Diet Sodas?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    yep. some crap here and there is fine. but there are many people on this board who eat fast food every day and still consider themselves healthy.

they're not.

without nutritional health, all those other aspects of health are harder to attain.
    Well unless you're seeing their blood profiles, you really can't say that they aren't. The assumption is that if one ate fast food everyday, there NO WAY that they can be healthy. But you know as well as I know that there are actually people who can eat that way and be fine.
    The majority? Probably not, but again, if you don't personally know these people, you can only assume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

what do you constitute as fine? there's no way that eating fast food daily will give you better bloodwork than someone who never touches it. (I'm not saying you should never touch it - just for the sake of argument)

obviously genetics play a role, but if we come back to my old standard argument of a set of twins who are genetically identical - one eats fast food every day and stays in their macros and one eats "clean" and stays in their macros. my hypothesis is that they'd have significantly different bloodwork after whatever period of time you wanted to test, because one is eating a significantly higher level of cholesterol and bad fats and one isn't.

I know y'all don't agree with that, but it makes sense to me. Now I just need a research grant. :P
    It would be a good study. There are a few studies of twins separated at birth then meeting up later in life and in many of the cases, even though they had different diets, were very close to being the same in body size and body fat.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I thought soda drinking generally is prohibited on this WEIGHTLOSS sight? Just asking o.

ahhh no you're using logic.

many people on this board want to continue eating crap - just less of it - and somehow think that will make them healthy.

I have noticed this too and find it really surprising. I'm not here to just "lose weight" but be healthy and fit.
    The problem is that people entirely associate "crap" food with bad health. Health isn't just about food. Weight, nutrition, exercise, stress, environment, genetics, emotions, rest and ethnicity all play significant roles. You can eat/drink perfect, but if you sleep 4-5 hours a night, you might not be considered that healthy. Or say not exercise.
    If someone did that majority of the above and got the right amounts, chances are they should be fine. Some "crap" here or there in small amounts shouldn't deter someone from health. Heck even Olympic swimmers eat high calorie crap daily yet somehow are quite healthy.

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, some "crap" food every now and then is fine. I am not perfect with my diet but I still try to limit these foods. I see people who eat these bad foods every day and think it is still "healthy" as long as they are within their calorie goal. While they may lose weight, its certainly isn't the best approach and I wouldn't encourage it.

I have never been overweight but when I was in college I used to eat fast food every single day, and ended up having emergency surgery because of it. Just because you are within a healthy BMI doesn't mean you are healthy and I think some people here are focusing on numbers too much.

^ THIS. For some reason people on these boards don't understand that you can be "thin" or a "healthy weight" and still be unhealthy.

Exactly. I certainly had to learn that the hard way and it was not fun. I remember the Dr looked at my very puzzled and said most people my age rarely have this problem especially someone as thin and "fit" as I was. I've always been active and had an "atheletes" heart rate but it didn't matter. It was too late, the damage was already done and changing my diet wasn't enough to reverse it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes, some "crap" food every now and then is fine. I am not perfect with my diet but I still try to limit these foods. I see people who eat these bad foods every day and think it is still "healthy" as long as they are within their calorie goal. While they may lose weight, its certainly isn't the best approach and I wouldn't encourage it.

I have never been overweight but when I was in college I used to eat fast food every single day, and ended up having emergency surgery because of it. Just because you are within a healthy BMI doesn't mean you are healthy and I think some people here are focusing on numbers too much.
    I've made statements before that health isn't just about nutrition. There are lots of factors that play into it. But I will agree that focusing on just weight alone isn't going to solve all of a person's health issues. Weight is the number one factor for health related issues, and that's probably why most focus on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    yep. some crap here and there is fine. but there are many people on this board who eat fast food every day and still consider themselves healthy.

they're not.

without nutritional health, all those other aspects of health are harder to attain.
    Well unless you're seeing their blood profiles, you really can't say that they aren't. The assumption is that if one ate fast food everyday, there NO WAY that they can be healthy. But you know as well as I know that there are actually people who can eat that way and be fine.
    The majority? Probably not, but again, if you don't personally know these people, you can only assume.

