How many times have you seen this? Some people don't get it!

Options

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what to eat after a workout so I don't turn in to an arrogant douche?

Anyone?

The chic next door?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How many times have you seen people go to the gym and work their *kitten* off... only to stop at Wendy's or Mcdonald's after their workouts. Come on people, your body wants clean food! Or how many times have you heard "I'm not seeing any results" I ask what they had to eat for lunch and they say "I had to run to Arbys because I didn't bring my lunch."

You are what you eat! Sorry just venting a little lol.

Here's my reply, but I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read all 18 pages so perhaps some of this bears repeating.

Before I get into this, this is nothing personal towards the OP and I'm going on a tangent here:

If you're saying that people who casually exercise and use that as an excuse to go overeat a bunch of nutrient sparse foods thinking that their sub-par exercise justifies having a sub-par diet, then I would absolutely agree with your premise.

If you're saying that the individual food sources that you choose significantly matter towards your physique once macronutrient and micronutrient sufficiency are met (<-- key statement), then I would absolutely disagree with you and suggest that your results weren't due to the supposed cleanliness of your food, they were due to your training and your total nutrient intake.

Total nutrient intake is obviously composed of your individual food choices but as long as you are able to sufficiently nourish yourself, and as long as you're able to meet macronutrient demands for your body composition/training goals, then you've got an awful lot of leeway in selecting food items and "cleanliness" is certainly not a factor in the least.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

As an aside: Regarding the whole physique=knowledge thing, and we see it especially in juiced individuals (not saying this about the OP specifically). You get someone who is obviously jacked and lean, and they think they know what they're talking because:

I'm big and lean ---> I eat these foods ----> Therefore my results are due to these foods. (And you can replace food with just about anything else that gets discussed).

This is just crap logic.

I'm going to make a bold statement. You know who knows more than anyone on this site?
    This guy:
    34o55hu.jpg

Guess what? I'm going to wager that I'm more muscular and leaner than he is. I am going to wager that he knows WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I do about fitness/nutrition. He's one of the best in the field.

So you can't necessarily equate physique to knowledge. That's a mistake and it's certainly not a justification for what sometimes can be crappy broscience.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    I don't think it's my business what other people eat. I have a hard enough time keeping up with what I'm eating!

Exactly! What and how another person meets or sets their requirements is based soley on their very own long term resutls. After a rigorous workout, the last thing that I am thinking about is eating McDs, but to each is own. I am working to improve me. :happy:
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what to eat after a workout so I don't turn in to an arrogant douche?

Anyone?

Snicker
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've sinned or done something horribly wrong if I workout and then go to fast food.

Agreed. I don't do fast "food" Lol
  • Sheila1181
    Sheila1181 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't make a habit of following random people home from the gym, so I have no idea what they eat.

I agree LOL
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    What I see more often than that, is people who judge others for doing things they "feel' they are better than.

I can understand if someone wants to work their butt off so they can enjoy McD's or BK.

Running for 40 miunutes then gettting a BigMac is much better than just getting a BigMac.

I'm glad you shared your high horse though, I bet it made a bunch of people feel better about themselves.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the last word in!

Tacos.
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    wasn't serious! I love me some beef..
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    How many times have you seen people go to the gym and work their *kitten* off... only to stop at Wendy's or Mcdonald's after their workouts. Come on people, your body wants clean food! Or how many times have you heard "I'm not seeing any results" I ask what they had to eat for lunch and they say "I had to run to Arbys because I didn't bring my lunch."

Thanks for your vent.
    Luckily your opinion is just that, an opinion.
    If someone works their *kitten* off and wants to treat themselves to a junk food meal for the day, LET THEM. I mean dont get me wrong if they are doing this every day then complaining then i guess that is a problem. however on occasion I see nothing wrong with this and my body proves that. We dont have to be perfect. We just need to be healthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Tacos.

My place or yours :wink:
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    For me, I have greater success when I work "non-clean" food into my diet.

WHAT??? Seriously????
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Tacos.

When the question is "tacos" the answer is always yours.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Tacos.

When the question is "tacos" the answer is always yours.

:flowerforyou: :blushing: :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I see this all the time.
    It's not something I allow to bother me too much, especially since IT'S ME DOING IT :laugh:
    Seriously, my results have been stellar, and I eat clean 70% of the time.
    Nutrition can indeed wreck progress, but let's not get Nazi about it.
  • kiwisara
    kiwisara Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My interpretation of the original post is that it is a judgement. I am not an expert on nutrition, fitness or psychology, in fact, I'm not really an expert on anything except me and even then I'm not so sure - but I'm good at googling.

"We may not consciously be aware that tearing down others can inflate ourselves. Yet the underlying message is something like, I wouldn’t think of doing such a thing, or I could never do that or I am shocked and aghast at such behavior. We are usually noting how utterly different we are from these people or how we would simply never sink to their level. Criticizing others is not just an offensive move against them; it is also a defensive move to protect our own “purity".When we are judgmental, therefore, we need other people’s faults in order to dodge our own. Stated simply, judgmental thinking is addicted to other people’s faults or destructive behavior. Judgmentalism finds its identity in what it is not".
    - Terry Cooper 'Making Judgments without Being Judgmental: Nurturing a Clear Mind and a Generous Heart".

I'm not entirely comfortable with the source of this extract, and not knowing the author nor having read the book I don't know the true context of what he's saying, but I find interesting and I think it applies here. And I'm certainly not saying I'm not judgemental - I think we all are.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Tacos.

Oh, that would have rocked if the thread had ended right there.

Poop.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Here's my reply, but I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read all 18 pages so perhaps some of this bears repeating.

Before I get into this, this is nothing personal towards the OP and I'm going on a tangent here:

If you're saying that people who casually exercise and use that as an excuse to go overeat a bunch of nutrient sparse foods thinking that their sub-par exercise justifies having a sub-par diet, then I would absolutely agree with your premise.

If you're saying that the individual food sources that you choose significantly matter towards your physique once macronutrient and micronutrient sufficiency are met (<-- key statement), then I would absolutely disagree with you and suggest that your results weren't due to the supposed cleanliness of your food, they were due to your training and your total nutrient intake.

Total nutrient intake is obviously composed of your individual food choices but as long as you are able to sufficiently nourish yourself, and as long as you're able to meet macronutrient demands for your body composition/training goals, then you've got an awful lot of leeway in selecting food items and "cleanliness" is certainly not a factor in the least.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

As an aside: Regarding the whole physique=knowledge thing, and we see it especially in juiced individuals (not saying this about the OP specifically). You get someone who is obviously jacked and lean, and they think they know what they're talking because:

I'm big and lean ---> I eat these foods ----> Therefore my results are due to these foods. (And you can replace food with just about anything else that gets discussed).

This is just crap logic.

I'm going to make a bold statement. You know who knows more than anyone on this site?
    This guy:
    34o55hu.jpg

Guess what? I'm going to wager that I'm more muscular and leaner than he is. I am going to wager that he knows WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than I do about fitness/nutrition. He's one of the best in the field.

So you can't necessarily equate physique to knowledge. That's a mistake and it's certainly not a justification for what sometimes can be crappy broscience.

I am quoting this so this is hopefully the last thing on this thread as it is important for people to understand.

ETA: pants!...I rolled the bloody thing!
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    AAAHHHH We started it all over again!! We have no one to blame but ourselves!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    At least Sara's quote of SideSteel's post is the first thing here.