor:devil: had let her small animals go:cry: because she was tired of them!) " Grr makes me crazy/mad... :mad: :explode: but then God sent a Krispy angel to bring Lily to you so she could end her days in peace and safety. Wow you really DO get a workout, what a great name "Live goods!"

Rebel running 1/3 of the way is more than "a bit" Great Job! You are so right about the coffee. Tea too!
    I've been trying to run but at best its a jigglejogging few steps...

RichmondHillgal Whos the cutie on your ticker? Congrats on quitting smoking and the 2 5Ks. 10K wow!

Suzanita How jealous I am of your SF evening. Some of the things I miss most about the Bay Area are the Sourdough bread, the great, cheap produce, the sourdough bread, the really good cheap California red wine, and of course the sourdough bread... Guess its just as well we live in Idaho now ;} This site is GREAT for getting back on track right away instead of doing weeks or months more damage. These gals are the best! As for knees, I take Knox gelatine every day, and after about 3 weeks it helps the pain walking downstairs. I used to take the Knox gelatine/glucosamine/chondroitin but didn't like some of the things I read about either the glucosame or the chondroitin, and now can't remember what it was. Does anyone remember Vioxx? Now that was something that WORKED. Glad I only took it when I was traveling or really suffering and always went off it for a couple of months between times.

SuzyQ Annual exam? If anyone can stability ball her way into a 2 piece its you! Do Violet and Muffin "help" like Brandy/Tasha/Shilo help Barbie? and Michelles cats help her?

Terri - The massage as treat was just what I needed to hear. Won't wait as long as the rest of you though, soon as I hit the 15 lb down mark I'm making the call. 20 lbs will be a new pair of shoes. . . ;}

chrissyepson - maybe bad knees are part and parcel of the accumulation of years :tongue: , but the accumulation of pounds just makes them worse. Every gal who's on this thread is doing the #1 best thing she can to relieve knee pain... take off those pounds! :flowerforyou:

Hugs to all,
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: auntiebk, I am so glad that you mentioned the problem with wine and booze. I really think that is what is keeping me from losing more. It stands to reason since I also have trouble eating healthy on the weekends and that is when the bottle gets uncorked. Let us know if you lose more since you have given it up for Lent.

I have read that biking is easier on the knees than jogging, running or even walking. This is because you are doing smooth movements. I know that riding my bike doesn't seem to make my knee hurt.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, I don't need to change the lock for one of my daughters. She thought that her house key would look much better in color. So, she painted it with nail polish. It doesn't work now.:laugh:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.

This is the first time I've had to post. It's been a busy day. We had a consultant come out and give us an estimate for a metal roof today. 29K Wow, who knew they went for that much! Of course hubby started with the top of the line but that is a little steep. Yes we knew they cost a lot more than shingles. The Company will give us a 7K discount if we keep a sign in the yard for 4 months and give them 3 referrals. Even bringing the cost down to 22K that's pretty steep. He told us that shingles start at around 8K. There's a lot more that needs to be done to this house so we will have to make a decision about which way we want to go.

I have had a good exercise day 455 calories burned. Well I have plenty of calories to eat but am over on my fat grams so I guess I'll be eating fruit or veggies.

I also just got finished planting a bed of spinach. Hopefully it will germinate. My little seedlings are coming along. My purple tomatoes have germinated. I sowed them in these little expandable peat pots. Eric says they look spindly so I'm going to have to put them in bigger pots with more dirt. I told him he can do it next time. He was in some class in high school where he said they started seed in pig manure and other stuff and the plants came up really healthy. I told him he can do it next time. Ugh, men, well maybe not all men but sometimes they are just know it alls! Okay, venting over because he is great in so many other ways.

Menopause just s*cks.:mad: I keep thinking I'm done and then Tom shows back up. Oh, well what's a girl to do?

Kitchen is calling me. It wants to be cleaned up really badly.

Cindy
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading everyone’s posts just now. What a great group of ladies! Barbie, thanks for the heads up on Barb (weak link). Sorry to hear she had to cancel her trip north.

:bigsmile: I got back on the treadmill today for the first time in three weeks (to the day). As my knee was still hurting on March 2 from “the fall” on February 9, I decided to let it have a few weeks rest to see if it got better. I also got into the doctor’s office and had it ex-rayed. She could tell from just looking at it there was a lot of water around the bursa, which was making everything so painful. Since nothing was broken I felt better about hitting the treadmill again! But the good news is that while I was slacking off on the treadmill time I was double-timing the housecleaning so I feel I did a respectable job of burning calories anyway. BUT, it felt really good to be listening to my tunes and walking again!!

:flowerforyou: Good job on giving up the beer/wine for lent Auntie Barbara! I cannot claim anything so saintly! I happen to like my beer/wine very much, but am happy to say that I usually have “one” no more than a couple times a week. My main problem is when we get together with the neighbors as the booze REALLY flows then…and there is always someone there to top off your glass so it’s easy to lose track!

Barbie, scheduling a walk instead of lunch sounds like a great idea! I have a friend that wants to take me out to lunch next week. I wonder if she’d like to save the money and just go for a walk? She’s on a diet so maybe she’ll go for it!

Well everyone…hubby’s grumping because I haven’t started dinner yet :grumble:, so I guess I’d better get a move on. Hope everyone is having a good day and making good choices. I chose French onion soup and salad for lunch. Could have been better without the soup, but it was really good and it was only a cup and not a bowl…so I will be happy for the better choice. I often settle for better instead of great, which is why my weight loss is so slow! However we are having grilled salmon, baked sweet potato and grilled asparagus for dinner so my calories are okay for the day!

Take care, :heart: Terri:heart:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

For what it is worth the doctor that fixed DD's hip said that vitamin C is one of the best things for joints and it is cheaper than gluclosomene. He also said that treadmills are not good ideas due to secondary movement can cause injuries. He swears by stationary bicycles. (upright with no resistance if your joints are really bad sitting with you hands behind your back grabbing the seat with your fingers.) DD was on the bike for 20 minutes within a day of the surgery. She has to do 20 minutes pr more 2x's a day for the next 3 months.

DD started vitamin C today, so we will see if it helps. I'm assuming it will take a while to prove anything.

Good luck to all of you with bad knees, hips, wrists, elbows, ankles, shoulders, backs and necks. It's hard to exercise when you hurt.

Jeannie