How many times have you seen this? Some people don't get it!

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it assuming it fits their macros and calories and does not mean that the rest of their diet it nutrient deficient as a result. I see people on my FL eating that all the time - they still get results.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html

This!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    People are notoriously bad at estimating portion size and caloric value.

One user can end up logging too few calories versus the actual intake and be stuck at a plateau because they are not truly in a deficit (they are supposed to be at 1500 calories daily, yet those extra nibbles or miscalculations brings them up to 1900) - while the opposite can also be true - a user can be over-estimating caloric intake and seem to be losing at the lower intake (supposed to be at 1900 a day, but log slightly extra on their meals, just to be sure).

Accurate logging is such a huge variable that I am hard-pressed to believe the EMTWL advocates or the 1200-calorie devotees. The only thing you can do is educate yourself on the actual science behind the processes, and, of course, experience and take notes with your own diet.

While there are certain situations where it may not be as linear for everyone, the main premise is: The more active you are and the fewer calories you intake, the less fat you will have because your body will use that fat as fuel. The steepness of your deficit and the quickness of your loss is entirely dependent on your actual intake and activity level, and pushing either to the extreme does not usually pay off as far as long-term health, muscle mass, or sustainability of fat loss goes.

Pie.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree with the thread starter regarding fast foods. Some foods in McDonalds have an okay macro content except for.. Sodium. Yes, I might eat fast food if it fits on my macro for the day but the sodium content will just really make you stay away. Most of those burgers give 1000 mg of sodium per serving or even more. You wouldn't want to finish up your day with 3000 mg+ of sodium whew that will only cause water retention. Even if what you ate had small amount of fat and carbs but their sodium goes past beyond what you need for that meal it will be a factor to losing weight.
    Water is not fat.

And I eat around 700-1,500 mg of sodium a day on average, so one day of 3,000 is not going to hurt me overall. People who are not hypertensive don't need to worry so much about sodium.

Its not fat but your body which has a lot of water content will affect your weight. Water weight is usually one of the reasons why our weights usually fluctuates. People don't need to be hypertensive to worry about sodium. In the long run it will lead to problems if you constantly go over the usual. Then again, as you've said one day of 3,000 mg will not hurt you overall but in the long run if you continue it will.
    But if you are retaining water, you can still lose fat and therefore, weight. What the scale says is not the be all and end all. You're going to fluctuate no matter what you do.

If someone wants a Big Mac and has the calories/macros for it, let that person have a freaking BIg Mac. Geez.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    joined January 2013.... today is Jan 8?? 50+ posts in 8 days... When Does the OP even find the time to workout AND mind other folks business?
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have a question? Are you still a certified personal trainer if you have 0 clients? Like if people can't stand you and would never pay for your advice, can you still claim the title?

Just wondering...

good one big guy
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this much fun in... oh, gosh. I don't know HOW long!:laugh:

Since an hour ago when what's her name posted herself pretty much naked in hopes we saw her progress?

I didn't follow that thread but was pretty shocked at the pictures. I only saw the first few comments, which were encouraging. I thought maybe I was the only one that was unsure if I was being a prude or what!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yes. Having abs makes one an expert at all things nutrition and fitness related.

Im not saying im an expert. BUT, when you go from 16% bodyfat to a lean 6.5% i think its safe to say i know a thing or two about it...
    [/quote]

Actually, you pretty much DID claim to be an expert. Remember this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/843022-eat-clean-get-lean
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LMAO, wow people calm down. Just saying that if you are going to the gym trying to achieve a certain goal, nutrition should be the first priority.

You have the wrong definition of nutrition with regard to achieving goals - try reading a few things.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    LMAO, wow people calm down. Just saying that if you are going to the gym trying to achieve a certain goal, nutrition should be the first priority.

Yes, I eat burgers and fries which hits all of my macros: protein, carbs, fat . . . granted I'm gluten free so there's no bun which off sets the carbs a little.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Since an hour ago when what's her name posted herself pretty much naked in hopes we saw her progress?

Oh we saw some things... but I'm not sure I noticed her progress... unless that's what her chest was nicknamed
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with the thread starter regarding fast foods. Some foods in McDonalds have an okay macro content except for.. Sodium. Yes, I might eat fast food if it fits on my macro for the day but the sodium content will just really make you stay away. Most of those burgers give 1000 mg of sodium per serving or even more. You wouldn't want to finish up your day with 3000 mg+ of sodium whew that will only cause water retention. Even if what you ate had small amount of fat and carbs but their sodium goes past beyond what you need for that meal it will be a factor to losing weight.

You're not the boss of me! I have no medical reason to restrict sodium, and neither do most people. I will have as much as I like, thanks! I actually find restricting sodium makes me more sensitive to the associated bloating, if I just have as much as I like regularly my body takes care of the electrolyte balancing on it's own.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

EEEK! I missed that!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Every Thursday, I box for an hour (sometimes two)... and then I head straight to Tim Horton's for a small double double with espresso and two chicken chipotle snack wraps... WITH BACON AND SWISS CHEESE.

*holding head up proudly* I will not apologize, nor will I feel guilty for doing this

:flowerforyou:
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I work out at planet fitness and last night was apparently pizza night. They serve pizza at the gym... to people trying to lose weight, and people were actually eating it.

I'm all about moderation but I'm not about to bust my butt on a workout and destroy it in 30 seconds while walking out the gym doors.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yes. Having abs makes one an expert at all things nutrition and fitness related.

Im not saying im an expert. BUT, when you go from 16% bodyfat to a lean 6.5% i think its safe to say i know a thing or two about it...
    Bull.

I've gone from 60% bodyfat to 21% and I don't know crap.

Your argument is invalid.

umm, no

umm, yes
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I do it plenty. Eat big, lift big.

And I don't know you, so I certainly don't care what you think.

Highly doubful you "lift big." but have a nice day

Been here at most a week, already calling someone a liar! Nice!

Yeah...you don't know ""the Sarauk" :D
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Bull.

I've gone from 60% bodyfat to 21% and I don't know crap.

Your argument is invalid.

umm, no
    You're a peach.

Just a lovely, little peach.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

EEEK! I missed that!

MFP mods removed the pictures, but here's the thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/843239-nsv-w-pics
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Eats at McDonalds and other fast food places...

Is a failure ....
    michael_phelps.jpg

Not. :laugh:

CLEARLY those medals are fake! No one can succeed if they eat fast food! NO ONE! Budda has SPOKEN!

~shoves big mac in mouth~ NOM NOM
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calorie/macronutrient goals there is no reason not to have Wendy's or McDonald's. I would think after a hard workout would be the optimal time to grab a McRib.

Mmmmmm ...... McRib...... mmmmmmm

I disagree with this.

me too. any fast food is pretty much terrible for you over the long run. you can get much better nutrients out of real food that you have prepared yourself.

What I don't get even more than the fast food thing. People who come into the gym reeking of smoke. People who smoke right outside the gym doors when they leave. Isn't smoking counterproductive? How do you breathe right when you've just sucked down a cigarette right before your work out.

THIS PERSON GETS IT