IDEA Fitness member

what do you constitute as fine? there's no way that eating fast food daily will give you better bloodwork than someone who never touches it. (I'm not saying you should never touch it - just for the sake of argument)

obviously genetics play a role, but if we come back to my old standard argument of a set of twins who are genetically identical - one eats fast food every day and stays in their macros and one eats "clean" and stays in their macros. my hypothesis is that they'd have significantly different bloodwork after whatever period of time you wanted to test, because one is eating a significantly higher level of cholesterol and bad fats and one isn't.

I know y'all don't agree with that, but it makes sense to me. Now I just need a research grant. :P
    It would be a good study. There are a few studies of twins separated at birth then meeting up later in life and in many of the cases, even though they had different diets, were very close to being the same in body size and body fat.

IDEA Fitness member

this is true - i've heard about those studies. what i'm suggesting is probably a little more drastic of a dietary difference, but yeah I hear you.

i just think it'd be really interesting, and would solve a whole lot of these arguments! :P
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

they're not.

IDEA Fitness member

I have an identical twin. We used to eat the same, crap food all the time but I eat differently and my twin still eats crap. Our bodies look different despite the fact my twin is doing P90X and I'm doing Insanity. Not sure about our blood work but I'd be interested to see!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    If I were you...I wouldnt drink any kind of soda until I get to my goal weight, and even then , only once in a blue moon. You do know its only a potatoe chip difference in diet and regular soda. :huh:
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Pepsi Max and Coke Zero...only sodas I really drink anymore.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    On occasion I treat myself to a diet cherry dr pepper.... so good. Or Sprite Zero is pretty good as well.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is just to stay away from soda. In 1 year, the average person (that drinks 1 can) would lose 15 lbs. There is nothing of nutritional value in there. I too like soda, but aspartame is so bad for you, i drink a real soda once in awhile for a treat!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

they're not.

IDEA Fitness member

I have an identical twin. We used to eat the same, crap food all the time but I eat differently and my twin still eats crap. Our bodies look different despite the fact my twin is doing P90X and I'm doing Insanity. Not sure about our blood work but I'd be interested to see!

YES! That's amazing!

Food. Makes. A difference.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    sorry, but diet sodas are NOT healthy for you.

I totally agree but there are militant defenders of diet sodas on this forum, some who put credentials with their posts that objectively offer no additional credibility to their opinions, and they will fight back to these types of statements, lol.

I instead often say that there are better choices out there then regular or diet that are just as refreshing such as sparkling water. I found a wonderful drink at Kroger; its called La Croix sparkling water. My favorite is the coconut flavor. There are no sweeteners, artificial or real and the flavoring is naturally derived and there are no calories.

Since it has no artificial sweeteners I find that it does not stimulate my appetite like a diet Coke would- which to me is the largest problem with diet sodas- at least when viewed from my personal experience.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda or Regular Soda... Doesnt Matter. It will still slow you down in your workouts. You will still get tierd faster and not finish your goal for that week. Just note Soda is worse than candy.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I totally agree but there are militant defenders of diet sodas on this forum, some who put credentials with their posts that objectively offer no additional credibility to their opinions, and they will fight back to these types of statements, lol.
    Lol, there are lots of peer reviewed clinical studies on this site (use the search menu) dispelling the scare mongering of diet soda and aspartame. Let me know if you want to see them.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet Soda or Regular Soda... Doesnt Matter. It will still slow you down in your workouts. You will still get tierd faster and not finish your goal for that week. Just note Soda is worse than candy.
    Anecdotal if there's no actual study that you can use to actually back it up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
    Diet soda is so bad for you, I can't recommend any flavor. Growing evidence shows that Aspartame is just awful for you in many ways, just as NutraSweet was before it, and saccharine before that. It tastes terrible and it's basically poison. Google side effects of aspartame, or health effects of aspartame. Diet soda is not a healthy alternative.

They do make soda with stevia, found in health food stores (I found it in Sprouts), and probably Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I personally didn't care for the taste but it may be worth trying for you.

I would recommend sparkling water with 2 oz. of your favorite healthy juice, like pomegranate, added to it. I find it very tasty and very few calories.

if you don't already drink diet soda regularly, why start?
  • greeentea
    greeentea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Give sparkling water a chance! So tasty.